Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

HJE-Cobra posted:

Naw man, those aren't their names, that's their character descriptions.

I learned all about the pac ghost attack methods back when I was making Egg Mouth, the popular hit Smash Mouth egg-eating Pac Man knockoff

Did you finish it or did it go valve-time was it zybourne-clocked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

HJE-Cobra posted:

Naw man, those aren't their names, that's their character descriptions.

I learned all about the pac ghost attack methods back when I was making Egg Mouth, the popular hit Smash Mouth egg-eating Pac Man knockoff

Well according to HOW TO WIN AT PAC-MAN, it's the other way around.

HOW TO WIN AT PAC-MAN posted:

A formal introduction is in order. Meet the red monster Shadow, nicknamed "Blinky." He's the slyest of the monsters. He always seems to be on your trail (like a shadow). His buddy, the pink monster Speedy (nickname: "Pinky"), is the fastest of the four monsters. Though not as sly as Shadow, he can actually outrun you, unlike the other monsters. The light blue monster is Bashful, and is nicknamed "Inky." Bashful is the darling of the monsters. He is so shy that he will actually run away from you if confronted. Some of us have at times actually run through Bashful without injury. We're not quite sure why. The orange monster is Pokey, nicknamed "Clyde." He's an ambitious little monster - always willing to attack you - but he's quite slow. You can usually outrun him.

Emphasis mine. Also they're apparently Monsters, not Ghosts. Who knew!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Surlaw posted:

It’s a close tie for “weirdest arcade Pac game” between Pac Land (1984), a pretty bad platformer that’s getting resurrected as a stage in Smash Bros 4,

In fairness to Pac Land, it's also the very first side scrolling platformer so being a bit muddled is a natural result. The control scheme is pretty weird since it used all button input instead of a joystick and home ports often reflected that which made them tough to use.

I owned a copy of this, but for some weird reason I didn't encounter an actual Pac-Man machine until the 90's. I was prepared in case I did, though! Ms. Pac-Man was just a better game all around and it's obvious why it swept the original out of the way. Strangely enough, Ms. Pac-Man is very obscure in Japan.

I keep meaning to pick up the Pac-Man World games but the fact that no one ever says anything about them, positive or negative, doesn't make it a really compelling thing.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 20, 2014

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

limaCAT posted:

Did you finish it or did it go valve-time was it zybourne-clocked?

Yeah man, I made it in like a day back in 2011 for the egg-eating stuff. It was a different time.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/hjecobra/egg-mouth

There's a bunch of problems with it but I was too lazy to keep working on it to make it a perfect copy of Pac Man, so it's the best effort I could make in a day.

timp posted:

I would not trust a "How to Win at Pac-Man" book for definitive canon about the extensive Pac Man universe. Just look at the original Japanese Pac Man, it's pretty explicit there. Those are their personality traits.

See Wikipedia page for details
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghosts_(Pac-Man)

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 20, 2014

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

HJE-Cobra posted:

I would not trust a "How to Win at Pac-Man" book for definitive canon about the extensive Pac Man universe.

What the gently caress did you just say

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

timp posted:

What the puck did you just say

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
Pac-Man Monsters is a pretty good mobile phone game though it's just another Puzzle and Dragons clone.

A few weeks ago they had Galaga and Rally-X themed monsters and it was neat.

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

timp posted:

Oh poo poo!!!!! Goddamn

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Random Stranger posted:

I keep meaning to pick up the Pac-Man World games but the fact that no one ever says anything about them, positive or negative, doesn't make it a really compelling thing.

I played the demo for the first or second one a bunch and really liked it but never actually got the game. Also I liked any halfway competent 3D platform released then (and also still do).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I never knew that Ms. Pac-Man was not an "official" Pac-Man game. I learned something today.

Scratch-O posted:

CE DX is super fun, add me on Steam so we can rub our scores together

Also, Pac-Man Museum is a joke even at five bucks. Why can't we go back to the PlayStation Namco Museum games with the cool "walk around and explore a literal museum" sections? Those were the poo poo.

Also, what is this "no Pac-Man Vs." bullshit, I guess it goes along with the laziness of leaving out online multiplayer.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I want to repost this question asked by Shelf Adventure in the Smash thread:

Shelf Adventure posted:

Pacman is kind of weird because they keep trying to reinvent him and release platformers and poo poo, but no-one ever seems to talk about the games. Maybe it's just gaming circles that don't get into it but it just feels like one of those franchises that they keep releasing games for but nobody cares. Do they sell at all?

I haven't played a single Pac-man game since Pac-man 2, but I guess people are still buying and playing these other, newer Pac-man games? Who are they? Which ones?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I have a little brother who is 10 years old and is super excited about Pac-Man because he loves Pac-Man and plays Pac-Man Party and watches the Pac-Man show and poo poo, it's pretty surreal.

Pac-Man World 2 owned though.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Championship Edition, CEDX, Pac Pix, Pac n Roll, and Battle Royale are all worth playing. I don't know anyone who's ever played the Ghostly Adventures games but they're ugly as hell and I only play cute platformers.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

timp posted:

I want to repost this question asked by Shelf Adventure in the Smash thread:

I haven't played a single Pac-man game since Pac-man 2, but I guess people are still buying and playing these other, newer Pac-man games? Who are they? Which ones?

Pac-Man Vs. owned pretty hard. I think it only existed as a pack-in (pac-in? :v:) with something else on Gamecube, but there's also a version on the DS Namco Museum that I think is download-playable. Basically one person is Pac-Man and three others play as ghosts, and Pac-Man can see the whole screen (a GBA is required for this on the Gamecube version) but the ghosts can only see a small area around themselves. Whoever gets Pac-Man gets to be Pac-Man next. And for some reason Mario does running commentary while you play.

You'd think they would at least port it to Wii U since that's a legitimate use of the second screen, but I guess that's why I don't run a video game company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Pac Man Championship Edition DX+ is a good game. I like it because it's more of a puzzle game than a Pac Man game.

• Locked thread