Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best new Batman movie
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
View Results

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dontcareaboutname posted:

I think instead of making a batman movie again we should get a robin movie, then a string of night wing movies. Make a robin movie with three robins like 3 ninjas.

That seemed like 100% where they were going at the end of Rises, but Superman v. Batman: Dawn of Justice has probably put a big stop to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

I think instead of making a batman movie again we should get a robin movie, then a string of night wing movies. Make a robin movie with three robins like 3 ninjas.

That won't happen for a long time given what DC is doing with Grayson right now. There isn't a Nightwing anymore and Batman beat him up to prove he wasn't good enough or some hilarious garbage.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Trast posted:

That won't happen for a long time given what DC is doing with Grayson right now. There isn't a Nightwing anymore and Batman beat him up to prove he wasn't good enough or some hilarious garbage.

I don't think what's going on in the comics matters for the movies. DC is desperate to keep up with Marvel in the movie department - have you seen the list of announced DC movies? Everyone's getting one - there's an Aquaman movie on the horizon. So a Batman or Nightwing movie with Joseph Gordon Levitt doesn't seem entirely far-fetched.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Okay, here are the best Batman films:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. Batman (1966)
4. Batman (1989)
5. Batman Forever
6. Batman Returns
7. The Dark Knight Rises
8. Batman and Robin

And there are like 40 animated films: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_in_film

Phantasm, Gotham Knight, Subzero, and Return of the Joker are all pretty good.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Red posted:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. Batman (1966)
4. Batman (1989)
5. Batman Forever
6. Batman Returns
7. The Dark Knight Rises
8. Batman and Robin

And there are like 40 animated films: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_in_film

Phantasm, Gotham Knight, Subzero, and Return of the Joker are all pretty good.
You seem like you know your Batman.

Tell me why you think so highly of TDK and so lowly of TDKS?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

redshirt posted:

I don't think what's going on in the comics matters for the movies. DC is desperate to keep up with Marvel in the movie department - have you seen the list of announced DC movies? Everyone's getting one - there's an Aquaman movie on the horizon. So a Batman or Nightwing movie with Joseph Gordon Levitt doesn't seem entirely far-fetched.

I guess I wasn't very clear on that. What I should have said was DC doesn't seem to want to focus any effort on the character despite most casual fans knowing who Robin is.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Red posted:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. Batman (1966)
4. Batman (1989)
5. Batman Forever
6. Batman Returns
7. The Dark Knight Rises
8. Batman and Robin

why do you hate devito and walken

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
INT. CHOPPER - CONTINUOUS

A Spotter watches Bane peel off, hits the radio.

SPOTTER

(INTO RADIO)
One bike's pulled off, no hostage -

INT. BLAKE'S CRUISER - CONTINUOUS

Foley listens to the radio, hungry -

SPOTTER

(OVER RADIO)
Should we pursue?

FOLEY
Negative! Stay on the Batman!

BLAKE
But he's getting away!

FOLEY

(ANNOYED)
Who do you want to catch? Some
robber, or the son-of-a-bitch who
killed Harvey Dent?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

redshirt posted:

You seem like you know your Batman.

Tell me why you think so highly of TDK and so lowly of TDKS?

Rises isn't an awful film, just a poorly made one. With some editing, that could possibly be a great film.

- Joseph Gordon-Levitt just "figures out" Bruce Wayne is Batman?
- You can't loving understand Bane.
- Batman retires?
- The entire "Gotham City held hostage" thing was overly complicated and nonsensical.
- How did the police survive months underground with no supplies?

Dark Knight is a good, but basic, hero film that probably does run a little long, and is absolutely carried by the actors.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

why do you hate devito and walken

Actually, I've come to really like Returns as time has passed. But I still really like Forever personally, and the first two Nolan films are stronger overall.

Stylistically, Returns is probably the most fun.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Red posted:

Rises isn't an awful film, just a poorly made one. With some editing, that could possibly be a great film.

- Joseph Gordon-Levitt just "figures out" Bruce Wayne is Batman?
- You can't loving understand Bane.
- Batman retires?
- The entire "Gotham City held hostage" thing was overly complicated and nonsensical.
- How did the police survive months underground with no supplies?

Dark Knight is a good, but basic, hero film that probably does run a little long, and is absolutely carried by the actors.

1. He explains why - he's an orphan, filled with rage. All the other orphans made up stories about Bruce Wayne, billionaire orphan. Is it so far fetched that a guy put the pieces together and figured out who Batman is? I think not.
2. Agreed on my first viewing. It was frustrating. On my rewatches, however, I understand Bane perfectly, and have come to love his voice/the character choice.
3. Why not? The end of TDK leads perfectly to this. And it's definitely a reference to the best Batman story ever, The Dark Knight Returns.
4. Wasn't as complicated as the Joker's plans. Bane had the means and the time to pull off the explosions that isolated the city, and he had a bomb to use as a deterant for anyone attempting to enter the city.
5. It's shown and mentioned specifically in the movie that Bane was delivering supplies to the trapped police.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

redshirt posted:

1. He explains why - he's an orphan, filled with rage. All the other orphans made up stories about Bruce Wayne, billionaire orphan. Is it so far fetched that a guy put the pieces together and figured out who Batman is? I think not.
2. Agreed on my first viewing. It was frustrating. On my rewatches, however, I understand Bane perfectly, and have come to love his voice/the character choice.
3. Why not? The end of TDK leads perfectly to this. And it's definitely a reference to the best Batman story ever, The Dark Knight Returns.
4. Wasn't as complicated as the Joker's plans. Bane had the means and the time to pull off the explosions that isolated the city, and he had a bomb to use as a deterant for anyone attempting to enter the city.
5. It's shown and mentioned specifically in the movie that Bane was delivering supplies to the trapped police.

1. Meh, that just seems lazy.
2. I dunno. I can't imagine having to see a movie multiple times to get used to a badly dubbed voice.
3. I suppose, but then again, this is a "realistic" Batman.
4. There were just too many moving parts. It depended on Bane, the League of Shadows, the fusion reactor thing, stealing a bomb, social "justice", and on and on. I don't mind depth, but the film got in its own way.
5. Ah, I had forgotten that part. Odd that Bane would keep his only challengers alive.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Red posted:

1. Meh, that just seems lazy.
2. I dunno. I can't imagine having to see a movie multiple times to get used to a badly dubbed voice.
3. I suppose, but then again, this is a "realistic" Batman.
4. There were just too many moving parts. It depended on Bane, the League of Shadows, the fusion reactor thing, stealing a bomb, social "justice", and on and on. I don't mind depth, but the film got in its own way.
5. Ah, I had forgotten that part. Odd that Bane would keep his only challengers alive.

4. Social justice aka The Occupy Gotham movement was total BS and presented as such in the movie. Bane specifically says he's feeding Gotham hope ("social justice") in order to completely crush them. He was always going to explode the bomb - the bomb which, as shown in the movie, is delivered to him via Wayne Enterprises board member Miranda Tate.
5. He kept Batman alive too.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
Why did Batman get his back broken the first time he fights Bane, yet he tries the exact same tactics the second time and succeeds?

Also, his backed was healed by someone punching it really hard.

It was a poo poo movie.

redshirt posted:

4. Social justice aka The Occupy Gotham movement was total BS and presented as such in the movie. Bane specifically says he's feeding Gotham hope ("social justice") in order to completely crush them. He was always going to explode the bomb - the bomb which, as shown in the movie, is delivered to him via Wayne Enterprises board member Miranda Tate.
5. He kept Batman alive too.

The whole "hope" thing that Bane seems obsessed with is a lovely attempt to give meaning to meaningless scheme. Joker's "plans" seem more complicated but ultimately require less explanation because he's a psychopath who just likes to cause chaos. Bane can't be the same thing as the Joker, so they needed to give him some sort of reason for why he carried out his plans in such a convoluted manner. The best they could come up with was the word "hope" repeated over and over in an attempt to mask the fact that it means nothing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

l33t b4c0n posted:

Why did Batman get his back broken the first time he fights Bane, yet he tries the exact same tactics the second time and succeeds?
I'll agree with this. In the second fight, Batman is losing again, doing nothing really different from the first fight. Then he seems to get lucky with a back swing and severs part of Bane's mask, and it's only after that he get's the upper hand - even then, he's still getting his rear end kicked for another minute.

quote:

Also, his backed was healed by someone punching it really hard.
Yeah that was implausible. But

quote:

It was a poo poo movie.
I can't agree with that.

quote:

The whole "hope" thing that Bane seems obsessed with is a lovely attempt to give meaning to meaningless scheme. Joker's "plans" seem more complicated but ultimately require less explanation because he's a psychopath who just likes to cause chaos. Bane can't be the same thing as the Joker, so they needed to give him some sort of reason for why he carried out his plans in such a convoluted manner. The best they could come up with was the word "hope" repeated over and over in an attempt to mask the fact that it means nothing.
The Joker's plans were every bit as complicated if not more so than Bane's, and we have no explanation as to how the Joker pulled all that off, whereas we have specific details explaining not only how Bane pulled off his evil scheme, but why.

And the entire "hope" theme is a direct reference to Batman Begins.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Rises isn't terrible it just trips over itself trying to be symbolic.

Rises has Wayne bankrupt and secreted off to a faraway prison that symbolizes death and rebirth in a really heavy handed manner. Once he's conquered the pit he has to return to Gotham before the bomb sets off.

But how does he return halfway across the globe without any funds or connections since he's presumed dead and the only people he can consider as a support network are held captive in Gotham?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
He was showed going halfway across the world with no funds or connections or support network in the first movie and nobody seemed to have a problem with that. He even gave his nice coat away to Boris the Blade. This was all before he became the most highly trained ninja in the world and was trained by Liam Neeson to swordfight on thin ice.

I have to wear a respirator at work a lot of the time when I'm spraying pesticide and I always do the Bane voice when I'm wearing it because I'm a colossal nerd. "Well, mishter Anopheles, it appears that you are no match for my permethrin aeroshol. Once again superior technology triumphs. Evil, yesh, but a necesshary evil." That's my The Dark Knight Rises story.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Bruce Wayne Bravely Overcame Spinal Tragedy With One Wierd Trick

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

redshirt posted:

The Joker's plans were every bit as complicated if not more so than Bane's, and we have no explanation as to how the Joker pulled all that off, whereas we have specific details explaining not only how Bane pulled off his evil scheme, but why.

you do realize the joker is basically a trickster god in the dark knight. Batman only beat him by getting on his level by using the phone sonar bullshit to become basically omniscent.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
re: Robin figures out who Batman is:

It's not just that he recognizes orphan angst, it's that he has what it takes to be a Batman/sidekick. It's showing that he is a great detective, that he has strong intuition. He's the sort of guy that Ra's al Ghul wouldn't fool with his "I'm actually Liam Neeson" gimmick.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

tommy carcetti cia in the background there

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Guancho posted:

You hide your identity by making up a tough voice. Not an old lady with throat cancer and a lisp voice

shoulda got one of those robot throat boxes

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Frostwerks posted:

shoulda got one of those robot throat boxes

Jigsaw killer for Batman 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you dont get to bring friends

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
or something with autotune at least christ batman it is 2014

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

you dont get to bring friends

seriously is that the cia guy in the background

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Frostwerks posted:

seriously is that the cia guy in the background

It is, and I'm assuming that's a shop. Is it not?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Snak posted:

re: Robin figures out who Batman is:

It's not just that he recognizes orphan angst, it's that he has what it takes to be a Batman/sidekick. It's showing that he is a great detective, that he has strong intuition. He's the sort of guy that Ra's al Ghul wouldn't fool with his "I'm actually Liam Neeson" gimmick.

it's basically what happens with Tim Drake in the comics too; he figures out who Batman is, and becomes Robin based on that. He's also capable of being a better detective than Batman

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Frostwerks posted:

or something with autotune at least christ batman it is 2014

Imagine SWEAR TO ME or HOCKEY PADS with this, it's great.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
they just need to make a 5 hour long justice league movie so they can do nonstop movies in the style of justice league unlimited.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Network Pesci posted:

Imagine SWEAR TO ME or HOCKEY PADS with this, it's great.

WHERE'S THE TRIGGAH?

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

what if we got a black and white movie about 1930's murder batman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-uiGeYXoOw&t=172s

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

redshirt posted:

littlefinger is everywhere

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

redshirt posted:

it is, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BATMAN VOICE

• Locked thread