Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

ded posted:

i like civ 5
No don't!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Blazing Ownager posted:

I've hit very few Civ V fans that were also big Civ IV fans. Almost always Civ V fans last played like, Civ 2 or nothing at all.

I started the series at Civ IV, I think Civ IV: BTS has a much better lategame and Civ V has a better early game. I'm really disappointed by the way nuclear war is so lackluster in Civ V, I have a mod increasing the range of ICBMs but maybe I should also get a mod that lets you produce more nukes per uranium source. In Civ IV the fun really began when you had a proper Cold War with a huge stack of nuclear weapons in every country that mattered, Civ V you have all this awesome politicking and warmaking but the game never gets past August 6, 1945, you end up with Soviet India waging conventional warfare against the United States of Incans with a couple nuclear artillery shells thrown in.

I'm a huge dork, and I was at one of the first ever public demos of Civ V. People stood up and cheered when they heard Catherine's little introductory speech with the voice acting in real Russian. I kept playing Civ IV exclusively until Brave New World, after that I've been a Civ V man.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I'm a huge dork, and I was at one of the first ever public demos of Civ V. People stood up and cheered when they heard Catherine's little introductory speech with the voice acting in real Russian.

:lol:

fuck the ROW fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 3, 2014

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I started the series at Civ IV, I think Civ IV: BTS has a much better lategame and Civ V has a better early game. I'm really disappointed by the way nuclear war is so lackluster in Civ V, I have a mod increasing the range of ICBMs but maybe I should also get a mod that lets you produce more nukes per uranium source. In Civ IV the fun really began when you had a proper Cold War with a huge stack of nuclear weapons in every country that mattered, Civ V you have all this awesome politicking and warmaking but the game never gets past August 6, 1945, you end up with Soviet India waging conventional warfare against the United States of Incans with a couple nuclear artillery shells thrown in.

I'm a huge dork, and I was at one of the first ever public demos of Civ V. People stood up and cheered when they heard Catherine's little introductory speech with the voice acting in real Russian. I kept playing Civ IV exclusively until Brave New World, after that I've been a Civ V man.

retard

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
I like IV and V, but I think V has better balance at the end of the game. Whenever I played IV on multiplayer the first person to build a stack of planes was pretty much unstoppable.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Wait did culture ever get mechanics beyond 'buy buildings for more culture points' that mattered because I know religion was a huuuuuge waste of time but now people are talking about their personal painting galleries and poo poo and ???

Is this like a Sims patch that is also called Civilization V or something

the second expac introduced something called "tourism", which was really just a measure of cultural imperialism (like how hammers were a measure of production etc). Lots of tourism, and you'd get all sorts of bonuses against other civs because your culture was dominant. It meant culture victories weren't uber-isolationist, but actually required interaction. Also it meant you'd declare war to send Great Musicians on the most metal rock tour ever

it's a pretty neat idea

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Morkyz posted:

India has been in civ since the first game.

:iceburn:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fisticuffs posted:

I like IV and V, but I think V has better balance at the end of the game. Whenever I played IV on multiplayer the first person to build a stack of planes was pretty much unstoppable.

So did any of the patches for Civ V ever bring back multiplayer animation and find some way to limit a turn?

The last version I tried to play got to the modern era before I got into a war with another player. It went like this.

ME:
[On subs] CLICK ATTACK CLICK ATTACK CLICK ATTACK CLICK ATTACK
"I sank you navy!"

HIM:
[On helicopters] CLICK ATTACK CITY CLICK ATTACK CITY CLICK ATTACK CITY [From offboard due to their range, so you couldn't even tell where they came from)
"I conquered three cities."

Time elapsed: 20 seconds.

Within three turns everyone was leveled primarily because nobody could respond to ANYTHING defensively, it just kept coming from outside the fog and all you could see is units appear places and things dying. It was seriously the shittiest experience playing a Civ game, esp. given we played for hours at that point building to that point. Last time I played Civ V, in fact.

I am genuinely curious if they've resolved that in future versions because several people have called it a good MP war game. It had potential to be so I'm honestly curious.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Blazing Ownager posted:

So did any of the patches for Civ V ever bring back multiplayer animation and find some way to limit a turn?

The last version I tried to play got to the modern era before I got into a war with another player. It went like this.

ME:
[On subs] CLICK ATTACK CLICK ATTACK CLICK ATTACK CLICK ATTACK
"I sank you navy!"

HIM:
[On helicopters] CLICK ATTACK CITY CLICK ATTACK CITY CLICK ATTACK CITY [From offboard due to their range, so you couldn't even tell where they came from)
"I conquered three cities."

Time elapsed: 20 seconds.

Within three turns everyone was leveled primarily because nobody could respond to ANYTHING defensively, it just kept coming from outside the fog and all you could see is units appear places and things dying. It was seriously the shittiest experience playing a Civ game, esp. given we played for hours at that point building to that point. Last time I played Civ V, in fact.

I am genuinely curious if they've resolved that in future versions because several people have called it a good MP war game. It had potential to be so I'm honestly curious.

There's an option to turn multiplayer movement and attack animations on and off. Most likely your host turned them off because they make an already extremely long game even longer.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Justice posted:

There's an option to turn multiplayer movement and attack animations on and off. Most likely your host turned them off because they make an already extremely long game even longer.

Actually this must have been patched in. It was a common complaint on release and persisted at least a year afterward. I'm glad they fixed that though, it might actually be a fun straight-up war game in MP thanks to it's hex system.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I constantly shittalk Civ5 and even I have no idea why anyone would bother with combat animations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I loved Leonard Nimoy's narration in 4, but there were a couple of techs where they had some other guy with a whiny voice talking and it was the most grating thing ever.

I like road maintenance because civ4 maps always ended up ugly and silly with every tile a railway and there was no strategy beyond moving your stack of doom anywhere instantly.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

bitterandtwisted posted:

I loved Leonard Nimoy's narration in 4, but there were a couple of techs where they had some other guy with a whiny voice talking and it was the most grating thing ever.
that was with techs they added in expansions and I guess they couldn't be bothered or afford hire spock to do them again. 4 and 5 are both good, as is 1. 3 is poo poo. 2 is great and colonization 1994 was also great. alpha centauri was also p good, I hope beyond earth is good but I'm not holding my breath.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

still probably better than associating with mmo weirdos

As an MMO weird, he speaks the truth.

Anyone wanna hang out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Page Downfall
May 5, 2009

bitterandtwisted posted:

I like road maintenance because civ4 maps always ended up ugly and silly with every tile a railway and there was no strategy beyond moving your stack of doom anywhere instantly.

That whiny nerd is Sid Meier.

• Locked thread