Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
gas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Zazi posted:

This is more hilarious to me, because his direct appeal to climate change deniers to not buy Apple stocks would be insanely dangerous for him as a CEO if it weren't a completely transparent ploy to attract a particular market share - people who are willing to believe that a company that literally drives its manufacturing employees to suicide making fatuous garbage for the lowest possible cost is in any way ethically superior to any other major organisation because it 'goes green'.

CEOs can and will be sued if they make decisions that are not in the best financial interests of their companies. Telling certain people not to buy stocks is exactly that, unless it's part of an ulterior plan to solidify holdings with the company's core demographic: in this case, pretentious idiots.

I don't know about that. The really horrible stuff was done under Jobs who clearly only cared about making a solid profit and a product, to hell with everything else. However since Jobs death, Apple has tried to clean up its act.

You're right, he is trying to solidify holdings in the company's core demographic probably so he can get away with stuff like not properly beta testing IOS 8, but it's still good moves.

Heck even though the cops can still get into peoples iPhones and iPads, it still means that it's harder for other hackers to crack and the cops actually have to do it themselves as opposed to just phone Apple to do it.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
Ah man now the cops have to get a warrant for phone records instead. drat

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Shadoer posted:

I don't know about that. The really horrible stuff was done under Jobs who clearly only cared about making a solid profit and a product, to hell with everything else. However since Jobs death, Apple has tried to clean up its act.

You're right, he is trying to solidify holdings in the company's core demographic probably so he can get away with stuff like not properly beta testing IOS 8, but it's still good moves.

Heck even though the cops can still get into peoples iPhones and iPads, it still means that it's harder for other hackers to crack and the cops actually have to do it themselves as opposed to just phone Apple to do it.

lmao @ apple users twisting facts to make anything apple does Actually Good™

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The best part about the Apple respects privacy speech is how obviously it's a thinly veiled jab at Google

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
Law enforcement can also just compel the accused to unlock their own phone.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

The best part about the Apple respects privacy speech is how obviously it's a thinly veiled jab at Google

It's also funny that I haven't seen Google drive hacked yet iCloud has been. Kinda funny when u think about it

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

also because they are cool with breaking hat privacy when it comes to smokign out iphone leakers or whatever

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

I can't think of a single file or piece of information on any device I own that I would give a poo poo about someone else seeing

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

"We're a tech company not even remotely interested in your personal information." - a thing actual people will actually believe.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It is moral to kill somebody trying to steal your iPhone

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Robo Reagan posted:

hmm risk life and limb so some ungrateful white 20 something can post snide comments about the police on their plastic toy or go and stop real crimes

Yeah, heaven forbid they address theft and recover stolen property when they can "stop real crimes" like pulling over someone with a burnt out license plate light and breaking up high school parties. Real crimes.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

CubanMissile posted:

Yeah, heaven forbid they address theft and recover stolen property when they can "stop real crimes" like pulling over someone with a burnt out license plate light and breaking up high school parties. Real crimes.

yeah rich nerd lost an iphone someone call csi, well start shaking down local hoods yelling "WHERE THE IPHONE AT PUNK"

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Or just, you know, use the tracking features already installed on the phone.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

quote:

The 53-year-old has also committed millions of dollars of Apple’s money to various good causes – in contrast to his predecessor Jobs, who reportedly once told colleagues that giving money to charity was a waste of time.

Steve Jobs was a sociopath lol.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Sounds to me like Apple is more than willing to suck law enforcement's dick but this time around they literally couldn't if they wanted to, and they do.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Apple products still suck because they don't play real games.

No none of those IOS Puzzles and Dragons Candy Crush things count as games.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Mister Fister posted:

Steve Jobs was a sociopath lol.
messiah of our time

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
if theft was legal you could just steal other things when your things get stolen

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

The Taint Reaper posted:

You've been able to create a separate partition and run native Windows (or a number of other OSs) with full hardware support on Intel Apple computers since 2006 when Boot Camp was released. The games excuse doesn't work. Not being able to upgrade hardware on the iMac and limited hardware with Mac Pro models is a whole different thing, though.

The reason all the best games go to iOS first is because they have a less chance of their games being pirated based on statistics.

There's an old Microsoft conference pic that I can't find atm but you can see the interesting number of MS geeks armed with MacBook Pros running Windows. I guess some people get it for the polished end product that lasts, I dunno. Ask them.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Gimp Fack posted:

You've been able to create a separate partition and run native Windows (or a number of other OSs) with full hardware support on Intel Apple computers since 2006 when Boot Camp was released. The games excuse doesn't work. Not being able to upgrade hardware on the iMac and limited hardware with Mac Pro models is a whole different thing, though.

The reason all the best games go to iOS first is because they have a less chance of their games being pirated based on statistics.

There's an old Microsoft conference pic that I can't find atm but you can see the interesting number of MS geeks armed with MacBook Pros running Windows. I guess some people get it for the polished end product that lasts, I dunno. Ask them.
I'm not sure if being able to install a different OS is really a valid defense for the OS.

also for that last line someone just posted the 2 year failure rate and MacBooks surprisingly didn't do too hot. That was a marketing myth I believed too.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

The Taint Reaper posted:

Maybe get a DS or something.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

who the gently caress still uses SMS. its called iMessage you nerd idiot loser

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

XK posted:

I recommend an app where your stolen phone secretly calls 911 and gets the holder swatted.

This is a legitimately great/horrible idea.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Gimp Fack posted:

I just gave up in frustration trying to get the neo scavenger beta to work on my girlfriends macbook and thats a flash game with a mac port

macs are bada t game

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Hmm, Apple may be my next phone purchase now because I believe in freedom.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Baracula posted:

I just gave up in frustration trying to get the neo scavenger beta to work on my girlfriends macbook and thats a flash game with a mac port

macs are bada t game

It is because of the one button mouse.

Also no floppy drive, wtf is up with that?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Torka posted:

I can't think of a single file or piece of information on any device I own that I would give a poo poo about someone else seeing

you look like a wallet.dat kind of guy

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Green bubble? Delete.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I'm sure Google will follow suit shortly

The sad thing is a loving MegaCorp (THE Megacorp right now) had to tell the US loving government to stop doing dirty work behind citizen's backs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Apple: gently caress the Po-Lice

• Locked thread