Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

thats racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

spooky girlfriend posted:

I've got a solution that I need some Dutch people to carry to parliament:

Replace Zwarte Piet:

with Old Gregg:

Now you can still put on makeup and act like a buffoon, but you're no longer being racist.

And in fact you've become PROGRESSIVE becomes Old Gregg has a mangina, which will appeal to the trans community.

I like this solution a lot.

And he already comes with his own fun traditions like drinking Bailey's from a shoe and urinating on each other.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The funniest thing about Zwarte Piet is that he's a boogeyman figure who steals naughty children and drags them away to the nightmarish hellscape that is ... Spain.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
I'd like to hear Ted Danson's opinion on this subject.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Yivgev posted:

is zwarte piet anime?

no, he's not that bad. but if we had bombed europe harder, as Rent-A-Cop suggested, then we might have even more anime-calibre horrors in our world. makes u think

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
I was going to say that Krampus is the best weird european yule tradition and post a picure of Krampus, but my google search gave me this instead, so enjoy

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

spooky girlfriend posted:

I've got a solution that I need some Dutch people to carry to parliament:

Replace Zwarte Piet:

with Old Gregg:

Now you can still put on makeup and act like a buffoon, but you're no longer being racist.

And in fact you've become PROGRESSIVE becomes Old Gregg has a mangina, which will appeal to the trans community.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
how many countries have a christmas thing where people dress up in monster costumes and get drunk and then go around demanding alcohol from their neighbors

we need to do that, our traditions in the US blow poo poo

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Monkey Fracas posted:

how many countries have a christmas thing where people dress up in monster costumes and get drunk and then go around demanding alcohol from their neighbors

clearly you haven't met my uncle billy

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

As a 29 year old Dutch guy I was always told, as a kid, that he's black because of chimney soot. I knew plenty of "Dutch blacks" (read: people from Surinam and the Dutch Antilles) back then and now and it never registered to me at that age that zwarte piet is some weird blackface caricature from the late 1800s.

I think this is the biggest reason why a lot of Dutch people don't see Zwarte Piet as racist.

Also note that the Dutch hate muslim minorities, and especially Moroccans, way more than blacks.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Ekster posted:

As a 29 year old Dutch guy I was always told, as a kid, that he's black because of chimney soot. I knew plenty of "Dutch blacks" (read: people from Surinam and the Dutch Antilles) back then and now and it never registered to me at that age that zwarte piet is some weird blackface caricature from the late 1800s.
I think this is the biggest reason why a lot of Dutch people don't see Zwarte Piet as racist.
It just gets kinda weird that 9/10 adults still claim that they can't see the racist elements and suggest "Those niggers should go back to their own country" if anyone has a problem with it. Most people see full well how racist it is but they refuse to adapt for the sake of outsiders (who should GTFO).

quote:

Also note that the Dutch hate muslim minorities, and especially Moroccans, way more than blacks.
We actively hate Moroccans and merely look down on blacks.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
all you cloggies have already seen this and it won't make sense to anyone else but i'm going to poast it anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbRJ4IGQ-H0

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Is it not the opposite of racism for santa to have a black mate? The only problem I can see is he is presented as a caricature, but santa is a bit of a caricature like figure and really the whole of christmas has that overblown feel to it. I mean pete has got to be better than enslaved midgets and I don't hear anyone complaining about the elfs.

MrDutch
Jul 9, 2008

Yes they are shoes made of wood. Nothing weird about it, please stop taking my picture. I am NOT a tourist attraction!
im dutch, probably a racist i guess. ask me anything.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Ekster posted:

That's why being taken to Spain is such a horrible threat to a historically-minded Dutch person: Muslims ruled there for centuries in the Middle Ages.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

replace all offensive mascots with Krampus, problem solved:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLnl5ZWG4tg

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Lol the Dutch are loving barbaric

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Wow, I really like the dutch now. Who would have thought they would be so awesome gently caress the haterz

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

Ramsus posted:

Wow, I really like the dutch now. Who would have thought they would be so awesome gently caress the haterz

The Dutch don't do Krampus, they just do black face.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

rock rock posted:

Is it not the opposite of racism for santa to have a black mate? The only problem I can see is he is presented as a caricature, but santa is a bit of a caricature like figure and really the whole of christmas has that overblown feel to it. I mean pete has got to be better than enslaved midgets and I don't hear anyone complaining about the elfs.

the problem with blackface is that it's white people stealing jobs from black people

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
#blackfacelivesmatter

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Alan Smithee posted:

the problem with blackface is that it's white people stealing jobs from black people

It's pretty racist to presume that black people can't do black face

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Chrpno posted:

Well the CHRIMBUSS thread was a tradition too, are you supporting that, brother?

bring it back

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014

rock rock posted:

It's pretty racist to presume that black people can't do black face

Yeah, but they always go over the top with it.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

MrDutch posted:

why is your language basically retarded german?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

etalian posted:

Krampus is the best. He's also on the prowl today, so better watch out!

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

MrDutch posted:

you know grimace, the mcdonalds character? what is he anyway?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Someone in a previous zwarte piet thread called the dutch "swamp germans" and its still my favourite racist epithet to this day.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

Fuckin sweet; death metal christmas

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

Fuckin sweet; death metal christmas

A christmas mascot so fun, it was outlawed by Hitler.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Darkman Fanpage posted:

why is your language basically retarded german?

to me Dutch sounds like English but complete gibberish and when I hear I a Dutch person speak English they sound like they have some kind of speech impediment rather than a foreign accent

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mustang posted:

to me Dutch sounds like English but complete gibberish and when I hear I a Dutch person speak English they sound like they have some kind of speech impediment rather than a foreign accent

it's downs syndrome german

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Red Bones posted:

Someone in a previous zwarte piet thread called the dutch "swamp germans" and its still my favourite racist epithet to this day.

I like to think of them as "chill Germans" personally

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
who the gently caress makes shoes out of wood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBLBxb29maw