Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Seattle Seahawks

I seriously can't remember any real painful losses in the 70's or 80's because there were so few playoff games in that era and failure was the norm. The first Seahawks game i went to was 10/8/78 against the Vikings and Vikings won 28-29. I was a Vikings fan before the Seahawks were formed so I was conflicted in that one. Then the 90's were mostly just mediocrity.

Worst Loss Experienced at the Stadium

11/6/2010. NYG 41 - SEA 7

It was 35-0 at halftime. Only Seahawks game I have left before the game was over

Ugliest Game

10/23/2011 CLE 6 - SEA 3

Tavaris Jackson and Marshawn Lynch are out with injuries, so it's the Charlie Whitehurst Experience and the score reflects the ineptitude on offense.

Most Painful

1/13/2013 ATL 30 - SEA 28

Divisional playoff game. Seahawks were down 20-0 at halftime, end up taking the lead by one with 30 seconds to go and Matt Ryan marches the Falcons down the field and they kick the game winning FG as time expires.

Super Bowl XL

2/5/2006 PIT 21 - SEA 10

Bad play, bad calls, Jerramy Stevens, just a bad game all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid Dick
May 25, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

#3:
THE loving STEELERS

This is the worst for me since it's the one I remember most vividly. It was early in the game but the Bengals were in full control. I'm pretty certain the play here was the 60 yard bomb to Chris Henry (RIP) on which he got hurt trying to catch the pass too. That team was ridiculous offensively that year and probably would've coasted to a SB win instead of the Steelers. Chad Johnson was still a legit burner WR, Chris Henry was catching anything thrown at him, Housh was ridiculous in the slot and Rudi Johnson had a 1500 yard season.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Obviously others have touched on some of the Bills greatest hits but this game

I remember at the time just completely broke my mind.

The Bills were playing the Jets and were pounding them with Marshawn Lynch all day. They had a 3 point lead and it was the two minute warning. So the idea would be to run maybe pick up the first down or at worst bleed clock and punt. Instead of doing that Dick Jauron (one of the most boring human beings to ever live) was seized suddenly by mania and overruled his Offensive coordinator and ran some like naked bootleg with JP Losman. When the ball was snapped it was like loving bats flew out of the screen. The Jets blew that play to Kingdom come. They destroyed Losman and the ball pops out and the Jets are batting it around like a seal with a beach ball and run it in for a touchdown.

imagine watching this in real time

It was almost like a precursor to the buttfumble. I just remember having tunnel vision I was so angry and I think the reason I was so angry was because I think the play call struck me as historically bad. I would love to hire a lich to dig up Dick Jauron so I could have him explain what kind of demons were inside his mind at the time.

Edit: forgot to mention: It was Second and 5 with under two minutes!!! poo poo was even worse than I remembered

pasaluki fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 22, 2015

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
He got hurt making the longest reception in Marvin's playoff history, on the first offensive snap by the Bengals. And Larry Foote danced on the field when he saw the injuries. I would probably spit on that guy if I ever saw him, it remains the shittiest thing I've ever seen on a football field.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Seeing the Patriots mentioned so frequently in here makes me realize that if I supported an AFC team there's no way in hell I'd be cheering for the Pats in a week

Edit: As an Eagles fan, I'm pretty well covered in this thread already. The NFCCG losses are one massive high school-length blur of sadness and angst to me (Joe Jurevicius is still running, that fucker), and theoretically I should hate the Patriots forever for costing us our only legitimate chance at a Super Bowl in the foreseeable future, but I guess I'm just wired oddly because to me no Eagles loss — unexpected, playoff-related, whatever — is ever as bad as their most recent loss to either the Giants or Cowboys.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jan 24, 2015

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Throwing this video in as an honorable mention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I74BG0YFKUc

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
San Francisco:
Kyle Williams, the 31-6 loss to Tampa in the 2003 playoffs, all of 2004-2010, Seattle's Super Bowl win, Seattle's upcoming Super Bowl win

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Neodoomium posted:

The Lions cutting Joey Harrington loose and then immediately losing a Thanksgiving game to him and the Dolphins after the PA guy taunted him during warmups was a good one.

He won MVP of that game too.

loving gently caress Matt Millen forever.

:barf: I completely forgot about that one. If a loving and just God existed then Millen would have been fired after that game.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

pasaluki posted:

Obviously others have touched on some of the Bills greatest hits but this game

The only win the Jets had in the final weeks of the Favre season. Thanks for the false hope

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Ozu posted:

Jets

1998 AFC Conference Championship v Broncos - Blew a 10 point 2nd half lead to lose the Jets' best chance at a Super Bowl I've seen.
Fake Spike - Self-explanatory. Added pain due to it being the first Jets game I ever saw in person.
1999 Week 1 v Patriots - Promising year coming off the AFCCG loss, one of the preseason favorites for the Super Bowl. Testaverde tears his Achilles 1 quarter into the season.
2011 AFC Conference Championship v Steelers - Supreme high after knocking off the Pats in Foxboro the week before. Jets stage a massive comeback from down 24-0 and had a chance to win the game if only they had another minute of playtime. Franchise has been downhill ever since.
2005 AFC Divisional Playoff v Steelers - Doug Brien misses 2 FGs including OT that would have won the game. Likely would have been stomped by the Pats in the next round though.

Surprised that 2008 game against the 3-10 Seahawks with Favre wasn't on here. Might be one of the worst Jets efforts I've ever watched, and the loss basically killed their playoff hopes in a season where they got off to an excellent start. IIRC, they started 9-3 and were considered Super Bowl favorites late into the season.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=281221026

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 24, 2015

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

NY Giants:

1. 2003 Wild Card vs 49ers. Niners score 25 unanswered points to win 39-38, but the real heartbreaker was a really obvious non-pass interference call on the final play, which was a bad snap broken field goal attempt by the Giants to win with no time remaining. The NFL acknowledged that the no-call PI should have offset an ineligible receiver downfield and the Giants should have gotten one more try at the FG. gently caress those refs, gently caress TO for being good, gently caress Jim Fassel for being bad, and gently caress the whole team (but in particular Shaun Williams) for not being able to keep cool. They gifted the Niners several personal foul penalties because of their frustration and it added to the meltdown.

2. Super Bowl 35 vs Ravens

3. Miracle at the New Meadowlands

I'm not old enough to remember the first Miracle at the Meadowlands and I'm extremely thankful for it.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

C-Euro posted:

:barf: I completely forgot about that one. If a loving and just God existed then Millen would have been fired after that game.

Not only did he get like 5 more years to destroy an already ruined franchise, but he got fired and immediately came right back into the state to call Michigan and MSU football games on TV.

gently caress ESPN as well.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

Surprised that 2008 game against the 3-10 Seahawks with Favre wasn't on here. Might be one of the worst Jets efforts I've ever watched, and the loss basically killed their playoff hopes in a season where they got off to an excellent start. IIRC, they started 9-3 and were considered Super Bowl favorites late into the season.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=281221026

If we're going to keep bringing up that season, the end where we lost to Chad seemed very appropriate :sigh:

TzuWu
Feb 13, 2014
Chicago Bears

Pretty much this entire season and last season as well.

2013 losses that top the cake are 42-21 @ St.Louis and 54-11 @ Philadelphia...

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Ravens:

2011 Conference vs Patriots, 2006 Divisional vs Colts, 2008 Conference vs Steelers, 2007 Regular season vs Patriots, 2007 Regular season vs Dolphins

Honorable mention: 2003 Wildcard vs Titans, 2010 Divisional vs Steelers

07 sucked =(

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 25, 2015

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Goetta posted:

Throwing this video in as an honorable mention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I74BG0YFKUc

I guessed the game.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Rogue Elephant posted:

NY Giants:

1. 2003 Wild Card vs 49ers. Niners score 25 unanswered points to win 39-38, but the real heartbreaker was a really obvious non-pass interference call on the final play, which was a bad snap broken field goal attempt by the Giants to win with no time remaining. The NFL acknowledged that the no-call PI should have offset an ineligible receiver downfield and the Giants should have gotten one more try at the FG. gently caress those refs, gently caress TO for being good, gently caress Jim Fassel for being bad, and gently caress the whole team (but in particular Shaun Williams) for not being able to keep cool. They gifted the Niners several personal foul penalties because of their frustration and it added to the meltdown.

2. Super Bowl 35 vs Ravens

3. Miracle at the New Meadowlands

I'm not old enough to remember the first Miracle at the Meadowlands and I'm extremely thankful for it.

That '78 team was god awful and it was just one more bad loss in a season full of them where the Giants got their teeth kicked in. The only reason the game is memorable is -- yes -- the terrible fumble and the subsequent popularization of the "victory" formation, but it was also the nadir to 15 odd years of the Giants sucking. The next game was the season ticket parking lot bonfire and the "15 Years of Lousy Football — We've Had Enough." airplane banner flown over the stadium a few weeks later.

The game wasn't so important that the Eagles won, but how they won and it became the straw that broke the camels back situation.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

TzuWu posted:

Chicago Bears

Pretty much this entire season and last season as well.

2013 losses that top the cake are 42-21 @ St.Louis and 54-11 @ Philadelphia...

I feel like even those are better than the 55-14 curbstomping at the hands of the Packers.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Filthy Casual posted:

I feel like even those are better than the 55-14 curbstomping at the hands of the Packers.

I knew the Bears were going to get crushed in that one, so it honestly didn't bother me nearly as much as the games where they should've won and then blew it in spectacular fashion.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

dolphins of miami

The first one that came to mind was the shellacking by Jacksonville in Dan Marino's last game which is really just the dividing line between a phenomenally successful era for the Dolphins and a phenomenally terrible one. It was bad. The loss to the Patriots in the AFC Championship (1985? It was the year the Bears went to the Super Bowl and crushed the Patriots) was probably awful but I wasn't alive for it so I wouldn't know. The Dolphins never really got any closer than that ever again (well, 1992, but the Dolphins got wrecked in that game and the Pats loss was a pretty big upset, so w/e). The game the Dolphins blew against the Colts where the Dolphins had like a 3:1 time of possession advantage on them sucked especially because it added to the legend of Peyton Manning and loving ay do I get tired of that poo poo. There was also the loss to the Texans in 2003 which was kind of embarrassing I guess. Missing out on the playoffs after starting 9-5 was pretty awful but that wasn't one specific game. The Dolphins seem to be content failing in slow motion

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I knew the Bears were going to get crushed in that one, so it honestly didn't bother me nearly as much as the games where they should've won and then blew it in spectacular fashion.

That's fair, but when it comes to blowing something spectacularly, Week 17 vs. the Packers w/ Conte's blown coverage absolutely takes the cake.

loving three fourth down conversions on the last drive, goddammit.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I remember Marino's last game and never since then have I seen a legendary player in any sport look so...done. It was pretty sad to see and I was impartial on that game.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
Seattle Seahawks
A few posters have put in some suggestions. The top 3 are pretty unanimous and a few good options otherwise but trying to stick with "worst losses".

1. Super Bowl XL - vs Pittsburgh - Feb 05,2006
2. "We want the ball & we're going to score" - NFC WC, @ Green Bay, Jan 4, 2004
3. Mishap in the Meadowlands, - Dec 06,1998, @ NYJ, L 31-32
--------------------------------------
4. 2006 Divisional Round @ Chicago, L 27-24 OT. The end of Shaun Alexander - couldn't convert 3rd & 1 nor 4th & 1 in the late 4th quarter near CHI 40 yard line and then Hasselbeck sacked at the CHI 45 as time ran out in regulation.
5. 1988 AFC Wild Card Game @ Houston, L 23-20 OT. First Seahawks playoff game I can remember. Failure to Moon & the Oilers. Felt like a great accomplishment to make playoffs for once but fitting to come out as another 80s-90s failure.

Other notables by me or mentioned earlier:
* 2004 - losing 3 times to the Rams, 1 game noted being previously up by 17 in the 4th at home and losing in ot. The playoff game ended at the STL 5 with a loss of downs.
* 2012 Divisional Round vs ATL, yes Seahawks came back and then let ATL come back after that. It was draining but helped build the character for what was to come for the next seasons.
* 6-3 Loss to Cleveland was an ugly game. No emotional ties to it. Part of a 7-9 season in 2011.
* BO vs Boz game was another hyped game. Didn't mean much in the long term.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Tank44 posted:

Seattle Seahawks

4. 2006 Divisional Round @ Chicago, L 27-24 OT. The end of Shaun Alexander - couldn't convert 3rd & 1 nor 4th & 1 in the late 4th quarter near CHI 40 yard line and then Hasselbeck sacked at the CHI 45 as time ran out in regulation.

god damnit i thought i had finished flushing that memory out of my head but it just came flooding back

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy

Intruder posted:

1. Rosencopter game

Korranus posted:

- The Rosencopter Game

I totally forgot about this game until this thread but I remember laughing so hard at the time (sorry.) Up 27-17 with 3:54 left in the 4th...just slide man.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

FooF posted:

Indianapolis Colts

Recent History:

1. Every playoff loss to the Patriots (especially the 2003 AFCCG but all of them really)
2. 2009 SB loss to Saints (but it was a good game)
3. 2005 Divisional Game to the Steelers (the ghost of Vanderjagt still haunts)
4. 2007 Divisional Game where we lost to Billy "loving" Volek
5. Every regular season loss to the Patriots

In short: gently caress the Patriots forever :(

This except number 1 is the 1995 AFCCG against the Steelers

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

xeria posted:

Jaguars: All three losses to the Titans in the 1999-2000 season, but especially the loving AFC Championship game.

gently caress you, Jeff Fisher.
(projectile-vomits blood while chanting "hate" over and over in a long-dead tongue)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Surprise no Giants fans posted the Flipper Anderson playoff game. A bad PI call then Flipper catches one and runs out of the end zone and into the tunnel under the Meadowlands. Gut punch right there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3g1a4xo1DY

Also: Matt Dodge. Serves us right for wasting a draft pick on a punter.

• Locked thread