Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Thanks for this. My PS2 broke years ago when I was about halfway through so it was nice to see the ending finally.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like to think the sequence at the end with Ashley's family-or-not is just saying that, well, it doesn't matter. Ashley remembers loving someone who is now dead. Regardless of whether that's a real memory or not, the fact that it doesn't feel fake means he still thinks he's capable of loving somebody.

As opposed to, say, stabbing them and flinging them off a building to ascend to godhood, not naming any names.

Anyway, looking forward to more rood pathways through the city. I like when the developers put something in for NG+ other than just carrying over your stuff.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Whoops, that was probably me that gave you the bad information about Snowfly Forest; guess I remembered wrong. I hate that place.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

No, the one who gave the bad info was Rosencrantz. :colbert:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Still may be processing.

Kampfy Von Wafflehaus posted:

Thanks for this. My PS2 broke years ago when I was about halfway through so it was nice to see the ending finally.

Glad to be of service. I can relate. I wanted to boot up my last console save to see how quickly I'd beaten the game in one sitting, only to find the PS3 didn't like the disc anymore. It seems just be just that one game. FFV boots up fine (aside from the crashing that is systemic to the console and game apparently)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

That minotaur might have been a chump, but he had some sweet tribal tats.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Almost done with the second playthrough, so let's get two steps closer.

The second one is just the Cathedral to mop up map%, plus remembering that explaining grimoire names was once a thing.

huh, and since the main reason was to deal with the map, all my preview options are the post-boss stat reels.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

One of my favorite things is what YouTube decides to suggest for tags when I upload.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This is actually quite the sizable post game.
Are you going to get the Holy Win/Excalibur?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

This is actually quite the sizable post game.
Are you going to get the Holy Win/Excalibur?

Yes.

Also yes to the other 3 or 4 followup questions.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Yes.

Also yes to the other 3 or 4 followup questions.

Wait, are you going to use a turbo controller? Because that's what I resorted to.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

George posted:

Wait, are you going to use a turbo controller? Because that's what I resorted to.

I didn't anticipate that question... I think. If its what I think, the answer is no, I'm not 5000 things.

Even though I played this game for 10+ NG+ strings 2 or 3 times since the game came out, never got that title.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I just mean forging a perfect weapon.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

George posted:

I just mean forging a perfect weapon.

I'll probably forge the best forgable weapons, but just in Hagane (or silver if I manage to make another silver stiletto). I already got the Wakizashi, Halberd and Destroyer.

I'll show off the easy button method of making an ultimate Damascus weapon.

With this the is over as far as showing all locations and getting all the treasure chests. One more video to show getting everything*. Then I don't know. At the bare minimum showing the no-save/sub 10 hour (~3-4 hour) Title run.

*everything being the best tier of a given thing. Not farming for accessories inferior to but just as rare as good ones.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

That dark Iron Maiden maze makes me realize that Matsuno must REALLY like the idea of super-dark post-game dungeons. The Iron Maiden is almost pitch-black; the whole gimmick of FFT's Deep Dungeon was being totally dark; the Pharos Subterra from FFXII was completely dark... I don't remember Hell's Gate from Tactics Ogre being totally dark, but it probably was just a limitation of the hardware.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

That dark Iron Maiden maze makes me realize that Matsuno must REALLY like the idea of super-dark post-game dungeons. The Iron Maiden is almost pitch-black; the whole gimmick of FFT's Deep Dungeon was being totally dark; the Pharos Subterra from FFXII was completely dark... I don't remember Hell's Gate from Tactics Ogre being totally dark, but it probably was just a limitation of the hardware.

The Grand Crystal was pretty dark once you wandered into post game territory too.

And with that the second run is finished. Thanks for sticking through it

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I don't remember if I brought it up before, but this episode highlights a problem with the battle system. The whole game you're learning how to chain attacks. Being able to attack relentlessly without giving your enemies the chance to respond is what separates Ashley from common mortals. It's his Thing that he Does. It's what separates the games battle system from a turn-based one where you just take turns with the enemy smacking each other. You need timing and reflexes and to familiarize yourself with each weapon type. Human skill is required.

And then you get towards the end of the game and it just says "NOPE." Everything has huge chain evade. You're just uselessly building up Risk if you try chaining anything, because 90% of the time they'll dodge it. So suddenly, at the end of the game, rather than testing the skills you built up and emphasizing what's unique about this battle system, it falls apart and just boils down to taking turns smacking each other. Open menu, attack once. Open menu, attack once. Repeat. It's really disappointing.

Anyway, you haven't made the ultimate sword until you've maxed out all the afinities on your Damascus Holy Win. It's been years since I was dumb enough to do it, but I recall that every time an affinity goes up (Evil, or Wind, or whatever) the two affinities lower on the list (wrapping to the top) have a chance to go down. So I seem to recall maxing out every third affinity on a copy of the weapon. Then, when you combine weapons, it takes the highest affinity score between the two weapons for each affinity rating. So you basically need three copies of the Holy Win, each with its own set of maxed affinities. Then when you combine them all, you end up with a single weapon with all affinities maxed. Since every one is maxed, they can never go up, and since none ever go up, none ever go down either. The weapon is locked in with maxed stats in everything. It takes so, so long beating on the various training dummies to max that poo poo out (although that seems to be what the dummies are designed for- there's different dummies for all the enemy types, and I recall each one also being tied to a particular element so you can train all of those up too).

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Haven't forgotten about this, just distracted.

Just to tease the next clipshow.

Here's the itinerary.

Sub-10 hour/no break arts/no chain run (should have been no magic too, but the game eating that one Radial Surge Grimoire and not farming for another Explosion killed that idea). Probably will master all break arts too or at least come close.
No save and/or no magic.
No gimmicks just to farm the missing single target spells and Dread Armor probably.
One more fast run (maybe a stream) seeing just what will happen with 6 runs worth of stats and all that fun stuff.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's interesting, seeing these early experiments in achievements, two generations before there were consoles that could support them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

And with this its done. Thanks for sticking with this for... too long.

One Fiesta started and ended on this. I'm just letting this one last long enough to see the start of second.

On that note, play for charity or for glory :black101:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776693&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

• Locked thread