Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Since July of 1947, when the US government covered up the wreckage of a classified surveillance balloon at Roswell, New Mexico with a flying saucer conspiracy, the idea of unidentified flying objects of extraterrestrial origin has captured the public imagination.

For decades, sightings and eyewitness testimony of UFOs was written off (largely correctly) as the work of overactive imaginations.

This was all fine and good until OUT OF loving NOWHERE, the lying, low energy NYT published this in December 2017.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/942080653427953665

Since then, we've seen unprecedented admissions from the US Department of Defense that yes, UAP (Unidentified Aerial Phenomena aka UFOs for nerds) are real and they have no loving idea what they are.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1133009988916531200

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1261184548894900225

Culminating with the 60 Minutes episode released this evening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBtMbBPzqHY

So, what the hell is going on here? Are we being visited by strangers from outer space? Are there earthly lifeforms we are totally unaware of? Have foreign entities developed radical new technologies? If so, how are these objects seemingly defying the known laws of physics?

it's almost certainly russian or chinese spytech but look don't spoil the party

but yeah, this keeps coming up and i want to talk about what sort of op the government is running here

https://twitter.com/EricDKoch/status/1394133556255993856

thanks, god bless, and post about aliens itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Dredd Scott
Feb 21, 2020

tom delonge has let me down

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

WHY BE A FATCAT WHEN YOU CAN BE A SMOKERAT?

COOL ZONE HERO, ASK ME ABOUT MY LIVESTREAMS

I, for one, will not go quietly into the night

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I, for one, will not go quietly into the night

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

im from the pleiades

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

kind of wonder if a saucer would even be that good of a space borne-to-atmospheric craft shape

Flunky
Jan 1, 2014

shits creepy

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

hey kid how's the cake

Tiler Kiwi posted:

kind of wonder if a saucer would even be that good of a space borne-to-atmospheric craft shape

i mean if you're capable of effective interstellar travel i can't imagine you are still too concerned with bitch-rear end poo poo like aerodynamics

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

1stGear posted:

i mean if you're capable of effective interstellar travel i can't imagine you are still too concerned with bitch-rear end poo poo like aerodynamics

well if they can pick any shape at all and they went with that, i have to conclude that the alien's genitalia are saucer shapes

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

i saw a light phenomena when i was a kid, a known one so it may have been some fuckery by the locals to draw tourists but its at one of the biggest tourism places in the country so why would they

also my dad saw some poo poo when he was younger and he'd have no reason to lie, his life has had plenty of fun stories without it

i believe and i hope theyre into xeno-anthropology rather than xeno-archeology

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

aliens arent real

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

money for military jerkoffs to hmmmmmm over pictures but zero bux to help people

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Flunky posted:

shits creepy

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Zeroisanumber posted:

money for military jerkoffs to hmmmmmm over pictures but zero bux to help people

ufos are cool

Flunky
Jan 1, 2014

browsing the internet as a kid in the 90s, stumbling onto some guy's ufo website with 9000 images in a single html file, getting really scared that the government will cut my connection for looking at these TOP SECRET documents

blatman
May 9, 2009

14 inc dont mez

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

aliens arent real

probably ya but have u considered that it would be a good plot twist for late 2021

like aliens end up being real but they invented faster-than-light travel specifically to harass pre-ftl species by swooping around the atmosphere in their grainy spaceships and making crop circles by beaming little green men down to slowly flatten wheat using wooden planks before ramming into a few gps satellites in their lovely space jalopy

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

there's some guy on youtube whose videos occasionally get posted in the forums and he's tried to show how all of the recent video releases that are mentioned in the OP are visual artifacts arising from known limitations and errors in modern military and avionic systems

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Represent!

https://twitter.com/JeremyCorbell/status/1393281339525255168

rad poo poo

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Represent!

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/ufo-military-intelligence-60-minutes-2021-05-16/

quote:

We have tackled many strange stories on 60 Minutes, but perhaps none like this. It's the story of the U.S. government's grudging acknowledgment of unidentified aerial phenomena— UAP—more commonly known as UFOs. After decades of public denial the Pentagon now admits there's something out there, and the U.S. Senate wants to know what it is. The intelligence committee has ordered the director of national intelligence and the secretary of defense to deliver a report on the mysterious sightings by next month.
also rad poo poo, c'mon u spooks, tell me about UFOs

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Filthy Hans posted:

there's some guy on youtube whose videos occasionally get posted in the forums and he's tried to show how all of the recent video releases that are mentioned in the OP are visual artifacts arising from known limitations and errors in modern military and avionic systems

If you watch the video a couple of pilots specifically say they made visual contact as well.

It's interesting that it seems like the contacts only started happening after sensor upgrades, whether or not it just means the tech is seeing ghosts.

Please note that I have always thought of alien encounters as a combination of night terrors and the logical progression of 19th century people that thought they were seeing fairies.

Also lmao if Marco Rubio is the one that finds the aliens

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

blatman posted:

probably ya but have u considered that it would be a good plot twist for late 2021

like aliens end up being real but they invented faster-than-light travel specifically to harass pre-ftl species by swooping around the atmosphere in their grainy spaceships and making crop circles by beaming little green men down to slowly flatten wheat using wooden planks before ramming into a few gps satellites in their lovely space jalopy

douglas adams posted:

"Teasers are usually rich kids with nothing to do. They cruise around looking for planets that haven’t made interstellar contact yet and buzz them.” “Buzz them?” Arthur began to feel that Ford was enjoying making life difficult for him. “Yeah,” said Ford, “they buzz them. They find some isolated spot with very few people around, then land right by some poor unsuspecting soul whom no one’s ever going to believe and then strut up and down in front of him wearing silly antennas on their head and making beep beep noises.”

Zisky
May 6, 2003

IF (that's a big if) the government knows more about this than they're letting on, the current media strategy sure does seem like the ideal way to slow roll an announcement.

But then again if there are aliens and pmurt knew there's no chance in hell it would have stayed secret.

In summation, aliens don't exist until they do, and humans should stop clenching their assholes about it because it makes the probing way more unpleasant for everyone involved.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Represent!

blatman posted:

Naw, they're sick voyeurs turning our planet into a reality TV show
https://reddit.com/r/truehistoryofearth
b-roll should be good

Espionage drones/balloons/etc make for a simpler and likelier explanation, especially considering that would be a perfect place to observe US forces & hardware doing maneuvers. Any explanation that isn't a straight up fabrication is super interesting, imho.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Put the aliens in charge of all sucking and loving

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zisky posted:

IF (that's a big if) the government knows more about this than they're letting on, the current media strategy sure does seem like the ideal way to slow roll an announcement.

But then again if there are aliens and pmurt knew there's no chance in hell it would have stayed secret.

In summation, aliens don't exist until they do, and humans should stop clenching their assholes about it because it makes the probing way more unpleasant for everyone involved.

this is kinda my thought, too

There's no reason to roll out media and do 60 minutes spots for the olds if it's just for funding
they already have all the money and support for more funding that they could ever need

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

aliens gave their technology to the chinese and the chinese are now owning us with transmaterial drones. this dump is the government breaking the news to us that they got so owned

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

jarofpiss posted:

aliens gave their technology to the chinese and the chinese are now owning us with transmaterial drones. this dump is the government breaking the news to us that they got so owned

loving trisolarans did us dirty

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Space Force propaganda to gin up funding

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Tiler Kiwi posted:

During the NASA/USAF lifting body programs of the 60-70s, a disc shaped craft was indeed proposed, but never was built. It strikes me as possibly viable.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I always get the last word

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

loving trisolarans did us dirty

Never trust a species with more than one sun

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

StratGoatCom posted:

During the NASA/USAF lifting body programs of the 60-70s, a disc shaped craft was indeed proposed, but never was built. It strikes me as possibly viable.

the whole omni-directional thrust thing seems to have been applied pretty well for drones.
Just add a disc shape skirt to them and you've got flying saucers

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

my friend took a pretty sweet ufo video last year, just a little flashing thing traveling super slow middle of the day

some goon said he saw one in central park? on a field trip with like 30 other people which is pretty funny

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!

Fallen Rib

theyre gonna announce aliens are real and only top level diplomats will get to talk to them while the rest of us go back to work at applebees

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bio70ZWHj94

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Zisky posted:

If you watch the video a couple of pilots specifically say they made visual contact as well.

yeah - i was into the instrumentation artifacts theory too, but then on that 60 minutes thing last night they showed these two photographs that some pilots took which afaik haven't been shown before?

drat china u got some weird lookin drones

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Somehow aliens being real will make things worse for people who aren't disgustingly wealthy

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!

Fallen Rib

we can only hope the aliens are smart enough to broadcast to our brains directly rather than speak with our leaders and top innovators

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Marx Headroom posted:

theyre gonna announce aliens are real and only top level diplomats will get to talk to them while the rest of us go back to work at applebees

we got the childhood's end timeline

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

jarofpiss posted:

i don't think the Chinese/Russians need alien technology to build drones that can mess with American sensors. Both countries are years if not a decade ahead of the US in terms of electronic warfare.

The whole thing just stinks of the US government being embarrassed that they can't effectively control their own airspace and coming up with aliens as an excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Posadists get itt