Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Butthead posted:

I find it strange that he is not in jail.

Only one of the allegations falls within the statute of limitations and that claim didn't surface until December.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/12/bill_cosby_chloe_goins_playboy_statute_of_limitations.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

eternalname posted:

I personally believe that he was a genuine serial rapist.

It's more how this all happened that seems 'off' to me. Why was this known but not cared about for so long? And now it just comes out of nowhere. And Cosby was one of the most powerful black men in the US. I've been toying with the idea that someone was sitting on this information and decided they needed to silence him for whatever reason. Seems like very many prominent black leaders in this country end up with tarnished reputations, or dead.

ur racist op

hth

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Butthead posted:

I find it strange that he is not in jail.

Not really once you look at the cases out in the public.

Assuming the stories published are 100% true, the situations given make it especially hard to prove rape occurred.

Most of the stories floating in the press involve women who were on a romantic date with Cosby, and probably would have slept with him willingly without any date rape drug. In fact, at least one woman claimed that she continued to date Cosby after he raped her. Other stories involve situations like a "party at the Playboy mansion" which most people could imagine casual sex occurring. Or Cosby would do something like outright give them the date rape pill and ask his victim to take it, and they would.

Now, I'm not saying this that these women "asked for it" or it means they are lying. I'm saying that it makes it a difficult case for the prosecutor to pull off.

A prosecutor trying to get a rape conviction, generally needs the following:

- Proof the accused had sex with the victim.
- Proof that it was forced and against the victims will.

The problem is proving that it's forced. They were drugged so no defensive wounds, technology even now isn't that great for picking up date rape drugs, and trying to play the character card won't work because they were in situations where consensual sex was likely. Any of these cases, individually brought forward, would have been thrown out. It's only because of the sheer number of them that any prosecutor could have a chance at getting a conviction as there's a theoretical pattern.

Even then, Cosby already has the narrative built in that he's an rear end in a top hat in relationships. Apparently everyone in comedy knew Cosby was a player and a heartbreaker, so the idea that women would want to take "revenge" against him was already well seeded. It was also known that Cosby had no problem picking up women, so the question of why the hell would he bother to rape these women would also be hanging over any case brought against him.

And it's a pretty good defense honestly. It's hard to explain why someone like Cosby who has tons of success and power would bother date raping women who were already romantically involved with him and would likely have slept with him anyways. That's a pretty high level of "totally hosed up" right there.

IF Cosby is guilty, he had to have given this a good about of thought and likely used his psychological knowledge to keep himself away from any accusations. Each situation, in some way designed to maximize guilt on the part of the victim to prevent himself from getting any fall back and ensure that a prosecutor would have squat to work with.

Hungry Joe
Nov 27, 2006

DDFH
That was a lot of words, I read most of them

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

A Stupid Baby posted:

Wait are you saying that rape is extremely under-reported, mishandled by police forces everywhere and that if you're enough of a celebrity you can commit a laundry list of The Worst Crimes and nobody will care

Oh wait a conspiracy thats a much more likely scenario

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Danger Mahoney posted:

Not a comedian, but Brian Singer is a notorious statutory rapist and for-real rapist. But he's a white guy with a lot of money Jew so whatcha gonna do.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Rape isnt a crime if you're rich, it has never been throughout history

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

first you get the money, then you get the power, then you take the women

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Zzulu posted:

Rape isnt a crime if you're rich, it has never been throughout history

this is true.

i guess this is why cosby got so rich?

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

Shadoer posted:

Assuming the stories published are 100% true, the situations given make it especially hard to prove rape occurred.

Most of the stories floating in the press involve women who were on a romantic date with Cosby, and probably would have slept with him willingly without any date rape drug. In fact, at least one woman claimed that she continued to date Cosby after he raped her. Other stories involve situations like a "party at the Playboy mansion" which most people could imagine casual sex occurring. Or Cosby would do something like outright give them the date rape pill and ask his victim to take it, and they would.

Now, I'm not saying this that these women "asked for it" or it means they are lying. I'm saying that it makes it a difficult case for the prosecutor to pull off.

The problem is proving that it's forced. They were drugged so no defensive wounds, technology even now isn't that great for picking up date rape drugs, and trying to play the character card won't work because they were in situations where consensual sex was likely. Any of these cases, individually brought forward, would have been thrown out. It's only because of the sheer number of them that any prosecutor could have a chance at getting a conviction as there's a theoretical pattern.

Even then, Cosby already has the narrative built in that he's an rear end in a top hat in relationships. Apparently everyone in comedy knew Cosby was a player and a heartbreaker, so the idea that women would want to take "revenge" against him was already well seeded. It was also known that Cosby had no problem picking up women, so the question of why the hell would he bother to rape these women would also be hanging over any case brought against him.

And it's a pretty good defense honestly. It's hard to explain why someone like Cosby who has tons of success and power would bother date raping women who were already romantically involved with him and would likely have slept with him anyways. That's a pretty high level of "totally hosed up" right there.

IF Cosby is guilty, he had to have given this a good about of thought and likely used his psychological knowledge to keep himself away from any accusations. Each situation, in some way designed to maximize guilt on the part of the victim to prevent himself from getting any fall back and ensure that a prosecutor would have squat to work with.

nice wall of text about rape

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Shadoer posted:

look at these words of a rapist

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Shadoer posted:

hey they would have slept with him anyway, whats wrong with a little male enhancement

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dieting Hippo posted:

hey they would have slept with him anyway, whats wrong with a little male enhancement

he probably gets off on the "drugged and unconscious" part

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

david... posted:

look at these words of a rapist

Dieting Hippo posted:

I love how explaining why it's a difficult case to prove in a court of law means I'm a rapist and a misogynist. I guess explaining how things worked in Nazi Germany means I'm a nazi too :)

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

Shadoer posted:

I love how explaining why it's a difficult case to prove in a court of law means I'm a rapist and a misogynist. I guess explaining how things worked in Nazi Germany means I'm a nazi too :)

Naw that's what your avatar means

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

spooky girlfriend posted:

Naw that's what your avatar means

:iceburn:

Somehow forgot that's my avatar.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Shadoer posted:

It's also kind of annoying to see people outraged about him being around children. Whether he's a date rapist or not does not mean he's a pedophile.

That said, after as many allegations and other character traits that have come out, this entire story has really hosed with me. A few years ago I re-watched the entirety of the Cosby Show on Netflix over the course of several months/year with my ex girlfriend since she was from Switzerland and had missed the absolute genius of the show.

I'm leaning towards the allegations being true since they've come up in years past and most of the women corroborating have literally nothing to gain other than providing character witness testimony to see him punished.

Sucks... but to this question:

Uncle Wemus posted:

how could a guy who was all about clean comedy, family stuff and against swearing also be a rapist

Dude... Catholic Priests are all about clean language, family stuff, and so on and several of them raped children. Plenty of anti-gay ministers were outed as homosexuals. One doesn't really have to do with the other. Either it's extreme compartmentalization, or it's an extreme cover-up on urges/desires that only works 90% of the time.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
rape experts itt writing their rape theses about rapes

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lol if you have enough rape down time to spend writing a thesis

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
the venerable rape sages of gbs

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

shut up netface posted:

If there is a conspiracy, wouldn't "they" bring him down at the peak of his popularity? The only reason that it was brought to massive media attention was because Hannibal Burress referenced the handful of accusations that were largely ignored because, he at the time was still "America's dad". The public could not convince themselves that the kindly goofy black man who plays a doctor on TV (not to mention one of the only black doctors on TV at the time) was raping drugged women in his dressing room, and had been doing so for years. It was like with the Kevin Clash thing. We refused to believe such an innocent figure could commit horrible things.

Whatever happened with the Kevin Clash thing anyway? Seemed like all the accusations against him vaporized once he decided to step down from doing childrens programming.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

Whatever happened with the Kevin Clash thing anyway? Seemed like all the accusations against him vaporized once he decided to step down from doing childrens programming.

Out of court settlements for all the families of the children he raped with the understanding that they clam up to the media. Kind of standard procedure.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

now don't tell anyone about this, and I'll give you this shiny quarter and all the pudding pops you can eat!

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shadoer posted:

History teachers are murderers and rapists! :colbert:

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
AmandaZZZ: zzzzzz

DrCozB: you sound sleepy lol

DrCozB: ur so funy <3 do u sleep a lot?????

DrCozB: mmm. daddy like. u like daddy?

DrCozB: cummin ovr. where u at

DrCozB: hope u like wine coolrz lol

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Out of court settlements for all the families of the children he raped with the understanding that they clam up to the media. Kind of standard procedure.

This is probably true but it still seems kind of hosed up that you could buy the parents' silence. Like how lovely of a parent do you have to be to accept "oops I raped your kid" money.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

raditts posted:

This is probably true but it still seems kind of hosed up that you could buy the parents' silence. Like how lovely of a parent do you have to be to accept "oops I raped your kid" money.

hahahahahahahaha

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me

raditts posted:

Better than the alternative of ramming your kid through the court system and the eye of the media for however many years. As long as the settlement pays for the years of therapy that's what is important.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

eternalname posted:

As long as the settlement pays for the years of therapy that's what is important.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i wish bill cosby was dead

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

can we burn woody allen's reputation down next. like he's literally worse than aatrek

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
and Charlie Chaplin

that pederast (edit: that's also the correct term for going after young girls post puberty or is that only teenage boy lovin, plz confirm/deny)

Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 2, 2015

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Shadoer posted:

i also love how it means youre a rapist.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Shadoer posted:

THIS SUM BULLSHIT IM SORRY 2PAC WAS NOT AGREEING WIHT ILULLIMNATI HE WAS AGAISNT IT HE SAID WHEN HE GOT LOCKED UP HE Fˆ®ST HEARD ABOUT IT AND AND HOW DID THEY KNOW SO THE LAST ALBUM HE PUT A K ON IT KILLILLIMNAIT AND KILTS THAT poo poo YALL VERY DISRESPECTFUL I LIKE THIS VIDEO UP UNTIL THIS POINT
:eyepop:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Shadow posted:

and Charlie Chaplin

that pederast (edit: that's also the correct term for going after young girls post puberty or is that only teenage boy lovin, plz confirm/deny)

That's just tight nubile teenage boy butt lovin

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Blue Train posted:

That's just tight nubile teenage boy butt lovin

oh

well he WAS kinda creepy. as he got older, his girls got younger

same with hitler i think

chaplin played hitler in the dictator

OHSHIT

Reer
Sep 27, 2007

by Ralp
people thought bill cosby was a house friend of the family but it turns out he is just a regular friend of the family

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

a shameful post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
smdh...

• Locked thread