Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Sadi posted:

I also have to agree with LS7. Driving one with straight pipes is animalistic.

The maintenance schedule is so demanding, though: oil whenever it's due, air filter at 25k, spark plugs at 100k, coolant at 150k. Who can keep up!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Giblet Plus! posted:

Toyota 22RE. The thing is a tank. Unbreakable. Possibly the best Toyota engine ever.

mafoose posted:

LOL. Gutless piece of junk that eats timing chains and head gaskets.

What were you doing to the poor thing? Mine had 250k on it with zero problems, zero maintenance, and a teenage driver.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Only because it and its accessories makes me so much money.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Lanz Bulldog:

I tried to get some footage of one of these last year at the local show but my phone kept crashing whenever I tried :( Awesome to see in action. They shake the ground from ages away.

Matt18001
Feb 28, 2015
If we are counting aircraft engines, the Soloy Dual Pac is one of my favorites. It is 2 PT6 engines connected to a single gear box and a single propeller. Best part is, since PT6s are free turbines, you can run with either side failed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Lancia V4.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Giblet Plus! posted:

Toyota 22RE. The thing is a tank. Unbreakable. Possibly the best Toyota engine ever.

mafoose posted:

LOL. Gutless piece of junk that eats timing chains and head gaskets.

Such a polarizing engine. Either 'tank' or 'junk.'

No in-between. It is pretty, and every one i've driven with it has been pretty top-notch in-spite of its 'moon mileage,' as Slavvy would describe it.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
LS1 or supercharged GM 3800

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
DZ302 from the original Camaro Z/28. :getin:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
4 pages and no 1UZ-FE? For shame!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Limited (and expensive) aftermarket, small displacement, only found in a couple cars? I guess it revs alright, but for the price it would cost to build a reasonably powerful one, you can build a SBC to rev just as high.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah blame me for that, I think I'm the only active poster who currently owns one (I think kevbarlas is still driving the LS400 he bought as a donor for the van but he's not around much outside his thread). And I haven't had enough time with it to say much about it.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

I'll go with this, but the series III. Specifically the ones in Pontiacs. I've love the supercharged 3800 since my brother bought a new GTP. I bought my own '04 GTP drat near 10 years ago.

It may be a crude old pushrod beast but its legendary for its affinity for boost and its Jeep 4 liter level of unkillableness. Even if you don't like the (mostly) GM W-body that come wrapped around it you cannot deny its unmistakeable sound, its lovely, torquey superchargedness and the fact that if you have one its incredibly cheap to make it beastly.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

LeeMajors posted:

Such a polarizing engine. Either 'tank' or 'junk.'

So, it's just like an M4 Sherman. They made a million of them, too.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Raluek posted:

Limited (and expensive) aftermarket, small displacement, only found in a couple cars? I guess it revs alright, but for the price it would cost to build a reasonably powerful one, you can build a SBC to rev just as high.

the thing with the 1UZ is you DONT need to build it to make it a reasonably powerful engine- you literally stick a stand alone ECU on it and throw boost at it- Factory 6 bolt mains and a seriously overbuilt bottom end with the quad valve top and they will handle boost without flinching up to 10-14 psi, after that you need to look at rods and pistons but its literally take stock engine, stick haltec on it, throw boost, achieve 400+ HP with minimal effort.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Audi 2.3l 3B Turbo 20v

To be fair, I also love the 1.9l ALH Turbodiesel

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

too bad about that starter motor, though. If I had one and it poo poo the bed I think I'd spend my ten hours swapping to a manual and just park on hills forever instead of replacing the starter.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ferremit posted:

the thing with the 1UZ is you DONT need to build it to make it a reasonably powerful engine- you literally stick a stand alone ECU on it and throw boost at it- Factory 6 bolt mains and a seriously overbuilt bottom end with the quad valve top and they will handle boost without flinching up to 10-14 psi, after that you need to look at rods and pistons but its literally take stock engine, stick haltec on it, throw boost, achieve 400+ HP with minimal effort.

Well, but LS motors also are 6-bolt mains. And are way cheaper. And will break 400HP with a cam, headers, and a tune. Can even use the stock ECU. The only thing your silly furren motor has is more valves, but the better heads for the LS motors (e.g. LS3 heads) flow pretty drat good for what they are.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Raluek posted:

Well, but LS motors also are 6-bolt mains. And are way cheaper. And will break 400HP with a cam, headers, and a tune. Can even use the stock ECU. The only thing your silly furren motor has is more valves, but the better heads for the LS motors (e.g. LS3 heads) flow pretty drat good for what they are.

:911:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Raluek posted:

Well, but LS motors [...] are way cheaper.

No. No they are not. You can get complete longblock 1UZ engines for sub $400 if you look around. You cannot in any way, shape, or form get a longblock LS(x) for anywhere near as cheap.

This link is to a nationwide search of 1UZFE engines, here is the bottom end of the price range (around $250 for a complete running long block, though $400 is a better price range for getting a sub 100k mileage motor):
http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/sea...ey=&userPage=22

e: scrolling down a bit, there's a couple on there with two-year warranties for as little as $215. For a complete, warrantied, running DOHC all-aluminium 6 bolt main, forged internals V8.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 10, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

HotCanadianChick posted:

No. No they are not. You can get complete longblock 1UZ engines for sub $400 if you look around. You cannot in any way, shape, or form get a longblock LS(x) for anywhere near as cheap.

This link is to a nationwide search of 1UZFE engines, here is the bottom end of the price range (around $250 for a complete running long block, though $400 is a better price range for getting a sub 100k mileage motor):

e: scrolling down a bit, there's a couple on there with two-year warranties for as little as $215. For a complete, warrantied, running DOHC all-aluminium 6 bolt main, forged internals V8.

If you're considering the aluminum block motors only (i.e. the ones actually designated "LS") then I suppose you are right. I was referring to the design in general, i.e. the LM/LY/LQ engines. My LM7 was $450, and it only had 80k miles on it. I'm sure you can get one for half that price now, in some places. Plus, that was what I paid for a complete motor, not just a longblock. Despite being an iron block, according to some quick googling it looks like the 1UZ weighs about as much as an iron block "LS" (LM7 in this example). Although I admit they're cheaper than I thought they'd be, since I don't see *400 cars on the road too often.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

HotCanadianChick posted:

And you are wrong because I can get any V8 I drat well want at the local picknpull for $200 longblock, $300 complete with all accessories, wiring, and ECU. Even when they don't have a sale going, then it is more like 180 (longblock) or 275 (complete.)

I will take the vortec, because they fit every GM trans ever, are widely available, parts are everywhere, and anyone can tune them. There are a dozen vortecs in my local yard for every toyota V8.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I'm going to quote Raluek's post again, maybe one of you can point out where he was talking about Vortecs and LT series motors.

Raluek posted:

Because he was specifically talking 'bout aluminium block LS series engines. Neither one of us was talking about dime-a-dozen truck motors.

I love me some LS3 action (and can think of a billion cars that came equipped with more expensive, heavier, less powerful engines that would be drastically improved by an LS3 swap), but they're not the best bargain basement V8 you can get.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

HotCanadianChick posted:

I'm going to quote Raluek's post again, maybe one of you can point out where he was talking about Vortecs and LT series motors.

Because he was specifically talking 'bout aluminium block LS series engines. Neither one of us was talking about dime-a-dozen truck motors.

I love me some LS3 action (and can think of a billion cars that came equipped with more expensive, heavier, less powerful engines that would be drastically improved by an LS3 swap), but they're not the best bargain basement V8 you can get.

All of what I said is true of the truck motors. The LS3 starts at 430HP, you don't need to do anything to it. People (myself included) tend to refer to generations III and IV of the small block Chevrolet V8 as "LS motors" even though some of them are called other things.

Perhaps you could also play dumb and pretend I was talking about the 1970 "LS6" 454 big block, because obviously RPO codes are all that matter in this discussion, right?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Arguing from ignorance, but isn't the LS and LT blocks so closely related they might as well be the same things?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CommieGIR posted:

Arguing from ignorance, but isn't the LS and LT blocks so closely related they might as well be the same things?

No. The LTx Generation II engines are very similar to a classic SBC (Gen. I), but with the coolant going backwards, and the distributor under the water pump. Gen. III was very much a redesign, although they kept bearing journal diameters, bellhousing pattern, and bore spacing the same.

Unless you meant the truck vs car "LS" motors (i.e. LM/LY/LQ etc vs LS), then yes, they're the same, except the truck version is made of iron instead of aluminum. There are some minor differences in the bosses for accessory mounting.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
They're all solid, reliable* engines with a shitload of aftermarket, but everyone wants them for swaps so all the scrappers and junkyards want way too much for all but the crappiest of the truck motors around here. :(

*exception for Optispark engines

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
The problem with the 1UZ is transmissions. It never came with a manual so you really have to Frankenstein it with custom adapter plates etc. Instead you can just go LS + T56 all day everyday.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

kastein posted:

And you are wrong because I can get any V8 I drat well want at the local picknpull for $200 longblock, $300 complete with all accessories, wiring, and ECU. Even when they don't have a sale going, then it is more like 180 (longblock) or 275 (complete.)

This is definitely not true in Australia where the Toyota V8 is much cheaper and more common

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

dissss posted:

This is definitely not true in Australia where the Toyota V8 is much cheaper and more common

Well, yeah. Run what is the best bang for buck on your local market, for sure.

I am surprised there was no manual in the tundra, didn't the V8 in it run the same bellhousing pattern? I mean, it would be a truck like transmission and you'd want to put a shift kit in it or something but at least it would be a starting point for a manual swap.

Also: there was an aluminum truck V8, it is the L33 and is basically an LM7 with an alloy block. I forget what they came in.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

kastein posted:

Well, yeah. Run what is the best bang for buck on your local market, for sure.

I am surprised there was no manual in the tundra, didn't the V8 in it run the same bellhousing pattern? I mean, it would be a truck like transmission and you'd want to put a shift kit in it or something but at least it would be a starting point for a manual swap.

Also: there was an aluminum truck V8, it is the L33 and is basically an LM7 with an alloy block. I forget what they came in.

Trailblazers and SSRs if I remember right.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

My 93 LS400 had 180k miles when I retired it and didn't use a drop of oil. Great engine.

E: Loved the flat six in my SVX too though. Incredibly smooth running and fairly powerful for its time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Too bad the transmission behind it was pretty much the opposite

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

slidebite posted:

Too bad the transmission behind it was pretty much the opposite

Yep. Mine started acting up around 50 or 60k. I totaled it not long after so never had to deal with it. Warped rotors and the tranny were the problems I had, but loved everything else about it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If the transmissions were decent I'd probably have had one years ago.

As I get old, fat and lazy I can't be bothered to buy a car knowing I'll 99% need to rip the transmission out. Wheel bearings/brakes I can live with OK, but not transmissions as a consumable.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Its not even them failing its just the logic behind them.

It'll downshift at the drop of a hat but unless you keep your foot glued to the floor its just going to upshift back to fourth after 3 seconds.

Only way you're really going to get the engine going is if you plan ahead and don't have anybody in front of you.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

slidebite posted:

If the transmissions were decent I'd probably have had one years ago.

As I get old, fat and lazy I can't be bothered to buy a car knowing I'll 99% need to rip the transmission out. Wheel bearings/brakes I can live with OK, but not transmissions as a consumable.
Long after mine was dead I came across a site saying people were adding transmission coolers to prolong the life of them but don't know if true or how effective it was but yeah, a lifespan-challenged AT is no good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
As a type of engine: 12a rotary. They stink, sound like hell, and barely make power: 3 reasons I love them.

As a specific single engine: the 2.5L rattle trap 4cyl in my Ranger because I've neglected it for the past 70,000 miles and it still runs like it's new.

• Locked thread