Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which fight are you most excited for?
This poll is closed.
Pettis/RDA 31 26.27%
WMMA belt 11 9.32%
Hendricks/Brown 42 35.59%
Nelson/Reem 34 28.81%
Total: 118 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Still amused at how Esparza was complaining before the fight about not being promoted enough as champion, only to get destroyed in the fight. She doesn't have a good personality and sucks at fighting, who would want to see someone like that? If Thug Rose had slightly better grappling/takedown defense and didn't blow so much stamina by trying crazy stuff early on, she probably would have won. Esparza is really bad in so many ways. It feels wrong that she got to have a belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
No excuses, but I couldnt see out of my eye...No excuses, my eye, I couldnt see out of it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MrSmokes posted:

Still amused at how Esparza was complaining before the fight about not being promoted enough as champion, only to get destroyed in the fight. She doesn't have a good personality and sucks at fighting, who would want to see someone like that? If Thug Rose had slightly better grappling/takedown defense and didn't blow so much stamina by trying crazy stuff early on, she probably would have won. Esparza is really bad in so many ways. It feels wrong that she got to have a belt.

Yes if Rose was a much better fighter she wouldn't have gotten completely outclassed in that fight.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Gleison Tibau has beat both Khabib Nurmagomedov and Rafael Dos Anjos

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Yes if Rose was a much better fighter she wouldn't have gotten completely outclassed in that fight.

I don't think she has to be a much better fighter to beat Esparza. I think it was poor tactics more than anything else that cost her the fight. She was throwing a lot of spinning poo poo, flying kicks and knees, and all it did was tire her out and cause her to give up takedowns. We'll never know for sure barring a rematch, but I really think Rose wins if she just strikes without the silly flying and spinning poo poo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MrSmokes posted:

I don't think she has to be a much better fighter to beat Esparza. I think it was poor tactics more than anything else that cost her the fight. She was throwing a lot of spinning poo poo, flying kicks and knees, and all it did was tire her out and cause her to give up takedowns. We'll never know for sure barring a rematch, but I really think Rose wins if she just strikes without the silly flying and spinning poo poo.

If she is getting gassed in a round by techniques she is throwing she needs the following according to your previous post:

Better coaching/strategy
Better cardio
slightly better grappling
slightly better wrestling

That's four areas she needs to improve and even if she just strikes she still has to deal with Carla's wrestling. Carla just seemed faster in that fight too.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Fair enough I guess. I just don't see the skill gap between her and Carla as being a massive one, and if nothing else, she's only 22 and has plenty of time to get better. I hope she does, she's fun to watch.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Just watched the fights and that was pretty good poo poo

david carmichael posted:

rda's team prepped him to fight the perfect fight against pettis. it played rda's strengths against pettis' (relative) weaknesses, and it was really obvious that they paid attention to both guys' previous fights and developed a clear and achievable path to victory for rda.

pettis' hair was tight though

Yeah from the first round it looked like they studied all the times Pettis looked bad and made sure to capitalize. It's crazy how under the radar RDA was after getting shoryukin'd by Stephens and then bam out of nowhere kills Bendo and beats Pettis.

Also I don't remember what the odds were for the women's fight but lol at anyone who watched Carla's last 3 fights and Johanna's last 3 and thought that Carla ought to be the favorite because wrestling - Carla is no Cejudo or Hendricks in the wrestling department and on TUF she nearly died trying to take down Tecia Torres.

I'm not sure how good Johanna stacks up because this division still stinks, but at the moment I think only Gadelha poses a challenge since she had least gotten in some productive offense in 3 rounds. Alexa Grasso might be a good opponent in a year or two but I feel like she's gonna suffer from a height and reach disadvantage and be fighting a much more savvy kickboxer. I hope Johanna can kill more TUF girls in the meantime.

Now Hendricks/Brown... Holy poo poo who complained about this? Brown did the best he could considering his only takedown defense was cheating and falling over. Hendricks put on a ridiculous pace and his transitions from striking to wrestling were seamless. I'm actually excited about seeing him make another title run as long as he comes in crazy shape like he did this time. This was a fun fight and I'd love to see 5 rounds of it some day.

Alistair Overeem is good enough to decision Roy Nelson and look kind of bad doing it. It's hard to imagine there was a time where he was considered a serious heavyweight contender. I guess he kind of has a chin now, so that's progress? Maybe being in a camp not full of Dutch kickboxers was a good move.

Henry Cejudo kind of stinks but hey it's flyweight, all he has to do is to kill one more lovely non-contender and I'm sure he'll get the Horiguchi treatment and be sacrificed to the altar of MMMDMMJ

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

MrSmokes posted:

Fair enough I guess. I just don't see the skill gap between her and Carla as being a massive one, and if nothing else, she's only 22 and has plenty of time to get better. I hope she does, she's fun to watch.

She had like 6 months to train for a world title fight, and in that time decided that she wasn't going to train any wrestling AT ALL. And remember, everyone on that TUF got paid like 40k in addition to TUF fight purses/bonuses to just sit out, do TUF, and train.

She's about as smart as Pat Barry is what I'm saying.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

MacDougall posted:

Rafael Dos Anjos lost his first career fight, first two UFC fights and has a loss just last year. He's fought 18 times in the UFC. It's cool that a guy like that through hard work, improvement and determination can rise up and become champ. It's gonna be tough to get the belt off him.

Khabib got dis

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
http://imgur.com/PSI0FCu

cripes

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Uberkneeeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Back to the monthly thread with you

• Locked thread