Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Moridin920 posted:

this is all I know about Heavy Rain:

SHAAAAAAAUN

SHAAAAAAAAAAUN

SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUN

SHAAAAAAAAAUN

SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAUN

SHAUN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

The twist is bad because in order to make the twist they had to reveal that previous gameplay interactions and cutscenes were in fact lies with no clues that they were lies at all.

Fredrik1 posted:

Is this the game where Shelby manages to kill someone in another room, while being locked in a bathroom, while the player was controlling him?

Or am I remembering incorrectly?
Aw, you guys are so mad that the game tricked you.

The point at which Shelby murders that dude, the game cut to a scene of his french prostitute friend staring at something in the shop for like thirty seconds. It's not Heavy Rain's fault that you didn't remember.

Philadelphia posted:

My favorite David Cage story is how he got obsessed with Ellen Page, collected pictures of her childhood to adulthood, and then wrote a 2000 page fanfic about her.
I will totally defend Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit for being pretty cool and interesting games, but gently caress Beyond.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Cubey posted:

my favorite is how he modeled the main female character in indigo prophecy on his cousin and then had her in a topless sex scene.

what about the incredibly awkward stripping scene or the being chased by rapists in your underwear scene in heavy rain. dude should not be allowed near tiny brunettes

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Davincie posted:

being chased by rapists in your underwear scene in heavy rain

Why do people always jump to that scene being about rape? Is it because the shower and lack of pants or simple fact that she's a woman and they are men puts people in the mindset that there are sexual implications to the scene? I mean, they straight-up murder her. They were chasing her to murder her, but everyone always says they're rapists. :confused:

Also, apparently the original plan was to have scenes with Madison as a war journalist in Iraq, which were the source of her nightmares. Not something that made it into the final game, but that further stresses the point.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
who loving cares, all of david cage's games are bad and are only considered good because nerds desperately want video games to be viewed as valid as an art form

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
also

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
SHAAAAAAAAUN

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Jamesman posted:

Why do people always jump to that scene being about rape? Is it because the shower and lack of pants or simple fact that she's a woman and they are men puts people in the mindset that there are sexual implications to the scene? I mean, they straight-up murder her. They were chasing her to murder her, but everyone always says they're rapists. :confused:

Also, apparently the original plan was to have scenes with Madison as a war journalist in Iraq, which were the source of her nightmares. Not something that made it into the final game, but that further stresses the point.

i dunno, people always said that so i assumed something i missed made it clear. scene's weird either way

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

VagueRant posted:

Aw, you guys are so mad that the game tricked you.

The point at which Shelby murders that dude, the game cut to a scene of his french prostitute friend staring at something in the shop for like thirty seconds. It's not Heavy Rain's fault that you didn't remember.
I will totally defend Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit for being pretty cool and interesting games, but gently caress Beyond.

I liked Heavy Rain way more than Beyond, but I still liked both. Beyond's problem was a) not being able to seriously gently caress up like in Heavy Rain, and b) too many times where Aiden can't do poo poo just because it's not what the game says you're allowed to do. Why can I only go through certain walls? Why can't I knock over whatever poo poo I want to? LET ME GIVE EVERYONE HEART ATTACKS AND CHOKE THEM OUT, INSTEAD OF JUST ONCE.

Also: JAAAASON! JaaaaSON!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Davincie posted:

i dunno, people always said that so i assumed something i missed made it clear. scene's weird either way

It's mostly weird because all the other stuff about Madison either never made it into the game, or was cut from the game, so in the end you just have this standalone scene that's largely disconnected from the rest of the story as a result. If they kept in the PTSD backstory and had more nightmare sequences that paralleled Ethan's blackout sequences, they might have had something there.

Instead, you just watch a girl take a shower and then get murdered and then it's like "OK that's that. We're not talking about that anymore."

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

SHAUUUN

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Broenheim posted:

who loving cares, all of david cage's games are bad and are only considered good because nerds desperately want video games to be viewed as valid as an art form

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Also it was the clown

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwTZ2xpQwpA

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Broenheim posted:

ironic calling people nerds when 1) you know who david cage is and 2) you've played enough of his video games to know if he sucks or not

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

fyodor posted:

Why are they called quicktime events

Quick Timer Event, or QTE is a term coined by Yu Suzuki for his game, Shenmue. It isn't the first game to have those types of events, in fact several laserdisc games were constructed entire of QTEs, but he was the first to popularize an actual name for the things. They are ingame events requiring quick reactions to beat a timer.

People just keep forgetting about the "er"

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
This is a very topical video for this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwTZ2xpQwpA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

mulder had sweet glasses in that game

also

SHAUN

• Locked thread