Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

how can anything be post-modern? i mean, right now is modern times. it literally means something that is happening now, as opposed to in the past, or in the future. the only things in the world that are post-modern are hypotheticals about future modernity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

gggiiimmmppp posted:

how can anything be post-modern? i mean, right now is modern times. it literally means something that is happening now, as opposed to in the past, or in the future. the only things in the world that are post-modern are hypotheticals about future modernity

there is a historical era called the modern era

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Mange Mite posted:

there is a historical era called the modern era

So in the future will Historians rename the 'modern' era, call the now-'post-modern' era the modern era, then call their era the post-modern era, or will be be more sane? I'm pretty sure people in the Baroque era (going by history of music) would have called their era the modern era. Unless they were more sane than people today.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ProfessorBooty posted:

So in the future will Historians rename the 'modern' era, call the now-'post-modern' era the modern era, then call their era the post-modern era, or will be be more sane? I'm pretty sure people in the Baroque era (going by history of music) would have called their era the modern era. Unless they were more sane than people today.

The typical term for the era we currently live in is contemporary. Modern has a lot of definitions with the broadest starting in like the 15th century.

Nobody knows what people will do 8n the future but it will probably so7nd retarded to us because people are retarded and we mostly don't notice in our daily lives because were used to it

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
dude the rennesance was the early part of the modern era. in the future they'll probably call their time something related to how civilization is radically different compared to now, i'm not a goddamn oracle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
profe i'm not an oracle: fuckin beat

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Doc Faustus was the first modern guy, c/d?

Pox
Feb 16, 2015
There is a thread about this in the comic book forum, and it is over 460 pages long lmao

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Junkfist posted:

How did it end?

Jackie D posted:

It didn't

Rebooted as Sonic Boom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Pirate Jet posted:

and then goons tried to argue that it was "tasteful" rofl

I did like how it set up that Sonic saying he was "going to have sex with his girlfriend" at the beginning of the comic was just posturing and didn't really happen. But yeah everything building up to that punchline was pretty irredeemably grody.

• Locked thread