Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

*scrolling down through the cute pill bug thread, looking at cute pictu--*
ARRRGGHHHH, gently caress YOU!

I hate those goddamned things. You can only kill them by chopping them up with a shovel, and they bite like a son of a bitch.

When I was a kid I used to play with pill bugs. I asked my dad once when he came home from work and was walking into the house, what they were called. He looked at them, said, "I don't know...I don't think they have a name" and continued on inside (to cut him some slack I'll say he was tired and didn't want to answer little kid questions).

I then and there thought I'd discovered a BRAND NEW BUG, and I knew that when that happens, you get to name it! So I did: 'Henrys'. So from then on I called pill bugs 'Henrys'. Also, I used to paint them with my watercolors so I'd have a bunch of colorful Henrys running around.

Pill bugs are awesome. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Henrys!!!

:neckbeard:

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

solaranus posted:

Is that an ant?

Who lets a bug just gently caress their finger up like its nbd

Weta

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite bug is the ant from Honey I Shrunk The Kids or HIStK

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Pick posted:

you piece of poo poo this is my thread

you are not allowed to make threads like this

:dealwithit:

Pecked To Death
Jun 27, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
We used to call em piss bugs

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Top City Homo fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 19, 2015

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
thanks for killing my thread gayfag

lordoftheT
Feb 2, 2015

Check out this cool dog!
As neat as roly poolies are there is really only so much you can say about them.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Put them in a bottom of a jar with water and watch them tear each other apart trying to get to the air bubbles that were collected under their bellies.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

solaranus posted:

Is that an ant?

they probably just smoked an 8 ball of marijuana

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

solaranus posted:

Is that an ant?

It's a weta and iirc that's bug saliva not blood

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

That's a pretty blue pillbug :3:

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

artsy fartsy posted:

God no, Florida? What a miserable, lovely state. I live in Texas.

As a Texan, I can confirm the gecko infestations. Absurdly cute, until one gets caught by a closing door and you feel horrible about it for the rest of the day. :smith:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I think rolly pollies are cute when they walk it looks like their legs are going slightly faster than they are moving so its like that cartoon scooby doo style motion. also its interesting how difficult it is to phonetically spell out "roly pollies". out loud its so simple to say

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Also they wobble side to side as they walk. :3:

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Say "Hi!" to Exosphaeroma pentcheffi & Exosphaeroma paydenae.

New species of marine roly poly pillbug discovered near Port of Los Angeles

Science Daily posted:

A new research paper published in the open access journal ZooKeys reports on a discovery made during a Los Angeles class fieldtrip -- a new species of marine pillbug (Crustacea: Isopoda). While documenting that new species, a second new species of pillbug originally collected 142 years ago by biologists on a wooden sailing ship in Alaska was discovered in a collection room at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County (NHM) by researchers Adam Wall and Dr. Regina Wetzer.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
That's one hell of a chin. I wonder if it's a bottom feeder?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I used to capture tons of rolly pollies as a kid and make some sort of shoebox apartment for them by filling it with dirt and soils. im not really sure if they ever thrived in it though.

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

That looks like it hurts, wtf

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

Devils Affricate posted:

☑ Unique ability
☑ They don't bite
☑ Mostly stay outside where they belong
☑ My food and their food are different
☑ Easy to catch
☐ Fun colors
☐ Useful

Pretty good bug over all I would say

This is an excellent bug rating system, stealing it

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
as a former child who spent many long hours picking up rocks and wet rotting chunks of wood and playing with whatever was underneath i can confirm that rolly pollies are great pals to have

don't put more than like 6 in your pocket though because they don't stay rolled up in cute balls forever and eventually they try to find their home and they'll look everywhere for it, just everywhere

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

yeah yeah, you and every other guy here

Companion Cube
Oct 11, 2007

We do what we must because WAAAAAAAAAGH!

Arriviste posted:

Alleyway hookups with fat chicks born with fetal alcohol syndrome malign the good name(s) of these bugs with hints and allegations.

Rolypolies have however been observed to have a short little span of attention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Sheep-Goats posted:

Doesn't have awesome battles with other bugs but still a good bug

I was stoned silly and watched an ant battle for hours. Big red ones versus little black ones. It was epic. No rolypolies harmed in this memory.

• Locked thread