Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The endpoint of logical wizards is the humans from Wall-E but in a fantasy setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I believe Spellcasting 101 has a section where you had to use "animate vegetable" spell or something of sorts to make ingredients march into an alchemy cauldron.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

How did this happen? It doesn't seem to be an April Fools joke, as the page was created in May. Was there some meme created somewhere that involved this guy?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

MegaZeroX posted:

How did this happen? It doesn't seem to be an April Fools joke, as the page was created in May. Was there some meme created somewhere that involved this guy?
It's a wiki run by Harry Potter nerds who must extensively document everything that ever appeared in the franchise. That guy's page is surprisingly short by those standards.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

MegaZeroX posted:

There's a reason I made the joke later about the alternate title for the update being "1,500 Results for 'Unidentified'". God bless Wikia editors.

Update tomorrow (or tonight, if work doesn't destroy me). In the meantime you can continue talking about stupid wizards and technology, if you want.

EDIT: Looks like it'll be Saturday night cause my wi-fi just crapped out for the billionth time these past few weeks, thank you AT&T. wouldn't have played splatoon all evening if I had known it was going to do that about 20 minutes after I was done.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 11, 2015

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Siegkrow posted:

Understatement of the century right here.

It's the entire basis of Methods of Rationality. Which, uh, has some really good points in it.

I'm kind of sad that I never got this game and assumed it was a poo poo licensed game, like the PS1 version which I did own. This game seems like a solid RPG, in line with Magi-Nation.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Olibu posted:

It's the entire basis of Methods of Rationality. Which, uh, has some really good points in it.

I'm kind of sad that I never got this game and assumed it was a poo poo licensed game, like the PS1 version which I did own. This game seems like a solid RPG, in line with Magi-Nation.

All I'm saying is let's not talk about Methods of Rationality here, there is a thread for that. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3702281

Looking forward to the update and to see what our other party members do in battle. :3:

Assuming we get other party members? :ohdear:

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 11, 2015

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

SystemLogoff posted:

All I'm saying is let's not talk about Methods of Rationality here, there is a thread for that. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3702281

Oh look, yet another thing I like is getting shat on by the Goonmind :smithicide:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

SystemLogoff posted:

Looking forward to the update and to see what our other party members do in battle. :3:

Other Party Members? Now I know I was just a stupid kid when I was playing this, but that must have been a well hidden secret, I never found it even after like 4 playthroughs.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
This game does not feature other party members. In response, Harry will become the God of Magic.

Timmy Horsey
Dec 13, 2012

The scream sound bit that the game did at this point was great.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Onmi posted:

This game does not feature other party members. In response, Harry will become the God of Magic.
This is true, and sad. The sequels Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban did do other party members though.

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS
It's been two months. Should we consider the LP abandoned, or is there still hope of an update?

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

The Watercrown posted:

It's been two months. Should we consider the LP abandoned, or is there still hope of an update?

I hope not. This is a game from my childhood.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

hey look down there it's an update that's totally not later than I had planned

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 9, 2015

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Chapter 4 - Dungeons and Houses

So now we're in the dungeons of Hogwarts and we got separated from our friends because, I don't know, gameplay. Welcome to another dungeon segment, which pretty much means running around a maze fighting monsters while occasionally mashing our faces into walls for hidden items.

The enemies here are green bats and giant rats, much bigger than the regular ones running around Gringotts. Don't know what these things have been eating down here, but I guess a giant magical castle would be the second best place to find giant rats. The first is, of course, a sewer level.

They're not too bad, just fight the rats off with Verdimillious (green) and the bats off with Vermillious (red) spells. Verm works okay on the rats too if you're low on MP. Don't bother using Flipendo unless you run out of MP, it does gently caress all for damage compared to everything else. But yeah, they're not too ba-

Oh dear.

OKAY LET'S TALK ABOUT DYING IN THIS GAME

There is no real game over in this game, thank god, and no real lost progress either other than walking. I'm pretty sure back in Diagon Alley and Gringotts you get sent to the free healing shop when you die, and in Hogwarts proper later you get sent to the nurse's office. In segments like these you just get sent back to the beginning (pretty sure this is the case for the boat ride, too). I don't believe you get any items back but you do keep most of your progress and get your SP and MP fully restored.

Anyway, we pretty much got screwed over for our first random encounter with two rats and a bat. This fight with one rat went much smoother.

And for our efforts we learned Vermillious Duo!

It costs a whopping 8 MP to use compared to the 2/3 of the Uno spells, but it sends these bats running for the hills in one shot. Price is still kinda steep at this point, though.

There's also treasure lying around here, too.

And regular rats, apparently. They're not too bad at all.

T'isn't safe off by yourself, Harry.

And then he just walks off. Okay.

Well, there are stairs past him but they just lead to another floor of the dungeon so thanks Hagrid for not waiting around and thanks Harry for not keeping up.

I'm glad I'm finding card Combinations but I hate all these drat dead ends. (The ones I've found so far are Drone and Double SP. Also I believe Malfoy gave us Nausea last update)

Sigh.

Yep, more dungeon.

I'm glad I bought Pepper-Up Potions because they heal a ton of MP. In this case, all of it.

BOSS: Animated Armor

Oh jeez I didn't even get to screenshot the giant blue encounter-blob to the left of the staircase because the hitbox is bigger than it looks. Anyway, boss time!

Just use spells that aren't Flipendo. Actually, go ahead and use Flipendo, it works too. This boss is pretty easy once you know that. There is a catch though. It hits fairly hard compared to everything else in the area and if you're low on SP or underleveled you are probably going to die before it does.

Everyone else already made it inside.

Yeah, yeah, whatever Hagrid.

Music - Hogwarts

The firs' year students, Professor McGonagall.

one of our houses: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, or Slytherin. Your house will be where you sleep and study. And the house points you earn may win the House Cup.

Yes, that's a thing in this game! More on that as it becomes relevant.

Psst...what are house points?
You earn them by doing well, or lose them by breaking the rules. They're added up at the end of the year and the house with the most points wins the Cup.
How are we 'sorted'?
I think we have to wrestle a troll.
Follow me, please.

Ugh, we're in school.

Anyway Harry has no initiative of his own so we can walk around the main entrance before joining the others.

If we examine the hourglasses, we can see the status of the House Points. Since the term hasn't even started yet, we're all on equal ground with 50 points. From left to right, there's Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin.

Since all the doors are locked and we can't go upstairs, there's nothing really to do here but go in the Great Hall.

Music - Great Hall

I hope they put us in the same house, and NOT Slytherin. They aren't all bad, but some nasty characters live there.

Hogwarts. Please find your table as soon as you are sorted into your house.

The big man himself. To his left is Professor Snape.

Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.
There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I'll tell you
Where you ought to be.'

Beautiful.

Granger, Hermione!

Potter, Harry!

Not Slytherin, not Slytherin...

Oh, I guess we have to find our table now.

Hufflepuff is best!

Nope.

Slytherin above all!
That's him, THE Harry Potter!
Too bad there isn't a Muggle table for you, Potter.

Clearly nope.

Oh hey the house ghosts. On the left is the Bloody Baron of Slytherin, the right is the Fat Friar of Hufflepuff.

Nothing beats Ravenclaw!
Is the house as messy as this table?

Nope, not it either. Pictured ghost: Helena Ravenclaw, or the Grey Lady.

of service?
Is this the Gryffindor table?

No, Harry, he's the resident ghost of Gryffindor Tower and he's at the table of Slytherin. What do you think-

Indeed it is. Glad to have you with us.

Thanks. I was feeling a bit lost.

That's Snape, the potions teacher and master of Slytherin. Watch out for him. The one in the turban is Quirrell; he teaches Defense Against the Dark Arts. They say Snape wants his job.

He won't be getting that job for a loooong while. Also if this were the book we would have met Quirrell already.

Well done, Ron!
You'll be with all of us!
All? Well...um....hmm...

A white flash and back, and then...

I hope you all enjoyed the welcoming banquet. Off to find your houses now!

Yaaaaaay! Also yes, new card combinations will become available at the Wizard Card Collector's Club as events go along, whatever that means.

Anyway, now that we've been sorted into Gryffindor, we just have to...well, find it. Tune in next time as we explore Hogwarts. There's a lot of it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Oh good this LP is back.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Onmi posted:

Oh good this LP is back.

Yep, I'm glad too. Is it odd I heard the card sound effects?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Oh cool, at this rate we might have SS done by the end of next year :v: but all things considered it's nice to see it's not abandoned (yet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose if you're from a place called Mimsy-Porpington, you either go Gryffindor or you go whatever house lets you mind-control everyone into thinking you actually came from a place called Dragon's Whisker or something.

• Locked thread