Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Kinda makes you wonder how it went in French.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know but it was a weird chose, thought like I said I guess it is technically applicable. Just why that word :cripes:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

That was an awful choice of words by that guy but at least the "face yourself" sequence was pretty neat. Styx being a former Orc mage makes that invisibility trick make a lot more sense.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah they did a kinda neat take on explaining the origins of goblins. I haven't finished Master of Shadows but I do know it's set before the events of this game, so maybe they explain that stuff a little bit more.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, out of curiosity, do any of your choices in the mines matter or do the enslaved Orcs always end up the same way in the last fight?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So about those origins of goblins: (spoilers for fairly late content of Styx: Master of Shadows) Styx was an orc shaman (and the son of the leader of his tribe) who got magicked by an artifact called Heart of the World Tree. He became smaller, gained some supernatural senses, telepathy and the extremely fun ability to make lesser clones of himself.
Now here's the kicker. Huge spoilers for that game:
So Styx isn't just the first goblin, he's in a very literal way the only goblin. Except our Styx (probably - keep reading) isn't the original: in an effort to get his hands on the Heart in order to become an orc again, he concocted a plan involving a sentient clone that stole key information studied paths to the Tree while he himself ran interference and acted as decoy for humans and elves who built a fort around it. Except he didn't count on the clone not just laying off and dying once its purpose was fulfilled: see, clones are linked to their original by a psychic link that allows controlling, sharing senses and kiling off when not needed - but this one managed to somehow gain a will strong enough to resist the command and eventually sever the link completely by being "reborn" in the World Tree's amber - aka magic goo. Now, the clone - who you're playing as - is motivated by pure spite and revenge, so he tracks down the original and they have a really badly designed battle at the Heart of the Tree at the end of which the clone destroys it before Styx can perfom whatever shamanic rite he intended to go Orc again and lose telepathy - he mentions being driven to the point of insanity by constantly hearing the thoughts of those around him several times. Anyhow, the results are cataclysmic, the whole enclave blows up and the Tree melts into even more goo, in which both clones disappear. At the end you get first person narration saying that the guy awakened on a dry lake bed, among a lot of other, lesser copies, only remembering the name Styx - and not being sure whether to be proud of it or despise it. It's never explicitly stated which one got away but a pretty good hint would be that the ending Styx doesn't have glowing yellow markings the World Tree's amber left on him so he's probably the clone.

Now excuse me, I gotta go turn myself in to the CIA Inquisition.

edit: So telling the ghost to gently caress off is very much in character and totally what Styx would do were it not up to the player.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 20, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
I refuse to credit Spiders with that much foresight.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, out of curiosity, do any of your choices in the mines matter or do the enslaved Orcs always end up the same way in the last fight?

They pretty much just all die every time I've played through and had different choices.

anilEhilated posted:

So about those origins of goblins: (spoilers for fairly late content of Styx: Master of Shadows) Styx was an orc shaman (and the son of the leader of his tribe) who got magicked by an artifact called Heart of the World Tree. He became smaller, gained some supernatural senses, telepathy and the extremely fun ability to make lesser clones of himself.
Now here's the kicker. Huge spoilers for that game:
So Styx isn't just the first goblin, he's in a very literal way the only goblin. Except our Styx (probably - keep reading) isn't the original: in an effort to get his hands on the Heart in order to become an orc again, he concocted a plan involving a sentient clone that stole key information studied paths to the Tree while he himself ran interference and acted as decoy for humans and elves who built a fort around it. Except he didn't count on the clone not just laying off and dying once its purpose was fulfilled: see, clones are linked to their original by a psychic link that allows controlling, sharing senses and kiling off when not needed - but this one managed to somehow gain a will strong enough to resist the command and eventually sever the link completely by being "reborn" in the World Tree's amber - aka magic goo. Now, the clone - who you're playing as - is motivated by pure spite and revenge, so he tracks down the original and they have a really badly designed battle at the Heart of the Tree at the end of which the clone destroys it before Styx can perfom whatever shamanic rite he intended to go Orc again and lose telepathy - he mentions being driven to the point of insanity by constantly hearing the thoughts of those around him several times. Anyhow, the results are cataclysmic, the whole enclave blows up and the Tree melts into even more goo, in which both clones disappear. At the end you get first person narration saying that the guy awakened on a dry lake bed, among a lot of other, lesser copies, only remembering the name Styx - and not being sure whether to be proud of it or despise it. It's never explicitly stated which one got away but a pretty good hint would be that the ending Styx doesn't have glowing yellow markings the World Tree's amber left on him so he's probably the clone.

Now excuse me, I gotta go turn myself in to the CIA Inquisition.

edit: So telling the ghost to gently caress off is very much in character and totally what Styx would do were it not up to the player.

I really need to finish that game.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 20, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, hope you like reused levels.
Also the final boss is all sorts of horrible and you're hosed if you get there without any items.
Good game overall but christ is there a lot of padding.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's how I feel about Of Orcs & Men, good game (at least in story & gameplay concept) but leaves a lot to be desired.

Styx 2 was announced so maybe they'll get that stuff from Styx 1 sorted.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, they used the word again in this episode (thankfully for the last time) :cripes:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You shall not pass!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I'm actually surprised that an elderly mentor figure such as him survived for so long. Gotta say that Arkail and Styx's death aura rivals that of the Lone Wolf himself by now.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We've reached the Isle of Laments to finally get to that drat Emperor guy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well, it was one hell of a detour through side quests and failed orc revolutions but now that we're back on track I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Part 19 is now up. Mistakes were made.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Majority was indeed the term they meant to use, as "age of majority" means legal adulthood. Speaking of terms, they used the awkward "psychic rape" again, though I suppose it's slightly more appropriate this time since what they're planning is close to outright mind control.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Huh, go figure. Didn't know that was a term to be honest, but in hindsight makes a lot of sense.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Who was Barimen again?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Sure love how daringly awful the writing in all of Spiders' games is. Let's drop some deliciously loaded phrases in hopes people forgive our god-awful grasp of game mechanics.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DOOP posted:

Who was Barimen again?

He was the human helping the Orc resistance in The Mire.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Unfunny Poster posted:

He was the human helping the Orc resistance in The Mire.
It's also the name of the governor of the fortress you end up destroying as Styx in Styx. He gets killed by Styx. Not sure if related.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 15, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This is actually kind of interesting -- Arkail is warfighting like an orc, looking to take down the other chieftain and scatter the enemy that way. But humans don't break that easily, or maybe it's just that they all want to be chieftain.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I'm not sure if the Barimen in Styx is related to the Barimen in Of Orcs & Men.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The finale to Of Orcs & Men is here. :frogsiren:

Like I said in the OP and throughout the LP, this is a game that's charming enough to be kept around because at least it tried to do a bit of a different thing with who the good guys were etc. and gave the perspective to the typical bad guys in most fantasy games.

There's a lot of potential in what they were doing, I just wish it was less bogged down by weird and somewhat stiffled writing :smith:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

All things considered its probably a good thing that there isn't really a boss with the fights being so difficult to manage, though that seemed like a pretty forgiving final level given some of the encounters that preceded it.

I was expecting a lot worse from this from some of the reviews it got. At least from the outside it seemed enjoyable enough, and we got Styx's games out of it too. Thanks for the LP.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Orcs in speedos. Thanks game. I really wanted to see that.

Thanks for slogging through this corridor shooter basher of a game. :)

Poil fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 16, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm glad you guys enjoyed this wonderful, yet highly flawed, game. :toot:

Edit - I'll keep the thread open til Sunday and then close it.

Thanks again for joining me on this LP journey.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 16, 2016

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Thanks for the LP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks.

Going to close the thread. I really do appreciate everyone watching the videos and talking about the game in here.

:glomp:

• Locked thread