Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Newport is... yeah, it's not great. I have good friends and good memories of going to gigs there, but I also try to avoid it as well. They've tried their best to develop and clean the place up, but it's not somewhere I feel amazingly comfortable which I don't get around here. You get a fair amount of people who live in Newport and other cheaper areas who commute into Cardiff, we really are a little London in that respect. Plenty of people living in their valleys houses that cost £30k a bunch of years back, so a Cardiff wage based on their cost of living is great. Not so much when you actually want to live in the place you work, although I have the luxury of being a home worker so I could get out of here if I wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Zzulu posted:

I live in the Europe

we got beautiful women here and sometimes real good food

well, that's my side of the story

fairly sure you're Scandinavian so lol at the second one

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Swedish specific cuisine is garbage, perhaps some of the worst in the world, but we got some nice restaurants here :colbert:

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 23, 2015

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Vk2EAT8go

holy poo poo Charlotte Church

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

babypolis posted:

there is nothing inherently wrong with limiting immigration. the hosed up part is that labor is extrmely constrained in its movement, but capital can go wherever the gently caress he wants and do as it pleases. this is the hosed up part. if you want free trade then we should also have free immigration and anyone who disagrees with this is a loving retard

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

ChlorophileAddict posted:

I'm still trying to get my head around the "it's not our fault for living outside our means it's others ' fault for giving us money to do so because we faked the data" bit.
Not sure how that works but on 2 hrs of sleep arguing makes no sense.

lol if you think the german and french banks didnt know wxactly what was going on

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015

babypolis posted:

lol if you think the german and french banks didnt know wxactly what was going on

they still didn't force the greeks to live outside their means did they?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I'm still trying to get my head around the "it's not our fault for living outside our means it's others ' fault for giving us money to do so because we faked the data" bit.
Not sure how that works but on 2 hrs of sleep arguing makes no sense.

they still didn't force the greeks to live outside their means did they?

predatory lending is bad and usually illegal when an individual does it to another individual hth

yeah some of the responsibility is obv theirs for failing to tax their most lucrative industry (transport/shipping) because their rich don't want taxes and spending poo poo tons of money on the Olympics and whatever, but they still got loan sharked which is also bad.

Not to mention your average Greek had nothing to do with it, it's their government that took the loans and then squandered the money so surely you can understand why the average Greek is pissed off.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 23, 2015

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the greeks still hosed up sure, but they thought they were going to keep getting that money. the banks knew they were doing something unsustainable and that as soon as poo poo hit they fan they would get bailed out and yet they didint give a single gently caress

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moridin920 posted:

predatory lending is bad and usually illegal when an individual does it to another individual hth

yeah some of the responsibility is obv theirs for failing to tax their most lucrative industry (transport/shipping) because their rich don't want taxes and spending poo poo tons of money on the Olympics and whatever, but they still got loan sharked which is also bad.

Not to mention your average Greek had nothing to do with it, it's their government that took the loans and then squandered the money so surely you can understand why the average Greek is pissed off.

Doesn't the avg Greek skip out on paying taxes? Or has that been solved.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Scooby Doo edit of the gang removing rubber mask from tory party revealing UKIP

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

i don't quire remember any greeks complaining about their 14 monthly wages in one year(12 monthly wages plus 1 extra at xmas and 1 extra at easter) or the retiring age of 55.
It seems to me the average greek took advantage of it while at the same time everybody ran like hell from paying taxes and are now complaining because it beats the crap out of taking responsibility.

It was the greek government who worked actively with Goldmann Sachs to cook the numbers.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

i don't quire remember any greeks complaining about their 14 monthly wages in one year(12 monthly wages plus 1 extra at xmas and 1 extra at easter) or the retiring age of 55.
It seems to me the average greek took advantage of it while at the same time everybody ran like hell from paying taxes and are now complaining because it beats the crap out of taking responsibility.

It was the greek government who worked actively with Goldmann Sachs to cook the numbers.

Seems to me like the Greeks aren't enjoying anything outlandish compared to how people in the rest of Europe live. There's a European country that straight gives citizens a stipend to go on vacation with every year and that country is doing just fine. Like they for real get around $1000-2000 each summer just to vacation with.

Everybody ran like hell from paying taxes because the government is stupid.

Darth123123 posted:

Yeah but that is a failure of the government more than anything else. Besides the real revenue loss, like I said, is from the 0% tax on the biggest industry. The amount of transport ships that are Greek account for over 15% of the world's shipping and Greece has one of if not the largest shipping industry in the world. 0% tax.

The amount they could get from reasonably taxing their rich (who were having a giant orgy party at the cost of tens of thousands of dollars on a boat off the coast of Athens while people in the city were rioting) is way more than the amount they'd get hounding the average citizen for tax money.

\/\/\/ all that too

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Darth123123 posted:

The average Greek working slob gets taxes deducted from their paycheque before they get hold of it, same as everywhere else, so they don't get a chance to skip out on anything. The people who can cheat are self-employed professionals.

As for the '14 months of pay' thing, I've seen that done in other countries too. It's not in and of itself a bad thing, it's a kind of enforced saving for Christmas. It doesn't mean you get more money in a year than you otherwise would, it's just divided over 14 periods not 12. It''d be like me getting all lovely with all the people in the US who get paid 26 times a year when I only get paid 12. :mad:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Like yeah, the Greek government mismanaged their finances. At the same time, other EU nations took advantage and did some predatory lending.

As a result, the average Greek citizen is suffering from austerity; an economic policy that is a complete failure, btw. It doesn't help that Germany is constantly leaning on Greece to just cut everything to the bone so they can pay back the loan, and gently caress the average citizen.

It's reasonable for the average Greek to be pissed.

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

Seems to me like the Greeks aren't enjoying anything outlandish compared to how people in the rest of Europe live. There's a European country that straight gives citizens a stipend to go on vacation with every year and that country is doing just fine. Like they for real get around $1000-2000 each summer just to vacation with.

that country is Romania. and it's the poorest country in Europe. Those money are in fact a masked subsidy for the Romanian tourism which is hilariously mismanaged to the point where most romanians would rather go on holiday abroad.
Also the average European retires at 65+

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

Like yeah, the Greek government mismanaged their finances. At the same time, other EU nations took advantage and did some predatory lending.

As a result, the average Greek citizen is suffering from austerity; an economic policy that is a complete failure, btw. It doesn't help that Germany is constantly leaning on Greece to just cut everything to the bone so they can pay back the loan, and gently caress the average citizen.

It's reasonable for the average Greek to be pissed.

methinks the average Greek citizen should be more pissed at the previous Greek governments.
The average German is pissed because they don't see why they have to pay for the Greeks' gently caress ups.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

methinks the average Greek citizen should be more pissed at the previous Greek governments.
The average German is pissed because they don't see why they have to pay for the Greeks' gently caress ups.

The average Greek is pissed at the government. They are also pissed at Germany because Germany's solution is 'gently caress the citizens, pay us. cut literally everything. pay us.'

The average German is pissed because the media there (and I lived there for a year recently so I know) is nonstop 'those lazy Greeks!' and totally misconstruing the situation to appear like Germany was just helping them out from the kindness of Merkel's heart and now those lazy Greeks are trying to skip out on repaying. I would actually say the average German doesn't care all too much, though.

that country is Romania. and it's the poorest country in Europe. Those money are in fact a masked subsidy for the Romanian tourism which is hilariously mismanaged to the point where most romanians would rather go on holiday abroad.
Also the average European retires at 65+

France also gives holiday vouchers to families. In addition to all kinds of other breaks (super cheap public transport, etc.) for families with multiple children. The European Union as a whole just declared tourism/vacationing as a right, and are calling for subsidized travel for young people, poors, and pensioners.

All that is also in addition to the fact that your average European job comes with 4-6 weeks paid vacation while the USA workers get the shaft.

And fwiw I was talking about a Scandinavian country, not Romania.

Europe in general has tons of worker benefits and subsidies and poo poo like that, if you are thinking Greece has it super lax for some reason you're just wrong. Hell in Spain everyone takes an hour or two off in the middle of the day just to chill.

The difference is Europeans fundamentally think of poor people differently. Where Americans go 'you're poor because you're lazy,' Europeans generally think the poor have just been unlucky or disenfranchised somehow.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 23, 2015

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

The average Greek is pissed at the government. They are also pissed at Germany because Germany's solution is 'gently caress the citizens, pay us. cut literally everything. pay us.'

The average German is pissed because the media there (and I lived there for a year recently so I know) is nonstop 'those lazy Greeks!' and totally misconstruing the situation to appear like Germany was just helping them out from the kindness of Merkel's heart and now those lazy Greeks are trying to skip out on repaying. I would actually say the average German doesn't care all too much, though.

France also gives holiday vouchers to families. In addition to all kinds of other breaks (super cheap public transport, etc.) for families with multiple children. The European Union as a whole just declared tourism/vacationing as a right, and are calling for subsidized travel for young people, poors, and pensioners.

All that is also in addition to the fact that your average European job comes with 4-6 weeks paid vacation while the USA workers get the shaft.

Europe in general has tons of worker benefits and subsidies and poo poo like that, if you are thinking Greece has it super lax for some reason you're just wrong. Hell in Spain everyone takes an hour or two off in the middle of the day just to chill.

that's it. gently caress the UK I'm moving :)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

that's it. gently caress the UK I'm moving :)

well you guys are trying to do USA-lite for some reason and you've never particularly been in lock step with the general European community :shrug:

Just saying it isn't the average Greek person's fault their country is in financial ruin but they are suffering the most because instead of higher taxes on the rich and massive industries that make tons of money, the plan is austerity.

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

well you guys are trying to do USA-lite for some reason and you've never particularly been in lock step with the general European community :shrug:

Just saying it isn't the average Greek person's fault their country is in financial ruin but they are suffering the most because instead of higher taxes on the rich and massive industries that make tons of money, the plan is austerity.

well we're in lock step with europe on the austerity poo poo.
but i guess you are right on Greece.

Another thing that I never saw mentioned is the fact that Greece has been for decades in a state of cold war wiih Turkey and spent a whit ton of money on stuff like submarines etc in case of war.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean don't get me wrong, I'm Bulgarian so I'd be among the first to tell you the Greeks are shitlords that peaked 2000 years ago.

And yeah I guess you're right RE the austerity in Europe, idk why that's taking off (well I do but drat).

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm Bulgarian so I'd be among the first to tell you the Greeks are shitlords that peaked 2000 years ago.

And yeah I guess you're right RE the austerity in Europe, idk why that's taking off (well I do but drat).

I'm Romanian just from the north of Danube :) watched a lot of Bulgarian TV as a child.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the average german should shut the gently caress up and pay those bills because they set up the system so that it constantly benefits them at the expense of everyone else and now that the system is faliing greece they are like "lol not my fault"

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

not really. coffee in London £9, coffee in the Midlands £4

rents are 3 times the rents in in the Midlands.
My flat in Leicester- good area, close to shops, 1 bed+ livingroom=£360/month
same in London- not even that good of an area- £1500+/month

go to St Pancras one evening at 7. You'll see that the Midlands literally is now the commuter belt.

the gently caress, who pays £9 for a coffee anywhere

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
i thought your average euro-chomedome loves the first past the post or pairlementary... system that you have

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Not paying taxes ever is a way cooler national pastime than baseball

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015

Malcolm XML posted:

the gently caress, who pays £9 for a coffee anywhere

well yoiu see some of us have lives and like to go out.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Does this mean I can finally get a part time job at my local tesco ?

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015

BurnBlackJay posted:

Does this mean I can finally get a part time job at my local tesco ?

why

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Moridin920 posted:

Hell in Spain everyone takes an hour or two off in the middle of the day just to chill.
That's due to the heat though, some regions in Spain get so hot in the summer that walking around outside can quickly cause heatstroke. So, most businesses and offices in those regions close for a couple of hours. Workers usually work longer in the evenings. They still work the usual 40+ hours per week.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

well yoiu see some of us have lives and like to go out.

bruv i mentioned your £9 coffee to people irl who live in london and we've all been scratching our heads over where that could possibly be.

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015

opus111 posted:

bruv i mentioned your £9 coffee to people irl who live in london and we've all been scratching our heads over where that could possibly be.

some club. They tend to be stupidly overpriced

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
just looked up postgrad medicine prices for foreigners in the UK, lol at least I can get full funding for PhDs and then I can open a microscope factory or some poo poo and earn more than people who burn their cash like that

This Charming Goat
Sep 5, 2012

some club. They tend to be stupidly overpriced

Clubs sell coffee?

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Moridin920 posted:

its austrian but still topical

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moridin920 posted:

The difference is Europeans fundamentally think of poor people differently. Where Americans go 'you're poor because you're lazy,' Europeans generally think the poor have just been unlucky or disenfranchised somehow.

How's Spain doin nowadays?

E someone else's fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Darth123123 posted:

How's Spain doin nowadays?

E someone else's fault

Nah Spain is still recovering from when they crashed the price of gold and also their whole economy by bringing too much back from the Americas too fast.

The whole concept of a single country being at fault is dumb anyway, geopolitics are more complex than that.

• Locked thread