Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009
I'm happy the M's got anything at all out of Ackley, Happ, and Lowe. Today was a good day :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

MourningView posted:

Starlin Castro in his current state could play for free and still be a negative.

Yeah he's sucking hard right now, but there's no reason to force a bad trade just to dump him when his contract isn't bogging the team down. Castro's BABIP in 2015 is 45 points lower than his career average and he's gotten over 150 hits in each of the past 4 seasons, including one year with over 200 hits. He's still got good upside even if he is having a bad season. His trade value is as low as it's gonna get right now, so I'm glad Theo and Hoyer were patient enough to not pull the trigger when they couldn't get what they wanted in return for Starlin.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
The whole point of Starlin Castro is that he is BABIP dependent. In his good seasons he had extremely high BABIPs that are very hard to keep up unless you are super fast or a legendary hitter. Guys like him are very dangerous to lock up when their only real skill is putting the ball in play.

Castro got locked up because they bought the future power projections on him, and I don't really believe they've ever thought he is a shortstop long-term but now he has to play shortstop to be of any value.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Well, some might say he's a lot like Tony Gwynn!

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I'm going through some serious Trade withdrawl right now. Still instinctively going to MLB Trade Rumors all the time.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

There could be more trades! Its waiver season baby.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
I liked getting Ramirez and Soria but I can;t say I understand either of the Pirates moves today at all. Hypothetically Morse is the righty platoon to El Toro, but he's like 2-22 against lefties this year and looks straight up done so it's really doubtful he''ll be of any use. As far a Happ goes, now that Burnett is on the DL, couldn't we have just kept Worley around and promoted back in to the rotation Or better yet, just promote Adrian Sampson, who will probably be just as lovely as Happ but with many more years of control? I don't know, everything today seems really pointless and making moves for the sake of making moves and quieting people screaming for them to go all in

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

MassaShowtime posted:

Well, some might say he's a lot like Tony Gwynn Jr!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

a rowdy mullet posted:

I'm happy the M's got anything at all out of Ackley, Happ, and Lowe. Today was a good day :unsmith:

Yeah, I was worried the Mariners would stand pat to try and prove their process works. They extracted value from fungible assets, and while the players they got will likely never be major contributors, you never know.

• Locked thread