Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should have won the war?
Allied powers
Central powers
Goku should have come in and kicked rear end
View Results

• Locked thread
the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

therattle posted:

Ranking officer? The average lifespan of a British 2nd lieutenant in WWI was measured in days.

And thats why he said ranking officer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

drunkill posted:

On average WW2 infantry saw ~10 days of combat per year, WW1 is around ~120 days a year. Ten it ramps up in Vietnam to 240 days a year for US infantry, helicopters mean you can get to hospital pretty quick, if you aren't dead. Of course it depends on the country too, German WW1 soldiers were serving on the front line much longer than Commonwealth forces or the French before being rotated out.

While you may have gotten rotated out of the frontline trenches in WW1 you are still in some crappy conditions in the reserve areas, many soldiers died from non-combat things too.

Is that combat counting as just time at the front, or combat in actual fighting? Because yes, rotation times sucked in WWI, the whole time in the trench you weren't fighting, especially when the winter months moved in and everyone was more concerned about keeping warm.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Actual fighting as far as I know, WW1 numbers are probably inflated a bit, given that there was two types of fighting, sitting in trenches and shooting or 'over the top' attacks. But even if you were sitting in trenches and not shooting you were getting shelled a fair amount every day, unlike ww2 where you might be stationed in a town but the enemy is a hundred kilometers away.

Pimping the Great War channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LOaNzQbi00
They release two videos a week, one covering the events of the war week by week 100 years ago and another indepth video on one particular subject from anytime in the war. Worth watching it for ~10mins every week.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Vietnam had way better drugs and music and climate and prostitutes

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Prostitutes were dangerous. My aunt's neighbor was a vet, used to tell me stories of the war. He said you had to be really careful because some of the women would fit razor blades in their snatch so when some GI would gently caress them...well....you can guess the results

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

SocketWrench posted:

Prostitutes were dangerous. My aunt's neighbor was a vet, used to tell me stories of the war. He said you had to be really careful because some of the women would fit razor blades in their snatch so when some GI would gently caress them...well....you can guess the results

Sounds like a bullshit story to scare newly deployed soldiers.

Ivor Biggun fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Aug 18, 2015

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
The weird and brutal WW1 stuff was interesting. Almost a steampunk war in places

http://thebrigade.com/2012/07/26/friday-firepower-strangest-weapons-of-wwi-43-photos/

http://www.iwm.org.uk/history/weird-first-world-war-weapons-and-other-surprising-objects

http://izismile.com/2012/07/19/really_weird_wwi_weapons_42_pics.html

God drat grenade catapult

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
the best place to be in wwi was on a british battleship, and not one of the lovely old ones that got blown up in the dardenelles, but a real dreadnought crumping the germans in the north sea

either your ship was fine and you lived, which most of them were, or you were immediately shredded along with a thousand other dudes when your magazine caught a shell

just drive around in a boat for a while, and either you survive the war or you get a quick, yet grisly, death. pro tier imo.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

SocketWrench posted:

Except this would destroy their pussy too? your antuies neighbour wa sa dead poo poo

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

drunkill posted:

On average WW2 infantry saw ~10 days of combat per year, WW1 is around ~120 days a year. Ten it ramps up in Vietnam to 240 days a year for US infantry, helicopters mean you can get to hospital pretty quick, if you aren't dead. Of course it depends on the country too, German WW1 soldiers were serving on the front line much longer than Commonwealth forces or the French before being rotated out.

While you may have gotten rotated out of the frontline trenches in WW1 you are still in some crappy conditions in the reserve areas, many soldiers died from non-combat things too.

yeah, the soldiers had it worse in WW1, but the point i was making was the majority of suffering from WW2 was civilians that did not have a military backing them and making sure they get food/medicine. can you really say that a child whos house and parents are destroyed in a bombardment suffers less than a front line WW1 soldier? at the very least the WW1 soldiers did not have to worry about their family being killed, only their friends.

it really is hard to quantify, but i personally believe the "average total human suffering" was much greater in WW2

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lascivious Sloth posted:

the napoleonic wars when you think about it was the first modern world war. it involved all of europe, russia, most of middle east, even africa and i'm guessing other parts of the world i can't think of. I think even americas were involved and other little colonies like jamacia, at least in terms of funding it.

you can thank America for funding Napoleons campaigns, you all gave him a tidy sum to purchase roughly half of your territory

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Thankfully, napoleon wasn't our problem and I imagine we were probably still sweet on the french for all that revolutionary help

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I think it really is dependent on the individual circumstances that determines their suffering in each case. on a statistical level of affected persons wwII is objectively a war that affected the most people and caused the most damage, however in theory WWI was the CAUSE of wwII, so if that is a factor, WWI really resulted in the after-effect of the most damage in recent history. In terms of atrocities, every single conflict (including current) has some of the worst things to ever happen, including but not limited to the interogations of american prisoners of war in gitmo. However, even things such as the deaths and suffering in Syria and Iraq in the last few years is still some of the worst war crimes in history. Irconically, even that can be linked to WW1 through to WW2, then vietnam, korea, and americans war on terrorism (lol). So really, it's all political, and death to politicians. Hth

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I think it really is dependent on the individual circumstances that determines their suffering in each case. on a statistical level of affected persons wwII is objectively a war that affected the most people and caused the most damage, however in theory WWI was the CAUSE of wwII, so if that is a factor, WWI really resulted in the after-effect of the most damage in recent history. In terms of atrocities, every single conflict (including current) has some of the worst things to ever happen, including but not limited to the interogations of american prisoners of war in gitmo. However, even things such as the deaths and suffering in Syria and Iraq in the last few years is still some of the worst war crimes in history. Irconically, even that can be linked to WW1 through to WW2, then vietnam, korea, and americans war on terrorism (lol). So really, it's all political, and death to politicians. Hth

I don't disagree really but linking things through history doesn't stop at WWI.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hemophilia posted:

Thankfully, napoleon wasn't our problem and I imagine we were probably still sweet on the french for all that revolutionary help

most of the american government was pretty sweet on France up until the terror, heck Thomas Paine (the guy who arguably began the American revolution) went over there and participated in it. they where all for revolution, but once it started getting ugly and heads began to roll they washed their hands of it and weasled out of the "Treaty of Perpetual Alliance" they had signed with France during their own revolution.

Jefferson was no fan of Napoleon, at that point everyone saw him as a tyrant, but he didn't really give a poo poo. if Europe is in general war then they can't bother America any more, and everyone in the USA loved free land more than anything else, so he bought the Louisiana territory (at the time basically half the continent, not just the current state of Louisiana)

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Drunkboxer posted:

I don't disagree really but linking things through history doesn't stop at WWI.

agreed

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
People don't believe me when I tell them the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand was THE most significant event of the 20th century. Just about everything else could be traced back to it in some way.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I was going to mention the russian revolution as a seperate important event but actually iirc that goes back to ferdinand too, at least partially. Wasn't Lenin in exile in Germany and they deliberately sent him back to destabilize the already taxed russian monarchy

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Retail Slave posted:

People don't believe me when I tell them the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand was THE most significant event of the 20th century. Just about everything else could be traced back to it in some way.

I think you know this isn't true but you're posting to rile people up

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Retail Slave posted:

i'd say the Franco-Prussian war would be a more accurate event to trace back all of the world wars to. before then Germany was a large group of separate kingdoms (France made very sure to keep it this way, going back to the middle ages), after the Franco-Prussian war, the German Empire was formed. the new empire was an industrial powerhouse, rival to all the great european powers, but late to the colonization game, so they had a burning desire to acquire some territory before it was too late.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

i'd say the Franco-Prussian war would be a more accurate event to trace back all of the world wars to. before then Germany was a large group of separate kingdoms (France made very sure to keep it this way, going back to the middle ages), after the Franco-Prussian war, the German Empire was formed. the new empire was an industrial powerhouse, rival to all the great european powers, but late to the colonization game, so they had a burning desire to acquire some territory before it was too late.

Haha well all the loving wars they started caused the other powers to lose all their colonies (eventually) so they ended up kinda getting what they wanted

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I think you know this isn't true but you're posting to rile people up

It directly led to WWII which led to the cold war, the rise of communism, Vietnam,etc.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

gavrilo princip epic troll

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Retail Slave posted:

Looks like some one is forgetting about the creation of the Something Awful forums and then a few years later the paid membership scheme created to thwart just one dude who did nothing but post triangles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Rutibex posted:

Its all fallout from the unification of Germany. That the Germans adopted militarism as their main ideology didn't help, but the unification of Germany inevitably led to wars on mainland Europe, and technology conspired to make sure those wars were the worst to date. The communists also had some sick timing.

• Locked thread