Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

jerkstoresup posted:

I was worried it was going to be 7 hours of guys sitting in humvees being bored and doing very pointless missions. It was, but it was a lot better than my assumptions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-51KspYwb4s

One of my favorite scenes from the mini-series.

If it hasn't been mentioned, 'The Brest Fortress' is a pretty good Russian WWII movie (Called Fortress of War in the States). The whole thing is on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J_wyXGa9dc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My buddy had a situation where a captain was trying to do an unnecessary fire mission and told him he was a retard so I bet he would get s kick out of generation kill. Also that captain hosed his career up so lol to that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The other thing I really like about The Pacific is that it ditches the idealism of the "greatest generation" bullshit and throws stones into that mindset's half blown apart head. The Pacific War is probably the nastiest theater of World War 2 just by the nature of the Japanese army. I don't think there is another conflict in modern history where the killed outnumbered the wounded except in the Pacific. Even on the giant eastern front it was still the regular wounded outnumber killed numbers. There is none of that fighting the Japanese and I love that the show focused on just how brutal things got. There isn't that same sense of camaraderie in The Pacific as in BOB because the constant influx of replacements were getting slaughtered. It does not pull its punches.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
The Pacific was also significantly shorter than Band of Brothers. 540 minutes to 705. When you've got a narrative bouncing around between three people that really hurt it.

Not sure why they went with shorter episodes. Money? It's even less History Channel friendly than Band of Brothers.

imurdaddy415
Sep 15, 2015
Just finished the first ep. tonight.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Hunterhr posted:

The Pacific was also significantly shorter than Band of Brothers. 540 minutes to 705. When you've got a narrative bouncing around between three people that really hurt it.

Not sure why they went with shorter episodes. Money? It's even less History Channel friendly than Band of Brothers.

Pacific could have been really excellent if it only did the Sledge storyline - as is it dipped down to just "good" too often to be on the BoB/Generation Kill tier.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Copper Vein posted:

One thing about Spiers' portrayal in the series that never really gelled with me is that in episode 2 when he is first introduced, he is first gunning down prisoners and later is leading his whole squad to get waxed taking one german gun emplacement when Easy took out three without a casualty (Hall was from Able and Able don't count). So Spiers is initially characterized as reckless and cold-blooded; but then by episode 7 when Easy has to take the town of Foy, Spiers is the untouchable, unflappable savior of the company.

I don't know much about the history of Easy past what was shown in the series, but as far as the narrative of the show goes, to me, Compton and Lipton were the characters that were constantly shown being competent and attentive squad leaders while Spiers only showed up every now and again to creep out his fellow soldiers. I never felt that the show built the character up to be the guy that Winters would suddenly call upon to save his former company.

Amazing scene, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=R6da9U6Xjd8#t=248

in that later episode he indicates that he probably didn't kill those prisoners, but isn't going to tell people that because the myth builds morale. he was called upon because he happened to be right behind winters, and even spiers admits that Lipton would've been a great choice.

that whole episode was weird though, it didn't quite have the same feel of other episodes (although it did have some amazing scenes)

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

gohuskies posted:

Pacific could have been really excellent if it only did the Sledge storyline - as is it dipped down to just "good" too often to be on the BoB/Generation Kill tier.

One of the things that bothered me was that the whole "Leckie gets burned by the Aussie girl" never took place. They spent an entire episode on some made up bullshit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AFewBricksShy posted:

One of the things that bothered me was that the whole "Leckie gets burned by the Aussie girl" never took place. They spent an entire episode on some made up bullshit.

Apparently the real Leckie had multiple girlfriends during his time in Australia, so that girl was just a sort of amalgamation of them all, except the story was entirely fictional.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I hear the reason they spent so much time in Australia was that it was a condition of the money they got from Australia is this true

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mange Mite posted:

I hear the reason they spent so much time in Australia was that it was a condition of the money they got from Australia is this true

So the same reason that the film Passchendaele spent three quarters of its runtime in Alberta. Funding and advertisement.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Mange Mite posted:

that probably makes sense since one of the studios behind it was channel 7 in australia. and they also aired it at 8.30pm. like the pebble in skull scene was shown literally at 9pm on free to air tv lmao

and thats probably why it had a shorter run time, due to channel 7 and their need for ad breaks

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Two BoB Bits that I never noticed before.

Speirs taking several obvious moments to decide to not just walk off with Picante's lighter when Picante asked for it back, in ep 9.

Winters' Mormonism substituting "crapheads" for "shitheads" when imagining a certain high-strung sergeant taking over Dyke's command, in ep 7.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Copper Vein posted:

Speirs taking several obvious moments to decide to not just walk off with Picante's lighter when Picante asked for it back, in ep 9

Yeah I just watched that episode. Speirs owns gently caress all zee haters.

Man I loving forgot all about the part where they find the concentration camp. I hadn't watched this since it originally aired.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I also really liked the slightly maligned and twisted characters in the Pacific, and leckies storyline was good too. I definitely need to rewatch it. BoB is obviously in a league of its own, but as said above the Pacific is great in its own right for its own reasons.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Off topic but you guys should google the Battle of Brisbane and the Battle of Manners Street.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Copper Vein posted:

Two BoB Bits that I never noticed before.

Speirs taking several obvious moments to decide to not just walk off with Picante's lighter when Picante asked for it back, in ep 9.

Winters' Mormonism substituting "crapheads" for "shitheads" when imagining a certain high-strung sergeant taking over Dyke's command, in ep 7.

:eng101: Winters' Mennonite-ism

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I met Don Malarkey IRL, he was in my fraternity and gave a speech at this big leadership conference that my chapter flew me out to. I got to spend a week in the dorms at Washington and Lee and see VMI and took a pee in the ATO water fountain cause they are our rivals.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
BoB is great.

I saw (from behind the police tape and barrier) Spielberg and T.Hanks on location while filming The Pacific in the city. They closed off one block of a busy street outside our main station to film the street scenes with the old cars and trucks driving up and down and when the guys jump on the tram. It was cool to see the station all dressed up like it was during the war with sandbags all over it.

Not my video but hey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saMsf0-VUc0

Generation Kill is good. Generation War is also drat good.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Is there any recent news about The Mighty Eighth?

I've seen most good war films and want more :(

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
The Pacific is pretty good if you skip the filler episodes like the Melbourne one and the one where the guy just sits on his rear end in a medical tent.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Fanatic posted:

The Pacific is pretty good if you skip the filler episodes like the Melbourne one and the one where the guy just sits on his rear end in a medical tent.

The melbourne one is good because you get to see some nice Aussie titties though

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
I saw Bob when I was like 17 and joined the army asap

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fanatic posted:

Nah, the medical episode is great because Leckie slowly starts going insane, and the french Canadian blows his brains out.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
No love for The Longest Day here? Shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

His Purple Majesty posted:

No love for The Longest Day here? Shameful.

it's corny poo poo, especially compared to BoB. Look at this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDLcKqV_WjA

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 4, 2016

• Locked thread