Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
70F is unacceptably warm for business casual imo but I live in the humid rear end northeast. maybe it's different in a arid climate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

my family in new mexico only has swamp coolers. i remember during the summer getting up at night and having to turn it off, you'd freeze otherwise

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
how is a swamp cooler different from an air conditioner

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I dunno, how is a swamp cooler different than a freezer

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

indigi posted:

as someone with experience using and building swamp coolers, that's truly a garbage method of consistent cooling.

good thing they aren't swamp coolers and instead are just standard phase change cooling systems with standard cooling towers and a giant ice water bath which they cool overnight to enable thermal storage to reduce peak demand the next day.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Triglav posted:

how is a swamp cooler different from an air conditioner

air conditioners use refrigerant, swamp coolers use water. swamp coolers don't work well in moderate to high humidity.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

kwinkles posted:

swamp cooler chat from the first page my whole building is cooled by a series of swamp coolers that run a network of chilled water pipes under downtown.

http://downtownaustinblog.org/2010/03/25/chilled-water/

so there's no external hvac stuff on the building, the chilling towers around the city keep it cool

only in texas would they come up with district cooling

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

atomicthumbs posted:

only in texas would they come up with district cooling

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Dolomite posted:

air conditioners use refrigerant, swamp coolers use water. swamp coolers don't work well in moderate to high humidity.

so do swamp coolers make everything wet?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
they appear to icnrease humidity

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

and that's how you get ants

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
really ppl itf don't understand evaporative cooling

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i only understand it because i did physics and chemistry, before this thread though id never heard of it being used for cooling

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Triglav posted:

so do swamp coolers make everything wet?

its not going to make a dent in single digit humidity, so no. the air coming out of the vent felt like sticking your face in a freezer right after opening the door.

they're pretty loud, like a window unit a/c. the only ones i've used are just like that, they hang on the outside wall and vent into a window. the squirrel cage fan will make a racket if it isn't balanced.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
ask yourself: why do you sweat when you're hot?

now what happens if you apply this principle to air

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it takes significantly more energy to heat water through a phase change than it does just a couple of degrees within a change

enthalpy of change or something? some kind of thermodynamics bullshit

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

For molecules of a liquid to evaporate, they must be located near the surface, they have to be moving in the proper direction, and have sufficient kinetic energy to overcome liquid-phase intermolecular forces. When only a small proportion of the molecules meet these criteria, the rate of evaporation is low. Since the kinetic energy of a molecule is proportional to its temperature, evaporation proceeds more quickly at higher temperatures. As the faster-moving molecules escape, the remaining molecules have lower average kinetic energy, and the temperature of the liquid decreases. This phenomenon is also called evaporative cooling. This is why evaporating sweat cools the human body. Evaporation also tends to proceed more quickly with higher flow rates between the gaseous and liquid phase and in liquids with higher vapor pressure. For example, laundry on a clothes line will dry (by evaporation) more rapidly on a windy day than on a still day. Three key parts to evaporation are heat, atmospheric pressure (determines the percent humidity) and air movement.

its good stuff.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

so swamp coolers are just what texans call evaporative air conditioners? ive never seen "swamp cooler" before v:kiddo:v

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sounds like it

ugh this reminds of the paper I did on dissolution: it's entirely possible I am the forums leading expert on dissolution and if I'm not I pity whomever is

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Swamp Cooters

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

inquiring minds want to know: what brand of piss lager is that woman carrying?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it looks like a jim beam premix thing to me

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

swamp coolers are pretty energy efficient compared to normal a/c, so if you can use one you should. their biggest downside is needing to be somewhere where you have consistently dry heat. oh, and if they're badly made and not kept clean they end up producing a smell like a swamp, hence the swamp cooler name.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

no they will not posted:

Fun idea I just came up with: use airbnb to rent out a bunch of rooms in your house to people and then murder them

ayyy lmao

http://www.laweekly.com/news/a-hotheaded-landlord-made-a-movie-about-murdering-his-tenants-then-he-knifed-one-6149402

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lol "I, a short baldman in my 40s, will win five Oscars. does any dare to dispute this plain fact?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

echinopsis posted:

it looks like a jim beam premix thing to me

the rare lucky mirrored jim beam white label & cola can

• Locked thread