Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

That's not empiricism, that's just more poorly done critical theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

extra stout posted:

this is mostly true in my book but what alternative do you think we should look to

drugs and surgery

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013

extra stout posted:

this is mostly true in my book but what alternative do you think we should look to

Idk try shooting the poo poo with your mates or just talking to someone? O wait this is America and you suffer from a collective perpetual neurosis about imagined homoeroticism. You know there's literally nothing more gay than being obsessed with what's gay?

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser
neurosis is a fake word for idiots who've never seen the chaos of a billowing cloud as analogous to the winner take all dogpile of neuronal stochasticity

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Moon Atari posted:

That's not empiricism, that's just more poorly done critical theory.

What is the empiricist alternative to PUA then? Nothing, I bet.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
op believes in god lol

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Maoist Pussy posted:

drugs and surgery

at least this one is fun

lite frisk posted:

Idk try shooting the poo poo with your mates or just talking to someone? O wait this is America and you suffer from a collective perpetual neurosis about imagined homoeroticism. You know there's literally nothing more gay than being obsessed with what's gay?

this one is laughable, hey you family members and friends of mine could we talk about the hit show Seinfeld until my perspective of the universe is one that i can function within?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
there sure are a lot of bitches in this thread afraid of using their innate human reasoning to ascertain the nature of the world around them rather than the scientific method

the greeks used reason to determine the existence of atoms over 2000 years before scientists stopped boiling piss in jugs for a living

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013

extra stout posted:

this one is laughable, hey you family members and friends of mine could we talk about the hit show Seinfeld until my perspective of the universe is one that i can function within?

idk what to tell you, im sorry your friends and family are emotionally and emphatically stunted shadows of a human being :shrug:?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

zizek is like a marxist santa claus. you should grow out of him but i pity anyone who never believed in him or cant appreciate his unique magic

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

extra stout posted:

oh i don't know how about manning the gently caress up and putting up with your fee-fees like everyone else?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think a system that ultimately uses logical parsing to describe human behavior is doomed to fail. Biological life is a causal series of imaginary numbers that is rooted in accumulation and decay. You reach an entropic limit at the membrane that life manifests through. At its very best psychology could describe life up to a few moments before conception, everything after is an unparsable unit of free will that will either decay or be consumed, completely unique and manifesting a completely new and personal reality.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Horniest Manticore posted:

oh i don't know how about manning the gently caress up and putting up with your fee-fees like everyone else?

Everytime a sadbrains commits suicide a goon gets his get-out-of-hell-free card. Its a substitution thing.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Maoist Pussy posted:

There is much debate about the extent to which Wittgenstein and his siblings, who were of 3/4 Jewish descent, saw themselves as Jews. The issue has arisen in particular regarding Wittgenstein's schooldays, because Adolf Hitler was at the same school for part of the same time.[65] Laurence Goldstein argues it is "overwhelmingly probable" the boys met each other: that Hitler would have disliked Wittgenstein, a "stammering, precocious, precious, aristocratic upstart ..."[66] Other commentators have dismissed as irresponsible and uninformed any suggestion that Wittgenstein's wealth and unusual personality may have fed Hitler's antisemitism, in part because there is no indication that Hitler would have seen Wittgenstein as Jewish.[67]

:shittypop:

Lol it's like fanfiction but about real people

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Zizek rulers, liberal humanists drool

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Can't fliz flek the Zizek.

Netflix kept recommending me this movie and I've never watched it like 99% of their lovely documentaries and Netflix Originals.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

You don't even have to be a scientist to see it. I studied history and more or less any time these science-by-way-of-philosophy types talk about the past it's the most absurdly narrow, cherry-picked view imaginable.

The Saurus posted:

there sure are a lot of bitches in this thread afraid of using their innate human reasoning to ascertain the nature of the world around them rather than the scientific method

the greeks used reason to determine the existence of atoms over 2000 years before scientists stopped boiling piss in jugs for a living

'The Greeks' over several centuries suggested everything at one point or other. We remember atoms because that's pretty much the only time they were vaguely right about things outside what they could observe. Atoms were one theory in a billion and nobody paid them any special attention. Mathematics and astronomy and so on? Great. Physics where they only had their intuition to go on? Wrong wrong wrong. Natural philosophy bad, intuition bad.

In modern times it's literally a case of 'I wish I had answers to all these fascinating questions, but I have none of the training to really grapple with them. But that's not fair I still want to contribute surely it's just as good if I feel something makes sense as long as I'm really smart, honest?'

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
hey empirical observation of the evidence owns but innate human reasoning owns too

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

it's like two great minds battling it out, and i've got a front row seat.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Hell Yeah posted:

it's like two great minds battling it out, and i've got a front row seat.

you'll pay for the whole seat, but you'll only use the edge

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

Strategic Tea posted:

'The Greeks' over several centuries suggested everything at one point or other. We remember atoms because that's pretty much the only time they were vaguely right about things outside what they could observe. Atoms were one theory in a billion and nobody paid them any special attention. Mathematics and astronomy and so on? Great. Physics where they only had their intuition to go on? Wrong wrong wrong. Natural philosophy bad, intuition bad.

a lot of people forget this & it's how we get people obsessed with "getting back to old ways" and believing that the ancient egyptians really did have magic ways of stacking rocks into pyramids, instead of using raw manpower. i never hear anyone suggesting something similar about the great wall of china.

anyway zizek et al seem pretty obsessed with themselves, i have a lot of trouble understanding them and when i sit down and diagram out their sentences i find these people saying things that could be said with shorter words, easier to understand, but aren't, because ~*reasons*~

my guess is they believe their vocabulary is what sets them, the professional Philosophers, aside from the average youtube blogger. doesn't make it any more useful tho.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

froward posted:

anyway zizek et al seem pretty obsessed with themselves, i have a lot of trouble understanding them and when i sit down and diagram out their sentences i find these people saying things that could be said with shorter words, easier to understand, but aren't, because ~*reasons*~

my guess is they believe their vocabulary is what sets them, the professional Philosophers, aside from the average youtube blogger. doesn't make it any more useful tho.

it's intellectual hazing. if you can decipher the bullshit you can be part of the club, so that you can write inscrutable horseshit for others to try to decipher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Modern psych researchers are tripping over themselves to declare some groundbreaking new findings that have already been explored in far greater depths by much smarter thinkers over a century ago.

New science reveals that people are biased. Even when they think they are thinking objectively, the observations and data they see in the world are actually predicted by their unconscious beliefs. Also, ones social position and roles has a greater predictive ability in ones beliefs or actions than does rationality or logic. No poo poo Sherlock maybe read Marx?

It seems that people believe they know why they do things, but cutting edge research shows that the brain makes decisions about things before the person is even consciously aware of it. It's as if they are subconsciously making decisions and retroactively rationalizing it to themselves. No poo poo read Freud.

Earth shattering findings show that your experience of reality is actually not truly reality, but constructed in part by your mind. Huuuurrrr phenemonology.

Psychologists are puzzled at the strange findings regarding psychosis and language. Could it be that language development is somehow tied to mental illness?? Also. Who is this guy named Lacan everyone talks about i sure love to Lacan some veejay hahaha sorry for the misogyny gals, I can't help it, it's my genes according to evolutionary psychology lmao

The scientists exploring these questions through rigorous methodologies aren't ignorant of the ideas put forward by 19th century thinkers - in many cases, their research is inspired by them - but those thinkers did not explore these in "far greater depths". They understood the directionality of the underlying principles, but because they didn't actually test them they couldn't go deeper than that.

For example, consider the point you refer to Freud about making decisions about things before conscious awareness. Cognitive psychology is interested in not just knowing that tends to happen, but in understanding to what extent and in what contexts this happens. The eventual goal is to create actual scientific laws describing them, rather than an abstract qualitative and unverified description. Priming, the Stroop effect, Fitt's law, behavioural economics around utility - it's not enough to say the world is an illusion and people's perceptions are flawed when we can create the tools to measure in what ways they are flawed.

No psychology researcher is putting out a paper saying "your reality is actually not truly reality" and acting like that's a revelation. They are putting out papers saying people's time to recall the word giraffe is 25% faster, when primed with an image of a giraffe displayed for 0.05 seconds below the threshold of conscious detection before the task. Deriving consistent laws and models with actual predictive power is much more useful. Also, designing experiments to test phenomena which are difficult to observe directly is something that takes a lot of creativity and talent, so it's important not to confuse the dry mechanisation of process with the brilliance often required to innovate that process.

If I'm interested in how people's unconscious processes influence their decisions, I think there's a lot more to learn from Kahneman than Marx on the topic. Not that Marx's analysis was incorrect, or to downplay the intellectual quality of the ideas, but modern methodologies and approaches have taken it considerably further along.

• Locked thread