Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

So you're angry because the trans stays in manual model if you shift it to manual mode until you shift it out of manual mode? Not shifting at the redline is what people actually want in a tiptronic transmission.
Also, holding the "up" paddle for a couple seconds kicks it out of manual mode.

Source: I basically professionally abuse rental cars.

Edit: I mean, the 200 is unadulterated poo poo, but that particular topic isn't an issue.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If you expect an automatic with a torque converter in a regular car to be sporty and responsive it is your own fault.

I've driven a Subaru cvt around and it actually seems fine. I'm not trying to take it around a race track though.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
2015 mercedes benz c63s amg.

Fast as gently caress but steering worse than my 850 and honestly way less fun to drive than my dad's a45

This was on a racetrack so it might work really well on the road.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I drove a FiST last night and was really disappointed. I think the internet hyped it too hard for me. I hated how light the clutch was and I kept missing 2nd trying to downshift. the steering felt sort of dead and under hard acceleration the car danced around like a typical FWD car does, the steering getting too light feeling under WOT.

The test drive was unfortunately in heavy traffic and maybe given the right circumstances I would have liked it a lot more, but I was seriously considering buying one and now I am looking at other cars.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

MrChips posted:

All of the F30 BMWs I've driven have been massive disappointments. Compared to the E46 and the E90, they feel too big, the interiors aren't all that nice, they don't handle all that well, the steering feel is crap and their engines, while turning out impressive performance, are uninspiring. And I hate how the coupe is now the 4-Series.

Basically they've become the BMW Camry.

This is me at the beginning of this year when I was figuring out what to do to replace my totaled E46. Went into the BMW dealership thinking "I am a grown up who can buy a new or nearly new car without it being complete financial suicide" and left thinking "I was about to waste a lot of money." I just ended up in another E46 because I was so disappointed. :(

I guess I should be thankful I don't feel compelled to spend anywhere near my maximum budget on a car, but at the same time I'm going to be pissed if my brain is too broken to ever enjoy a car made past 2006.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

PaintVagrant posted:

I drove a FiST last night and was really disappointed. I think the internet hyped it too hard for me. I hated how light the clutch was and I kept missing 2nd trying to downshift. the steering felt sort of dead and under hard acceleration the car danced around like a typical FWD car does, the steering getting too light feeling under WOT.

The test drive was unfortunately in heavy traffic and maybe given the right circumstances I would have liked it a lot more, but I was seriously considering buying one and now I am looking at other cars.

To be fair, it's a shitbox Fiesta with a tuned motor and suspension, and sold as such.

I haven't driven one but I've sat in one and the Recaros are not comfortable at all, along with it being so drat small inside even compared to a Focus.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Honestly the biggest let down was the clutch and trans feel. Felt really weird. I drove a BRZ the same day and I am still daydreaming about it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The FiST is in a weird place.

For what they cost in Canada, an FR-S is a small step up in price for a much more unique car that realistically doesn't lose much useful capacity, the Mazda3 with the 2.5 costs a tad more and is so very much nicer in every way, etc. poo poo, despite not having a hatch a current-generation Civic Si sedan is nicer and frankly better in most measures that matter.

I personally see it as poor value when you can get an Ecoboost Fiesta to hoon around in for many thousands of dollars less, or a nicer car for the same general price.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

PaintVagrant posted:

Honestly the biggest let down was the clutch and trans feel.

I legitimately don't like the feel of anything other than a cable clutch :colbert:

Meathole
Jul 25, 2007
Boy's have penises and girls have vaginas

PhoenixWing posted:

I think the most disappointing car I've ever driven was my boss' '14/15 (Not sure which) Kia Optima. I had borrowed it to drive down to San Fran for work, and, figured it'd be a comfy sedan thats also decently quick. (its the turbo model with just under 300HP - I daily drive anything from 40-165 HP normally). It had to be the absolute slowest most schizophrenic thing at accelerating ever. It had some silly "eco" mode thing which meant limit the maximum throttle to 20%, unless you bury the pedal, in which case engage 1st gear and spin wheels. It'd shift so early that youd be rolling around on city streets in what had to be the highest gear, and it'd refuse to choose a sensible gear until you hit 90% of the pedal travel. Who the gently caress thought neutering the throttle for ~fuel saving~ was the thing to do? Couldn't they accomplish the same thing by just toning down the ECU mappings?

Now, everything I own is carbed and manual everything so maybe thats it, but, never have I felt so far removed from the driving experience. Everything from the steering, to the throttle and brakes felt like a suggestion to the car. The steering felt like there was no physical connection to the wheels, the brakes had this weird exponential power application, and the throttle had no mode beyond crawl and sprint (I'm sure the non-eco mode would be more pleasant). Also, who are the bastards who keep replacing buttons for touch screens? Its one button on my car that says "Up" to change stations or 4 screens on the Kia. I don't have time for that poo poo at lights.

It was also eerily quiet :ohdear: I now fully understand why people feel so comfortable taking their eyes off the road in cars like this. I had figured a modern much more powerful car would be such a nicer experience, but, couldn't stand not feeling like I was in control of it.

On the plus side it had butt warmers. That was nice.

I bought a 2013 Optima SXL(top of the line) 3 years ago for work and have put 95,000 miles on it in that time. At first it was somewhat daunting trying to figure out how to use the NAV screen and all the buttons on the steering wheel and dash. After a little bit of time, it was all second nature, I can press any button with a glance, and I wouldn't give it up for anything. The ECO mode is garbage. If you turn that off, it has the best engine/transmission combination I have ever driven. The engine is very responsive to your right foot, and the transmission always seems to shift at the right time. It's a thousand times better than the A6 in my 2011 mustang GT. The brakes and steering are certainly fine. If you're going to drive it like crazy then yeah, there will be some shortcomings, but that is not the intended purpose of a car like this. Also, I think the car being quiet inside is a great thing, definitely makes driving lots of miles less fatiguing.

I traded in my 2004 Mercedes E55 AMG when I purchased the Optima, and immediately I knew I had a far better car in almost every way. Technology and engineering have changed a lot in 9 years(2004 to 2013), and the Korean's have done a great job of building what I think is a great car for its intended purpose and price point. The Mercedes had huge brakes, tons of power, and quite a bit of luxury for 2004, but I have never once regretted switching to the Optima. My dad purchased a 2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T at the same time and has the same praises for it.

To contribute, I think my biggest disappointment came when I was 16 and bought a 1985 Firebird with the 305 and a 5-speed. I thought it would be the king poo poo just because you could dump the clutch and spin the right rear tire. However, the day I got smoked by and old man in a Northstar(revolutionary at the time) Cadillac I realized that the 1980's sucked for cars, and the Firebird was pretty much the epitome of that.

Around that same time my brother bought a 1970 Chevelle and we dropped a 468 with a big cam, headers, 4-barrel, TH-350, and all that poo poo into it. It loped like crazy, sounded great, drove nice, and got 6 miles per gallon. However, I think the best it ever ran at the track was in the low 13's, dead hooking. It was quick enough, but I just expected so much more out of it. Really fun to cruise around in, but that was about it. It was tuned pretty well(timing and air/fuel), and if we had put way bigger exhaust on it and threw in a good convertor with tires I'm sure it would have run a good second quicker.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Nice to hear the consensus about KIA's Eco mode ("it's garbage"). I'll keep that in mind the next time I happen to get another one as a rental.

Speaking of rentals, I forgot all about the 2015 Sportage and how it gave me 100 miles worth of whiplash because it couldn't cope with the various expansion joints littering I-16. IMHO the Korean carmakers have come a long way, but there are still a few places here and there where they need to polish up their poo poo.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Nice to hear the consensus about KIA's Eco mode ("it's garbage"). I'll keep that in mind the next time I happen to get another one as a rental.

Speaking of rentals, I forgot all about the 2015 Sportage and how it gave me 100 miles worth of whiplash because it couldn't cope with the various expansion joints littering I-16. IMHO the Korean carmakers have come a long way, but there are still a few places here and there where they need to polish up their poo poo.

My wifes Sonata has that same poo poo, I just kill it too. It must be the sportage, because her car rides pretty good down the road. They have come a long loving way, but I really wish this car had more sound deadening. Once we get it paid off/warranty expires, I am going to stuff some dynamat or something like that in the doors to help out. Thats the only other drawback I find to them too is the doors feel light, but yet again I am used to driving heavy pigs (rovers/BMW 5'ers). I do like that vault like sound when you close the doors on those cars, and this car lacks that.

Other than that, it feels very Honda/Toyota in terms of quality.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
On the FiST, I was unimpressed on the lot. But a friend let me autocross his, and it felt like a modern CRX Si to me. And to my point of view that's high praise. It's not a power car, but for something that is really darty, and tossable it was really nice. I don't think there's anything new in the price range that I would rather have.

Most disappointing, C6 Z51 after having driven a C6 Z06. I was expecting it to be a step down. But it felt way worse just from the steering and handling point of view.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

"Eco" mode is probably just "EPA test" mode; it's probably not calibrated for real life at all.

While I suspect that it is definitely an EPA mode, I actually prefer the eco mode in my CR-V. With eco mode disabled, the DBW throttle tip-in is a pain in the rear end to manage. It's laggier than I'd like in eco mode, but much easier to drive smoothly.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Driving my parents civic with eco mode on is frustrating. It lags so much that it's really annoying to get smooth shifts with it on. Turn it off and no problems.

They haven't noticed a difference in mileage with it on or off.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

My contribution is the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel Overland.

My Dad traded in his 2001 4.7HO GC overland for...this? The old jeep had nice soft touch surfaces, plush rear end leather seats, nice sounding (gutless) engine and was super nice to drive. I felt like a loving baller in that jeep. The 2007 was such a festering pile of poo poo. You could tell that Mercedes had gutted chrysler by looking in the interior of any of their cars at the time. All right angles, all hard plastic. It was such a huge step back from the previous generation of grand cherokee.The worst part was that loving diesel engine. It pulls great to 65mph. Want to overtake? gently caress. YOU. That engine completely ruined an already ruined jeep.

Adding to that, my dad's 2014 X5 xdrive35 Diesel. Again, why the gently caress do people buy diesels? That thing was the worst for having no power up high to pass anyone. Also that DEF/SCR system on there was such a goddamn joke. Out of DEF fluid? engine will turn off in 200 miles *AND WILL NOT RESTART* until it's been refilled, and not with any off the shelf DEF fluid, nope. BMW only. My Dad tried to be smart and fill it with cheap poo poo(over the road truckers use it!). It crystallized in the tank and plugged the injector. That was a $3000 mistake and it got him banned from two shops. So much for the ultimate driving machine :smug:

The corolla verso diesel d4d we rented in germany was awesome, so I guess all diesels aren't huge pieces of poo poo.

E: the BRZ was so disappointing because I really wanted to like that car. I drove to the dealership in an NC1 Miata and noted: the brakes are weaker, the clutch is a toy, the shifting is by tyco, the steering is too light, in which galaxy is this engine making 200hp? I could see living with it as a daily driver and generally wafting back and forth to work, but anything sporting seems to be about 50-100hp away for this car. Driving position was fantastic though.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 14, 2015

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Bajaha posted:

Driving my parents civic with eco mode on is frustrating. It lags so much that it's really annoying to get smooth shifts with it on. Turn it off and no problems.

They haven't noticed a difference in mileage with it on or off.

vs.

IOwnCalculus posted:

While I suspect that it is definitely an EPA mode, I actually prefer the eco mode in my CR-V. With eco mode disabled, the DBW throttle tip-in is a pain in the rear end to manage. It's laggier than I'd like in eco mode, but much easier to drive smoothly.

Automotive Insanity, ladies and gentlemen.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Automotive Insanity: Strong Opinions on CUVs and Eco-mode

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

BloodBag posted:

E: the BRZ was so disappointing because I really wanted to like that car. I drove to the dealership in an NC1 Miata and noted: the brakes are weaker, the clutch is a toy, the shifting is by tyco, the steering is too light, in which galaxy is this engine making 200hp? I could see living with it as a daily driver and generally wafting back and forth to work, but anything sporting seems to be about 50-100hp away for this car. Driving position was fantastic though.

Have you seen the toyobaru thread title? We got the car we wanted and we are ANGRY about it.

The car really does need an extra 50 HP to make it fun, or better gearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Honestly the biggest let down was the clutch and trans feel. Felt really weird. I drove a BRZ the same day and I am still daydreaming about it.

Try the veloster r-spec. It is a bit bigger than the fiesta but doesn't have the push button clutch the fiesta and focus st have.

• Locked thread