Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Volkerball posted:

if he turns out to be a reliable #1 corner he will be. you never know how that poo poo pans out. corners are weird.

I feel like corners have to match up against the current generation of WR's physically and there's a lot of data that supports that. Stands to reason as a receiver who can run a 6.9 cone drill should be matched up against a corner who should also be able to run a 6.9 cone.

But the real difference is that 'it' factor that permeates football and makes physical aptitude comparisons meaningless. Corners need to have that knack of when to turn their head, how to place their hands, and how to time poo poo to make them reliable #1s. Revis had that knack to support his really good combine numbers. His vert was only average but he consistently won jump balls against guys like Calvin Johnson with insane poo poo like this:

I don't really think Apple has that from what I've seen so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I don't think that play was the result of the IT factor, I feel like Revis was able to make the play because he was more now.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
btw me and febreeze did a draft podcast for those who dont follow the farthouse thread

https://soundcloud.com/david-rappoccio-950910196/intentional-sounding-4-talking-draft

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Doltos posted:

btw me and febreeze did a draft podcast for those who dont follow the farthouse thread

https://soundcloud.com/david-rappoccio-950910196/intentional-sounding-4-talking-draft

“How's it going guys, you might know me as Doltos from the Something Awful forums”

Now THAT'S a sign-on!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Doltos posted:

I feel like corners have to match up against the current generation of WR's physically and there's a lot of data that supports that. Stands to reason as a receiver who can run a 6.9 cone drill should be matched up against a corner who should also be able to run a 6.9 cone.

But the real difference is that 'it' factor that permeates football and makes physical aptitude comparisons meaningless. Corners need to have that knack of when to turn their head, how to place their hands, and how to time poo poo to make them reliable #1s. Revis had that knack to support his really good combine numbers. His vert was only average but he consistently won jump balls against guys like Calvin Johnson with insane poo poo like this:

I don't really think Apple has that from what I've seen so far.

Johnson makes a slight lean to the outside on the last step because the ball is thrown a little past and to his outside. Because he's leaning over, Revis has the same total vertical reach and can get his hand up on the ball. Basically that one is either on the QB for sliiiightly overthrowing his receiver, or else Calvin Johnson ran his route just a hair too much to the inside.

Not to knock Revis, mind you, it's still a very good play, he gets exactly what he needs to tip the ball without a hint of PI. Which takes me to my actual point: a good corner in today's NFL isn't just someone who can match a receiver's reach. Corners have to somehow get up into the ball without committing PI. Good WRs know how to draw PI calls, and excellent corners know how to arrive up in the WR's grill exactly at the moment they need to and not a second before. Even the best corner is going to get beat sometimes, that's a given, but if he can beat the WR consistently, he's going to deter passes whenever he's even close to his man and that's game-changing. And if he can avoid those horrible PI calls which are just crippling to defensive efforts, he's gold.

So basically I'm agreeing with you, but I think it's too early to tell if Apple will be able to pull this off with some training and experience or not. Pick out the top ten CBs in the league right now, and how many of them looked like top 10 corners on the day they were drafted?

I think he was definitely drafted too high and if he was gone at 20, there were other good CB picks that would have still been there and are just as promising as Apple. But :shrug: it's not the worst pick and maybe not the second or third worst pick. Rookie CBs are just always going to be a gamble.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Eli Apple at least has the body type for press zone.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Doltos posted:

And technically we had a market rival tank their team by taking Hackenberg so maybe it was an advanced tactical move.

I'm still just shaking my head because the more I talk poo poo about a prospect the higher chance they have to succeed by my wildest imaginations so maybe my voodoo will turn this rotten Apple into a respectable pickup.

Heh, oh yeah? I bet my old Granny Smith could play better than that guy!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Eli Apple at least has the body type for press zone.

:quagmire:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Eltoasto posted:

I don't think that play was the result of the IT factor, I feel like Revis was able to make the play because he was more now.

hahahah

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/729446028475285504
https://twitter.com/KDx32/status/729628676216791040

lol

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

First one isn't up anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Raku posted:

First one isn't up anymore!

It was pimping PFF's 2017 mock draft by saying that since the Dolphins didn't take an RB in the 2016 draft, they'd take Fournete next year.

Drake had obvious issues with the piece :v:

• Locked thread