Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

captainoblivious posted:

Did anyone see that movie about vampires in New Zealand, What We Do In The Shadows, it was pretty cool, what do you guys think?

I think you have a good take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

There aren't any atheists in the foxhole

Yeah but there have been more than a few in my bhole.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
I'm jonesing for an atheist holy war so goddamn bad right now

can't help myself picturing the followers of white christ and mohammedans strung up next to each other, makes me so loving hard

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
atheists and theists are the same because they both pray to nothing because their is no god lol

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I am Toni Lippi posted:

Yeah but there have been more than a few in my bhole.

Hey that's fine

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
faith exits only when observed

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
op is just another form if idiot

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Honestly the best argument for atheism is the fact that virtually all counter-arguments boil down to "no u!"

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer

TEAYCHES posted:

jesus is cool imo

I think when he chased the moneychangers out of the temple it was because they were financially taking advantage of other people, and they were doing so in a place of worship. So a more equivalent modern version of this scene could be Jesus kicking out the televangelists who own giant mansions and fly around in $10 million jets. Which is something most of us would also probably be happy to see.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

You didn't intentionally use "athiesm" in the subject line. Amateur mistake, voting 3.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

There aren't any atheists in the foxhole

clearly you've never seen a furry convention

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

green chicken feet posted:

I think when he chased the moneychangers out of the temple it was because they were financially taking advantage of other people, and they were doing so in a place of worship. So a more equivalent modern version of this scene could be Jesus kicking out the televangelists who own giant mansions and fly around in $10 million jets. Which is something most of us would also probably be happy to see.

In Ancient Israel all debts were supposed to be forgiven every fifty years. It was in this tradition that the moneychangers were driven out, to bring back the law to Roman occupied Judea.. It makes little sense to view this in some narrow focus, especially considering the content of the Sermon on the Mount. It's a radical tradition by any measure.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Whole Internet posted:

clearly you've never seen a furry convention

Nope, never.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
my favorite color is clear

why can't I find a nice wool overcoat in my favorite color?

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer

TEAYCHES posted:

In Ancient Israel all debts were supposed to be forgiven every fifty years. It was in this tradition that the moneychangers were driven out, to bring back the law to Roman occupied Judea.. It makes little sense to view this in some narrow focus, especially considering the content of the Sermon on the Mount. It's a radical tradition by any measure.

I think the whole debt forgiveness / anti-usury thing is pretty cool, and in that context the cartoon of Jesus kicking out the banks makes sense, too.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

Thuneral
Jul 25, 2004
High Listener For Music Awful

Hail Science. Lay thine hands upon our Holiest of Bibles, the IPCC2014. The prophets Al Gore and Barack Obama will lead us to the promised land where we will live in cool comfort for the last of our days.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Hello I am an Internet Atheist I get super erect when I see an elected official sworn in on the Constitution because I love it when people pander to my illiterate worship of science.

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

ScrubLeague posted:

Hello I am an Internet Atheist I get super erect when I see an elected official sworn in on the Constitution because I love it when people pander to my illiterate worship of science.

same

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Putty posted:

my vision is augmented

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I'm an atheist not an Atheist. There was probably a guy named Jesus who had a lot of groupies and there were plenty of historical events recorded in the bible but there's no reason to believe any of it is due to anything crazy like a sky wizard. What didn't happen in reality is likely just really good writing which is why the book has so much staying power.

It's just a curated collection of short stories with some characters that crossover. Really it is the historical equivalent of Wildcards as edited by George RR Martin.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

AugmentedVision posted:

Atheists have FAITH in the absence of God, how are people too dumb to realize this?

so what, you can't prove god doesn't not exist

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
Check this out : Religion isn't even real. people don't believe in what they say they believe in. It's all geopolitical forces causing good people who will do good and bad people who do bad to ascribe their actions to the mythology of the region they were born in. Hi, I'm inexplicably popular retard Reza Aslan.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

tetsuo posted:

Check this out : Religion isn't even real. people don't believe in what they say they believe in. It's all geopolitical forces causing good people who will do good and bad people who do bad to ascribe their actions to the mythology of the region they were born in. Hi, I'm inexplicably popular retard Reza Aslan.

You sound like a Zealot.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
Jesus was an underemployed dreg of society who kinda worked part time for his dad but then found out that carpentry is like hard and stuff and spent the rest of his time drinking and building up an ego and started vandalizing poo poo and loving with people's money and got executed for being the piece of poo poo criminal that he was

yall really couldnt have picked a tackyer piece of poo poo loser to worship i mean if yall are gonna have this little believy party at least pick a respectable mascot, and it cant be someone who ever wanted to be ur mascot because those ppl are always scummy and crazy because, and this is the damndest thing, ppl of sound mind and good repute NEVER go around telling ppl they're god

Leonard Ghostal
Apr 26, 2006

Totalizator posted:

The joke here is that the pizza toppings are sickness, famine, poverty and death.

Evidence of a just and loving God

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Ravane posted:

You sound like a Zealot.
if i'm any protoss unit it's a dragoon :haw:

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

whoflungpoop posted:

Jesus was an underemployed dreg of society who kinda worked part time for his dad but then found out that carpentry is like hard and stuff and spent the rest of his time drinking and building up an ego and started vandalizing poo poo and loving with people's money and got executed for being the piece of poo poo criminal that he was

yall really couldnt have picked a tackyer piece of poo poo loser to worship i mean if yall are gonna have this little believy party at least pick a respectable mascot, and it cant be someone who ever wanted to be ur mascot because those ppl are always scummy and crazy because, and this is the damndest thing, ppl of sound mind and good repute NEVER go around telling ppl they're god

so you're telling me it's ok to rape white women?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Emerson Cod posted:

I'm an atheist not an Atheist. There was probably a guy named Jesus who had a lot of groupies and there were plenty of historical events recorded in the bible but there's no reason to believe any of it is due to anything crazy like a sky wizard. What didn't happen in reality is likely just really good writing which is why the book has so much staying power.

It's just a curated collection of short stories with some characters that crossover. Really it is the historical equivalent of Wildcards as edited by George RR Martin.

Uh oh! A seriouspost. You're right but you're still displaying faith in a worldview. You believe that the instruments and reason of today can give you a realistic glimpse at today, tomorrow, and yesterday.

In that way you are still adhering to an ontology. And you can be sure, our methods for investigating reality are almost every bit as poo poo as those of the creators of the bible compared to what is concievable.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

TEAYCHES posted:

Weird because I just got that tattoo and I thought it meant I have AIDS.

Proton my electrohole

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

so you're telling me it's ok to rape white women?
why do u have to rape are u broke or somethiegn

neway i wont stand between ur and ur goals between ur subpar cardio and ED its a crowded room

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

whoflungpoop posted:

why do u have to rape are u broke or somethiegn

neway i wont stand between ur and ur goals between ur subpar cardio and ED its a crowded room

i don't *have* to rape it's just hard to come up with group activities

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches
Im an atheist. [ASK] me anything.

possible topic: my religion, or rather lack thereof

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
OHh an atheism honey pot thread! Awesome, let me try! *knocks over pot and engorges self on contents*

Jokes on you, I love pots.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

i don't *have* to rape it's just hard to come up with group activities

ok fine look, i have some friends let me introduce u

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

lmao

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

loving fedora human being cat! Die bitch, die!!

• Locked thread