Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
If you been living under a rock lately you may have not known that that famous wascally wabbit "El Chapo" who had escaped prison in Mexico last year was recaptured by Mexican Police Friday

"El Chapo" also known as Joaquin Guzman is the head of the Sinaloan Cartel a man who controls a massive amount of the flow of illegal drugs into the US. It is though that he controls about 70% of all drugs that enter the US from Mexico.

Guzman has surpassed Pablo Escobar to become the richest Drug Lord in history; his net worth rounds the 1 Billion dollars and it is though that he moves roughly 300 million dollars worth of drugs through the border every year.

Naturally, he's adored by other members of the 1%.

lovely Sean Penn posted:

In January 2012, the Mexican film and television star Kate del Castillo, who famously played a drug lordess in Mexico's popular soap opera La Reina del Sur, used Twitter to express her mistrust of the Mexican government. She stated that in a question of trust between governments and cartels, hers would go to El Chapo. And in that tweet, she expressed a dream, perhaps an encouragement to El Chapo himself: "Mr. Chapo, wouldn't it be cool that you started trafficking with love? With cures for diseases, with food for the homeless children, with alcohol for the retirement homes that don't let the elderly spend the rest of the days doing whatever the gently caress they want. Imagine trafficking with corrupt politicians instead of women and children who end up as slaves. Why don't you burn all those whorehouses where women are worth less than a pack of cigarettes. Without offer, there's no demand. Come on, Don! You would be the hero of heroes. Let's traffic with love. You know how to. Life is a business and the only thing that changes is the merchandise. Don't you agree?"

Oh love can bloom; even on a battlefield~ Clearly the one person who is most responsible for the Mexican government being as corrupt as it is is infinitely more trustworthy than the government itself...

Sean Penn secretly met with Guzman; who wanted to bankroll a bioepic about how he was actually a hero instead of a mass murderer. Imagine the joy of having these two great thinkers combine! As Sean puts it:

Sean "It really makes you think" Penn posted:

As an American citizen, I'm drawn to explore what may be inconsistent with the portrayals our government and media brand upon their declared enemies. Not since Osama bin Laden has the pursuit of a fugitive so occupied the public imagination. But unlike bin Laden, who had posed the ludicrous premise that a country's entire population is defined by – and therefore complicit in – its leadership's policies, with the world's most wanted drug lord, are we, the American public, not indeed complicit in what we demonize? We are the consumers, and as such, we are complicit in every murder, and in every corruption of an institution's ability to protect the quality of life for citizens of Mexico and the United States that comes as a result of our insatiable appetite for illicit narcotics.

Yes Sean clearly has an amazing comprehension and understanding of what's going on. He's truly perceptive, just like he was very perceptive about Hugo Chavez's Venezuela not being a horrid clientele driven shithole!

Sean, as always, is an excellent writer and shows of his journalist chops:

FART FART SEAN PENN posted:

Chapo puts his arm over my shoulder and renews his request that I see him in eight days. "I'll be saying goodbye now," he says. At this moment, I expel a minor traveler's flatulence (sorry), and with it, I experience the same chivalry he'd offered when putting Kate to bed, as he pretends not to notice. We escape its subtle brume, and I join my colleagues inside the bungalow.

This - and the fact that he wasn't even able to properly interview Guzman - demonstrates how in control he is.

Sean Penn is great - his interview with Guzman not only managed to get him caught but revealed Guzman to the world as the Hero he really is! Clearly as we know from years of dealing with big tobacco: it's not the poisonpeddler at fault - it's the people who use the poison!

It's easy to summarize the entirety of this "interview" between rich privileged 1%ers and rich privileged 1%ers: Don't Go full Retard.

Oh gently caress I'm an ableist scumbag.

CalmDownMate fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
He's gonna get beheaded once the Mexican government leaks the fact that he gave away El Chapo's location.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

El Chapowns.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
they should have sent Martin Bashir

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
This telenovela poo poo is a good distraction from Mexico's horrendous human rights record and the assassinations of politicians and journalists which the government refuses to do anything about.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

Borneo Jimmy posted:

This telenovela poo poo is a good distraction from Mexico's horrendous human rights record and the assassinations of politicians and journalists which the government refuses to do anything about.

You mean which the government can't actually do anything about.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

CalmDownMate posted:

You mean which the government can't actually do anything about.

Because they are controlled by the drug cartels, for example El Chapo actually financed Peña Nieto's presidential campaign

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

CalmDownMate posted:

"El Chapo" also known as Joaquin Guzman is the head of the Sinaloan Cartel a man who controls a massive amount of the flow of illegal drugs into the US. It is though that he controls about 70% of all drugs that enter the US from Mexico...

Sean Penn secretly met with Guzman; who wanted to bankroll a bioepic about how he was actually a hero instead of a mass murderer. Imagine the joy of having these two great thinkers combine! As Sean puts it:

I mean, sometimes you have to go where your dealer is; it's not always reasonable to expect that he always come to you.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Because they are controlled by the drug cartels, for example El Chapo actually financed Peña Nieto's presidential campaign

No because they are bought by the drug cartels and the drug cartels generate way more money than the government does.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bip Roberts posted:

He's gonna get beheaded once the Mexican government leaks the fact that he gave away El Chapo's location.
They already did.

The one major downside here is that they just arrested him instead of calling in the 'ol Obama Special on the interview.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The one major downside here is that they just arrested him instead of calling in the 'ol Obama Special on the interview.

Yes, there is no way that could end badly.

Tony_Montana
Apr 1, 2010

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Hello Sean! :wave:

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
As a mexican, I just think that these 2 people (Sean and Kate) are so out of the reality we all live everyday, that they thought it would be cool and adventurous to interview the most wanted man on earth. El Chapo says in the interview that he only uses violence when trying to defend himself, which must me 99% of the time when taking turf from another cartel to defend his business or from defending his from being taken over.

In the end, El Chapo was way over his head (as most people like him finally are) and tried to finance a biopic using hollywood, which was finally his undoing.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've been to Iraq, y'know!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bip Roberts posted:

Sean Penn loses his head at the Oscars.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Wheeee posted:

Yes, there is no way that could end badly.
How could hitting the world's largest drug dealer and Sean Penn with the same missile possibly end badly?

Should have done it and submitted the fuckin' drone-cam footage to the Academy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CalmDownMate posted:

If you been living under a rock lately you may have not known that that famous wascally wabbit "El Chapo" who had escaped prison in Mexico last year was recaptured by Mexican Police Friday

"El Chapo" also known as Joaquin Guzman is the head of the Sinaloan Cartel a man who controls a massive amount of the flow of illegal drugs into the US. It is though that he controls about 70% of all drugs that enter the US from Mexico.

Guzman has surpassed Pablo Escobar to become the richest Drug Lord in history; his net worth rounds the 1 Billion dollars and it is though that he moves roughly 300 million dollars worth of drugs through the border every year.

Naturally, he's adored by other members of the 1%.

Oh love can bloom; even on a battlefield~ Clearly the one person who is most responsible for the Mexican government being as corrupt as it is is [/i]infinitely[i] more trustworthy than the government itself...

Yes Sean clearly has an amazing comprehension and understanding of what's going on. He's truly perceptive, just like he was very perceptive about Hugo Chavez's Venezuela not being a horrid clientele driven shithole!

Sean, as always, is an excellent writer and shows of his journalist chops:

This - and the fact that he wasn't even able to properly interview Guzman - demonstrates how in control he is.

Sean Penn is great - his interview with Guzman not only managed to get him caught but revealed Guzman to the world as the Hero he really is! Clearly as we know from years of dealing with big tobacco: it's not the poisonpeddler at fault - it's the people who use the poison!

It's easy to summarize the entirety of this "interview" between rich privileged 1%ers and rich privileged 1%ers: Don't Go full Retard.

Oh gently caress I'm an ableist scumbag.

what a loving dipshit penn is. i hate these wannabee quasi "progressive" shits who defend awful people because amerKKKa and then they buy into a sociopaths mask. get hosed penn, i hope the narcos learn what rat gently caress you are.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

El Chingon posted:

As a mexican, I just think that these 2 people (Sean and Kate) are so out of the reality we all live everyday, that they thought it would be cool and adventurous to interview the most wanted man on earth. El Chapo says in the interview that he only uses violence when trying to defend himself, which must me 99% of the time when taking turf from another cartel to defend his business or from defending his from being taken over.

In the end, El Chapo was way over his head (as most people like him finally are) and tried to finance a biopic using hollywood, which was finally his undoing.

I have no doubt that El Chapo is bad dude but it is somehow wrong to interview anyone who's infamous? Ted Kaczynski, Timothy McVeigh, George Bush, etc

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

I have no doubt that El Chapo is bad dude but it is somehow wrong to interview anyone who's infamous? Ted Kaczynski, Timothy McVeigh, George Bush, etc

It's less the interview and more the baldfaced political statement by two guys who either find reality inconvenient or can't recognize it. The substance of the interview itself, as far as information or insight, is nearly non-existent. It's mostly just Sean Penn ruminating on his farts, both literally and figuratively.

I do get a kick out of Sean Penn "burning" cellphones every day, while all interested parties (Mexicans both in the service of and looking for El Chapo) know exactly where El Chapo is.

About the only thing this interview points out of any value is that there will be another El Chapo immediately after this one is removed. It makes no difference. You can either legalize or sit back and endure an eternity of this.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I'd love to see Sean Penn be decapitated with a machete as much as the next guy, but that would mean seeing him in the news for a while longer and good lord I can't stand that.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
Taken from the picture thread, the video of the raid by marines to the safe house:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy8v0CLeBxY

according to reports from mexican intelligence, there were actually 2 meetings between the actors and El Chapo. One on Sept 25, the second one on Oct 2nd. And by following his lawyer's movements they found about the meeting that would take place.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It's less the interview and more the baldfaced political statement by two guys who either find reality inconvenient or can't recognize it. The substance of the interview itself, as far as information or insight, is nearly non-existent. It's mostly just Sean Penn ruminating on his farts, both literally and figuratively.

I do get a kick out of Sean Penn "burning" cellphones every day, while all interested parties (Mexicans both in the service of and looking for El Chapo) know exactly where El Chapo is.

About the only thing this interview points out of any value is that there will be another El Chapo immediately after this one is removed. It makes no difference. You can either legalize or sit back and endure an eternity of this.

probably el mayo

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tab8715 posted:

It was the thing in the late 90's for guys to meet Islamist leaders up in the hills of Afghanistan where they gave little press conferences declaring jihad on the USA

They interviewed a guy you might have heard of - Ayman al-Zawahiri

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I wonder what appealed to rolling stone more, getting an el chapo interview or documenting sean penn's mental illness with his full cooperation

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

SedanChair posted:

I wonder what appealed to rolling stone more, getting an el chapo interview or documenting sean penn's mental illness with his full cooperation

It's the chance to be relevant again that was most appealing.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I still don't see the problem, Penn is a journalist. El Chapo is a story.

Exclaiming for his murder because of an interview is just extreme, poor journalism on the other hand...

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 12, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

Penn is a journalist.

No he isn't, he's an actor

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

SedanChair posted:

No he isn't, he's an actor

He's actor, activist and journalist.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
No, he's just an actor

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SedanChair posted:

No, he's just an actor

thats a strange way of saying shithead.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't he beat Madoona when they were married? Awful stuff.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
I think when someone's first reaction to "Sean Penn interviews El Chapo" as a headline is "what lovely parody site is this from?", that probably doesn't speak well to the core idea of the interview itself as a thing you're willing to publish and promote.

The idea that, for all the drama we get in the leadup to what was the worst AMA ever written, people would be convinced by anything El Chapo had to say, is fairly ludicrous. Sean Penn is an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Tab8715 posted:

El Cheapo is a wonderful but misunderstood human being. See, he doesn't go around murdering people just because he can, he only does it when it's convenient :qqsay:

• Locked thread