Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Commute?
I drive in traffic every morning and fantasize about murdering every other driver around me
My car commute is actually pretty nice.
I take public transit. gently caress MY LIFE.
I'm unemployed lol.
View Results

• Locked thread
tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Outrail posted:

How much time do you save? I mean once you factor parking your car and poo poo, it must be a few minutes or so? If you're working a physical job for 16 hours yeah whatever but if you're at a desk you'll probably sleep better having done a bit of exercise.

Disclaimer: I could have ridden my bike for a year but chose to drive and save an extra 10 minutes, so I'm the lazy poo poo too.

It was a physical job so there was that aspect / reason to not want more exercise. Also I am at least partially a lazy poo poo, I am a goon afterall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

Ork of Fiction posted:

There is a freeway that goes straight from my house to my work like a time warp. It's good.

I really only have to turn twice in a 15-minute drive going to work. The spur freeway turns into a road that leads straight to my work.
The only real problem we have in my town is people driving slow until you switch lanes to go by them, then they speed up like you're insulting them by daring to go around. Also the small town folk who think that 2 or more lanes going one way = interstate.
Still, our drivers are decent. Not like those loving Utah jerks.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Bobcats posted:

rearended by dummies who train to look for brake lights so they can play on their phone more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gryZTClA_Y

got one of these for xmas, its prob technically illegal but i dont care because i like my pain-free perfectly functioning spine

about 3 yrs ago i anticipated bad changes coming at work due to new mgmt and took a different position to hide out for a while that required a different schedule (for no real reason of course) which gave me an 1-1.5hr commute in stop and go traffic each way, and i was driving a WRX at the time with a somewhat heavy OEM clutch. I didn't even make it one year and ended up depressed and was eventually caned for reasons stemming from willingly making my own hours...I claimed my termination was related to ongoing depression and anxiety and was approved able to collect for the 6 months that followed until republicans let extended UI benefits expire (get cancer and die john bohner). i dont have a clue how semi truck drivers can physically/mentally do that poo poo their whole life without cracking.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 12, 2016

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ork of Fiction posted:

There is a freeway that goes straight from my house to my work like a time warp. It's good.

Sounds noisy, I'll take my park drive.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I commute to and from NYC, about 25 miles each way every goddamn day.

If I take the train, I have to take 3-4 trains. The commuter rail gets me in to NYC, then I take a shuttle subway, and then two other separate subway lines. Takes about an hour to an hour and a half. Pretty terrible but it's where I get all of my reading done.

If I take the car, it takes anywhere between 45-60 mins, but parking is pretty awful, and I usually have to get a spot where I have to show up 30 minutes early and wait in the car until the parking regulations are over, so it's really an hour and a half commute to work and an hour back home. I can't really drive in on Wednesdays because there are no street cleaning rules in effect that day, so that basically means no spots unless I get super lucky and see someone pull out of a spot. Otherwise it's $35 a day to buy a spot in a garage.

If I take my motorcycle, which I almost exclusively do when it's not pouring rain or really loving cold, it takes me 30-45 mins and I can park wherever the gently caress I want and it owns. I can get past all the traffic and skip to the front of lights. However no one sees me and cabs constantly try and run me off the road.

Overall, would not recommend living anywhere near NYC ever. It's either pay loving $3,500 a month for a lovely 1 bedroom apartment with no windows directly in the city, or pay a little less for a nice apartment outside the city, but deal with a horrible commute which is basically like working 11+ hour days so you have no free time.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
i walk to work, it takes me 10mins, owned.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Voltage posted:

If I take the train, I have to take 3-4 trains. The commuter rail gets me in to NYC, then I take a shuttle subway, and then two other separate subway lines. Takes about an hour to an hour and a half. Pretty terrible but it's where I get all of my reading done.

If I take the car, it takes anywhere between 45-60 mins, but parking is pretty awful, and I usually have to get a spot where I have to show up 30 minutes early and wait in the car until the parking regulations are over, so it's really an hour and a half commute to work and an hour back home. I can't really drive in on Wednesdays because there are no street cleaning rules in effect that day, so that basically means no spots unless I get super lucky and see someone pull out of a spot. Otherwise it's $35 a day to buy a spot in a garage.

If I take my motorcycle, which I almost exclusively do when it's not pouring rain or really loving cold, it takes me 30-45 mins and I can park wherever the gently caress I want and it owns. I can get past all the traffic and skip to the front of lights. However no one sees me and cabs constantly try and run me off the road.

Overall, would not recommend living anywhere near NYC ever. It's either pay loving $3,500 a month for a lovely 1 bedroom apartment with no windows directly in the city, or pay a little less for a nice apartment outside the city, but deal with a horrible commute which is basically like working 11+ hour days so you have no free time.

Badchoices.txt

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Darth123123 posted:

Badchoices.txt

Wow get a new job. Unless you get laid by hookers and do blow there.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
$3500 a month for a 1 brm? Any bonus cash you make by working in NYC the Big Apple you spend on housing. What the gently caress is the point? I spent a week in New York and was like lol, this is stupid.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

i have become a very aggressive driver and it scares me sometimes

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Outrail posted:

$3500 a month for a 1 brm? Any bonus cash you make by working in NYC the Big Apple you spend on housing. What the gently caress is the point? I spent a week in New York and was like lol, this is stupid.

That's really just for Manhattan and northwest Brooklyn (i.e. the neighborhoods closest to Manhattan). The rest of the city is relatively reasonable if you're not a wage slave.

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
I skate to work and home again.

But mostly I get an uber because I am drunk.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
anybody have any direct experience with commuting daily from Stamford to New Haven?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
That's a weirdly specific question. But unless google maps is a liar it seems like a not-terrible commute by car or train.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i drive on the freeway and it takes me 15 minutes to get to work. 20 if im hungover and slow. 13 if im still drunk.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I had a 5 minute commute but then I got greedy and took another job 26 miles away for $50k/yr more and now my commute is 1-3 hours each way depending on the weather.

I wish to die

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

I had a 5 minute commute but then I got greedy and took another job 26 miles away for $50k/yr more and now my commute is 1-3 hours each way depending on the weather.

I wish to die

Move to another house that's closer? Or rent a tiny poo poo room near to work and live there four nights a week like a bachelor(ette) slob.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
just switched jobs which should save me approx 5 minutes on my evening commute. negligible difference in the morning due to traffic patterns.

people that merge right into a lane where people are merging ONTO the freeway should be pulled from their cars and shot until dead.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I live in this perfect world where I spend 15 minuets on a lovely country road then 10 minuets on a 6 lane highway that never gets congested until the exit after my work. I don't really work a normal schedule or hours so I never really have to be in at a specific time either. It rules.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Voltage posted:

For my first apartment, I paid 800 per month (utilities included) for a room in a 2 bedroom apartment in washington heights near columbia university. It took me about 30 minutes to get to work on the train and it ruled.

Everyone that claims its impossible to get reasonable rent in NYC isn't looking in the right places or wants to live alone like a hermit rear end in a top hat.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

bossy lady posted:

Everyone that claims its impossible to get reasonable rent in NYC is afraid of brown people

probs more accurate

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

revmoo posted:

*Gets to end of onramp doing 15 under the limit, applies the brakes*

*Swerves car into another vehicle that flashed him for blocking the passing lane*

*Drifts into another motorist's lane, pulls off to fight when honked at*

*Has cruise control, refuses to use it in lieu of fluctuating speed by 25mph*

*Waits for another motorist to begin passing, guns the throttle*

*Approaches gentle curve in 75mph zone, slams on brakes*

*Spots exit, dives across five lanes after blocking the passing lane for 25 minutes*

*Swerves from lane to lane jockying for position like every other car. Hits an open stretch and cruises at 55*

*Drives from Dallas to San Antonio without leaving the passing lane once*

*Turns on high beams and fog lights while exiting car dealer parking lot*

I know this is an old post but literally none of these things, especially the "guns the throttle" bit matter on a mid-sized motorcycle. Someone in a rav4 decided to be a giant douche for a while and try to block me once (on a mostly empty out of town highway). I think he hit almost 100 before I finally decided to get away from him. It was p.cute.

Consider less wheels is what I'm saying to all you commutegoons

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
my favorite part of my usual commute is how the interstate exit for my neighborhood is also an entrance with only about 400 yards from entrance point to exit point. and is also immediately after the interstate reduces from four lanes to three.

more often than not i actually end up taking the prior exit and then hopping back "on" to the interstate (but not merging out of the entrance/exit lane at my actual exit) because it's faster than crawling behind the mile-plus-long line of cars backed up in the right lane

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Literal one-minute commute here. I'm stuck waiting to turn onto a road longer than I am on that road.

I'll be thinking of you, commuter goons, an hour into my shift when you've still not yet made it to work.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Thankfully I have a car but nowhere to go. My local bus is a looneybin on wheels, maybe I should gopro a ride at rush hour, but it wouldn't include the odors.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

Sighence posted:

Literal one-minute commute here. I'm stuck waiting to turn onto a road longer than I am on that road.

I'll be thinking of you, commuter goons, an hour into my shift when you've still not yet made it to work.

if it literally takes you a minute's drive, why not just walk to work?

is the goon stereotype true in your case and are you allergic to direct sunlight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

H.H posted:

if it literally takes you a minute's drive, why not just walk to work?

is the goon stereotype true in your case and are you allergic to direct sunlight?

I'm in Washington. What's this sun you're talking about and where can I get one? All we have is a cold perpetual shower.

• Locked thread