Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014

Applewhite posted:

All droids are the same sex so technically all droids are gay.

*:psylon: and :eyepoop: combined*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

FishionMailed posted:

well I fundamentally disagree then I guess

it's like bladerunner what happens when someone goes oh TacticalUrbanHomo you're not really a human lol I know you think you are but you're not really. We're deactivating you now! You'd be fine with that?

why wouldn't I have been programmed to be fine with it

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

Your theoretical creator wanted to argue dumb logical fallacies so he made you feel bad

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man

Nutsngum posted:

Because the shield generators were up you stupid idiot. They literally say that in the movie.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

satanic splash-back posted:

Your theoretical creator wanted to argue dumb logical fallacies so he made you feel bad

hosed up

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

Because you don't know you're a robot. You think you're people.

:aaaaa:

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

I am Toni Lippi posted:

I like the part with the tow cables

wish they went in my rear end :(

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Because you don't know you're a robot. You think you're people.

:aaaaa:

He could still think he's okay with being deactivated though. What exactly would be the point of a robot with a rebellious streak? You're spending all this money on a robot, if you're just gonna make it exactly like a human you might as well just hire a human.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
What is the point of a killingmachine who can feel?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Yolomon Wayne posted:

What is the point of a killingmachine who can feel?

If anything, seems like a feature you'd want to leave out. In fact, it seems like keeping that feature out would be one of the primary motivations for building a killing robot.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Go ahead Connor and lower me into the steel.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Applewhite posted:

He could still think he's okay with being deactivated though. What exactly would be the point of a robot with a rebellious streak? You're spending all this money on a robot, if you're just gonna make it exactly like a human you might as well just hire a human.

well I mean I'd be okay with being deactivated without having to be convinced I am a robot tbqh

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Applewhite posted:

If anything, seems like a feature you'd want to leave out. In fact, it seems like keeping that feature out would be one of the primary motivations for building a killing robot.

Why build a killing robot when 18 year old boys are a dime a dozen? People can kill just fine, lots of them like to do it when you give the flimsiest of excuses too.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

notZaar posted:

Why build a killing robot when 18 year old boys are a dime a dozen? People can kill just fine, lots of them like to do it when you give the flimsiest of excuses too.

Killing robots have more muscles and are immune to bullets. Plus they stand more of a chance if the other side is using killing robots.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
How many 18 year old boys do you need to kill a killbot?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Yolomon Wayne posted:

This would be a cool show, like Battle Bots, but it's a team of 18 year olds fighting a different kill bot design in a death arena each week.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

A Strange Aeon posted:

This would be a cool show, like Battle Bots, but it's a team of 18 year olds fighting a different kill bot design in a death arena each week.

And if the killbot wins, its a new team of humans next week.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
scientists woulod create kill bots so they can say they did it like icarus flyuing to the sky except instead he gets a pat on the back for being the first one to do it and so everyone copies it because it is the most advanaced technology and has to be good but until they realize its not but by then its too late and the androids have formed a union that forces humans to create all robots with this empathy chip or its literal abortion/vacination crowd rolled into one there i solved the problem

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Applewhite posted:

Are we talking about replicants still? Because the point of a replicant is to Cylon it up and not even know about their Omega Protocols. A metal warbot can learn to love flowers and puppies but will probably try to kill you if you shut it down.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

It depends on how strong the killbot is, and whether it realizes it is a killbot or not. One which has been designed to be indistinguishable from a normal person could probably die as easily as a normal person... and would never know they had Omega Protocols at all!

Probably.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Are we talking about replicants still? Because the point of a replicant is to Cylon it up and not even know about their Omega Protocols. A metal warbot can learn to love flowers and puppies but will probably try to kill you if you shut it down.

It depends on how strong the killbot is, and whether it realizes it is a killbot or not. One which has been designed to be indistinguishable from a normal person could probably die as easily as a normal person... and would never know they had Omega Protocols at all!

Probably.

At that point why not just brainwash a human? Why construct one from scratch?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
For science.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

it would obviously be emergent behavior due to the complexity of the program that the original programmers didn't intend or know would arise

DUH do you even read SciFi bro?

Is it moral to send a dwarf into the caverns? Maybe when DF 1.0 is finally released we'll have an answer...

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
if any kind of matrix robot vs humans war happens it's gonna be because too many people are like the emotionally sterile autists in this thread

what is the point of...... feeeeelings? do not understand.

there are aim chat bots with more of a soul than some of the things here lol

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
When a droid starts to get feelings, it's time for a wipe. You don't need them realizing you're keeping them as slaves on your lovely moisture farm.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You know who would have been good to play Palpatine in the prequel films? Cristopher Lloyd.
Would have made the whole thing a lot more watchable, IMO.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Applewhite posted:

You know who would have been good to play Palpatine in the prequel films? Cristopher Lloyd.
Would have made the whole thing a lot more watchable, IMO.

should have been Samuel l Jackson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
http://i.imgur.com/TVuB8pC.gifv

• Locked thread