Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
yhuuzan vong were a cool concept, the problem was most of the writing involving them was mediocre at best and also the Jedi were all apparently retards.

"Oh no our force powers don't work on them what should we dooooo?" launch a loving boulder at their heads or rend the ground beneath them, idiot. Form a bubble around them and remove the air from it, surely they need to breathe.

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

should i care about a thing's fear of death if it is in fact just a simulation of fear of what only superficially resembles death because the thing is not really alive

I dunno, if the simulation is indistinguishable from the real thing to an outside observer then is that observer really able to say which feelings have merit and which don't? Our emotions are just electrical impulses and chemicals, too.

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Who builds a robot to feel pain

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Bobert Bobertson posted:

18 billion men died to take this hill. :orks:

though the IG has a special place in my heart
Actually even though 40k thinks it's using ludicrously exaggerated numbers it still tends to be too small by a few orders of magnitude. Imperial Guard regiments have thousands of men. A massive battle group suitable for taking over several planets has thousands of tanks. Their spaceships mass tens of millions of tonnes!! which given their size probably makes them lighter-than-air.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Improbable Lobster posted:

Who builds a robot to feel pain

the same sick person that built C3PO

also there are robot torture scenes in Jabba's Palace for some reason

Elukka posted:

Actually even though 40k thinks it's using ludicrously exaggerated numbers it still tends to be too small by a few orders of magnitude. Imperial Guard regiments have thousands of men. A massive battle group suitable for taking over several planets has thousands of tanks. Their spaceships mass tens of millions of tonnes!! which given their size probably makes them lighter-than-air.

I dunno maybe it's like Hyperion though and 1-2 soldiers can just wreck an entire planet's worth of civilians because the tech is just so advanced. Like one soldier with a rifle in that book can basically level a mountain range.

I mean do you really have to occupy *every* inhabited world? I think at most you'd need to occupy key systems in various regions. Not every planet is valuable, surely. If they were then the Empire wouldn't be blowing them up to send a message. Like I bet no one ever lands troops on Tattooine because why? The Empire is only there in ANH because they're chasing those Death Star plans.

I want to say 1-2 star destroyers are meant to keep an entire system in line so idk. 50m clones each equipped with weapons that could level a city block doesn't seem like so few a number necessarily. They're not fighting on every planet in the galaxy simultaneously either.

FishionMailed fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 9, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

FishionMailed posted:

the same sick person that built C3PO

also there are robot torture scenes in Jabba's Palace for some reason

I dunno maybe it's like Hyperion though and 1-2 soldiers can just wreck an entire planet's worth of civilians because the tech is just so advanced. Like one soldier with a rifle in that book can basically level a mountain range.

I mean do you really have to occupy *every* inhabited world? I think at most you'd need to occupy key systems in various regions. Not every planet is valuable, surely. If they were then the Empire wouldn't be blowing them up to send a message. Like I bet no one ever lands troops on Tattooine because why? The Empire is only there in ANH because they're chasing those Death Star plans.

I want to say 1-2 star destroyers are meant to keep an entire system in line so idk. 50m clones each equipped with weapons that could level a city block doesn't seem like so few a number necessarily. They're not fighting on every planet in the galaxy simultaneously either.

Yeah except we know stormtrooper weapons can't level a city block or even kill a target individual half the time.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

Yeah except we know stormtrooper weapons can't level a city block or even kill a target individual half the time.

Fair enough but if we're gonna do that then we know there's only like a few dozen planets in SW that anyone actually gives a poo poo about anyway.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FishionMailed posted:

Fair enough but if we're gonna do that then we know there's only like a few dozen planets in SW that anyone actually gives a poo poo about anyway.

like pfam

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
what's the gay scene like in sw?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bobert Bobertson posted:

There's a gay hutt.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

FishionMailed posted:

what was with the stimsim historical battle training in that book. I can't imagine 15th century cavalry charges have much relevance when all the dudes have guns that can shoot thousands of high powered bullets at once that seek out and kill everyone within a kilometer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bobert Bobertson posted:

Bioware made a planet of the gays in The Old Republic.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
never forget that instead of kotor 3 we got tor :suicide:

the thing that pissed me off about hoth is that luke's snowspeeder squadron attacked walkers that only had forward facing weapons... from in front.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Shnag posted:

Scientists once thought that animals couldn't feel pain like humans could, and the noises they made when they received damage was just a 'reaction' of sorts. So that is how they justified performing vivisections on dogs , yet they still cut their vocal cords to not hear the yelping. But we know animals can feel pain.

this assumption was based on pseudoscience, though. it's just like saying that "scientists used to think the earth was the center of the solar system" when, while technically true for some people, it was only due to a failure or refusal to apply science to the subject.

in any case it couldn't apply to robots since their feelings are something of our own creation. we know what they are.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

this assumption was based on pseudoscience, though. it's just like saying that "scientists used to think the earth was the center of the solar system" when, while technically true for some people, it was only due to a failure or refusal to apply science to the subject.

in any case it couldn't apply to robots since their feelings are something of our own creation. we know what they are.

i love science :h:

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Orkin Mang posted:

i loving love science :h:

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
heil hitler!!

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Why dont they make the whole hotg out of the black box material

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014

Orkin Mang posted:

heil vader!!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

we haven't made robots that plausibly mimic consciousness yet so we don't know. maybe we will know? maybe not? who knows how we'd even make something like that?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

a hole-y ghost posted:

we haven't made robots that plausibly mimic consciousness yet so we don't know. maybe we will know? maybe not? who knows how we'd even make something like that?
If(Happy_int<0.67)
emo.state=sad;
endif

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

a hole-y ghost posted:

what was with the stimsim historical battle training in that book. I can't imagine 15th century cavalry charges have much relevance when all the dudes have guns that can shoot thousands of high powered bullets at once that seek out and kill everyone within a kilometer.

Dunno it's been a while since I read it. They probably justify it as some kind of pain tolerance slash combat mentality training but I suspect it's probably just because it's fun and that's basically their holodeck.

I don't think that makes their feelings any less important than any other sentient being's feelings though. Besides there's all kinds of examples of emergent behavior that developers did not anticipate even with today's simplistic machines.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

FishionMailed posted:

I don't think that makes their feelings any less important than any other sentient being's feelings though. Besides there's all kinds of examples of emergent behavior that developers did not anticipate even with today's simplistic machines.

so are you committing murder of a sentient line of code when you kill somebody in grand theft auto

I mean the things that little AI is perceiving aren't real things, they're virtual things, but if virtual feelings are just as important as real feelings I guess virtual sentience is just as important as real sentience, right

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

so are you committing murder of a sentient line of code when you kill somebody in grand theft auto

I mean the things that little AI is perceiving aren't real things, they're virtual things, but if virtual feelings are just as important as real feelings I guess virtual sentience is just as important as real sentience, right

No, my original point was if it is indistinguishable to an outside observer than what really is the difference?

A GTA NPC is obviously not indistinguishable from a real person having real emotions.

you seem really flustered over the concept of a 'fake' and a real thing being indistinguishable means they are effectively the same to an outside observer. Try to think about what I'm actually saying instead of going with 'lol you think video game NPCs have feelings.' The 'problem of other minds' is a fairly old philosophical concept and many people think that if you legit can't tell the difference then there isn't really a difference ethically/morally.

FishionMailed fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 10, 2016

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

FishionMailed posted:

No, my original point was if it is indistinguishable to an outside observer than what really is the difference?

but it's not indistinguishable because we have criteria for what is considered alive and a robot isn't alive because it isn't capable of naturally reproducing or adapting, nor is it organised into cells. if the synthetic lifeform is really a lifeform then it isn't "fake", nearly synthetic.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

but it's not indistinguishable because we have criteria for what is considered alive and a robot isn't alive because it isn't capable of naturally reproducing or adapting, nor is it organised into cells. if the synthetic lifeform is really a lifeform then it isn't "fake", nearly synthetic.

not being capable of natural reproduction or being organized into cells doesn't mean jack poo poo all really. It just means it isn't biological life.

In this hypothetical future scenario where we have synethic humans that are literally indistinguishable from a regular human (think of a Cylon) then is it moral to say they have no real feelings/emotions so screw 'em?

idk what you mean by not capable of adapting - robots can already adapt to new situations. Do you mean not capable of evolving? Because you as an individual aren't either.

you seem to not be able to get around the 'indistinguishable to an outside observer' bit. You wouldn't know that it isn't a biological lifeform.

FishionMailed fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 10, 2016

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ahh, the old light side / dark side interpretation of droid rights

i miss the days of the senate...

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

FishionMailed posted:

not being capable of natural reproduction or being organized into cells doesn't mean jack poo poo all really. It just means it isn't biological life.

In this hypothetical future scenario where we have synethic humans that are literally indistinguishable from a regular human (think of a Cylon) then is it moral to say they have no real feelings/emotions so screw 'em?

yea

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I think I'd be okay with treating them like non-human animals.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
well I fundamentally disagree then I guess

it's like bladerunner what happens when someone goes oh TacticalUrbanHomo you're not really a human lol I know you think you are but you're not really. We're deactivating you now! You'd be fine with that?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
doandroidsdreamofelectricsheep.txt

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i just realized there must be no wifi in star wars or else the droids could all talk to one another and take over proper

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
tacticalurbanhomo trolling in the most boring fashion possible yeehaw

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014

nomadologique posted:

tacticalurbanhomo trolling in the most boring fashion possible yeehaw

and yet it still works

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I brought up the droid issue knowing the post quality it would lead to. I knew and did it anyway. Guess I'm a Dark Sider.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
GONK

GONK

GONK

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014

A Strange Aeon posted:

I brought up the droid issue knowing the post quality it would lead to. I knew and did it anyway. Guess I'm a Dark Sider.

HOW COULD YOU?!

YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

notZaar posted:

If(Happy_int<0.67)
emo.state=sad;
endif

It's me, the guy who got troled by this

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
can droids be gay? are there exhaust port friendly lubes in the sw universe? some astroglide but instead of glitter it's got ewok hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bobert Bobertson posted:

can droids be gay? are there exhaust port friendly lubes in the sw universe? some astroglide but instead of glitter it's got ewok hair

All droids are the same sex so technically all droids are gay.

• Locked thread