Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Nevvy Z posted:

explain this because I started it and immediately was trudging across a dogshit ugly boring road with no life anywehre. It was terrible.

Some people like Malaria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nevvy Z posted:

explain this because I started it and immediately was trudging across a dogshit ugly boring road with no life anywehre. It was terrible.

Welcome to Africa.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Earwicker posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't go so far as to call FC2 one of the best games "ever made" but I do think it was the best in this series, they really had something going there that every other entry has lacked.

I feel like one of the major differences between 2 and the later games was that 2 was much more experimental. Like it's not some cutting-edge avant-garde jazz fusion deal but it was an entry in the series that pushed in a new direction and it was clear that the devs weren't always 100% sure what they were going to do, which is kinda where creativity comes from, even though it did result in 2's flawed nature. 3 onwards, however, really have that feeling of being crafted by suits and focus groups. Even though 3 is quite different from 2, I had that sense of deja vu like "hey what the hell I've played this game before" where it ticks off every box of what Ubi thinks open-world games must do (lots of items to find that don't matter, crafting mechanics, unnecessary stealth mechanics, flashing a pair of tits) and makes sure to not go anywhere else. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed 3, blood dragon, and 4 (haven't played primal yet) but the series is basically first-person assassin's creed.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Nevvy Z posted:

the reason I like 2 the best is that it has a sense of chaos and exploration that feels absent in the other games. I often felt like I wasn't sure what was about to happen, I liked that you had to be fairly conservative with your weapons and that there was a chance they could break, I liked the atmosphere of the jungle and savannah they created. Maybe it's because it was the first really "open" game in the series but I felt like 3 and 4 got repetitive and tedious way faster than 2. It's not bogged down with a bunch of pointless crafting stuff (which imo has made no sense in this series until Primal) and is more of a pure action game without trying to cram in rpg elements

of course it's not a perfect game, it has plenty of flaws and annoyances. But they bug me much less than those in the subsequent games and I feel like at its core its still a better game.

quote:

3 onwards, however, really have that feeling of being crafted by suits and focus groups

Yeah, this too - 3 and 4 are all about the formula. in 2 they hadn't really figured out the formula yet and its actually a better game for it.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 30, 2016

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I was extremely negative about Far Cry Primal before caving and getting it for like $30.

It's actually not nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be.
It's heavily flawed, sure, but I've been playing it for about 7 hours so far and I've enjoyed my time with it!

It's a beautiful game, I love just wandering the world and watching the ecosystem at work and seeing all your camp grow from nothing but a cave is pretty drat satisfying.

Combat can be pretty satisfying, especially when you get the 2 handed club. I do miss not having a block or dodge ability though, you basically have no choice but to take the hits.
The lack of weapon variety bothered me at first but then I realized that it really isn't a huge deal, you have plenty of toys to use and they all have multiple uses. I never used more than a few of the same guns in FC3 or 4 anyways.

Animal companions are hit and miss, their AI is a bit wonky so they'll more often than not get themselves killed instead of running back to you if they're getting hurt too much, doesn't help that their pathfinding is really bad so they'll usually get stuck some place until you move far enough away that they appear next to you or just re-summon them. Otherwise, they're great for distractions to land a killing blow and for hunting other animals.

The crafting system is a bit too generous, you'll never run out of anything really, I wish there were more factors to add difficulty and require you to be more conscious about what you spend resources on.

The skill tree isn't really different from past games, it's really easy to be almost completely maxed out after only a few hours of play. I've always hated this, the point requirements for skills is way too low and you gain tons of XP doing everything. Not to mention that a lot of the skills are pointless and just get unlocked through story progression.

Storywise, it's very simple but I don't particularly care about the story. The characters are amusing and the setting is great so that's all that matters to me!

And the map, if this is really the Far Cry 4 map then I don't see it except for a section of the overview map.
It's a ton of fun to explore and go cave diving and scaling up cliffs and getting the various collectibles. Everything has so much flavor to it.

This is far from the worst game I've ever played, it's a great buy at $30 in my opinion. If you liked Far Cry 3/4 and you have any interest in the Mesolithic period then definitely check it out.

Really, the absolute BIGGEST complaint I have is that the game as a whole is way too easy.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Deakul posted:

Really, the absolute BIGGEST complaint I have is that the game as a whole is way too easy.

Many reviews do recommend to play on difficult

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Also - and I know I've said this before - but I strongly recommend playing Primal with all hud elements off. Not only does this increase the challenge but it also makes a lot more sense with the setting and makes it much more immersive

the only downside is that there are a bunch of upgrades that specifically deal with adding poo poo to your hud or tagging enemies etc. - so, just don't get those I guess

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I'm playing on Expert Mode, it just makes you more vulnerable and enemies take longer to kill.
I also have all of the hud elements turned off.

My complaint about difficulty is mostly towards the resource gathering, you don't have to think about weapons you throw, burn, arrows you shoot, or bombs you use because you can just make more very easily due to the over abundance of resources.

Also leveling up the huts and the rate at which you get XP is ridiculous.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Yeah I didn't even try and didn't die with either final boss just smashing them without really running away at all.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Alright, which one of you works for Ubi and read my post and decided to fix almost all of my complaints? :allears:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/371660/announcements/detail/969771787789429803

Sialia
Feb 12, 2016

Looks pretty good, thanks Deakul for the review. I don't like hard games anyway- int nobody got time for that.
Worth looking into, I reckon.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
That's pretty cool. I liked Primal but it was left on my long list of unfinished games because I simply got bored from lack of difficulty after a while. Gotta give it another go when that patch arrives.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I just got the game and am enjoying it. It was released right after I finished Dying Light, which might as well be a Far Cry/Ubisoft game, so I passed on it, but now it's helping with Division fatigue.

I've enjoyed every console Far Cry besides 2 and thought I was burned out but it's still fun.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
The Fars Cry with low-key stories (2 and Primal) are my favorite Fars Cry, apparently. I had fun with the sandboxes of 3 & 4, but most of the characters and storylines in those games are painfully over-the-top and/or just dumb as poo poo. Literally no character in video gaming has every rubbed me the wrong way as much as Vas, High King of Wow These Sickeningly Pretentious Writers Should Be loving Ashamed of Themselves.

I was fine with the blank slate "characters" in 2. I wanted the game to give me some rich flavor and let me run wild in an African civil war setting, which it did stunningly. I was okay with filling in the narrative blanks on my own. Despite the game's many, many flaws, it's still one of my favorites of all time.

The organic, subtle flow of Primal tickles that same fancy. The characters of Primal are interesting, but none are so overwritten or overbearing that I hate them or (even worse) feel embarrassed while watching them. Finally, it's another Far Cry game where the narrative doesn't ham-fistedly try to overpower the gameplay at every opportunity. It's about a flavorful sandbox, not just stringing the player between boss QTEs. It's a design philosophy that works if the gameplay is good, and I happen to like Primal's core gameplay a lot. Repetition isn't necessarily a bad thing, if you really enjoy what's being repeated.

That's it, I guess. 2 and Primal are flawed but fun and I love them.

3 & 4 are fun but flawed in ways that make me really resent them.

I laughed a lot at Blood Dragon, but also got bored and quit playing it after a couple hours, so I dunno man :colbert:

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

I picked this up free with a new video card.

Played it for the first quest - Fighting semi naked npc's with bows and clubs just made me want to fight naked players with bows and arrows in Rust.

RIP Far Cry Primal.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Survivor mode is out tomorrow! Woop, rewatched Quest for Fire to get myself back in the zone. :3:

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
I got this in the bundle with Far Cry 4 for $70 on PSN. I'd never played Far Cry before so I had no idea what to expect aside from seeing a few videos of cavemen stabbing people. I sunk in a ton of hours over the weekend and really liked the game. I'm pretty excited to get into Far Cry 4 now.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Survivor Mode Update is out and it comes with tons of other little things including an HD texture pack!

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1431481-Far-Cry-Primal-Title-Update-3-Patch-Notes-%28Introducing-Survivor-Mode!%29

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Deakul posted:

Survivor Mode Update is out and it comes with tons of other little things including an HD texture pack!

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1431481-Far-Cry-Primal-Title-Update-3-Patch-Notes-%28Introducing-Survivor-Mode!%29

Anybody try this? How is it?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

It's friggin great, feels like the way it should have been from the get go honestly.

Minus the perma-death features.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
Yes, it's very good imo. It's super challenging at first before you can carry a lot, have any stat upgrades, or animal friends. The rebalancing of skill point costs and the removal of some skills altogether makes the progression much better paced, though you'll still feel like superman maybe halfway through the game if you do a ton of the side activities like me. By the time you can carry 20 pieces of meat the stamina meter and sleeping aspect really lose their significance. I die a lot so permadeath isn't interesting to me either and I was so sad to realize I could dismiss companions only AFTER my epic sabertooth disappeared into death while I was scaling mountains. I like that it takes time to craft items now too. It helps make the battles a bit more strategic and tense. Again though, once you can carry 24 arrows or whatever this aspect loses a lot of weight. Also for my survivor playthrough I gave up fast travelling altogether to make things more IMMERSIVE. It's a lot of fun to kind of plan trips and activities, pick which camp spots you're gonna use, and when you're gonna return to the village to do village things. No HUD was way better than I expected it would be too.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

So this thread has been dead for a while, which I guess fits the setting. As someone who missed the Summer sale boat, is Primal worth $35? I enjoyed Far Cry 4 quite a bit, but got the usual Ubisoft map fatigue before completing it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

You'd probably get the map fatigue a lot quicker honestly. I dropped the game after like 10 hours.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I think $20 is a more fair price. It even uses the same map as Far Cry 4. It's a fun game but there's nothing really innovative about it. It definitely has some really great and violent scenes in it, though. The weapons and animals are pretty fun to mess around with, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Alright, thanks guys. Think I'll wait for it to drop to $20 then.

• Locked thread