Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Good LP, tons of great info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
That was some amazing work Crosspiece. Definitely an LP for the ages.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Amazing LP, just like the last one

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Thanks for another fun LP Crosspiece, looking forward to Birthright Conquest.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Thanks for doing this LP! G/S/C was when I really fell in love with Pokémon, and I thought HG/SS was a great remake. Thank you for really going the distance to show us everything these games had to offer!

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Great LP, seriously, thanks for all the effort you put into this! Can't wait for Emerald Conquest! :cheers:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The postgame for HGSS is crazy! I never really touched it when I played the HG myself, and I don't think I would have been very happy if I tried, but man, what an insane amount of content. Thank you very much for putting it all on display!

Also appreciate the shout-out. I'm watching you.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Great LP. I'm kinda sad that Conversion2 never actually got used in my submitted Crafty the Porygon...but then again, it's kind of a niche (useless?) ability anyways. Especially in the Battle Castle where it seems like going All Asskicking, All the Time is the way to go to maximize your CP gains.

Haifisch posted:

Will you link the Conquest LP in here once it starts? I assume you're going to take a break before then, and it'd suck to miss the ground floor.
This, please.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for all the effort, it was a fun ride!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Thanks for going that extra mile to show off e v e r y t h i n g

The safari zone blocks requiring like 140 days to max out is just.....insane. Like what on earth were they thinking with that.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Phenomenal LP. HG is still probably my favorite Pokemon game ever. Big part of that might be that the Pokedex seemed so conquerable at that time. It wasn't (and never will be) but it felt like it was.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012
What a fantastic LP, I had no idea there was so much stuff in the postgame! Kudos to you Crosspeice, chalk me up as another looking forward to the Conquest LP!

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
I got the black Trainer Card in Platinum. First, last, and only time I'll ever do that.

Losing the Tower streak in the 70's, 80's, or 90's was heartbreaking every time it happened. Only thing I really care much to do now is have my living dex in Pokemon Bank. Speaking of which, I need to finish Moon so I can get the last few things for it...

Congrats on finishing the LP! It's been a fun ride, and I definitely am looking forward to Conquest since I've never played that one!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Great job LPing, just like the last time. Every time I think that I am kinda versed in the Pokemon games, your LP comes along and shows me how little I actually know. Can't wait for Conquest, never even touched that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Thanks for the LP! Definitely interesting to see everything the games had to offer. I'll be awaiting that Conquest LP.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Cheers for the kind words everyone, I really appreciate it! I've done most of the busy work for Conquest, so it'll be up pretty soon, I'll be sure to link it in the thread.

Simply Simon posted:

Also appreciate the shout-out. I'm watching you.

Just some European humour, I thought you'd like it.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Thanks for a fantastic LP (and for showing off the madness/slog of the Gen IV battle facilities)!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Crosspeice posted:

Cheers for the kind words everyone, I really appreciate it! I've done most of the busy work for Conquest, so it'll be up pretty soon, I'll be sure to link it in the thread.

Just some European humour, I thought you'd like it.
Haven't you gotten the memo? My people don't get humour!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, this was a great production all the way through.

I'd like to see what the photo feature turns into now that they've gone fully 3D. How would they even get some of them in the frame?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Glazius posted:

Yeah, this was a great production all the way through.

I'd like to see what the photo feature turns into now that they've gone fully 3D. How would they even get some of them in the frame?

I think having your backdrop be a small portion of your wailord would be a hilarious and good solution.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, you finished it, nice. Thanks for this, been an interesting read. Reminds me a bit of Cool Ghost's FF VIII thread, you dug out a ton of tiny hidden details and great big things that I had no idea were in this. Looking forward to Conquest, hopefully it will also inspire me to finish up on that.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

https://lparchive.org/Pokemon-Crystal-(by-Crosspeice)

We're done! Thank you again! Conquest should've been up by now, but I went to a festival for 5 days. I'm making some updates now, so it should be with you very soon.

If you haven't already, please do watch this crazy LP I and Dirty Deeds Done did last summer that we finally got round to archiving. It's dumb and a blast and I love it.

https://lparchive.org/DOGCHILD/

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Thanks for the LP, looks like I got caught up just in time for the end. I do wonder if I could ask a few questions that I didn't quite understand going through the whole thing:

1) Shinys (shinies?)
A pokemon is "shiny" if it is a different color than normal. This is caused by all of its stats(?) being the same number. These stats are generated randomly at the time the pokemon in the wild is generated or (more likely) when the new pokemon is bred (So when the egg is created?). Is it mathematically possible to get a starter that is shiny naturally (so you could start with a shiny Totodile) or can those only be obtained through the trade > breed > hope >repeat cycle?

2) Legendaries
I got real lost on the generations after 2 but from all the post game stuff, without trading it seemed in HG/SS you could have the three legendary birds from RBYG, The three dogs, plus the two other birds from GSC, plus Gerudon, Rayquayza and...the blue one from RSE. That's 11 legendaries, not including one time appearance guys like Mew, Celebi and the other ultra rare guys?

3) Generations
Again, not played in a long long time, but did HG/SS support every pokemon from Gen 1-4? I mean, really, you just showed the reward for having nearly 500 individual pokemon. And now if you have gen 1-3 on virtual console you can move those to a bank that you can eventually import into Sun and Moon, along with whatever new ones they have in there?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

CzarChasm posted:

1) Shinys (shinies?)
A pokemon is "shiny" if it is a different color than normal. This is caused by all of its stats(?) being the same number. These stats are generated randomly at the time the pokemon in the wild is generated or (more likely) when the new pokemon is bred (So when the egg is created?). Is it mathematically possible to get a starter that is shiny naturally (so you could start with a shiny Totodile) or can those only be obtained through the trade > breed > hope >repeat cycle?

2) Legendaries
I got real lost on the generations after 2 but from all the post game stuff, without trading it seemed in HG/SS you could have the three legendary birds from RBYG, The three dogs, plus the two other birds from GSC, plus Gerudon, Rayquayza and...the blue one from RSE. That's 11 legendaries, not including one time appearance guys like Mew, Celebi and the other ultra rare guys?

3) Generations
Again, not played in a long long time, but did HG/SS support every pokemon from Gen 1-4? I mean, really, you just showed the reward for having nearly 500 individual pokemon. And now if you have gen 1-3 on virtual console you can move those to a bank that you can eventually import into Sun and Moon, along with whatever new ones they have in there?

1) All Pokemon have a basic 1/8192 chance of being a shiny unless they absolutely must be a shiny (the Red Gyarados of these games being the most known example) or if it's a one-time legendary (which usually are locked to never be shiny). Events can swing either way. As such, there's nothing stopping your starter from being a shiny, and it's just as likely as breeding one or finding one in the wild without using special methods that increase shiny chance like the Shiny Charm (key item, doubles shiny chance) and the Masuda Method (breeding Pokemon from different languages doubles shiny chance).
You're wrong on what determines a shiny though, the math is more complex than just having all stats as the same number in Gen 2, and it's completely different in Gen 3 and onwards where it is determined by a calculation involving the Original Trainer's ID number and secret ID number, as well as the Pokémon's personality value. Regardless, the first point stands, you can very much start with a shiny if you're either very lucky or willing to reset constantly.

2) Not quite. Nearly all of those are correct, but you can only get one of Groudon and Kyogre depending on version, and you need the other for Rayquaza to appear, so that's one trade needed for two.

3) Pokemon doesn't do resets, every game has every Pokemon released until that time. That said, usually old Pokemon will require being transferred from older games to be obtained, and as of Sun and Moon the National Pokedex was removed entirely so they won't appear in the Pokedex nor have a number.
About the other thing, you can indeed import Pokemon from the VC versions of Gen 1 and (upcoming?) Gen 2 into Sun and Moon through PokeBank. There's no VC version of Gen 3 yet and it's very unlikely there'll be one, as Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are 3DS games so they can transfer Pokemon on their own to Sun and Moon, unlike FRLG and HGSS that would require a much longer method.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

2) Legendaries

Adding on to this real quick, there's 3 more: Mewtwo & one of Latias(HG)/Latios(SS). Rayquaza requires someone with the other version's RSE mascot. So in total between the 2 versions you can get 14. This was intentional. HGSS was the final gen 4 game and the idea was that between the pair & Platinum you could get every non-event Pokemon without transferring....except for the RSE trio (Regirock, Regice, Registeel) which required an event Regigigas in Platinum. This is also why you could get Kanto & Hoenn starters, which were normally unavailable without transferring.

Gen 5 wasn't quite as lofty, but still included quite a number: BW2 allowed you to get 17 legendaries (the gen 5 trio, the gen 5 box art trio, all the regi, latios/latias, the gen 4 trio, cresselia, heatran) but you needed Dream Radar and access to the gen 4 games to get the OTHER gen 5 trio (or access to BW1) and the gen 4 box legends. The gen 1 birds, the gen 2 dogs, the gen 3 box legends & Mewtwo had to be found via give aways or transfers

Gen 6 simplified this more. ORAS just straight up has the 32 legendaries not available in XY (which only had its native 3 + the kanto 4) and the only events necessary were for the standard event pokemon (Mew etc). Between all 4 gen 6 games you could obtain every normal pokemon

Gen 7's next games will likely follow in some fashion, though I'm not sure USUM will go the whole distance.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Good job there.

I was wondering when Hatred would finally appear. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hope you enjoyed the LP, it's very interesting to see how someone who doesn't know the franchise too well react to my LP, I delve deep into the mechanics but you don't need to know this stuff if you only play the games casually or for fun. And yeah, I definitely skipped a few things towards the end of the HGSS stuff, for hopefully understandable reasons.

Oh yeah, here's my new LP I guess, it's pretty cool.

• Locked thread