Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

Ceebees posted:

A certain enemy makes that sound as a warning, because they can gently caress you up in a hurry. There's a rare audio bug with their sound persisting after you kill them or leave their zone. Until the dev finally tracks it down, restarting is the correct way to get rid of it.

Ahhh, I see. That must have been it. It was driving me crazy after awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

PantsBandit posted:

Wow, love the miniboss out of nowhere in the south quadrant. I was getting my rear end kicked over and over until I realized if you can destroy all his little turrets he's basically helpless.

The one that shits all the projectiles? I'll be honest that was the only boss I beat on my first try. The shield dash trivializes it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I could fukken play this game forever. I want it to go on and on. It's totally my jam.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Just randomly snagged this and it's freakin' excellent. Hope it lasts a little while cuz I don't want to stop.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
They just made some patches that made it a lot more accessible and less difficult, so it's a good time for you to get in on it if you've been worried about intimidating difficulty.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

if this game had procedurally generated dungeons, bosses, and gear it could be a contender for the greatest game of all time in my book

e: and coop

rap music fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 20, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

They just made some patches that made it a lot more accessible and less difficult, so it's a good time for you to get in on it if you've been worried about intimidating difficulty.

The Friday patch? They reverted that back on Monday. Unless they put out another patch?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
They reverted it completely? I thought they only partially reverted it, and left a lot of the bonus invincibility frames etc.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Pavlov posted:

The one that shits all the projectiles? I'll be honest that was the only boss I beat on my first try. The shield dash trivializes it.

Yeah I did not have the shield dash at that point :cool: I actually considered going back to town to buy it but I didn't want to redo the entire section. Ultimately I'm glad I didn't because it was really cool figuring out how to beat the guy without it.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

They reverted it completely? I thought they only partially reverted it, and left a lot of the bonus invincibility frames etc.

You are correct:

quote:

- Health kits no longer recharge at warp pads
- Reduced number of invincibility frames in the dash
- Extended heal time slightly

They didn't revert anything except the health pack refill (why), the other two changes are now kinda in-between.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Meiteron posted:

Game finished in around 7 hours. It would have been sooner but I spent about 30 minutes on the last boss because I was being really stupid and not baiting out one of the attacks that swept the room.

I'm trying to wrap my head around what exactly the story was about. The closest I've gotten at this point is as follows (major spoilers... I guess?): we're dying, and we're having these visions of a diamond, maybe we think it's a cure. So we go around killing hostile aliens and powering up the platform in the city to get down to the diamond. But it's not a cure, it's a monster, that we've also been having dreams about. Killing the monster destroys the diamond, which blows up the facility it's in, which depowers... whatever that thing in the sky was. Then we die, because there was never a cure. And I guess the Dog has something to do with this? He wanted us to destroy the diamond for some reason? Also, if I just blew up a giant facility underneath the town isn't that pretty bad news for all the people living up there?

I'm hoping there's more to it then that because that seems awfully thin. What story there was, was presented well, but it just kind of runs out by the end.

Everybody with an interest in the plot needs to read the decoded monolith text. Going to post it out here, too:

1. TRANSCENDENCE FAITH IMMORTALITY

2. RIFTS CRAFTED, DANGEROUS POTENTIAL

3. A FOUNDATION FOR FAITH & VIOLENCE

4. A LOSS OF SELF, A NARROW PATH TRAVELED

5. OVERWHELMING WONDERS AND POWER

6. DESPERATE HUNGER FOR PROGRESS

7. DISTORTION OF LIFE, DEVOURING BODY

8. THE FIRST VICTIM OF THE INVASION

9. AN ISOLATED PEOPLE FEARFUL & OBSESSED

10. OFFERING OF A GREAT CLEANSING FLAME

11. A POISONED, MADDENED BONELAND

12. FRAGILE BALANCE SCORCHED, UNDONE

13. PRECIOUS MOMENTS CAPTURED BY CRYSTAL

14. A STILLNESS OF MIND, SKILL HONED SHARP

15. MIDNIGHT LOOMING

16. TRAPPED BY DESPERATION TO REMAIN

Numbered just to keep track of them, there's obviously no way to determine a chronological order. Also, some of these are apropos of the zone they're found in, such as 13 & 14 being located in the west area full of crystals and samurai.

Now, the final text that appears in the library once you've activated all monuments:

HARNESSING A GREAT WELLSPRING, A PERFECT IMMORTAL CELL WAS CRAFTED TO BE IMBUED WITHIN ALL SENTIENT LIFE

A NOBLE GOAL, THOUGH SUCH A POWER TERRIFIED OTHERS, AND BROUGHT RUIN AS ITS PURPOSE WAS TRANSMOGRIFIED

THE ABHORRENT CELL STILL FESTERS DEEP IN THE CHAMBERS OF THIS WORLD

Less vague, puts the individual monument texts into clearer context, and more or less explains what Judgement is.

Would be cool if we could get a link to this and the costume effects guide in the OP.

There's a couple of story analyses on Reddit and they're terrible- for example, thinking that Anubis is the literal Egyptian god Anubis, despite the game having no explicit real-world connection whatsoever; bizarrely claiming that the north titan died of exposure and the east one drowned, despite severe battle damage on both and the north one's fist being found punched into the mountain, clearly mid-fight; and so on. One of the would-be VaatiVidyas has written several pages of rambling, frequently misspelled gobbledegook which, given how little definitive information this game actually contains, basically amounts to his own lovely fanfiction. :cripes:

I strongly encourage everyone to just play the game, read these deciphered texts, and come to their own conclusions instead.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I prefer to stick to my personal narrative of your cough-disease having a side effect of insanely vivid hallucinations and you just end up stabbing your sword into the cities power reactor for no real reason, killing everyone when it collapses in on itself

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm glad there's some invincibility in the dash now, I was using it as a Dark Souls roll and getting bopped out of it all the time

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Cathair posted:

Everybody with an interest in the plot needs to read the decoded monolith text. Going to post it out here, too:

Would be cool if we could get a link to this and the costume effects guide in the OP.

I got you fam.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Zaggitz posted:

I got you fam.

Nice, thanks!

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

flatluigi posted:

I'm glad there's some invincibility in the dash now, I was using it as a Dark Souls roll and getting bopped out of it all the time

Wait they added invincibility frames now? Having to physically dodge everything was half the challenge.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
It's becoming a different game in response to the broader feedback. I'm glad I got to play it in its original form, but I'm excited to see what it becomes.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Back in my day we dodged without invincibility frames uphill both ways and we liked it :bahgawd:

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Just beat the final boss, pretty neat game.

Do I need to get all the modules/monoliths to unlock another boss for the Bully achievement?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Cathair posted:

You are correct:

They didn't revert anything except the health pack refill (why), the other two changes are now kinda in-between.

why would they revert the health pack change but keep the invincibility frames, that's dumb as hell

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vadun posted:

Just beat the final boss, pretty neat game.

Do I need to get all the modules/monoliths to unlock another boss for the Bully achievement?

No, the ending you see is what you get. The modules just unlock doors with more content and secrets and the monoliths give you a vague idea of the game's backstory if you can crack its alphabet cipher.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

why would they revert the health pack change but keep the invincibility frames, that's dumb as hell

My assumption would be because "Health refills reward dying casuals :byodood:" while dodge frames still requires you to dodge, and just gives you some leeway/pro speed runners can take advantage of it to act even more elitist about indie games.

Speaking of health refills, I still stand by my statement that upgrades to give you a guaranteed minimum of 1, then 2, health kits on respawn would be more practical than max healthkit capacity upgrades. Because if you honestly need the extra room for more health kits, you're alraedy doing well enough you will not need them.

I've had legitimate glitch induced deaths respawning me with no healthkits but still forcing me to go through an enemy gauntlet all over again, so while I understand no FREE refills I'd have loved to have a buffer.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fully vulnerable dodges took some time to get used to but there wasn't anything inherently wrong with it. (Well apart from the weird conditions for activating the projectile shield, but that's a separate issue.)

On the other hand, it's trivial to visit the North zone between expeditions and fill up on easily-accessed medkits, and they respawn each time you switch zones. It's just tedious.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Section Z posted:

My assumption would be because "Health refills reward dying casuals :byodood:" while dodge frames still requires you to dodge, and just gives you some leeway/pro speed runners can take advantage of it to act even more elitist about indie games.

Speaking of health refills, I still stand by my statement that upgrades to give you a guaranteed minimum of 1, then 2, health kits on respawn would be more practical than max healthkit capacity upgrades. Because if you honestly need the extra room for more health kits, you're alraedy doing well enough you will not need them.

I've had legitimate glitch induced deaths respawning me with no healthkits but still forcing me to go through an enemy gauntlet all over again, so while I understand no FREE refills I'd have loved to have a buffer.

I haven't played since I beat the game, but aren't supposed to have the same amount of health kits you had at the last autosave point when you die?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Fully vulnerable dodges took some time to get used to but there wasn't anything inherently wrong with it.

On the other hand, it's trivial to visit the North zone between expeditions and fill up on easily-accessed medkits, and they respawn each time you switch zones. It's just tedious.

Saying gently caress it and farming an entirely separate zone for meds isn't really engaging though.

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

I haven't played since I beat the game, but aren't supposed to have the same amount of health kits you had at the last autosave point when you die?

I've had terrible luck with it playing the post gauntlet victory scene while a single ranged enemy is still alive. Then, saving my state of health kits but NOT that I beat the room, as I get finished off execution style the instant I get control back.

"Well at least I beat the room so I won't have to do that all over again with no healthkits and-gently caress."

Most of the times it happened I was able to avoid it because the enemy was all the way across the room, but those times where I haven't been able to, ow.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 23, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Section Z posted:

Saying gently caress it and farming an entirely separate zone for meds isn't really engaging though.

Yes, that's my point. They should have left the medkit change alone, it was a quality of life change that had basically zero relationship to skillfulness.

e: To be clear, the change was that interacting with a warp pad refilled your kits; nothing to do with respawning.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yes, that's my point. They should have left the medkit change alone, it was a quality of life change that had basically zero relationship to skillfulness.

e: To be clear, the change was that interacting with a warp pad refilled your kits; nothing to do with respawning.

I haven't been keeping up but that's a great change. Do any purchasable upgrades actually unlock access to more things (are there any grenade only doors?) and also if anyone is having trouble finding secret areas just look for dots on the ground. They are super easy to find. I've only gotten to the north dungeon and the east waypoint/crossroad and Ive gotten $7 and am sure I have missed 0 secrets.

The only one I've found I can't get in the north there a space I drop to with a moving bridge I have to active, turn a switch, then dash back onto the bridge. This is hard, but I think it unlocks the thing I shoot nearby? I am having mechanical issues with this one moreso than finding it issues.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

The multi-dash is required to get some secrets. I think an upgraded gun is needed to hit the large switches across gaps to open some secrets too. There's one large switch per zone I think.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Pavlov posted:

The multi-dash is required to get some secrets. I think an upgraded gun is needed to hit the large switches across gaps to open some secrets too. There's one large switch per zone I think.

There's a specific gun that activates those: the sniper rifle, the one with the visible laser sight. I don't think other guns work.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Is that what it was? Does it need to be upgraded too? I could have sworn I hit them with the un-upgraded one and it didn't activate.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Pavlov posted:

Is that what it was? Does it need to be upgraded too? I could have sworn I hit them with the un-upgraded one and it didn't activate.

No. AFAIK upgraded or not-upgraded makes no difference. I haven't tested this on every switch in the game of course, but I've never had a switch not activate when shot.

Also, I'm not sure that you actually need the rifle. I've activated at least one pillar switch with the pistol. Sword slashes and even random enemy fire will also work on pillar switches that are repeatably activatable. The rifle is obviously the easiest to aim with though, and has perfect accuracy.

All gun upgrades do is increase your max ammo count. This is more useful than it seems because ammo recharge via sword use seems to be percentile rather than flat-rate, so you get more ammo back per slash the higher your max total is, but these upgrades are still pretty low-priority compared to other, more strategy-altering abilities.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 24, 2016

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Some pillars can be activated by any gun but the ones with the reticle on them can only be activated by the rifle.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

cenotaph posted:

Some pillars can be activated by any gun but the ones with the reticle on them can only be activated by the rifle.

This is what got me.

I took a break from this game but now I've kill all 3 starting bosses and found all 8 west purple things. hooray. I might just use a map for the last few because I'm bored of east and north.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 22, 2016

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
This game rules, but it also kind of annoys the poo poo out of me? It feels so good, it looks so good, the stuff they've done with making 3D illusion space work in 2D is incredible. But sometimes it feels made up 75% of minor frustrations; switch hunts, hidden paths to required stuff, frame-perfect inputs, four-greebles-makes-a-grobble type collectathons. The combat is so tight and I wish they'd done even more with it because when it really kicks into gear (bird wizard lord!!) it's unspeakably good, but so much of it is just guys throwing projectiles or themselves in a straight line at you that you can use the same strategy all the time. It's also really cool that you can't afford all the upgrades and some of them overlap in function so you kind of have to make a build.

It reminds me of like Beyond Oasis or El Shaddai in that you skim along the surface of a beautiful game world that isn't quite ready for all the cool stuff you can do in it. Still! Huge achievement, great work

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can someone tell me how to get to this upgrade box. It's driving me nuts. I figured out how to get into the building but there doesn't seem to be a path that goes down.

Also, is the rhythm on the chain dash supposed to be incredibly hard or is this something with the PS4 version? I find is almost impossible to do with any sort of consistency.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 27, 2016

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

NESguerilla posted:

Can someone tell me how to get to this upgrade box. It's driving me nuts. I figured out how to get into the building but there doesn't seem to be a path that goes down.

Also, is the rhythm on the chain dash supposed to be incredibly hard or is this something with the PS4 version? I find is almost impossible to do with any sort of consistency.

there's another way into the building that lets you go through the south exit. also the chain dash became easier for me when I figured the rhythm out, managed to get 50+ a row without really trying in the village -- it's 3 dashes at a slower pace and then it speeds up and stays steady from there. think of it like X - pause - X - pause - X - pause - X - X - X - X .....

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The 800 chain dash thing is the dumbest bullshit. And it annoys me since they obviously put an unlockable behind it.

E; Grammar Catastrophe.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 28, 2016

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

It's just another color of outfit. Still, it's an obnoxious final barrier between getting a platinum on ps4. I can do everything on the achievement list, but gently caress doing that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That samurai boss is a real pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Got this on the PS4 the other day.

Loving it so far. Been enjoying exploring the game without any assistance and feeling like I'm not missing anything (even if I am)
It just feels way more organic than a lot of other adventure games like it.

• Locked thread