Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

I dunno OP, get a cow. Or a buffalo.

I wanted to get a goat but my wife doesn't want it pooping everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Legit looking into this now. Thanks!

Clover is also good for bees!! :3:

Also I've read somewhere that moss is better than mulch for mulchy purposes (around trees or gardens) because it's ~alive~ and doesn't need to be replaced, and holds moisture well. Mulch is gross anyway

The Dregs posted:

One of my neighbors asked my wife to not let our kids blow on dandelion because it spreads seeds. Why the gently caress do people hate dandelions?? They're pretty and edible and they're my son's bearded dragon's all time fave food. So now the kids get one (1) jelly bean every time they manage to locate and launch a ripe dandelion.

yessssssssssss

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

AEMINAL posted:

Thread need more lawn pics

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

So pure. A strong lawn.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Applewhite posted:

promis her you'll clean the poop every week, then don't

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

boom boom boom posted:

promis her you'll clean the poop every week, then don't

I'm already on thin ice for using this excuse in the shower.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

impressive

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Wanna tear up dat pure green grass

(and plant radishes instead)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

i dont like lawns, i want a nice apartment in the city

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Bonsai Grass.

give it a second, just let it sink in. i think i've got a winner here.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
If you want a low maintenance lawn just get zoysia plugs.

naem
May 29, 2011

Business Gorillas posted:

i dont like lawns, i want a nice apartment in the city

I wanted this too and now I love in a studio and am going slowly insane

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

B.H. Facials posted:

If you want a low maintenance lawn just get zoysia plugs.

Oh gently caress zoysia.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

Bonsai Grass.

give it a second, just let it sink in. i think i've got a winner here.

A lawn completely covered in bonsai trees?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Applewhite posted:

A lawn completely covered in bonsai trees?

The perfect place for a plastic green army man war!

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

goats dont graze like sheep or cows they eat leaves from bushes

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Applewhite posted:

Train the goat to eat its own poop so it's like a walking recycling machine.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
A goat who eat he own poop? A shameful goat.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
gently caress dandelions. At least the kind that grow tall and are super full of milky sap. Those motherfuckers are aphid magnets.

Haven't mowed my lawn since last year. Feels good. Starting to plant a few ferns. Gonna definitely look into clover.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Chia rock garden. Offer to host chia plus barbecue parties for any and every unlikely sculpture your neighbors provide. Quality of cooked meat served will depend on the sculpture's size and other prurient merits.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
On Friday I was when up at the crack of non by my neighbor to the east mowing his lawn. Saturday be mowed it again. Sunday he mowed it again. Today he's out there yet again mowing. Idgi

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Volume posted:

On Friday I was when up at the crack of non by my neighbor to the east mowing his lawn. Saturday be mowed it again. Sunday he mowed it again. Today he's out there yet again mowing. Idgi

I love mowing and my 1.5 acre yard is badass, but yes I live next to an old retired guy that is just like this. He mows a minimum of 3 times a week but it's more like 5. He does a great job and it's great exercise for him don't get me wrong, but drat old man go fishing or something sometime instead for a chance.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

You have my respect

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Cover your front yard in rocks and succulents.

Sorry for that post its not funny but it's really super good and helpful for you

Utz
Aug 1, 2008

by vyelkin

Dave_Indeed posted:

I'm not an rear end in a top hat.

Yeah you are.

Dave_Indeed posted:

I loving love lawns.

Dave_Indeed posted:

The only time I have ever seriously injured my back was from trying to pull weeds out of a ditch because the dumb whore that owned my house before me put a garden in a loving DRAINAGE SWALE.

Dave_Indeed posted:

I cleared the brush out of my woods and used it for more fuckin' yard.

Dave_Indeed posted:

Clover lawns look like a poo poo butt.

This local hippy got owned by the township for having a "natural habitat" for a front lawn. They labeled the property a nuisance and made her cut it, but she was crying in the news paper about not wanting to run over snakes and groundhogs. Everyone voted and decided she was fuckin dumb and needs to shutup before we kick her rear end though.

gently caress YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Utz posted:

Yeah you are.

gently caress YOU

Why are you so mad at lawn lovers?

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Utz posted:

Yeah you are.

gently caress YOU

Get bent pussy. Come fight me.

Macrowave Oven
Nov 20, 2008

Guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, clavinet, piano, keytar, lap steel guitar, slide bass guitar, mandolin, violin, and FRESH POTS.

The Dregs posted:

One of my neighbors asked my wife to not let our kids blow on dandelion because it spreads seeds. Why the gently caress do people hate dandelions?? They're pretty and edible and they're my son's bearded dragon's all time fave food. So now the kids get one (1) jelly bean every time they manage to locate and launch a ripe dandelion.

My in laws use a vacuum and go around sucking up the seeding dandelions' seeds.

Which of course is ridiculous.

Every year our drainage ditches get a bright orange algae bloom from runoff lawn fertilizer. At least the lawns look good though.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Here in Arizona yards come in 4 forms. There is also a fifth form that is unique to the mountains up in northern Arizona.

1. "Traditional" yards. Some neighborhoods have HOAs that force you to maintain a yard with grass and lovely plants, because God forbid that anyone show any kind of free will and have a house that looks different from the 600+ other homes around it. Of course, since grass and most bushes and trees used in yards are not native to Arizona, and thus incapable of surviving our 350 days or the year where there will be no rain at all, your water bill will increase exponentially and the plants will likely die anyway. You will have to mow your lawn and trim bushes and trees year round, because there are no seasons here, only summer and slightly cooler summer. People die here every year while doing yard work in the summer due to heatstroke.

2. Gravel yards. A lot of people around here have realized that grass is loving bullshit and instead cover their yard in gravel. On small yards it can look just fine if you mix in large rocks and some native plants. Unfortunately people here tend to be white trash losers who cover their half acre properties with gravel, including their back yards, and have no plants. It looks terrible and manages to make this place somehow look even more desolate than it usually is. It is also a loving oval office when you are stupid and let weeds grow, because now the gravel blocks all of your weed removing tools. Gravel also makes your yard unusable for anything during the few months where you can survive outside.

3. Old, rural style yards. Arizona used to be populated mostly by ranchers and farmers who owned vast properties. Some of the oldest neighborhoods still stay true to the old rural style of small houses with very simple yards. They usually have large yards that are covered in some kind of grass that is really low maintenance. I don't know what kind of grass it is but it is way better than the poo poo you see in most lawns. These homes usually also have huge, beautiful trees that provide excellent shade and make the yard usable all year long, even in the middle of summer. Some of the oldest neighborhoods even have irrigation ditches. These areas are really nice and I envy them for being better than all of the lovely modern houses.

4. Natural landscape. In outer suburbs like Apache Junction you will see a lot of old houses on private streets. These houses are usually owned by ranchers who prefer the natural scenery of Arizona. The yards are usually uneven dirt and gravel landscapes covered by Arizona's native desert plants which include bushes and small trees that perpetually look like they are dead, as well as cacti. Cacti come in many forms, such as our famous Saguaro cactus, which can stand up to 20 feet tall and is a favorite habitat for many birds, including the occasional owl! There is also the drum cactus which grows into a simple ball shape with long needles that aren't actually as bad as they look since they are softer and less pokey than other cacti. And then you have the cholla cactus and its relatives. Cholla-type cacti all have one thing in common, which is that they will grow segments that will break off and roll onto the ground, where they will become a diabolical trap that will punish anything that comes near. If you see a cholla cactus, you have likely already stepped on one of those spikeballs, which will pierce your shoe and will lodge needles into your hands when you try to remove it.
Anyway these yards are actually not all that bad since they look natural and require zero maintenance and does not harm the environment.

5.If you are lucky and live in northern Arizona, you can just leave your yard as it is because it will already have wild grass and pine trees. Houses in these areas are usually nice, built with brick or made to look like a cabin. Sadly there are still those undesirable shitheads who believe that the world is their playground and wipe out forest for the usual suburban abominations. These people deserve nothing but death. I hate them, and I want to kill them all. Sadly I have only one life and don't want to waste it fighting a battle that I cannot win, so I won't hurt anyone.

Fuckers.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 25, 2016

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

I purposely don't edge my sidewalk because I know it secretly angers my neighbor the lawn general

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I have a lawn, but I don't have much of a choice because I'm not desert folk. Imagine living in a place were effort had to be made for grass to grow.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
I can understand having a lawn so you can do fun recreational things on it but gently caress people who need a perfectly manicured single grass strain yard and gently caress HOAs.

Also gently caress my landlord for deciding they should put loose gravel on the 30 degree slope between the front and back portions of my house so you pretty much have to carry the lawnmower up the stairs.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My neighbor really owned me with her lawn yesterday. The weather was really nice and I was taking a nap out back, so the old lady next door decided to get her POS chitty chitty bang bang of a lawnmower out and run over her backyard that is 90% rocks and sticks. It's only the second time I've ever known her to mow her lawn, so I'm pretty sure it was personal but I have no idea why.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My neighbor really owned me with her lawn yesterday. The weather was really nice and I was taking a nap out back, so the old lady next door decided to get her POS chitty chitty bang bang of a lawnmower out and run over her backyard that is 90% rocks and sticks. It's only the second time I've ever known her to mow her lawn, so I'm pretty sure it was personal but I have no idea why.

dook on her doorstep

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Skeleton King posted:

Here in Arizona yards come in 4 forms. There is also a fifth form that is unique to the mountains up in northern Arizona.

1. "Traditional" yards. Some neighborhoods have HOAs that force you to maintain a yard with grass and lovely plants, because God forbid that anyone show any kind of free will and have a house that looks different from the 600+ other homes around it. Of course, since grass and most bushes and trees used in yards are not native to Arizona, and thus incapable of surviving our 350 days or the year where there will be no rain at all, your water bill will increase exponentially and the plants will likely die anyway. You will have to mow your lawn and trim bushes and trees year round, because there are no seasons here, only summer and slightly cooler summer. People die here every year while doing yard work in the summer due to heatstroke.

2. Gravel yards. A lot of people around here have realized that grass is loving bullshit and instead cover their yard in gravel. On small yards it can look just fine if you mix in large rocks and some native plants. Unfortunately people here tend to be white trash losers who cover their half acre properties with gravel, including their back yards, and have no plants. It looks terrible and manages to make this place somehow look even more desolate than it usually is. It is also a loving oval office when you are stupid and let weeds grow, because now the gravel blocks all of your weed removing tools. Gravel also makes your yard unusable for anything during the few months where you can survive outside.

3. Old, rural style yards. Arizona used to be populated mostly by ranchers and farmers who owned vast properties. Some of the oldest neighborhoods still stay true to the old rural style of small houses with very simple yards. They usually have large yards that are covered in some kind of grass that is really low maintenance. I don't know what kind of grass it is but it is way better than the poo poo you see in most lawns. These homes usually also have huge, beautiful trees that provide excellent shade and make the yard usable all year long, even in the middle of summer. Some of the oldest neighborhoods even have irrigation ditches. These areas are really nice and I envy them for being better than all of the lovely modern houses.

4. Natural landscape. In outer suburbs like Apache Junction you will see a lot of old houses on private streets. These houses are usually owned by ranchers who prefer the natural scenery of Arizona. The yards are usually uneven dirt and gravel landscapes covered by Arizona's native desert plants which include bushes and small trees that perpetually look like they are dead, as well as cacti. Cacti come in many forms, such as our famous Saguaro cactus, which can stand up to 20 feet tall and is a favorite habitat for many birds, including the occasional owl! There is also the drum cactus which grows into a simple ball shape with long needles that aren't actually as bad as they look since they are softer and less pokey than other cacti. And then you have the cholla cactus and its relatives. Cholla-type cacti all have one thing in common, which is that they will grow segments that will break off and roll onto the ground, where they will become a diabolical trap that will punish anything that comes near. If you see a cholla cactus, you have likely already stepped on one of those spikeballs, which will pierce your shoe and will lodge needles into your hands when you try to remove it.
Anyway these yards are actually not all that bad since they look natural and require zero maintenance and does not harm the environment.

5.If you are lucky and live in northern Arizona, you can just leave your yard as it is because it will already have wild grass and pine trees. Houses in these areas are usually nice, built with brick or made to look like a cabin. Sadly there are still those undesirable shitheads who believe that the world is their playground and wipe out forest for the usual suburban abominations. These people deserve nothing but death. I hate them, and I want to kill them all. Sadly I have only one life and don't want to waste it fighting a battle that I cannot win, so I won't hurt anyone.

Fuckers.

I hate lawns but I am really enjoying these regional lawn insights.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Today I declared total war on my backyard.

The Mice and Ants have me outnumbered, but I have the technological advantage and have deployed chemical, biological and Standard warfare upon them.

I hope I kill all of them and my poly-cultural lawn grows.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
This weekend is when I have picked to repair my propane torch, which is the finest lawn care tool yet invented.

Sure, I could spend my time bent over pulling weeds along the walk, or I could just burn the fuckers down to the gravel. Same deal with the fence lines, oh no, looks like wild rose bushes are starting to take over, what ever shall I do?

*unleashes 400,000 British Thermal Units of loving fury on those dumb rear end plants*

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My father used to make me mow the lawn in diamond shapes so it looked like Yankee Stadium. He threw baseballs at my head while I did this.

inkajoo
Oct 4, 2015

nyes

DYK grass is technically weed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

"Hurr durr, what if it were the fashion for every house were surrounded by plants you had to cut short and tend every weekend? You've been working hard at your job all week, so of course the first thing you want to do on your day off is sweat like a pig pushing a loud machine around for hours. DUrrrrr *shits pants*" -The jackass who invented lawns.

Yup I hate mowing/edging 1% less than I hate how lovely it looks when igrnored

• Locked thread