Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

symbolic posted:

you must be an english teacher to care so much about this poo poo

literally everything i can find says that ambulate basically means "to walk" or, more generally, "move from place to place", which can also be the definition of walking

either way, it's obsolete

You are a dipshit millennial who can't even extend the power of language beyond a single pathetic example of a word that has a base used in every day speech (e.x. ambulance)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i literally picked ambulate because it was the first word that i could remember from those textbooks

that's all it is

i completely understand the point you're trying to make and perhaps i did pick a really poor word as an example, but i don't have a personal vendetta against all words not used by Dr. Seuss

and ironically enough, i'm a professional writing major. make the joke like i expect you to.

Horniest Manticore posted:

why not? stem is the one true path
i'm loving useless with anything STEM besides some lower-level math

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

"I don't know why I should have to learn parts of my language beyond the 300 most common words used and the collection of memes I currently think is funny" - stupid fuckshit, age 10-35

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

symbolic posted:

i literally picked ambulate because it was the first word that i could remember from those textbooks

that's all it is

i completely understand the point you're trying to make and perhaps i did pick a really poor word as an example, but i don't have a personal vendetta against all words not used by Dr. Seuss

and ironically enough, i'm a professional writing major. make the joke like i expect you to.

I don't have to make any jokes about you being a writing major; you already have a fine portfolio

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

satanic splash-back posted:

I don't have to make any jokes about you being a writing major; you already have a fine portfolio
badda bing

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

ProperCoochie posted:

teachers: soemtimes work is really hard!!!! I deal with a lot of troublemakers and dramatics, i'm underpaid, and i have to do work outside of work too!!!!

Realize that so does everybody else in the workforce, except they work 12, sometimes 13, months a year. And they don't get a movie day or museum day

You: gently caress teachers you don't work hard.
Teachers: We do, we have to do X, Y, and Z and it's time consuming like many other people's jobs.
You: Everyone else has to work hard but you complain about it.

You're baiting people and then bitching when they bite.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Sheep-Goats posted:

Teaching is the worst possible faux white collar job to have to do.

only in amerikkka

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kitsunegari posted:

did a teacher molest you or something

probably

this isn't the first time he's shat his pants about this

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hogge Wild posted:

only in amerikkka

Maybe there's a place where it's a little better but I'm pretty sure there are lots of other places where it's officially the worst.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hogge Wild posted:

probably

this isn't the first time he's shat his pants about this

Horniest Manticore is a devoted STEMlord but he's an okay guy and getting better.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Hogge Wild posted:

only in amerikkka

Teaching in America is way better than teaching in most countries. For all the poo poo that people talk about the American education systems is pretty good and isn't being actively dismantled like it is in the UK.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

shep-goat is spergin out of his mind

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

it's okay man we're here for you

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

symbolic posted:

how have you been allowed to remain alive?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

criscodisco posted:

How does that work? Did you take your mom to prom in the garage?

Usually I jut locked myself in the closet and screamed my self to sleep

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
My wife was a middle school teacher for a time and had some great stories about her students and terrible ones about the administrators.

My pops is a music teacher and makes very little money but loves what he does. He somehow justifies buying $4k PAs and $10k mixing boards. Thanks dad for never teaching in a public or private school and keeping our family living hand to mouth my entire life!

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
I'm glad I made this thread. Interesting reading, for sure.

genesplicer, thanks for the informative post. [/]buttkiss

I had a geometry teacher, call him Mr. Ned, who was cool as heck. He was a square built guy of eastern european descent and knew every dirty joke that us 7th graders hadn't heard yet. He also had a strange knack for inverting classrooms. My typical classroom consisted of students who gravitated to the front/middle/back of the room. The fronters were eager learners with an eye to that solid A in every class, the middlers were probably going to a junior college, and the backers were FFA and screw offs.

Mr. Ned's class was different. The backers took the front, the fronters squeezed back a few rows with no real protest (discretion being the better part of valor), and the middlers stepped to the back of the bus. I was front and center. My desk literaly butted up to his desk. He stepped on the punchline of every nasty joke I whispered at him and one upped me with a better joke every time.

Anyway, he was a brilliant teacher. He'd do circles of the class, walking past every single student at least three or four times per class. He'd expound on whatever the lesson was for the day in a clear and distinct voice. At the end of each circuit, he'd put relevant diagrams on the blackboard and answer any questions, even smartass questions. One of the middlers who was a temporary backer tried to get some comedy cred with the old 'prove a triangle by Angle Side Side' gag and Mr. Ned shot him down in a hurry. "No, dummy. You can only prove acute triangles that way and if you can't prove EVERY triangle with your AY ESS ESS, your AY ESS ESS is worthless!'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr. Sweeft. I'm pretty sure Mr. Sweeft is dead from alcohol poisoning by now. Let this be his epitaph:

He took the spanish club student's american dollars in Tiajuana to go to the bank to exchange them for pesos. The police found him three days later, drunk and broke in a red light district in Mexico City.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mrs. S G. A lovely matronly lady. She sparked my interest in earth science and made me want to study geology and paleontology. :h:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr. Frank. Chem teacher and chess coach. I and my friend (who was first board for a rival school chess team) would spend the odd saturday smoking weed and studying endgames with Mr. Frank. I beat Mr. Frank in a rated tourney game the next summer and I think he was actually pleased with that result.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mrs Idon'trememberyourname. My second grade teacher who taught me that I was as blind as a loving bat and that I really and for most seriously needed an eye exam and a pair of cokebottle glasses. Thanks. I couldn't read or write without your help.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

genesplicer posted:

[Interesting stuff]

You should do an Ask/Tell thing, I would be really interested in that (unless you have already).

What class is it you teach again and what age group?

Happy Teacher Day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Let us English posted:

Teaching in America is way better than teaching in most countries. For all the poo poo that people talk about the American education systems is pretty good and isn't being actively dismantled like it is in the UK.

My facebook had a ton of posts from friends teaching in the UK about that new law they're putting in that requires foreign workers to make x amount of money or else they have to leave (I don't remember the details) and it's like $2500 above what teachers there make.

I know several Canadians teaching in England and many more who taught there and left because their system and students are hosed

• Locked thread