Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Let's celebrate the most important job in the world. Sorry about the crap pay, though. Recall your past mentors and say something about them.

I had a pretty hot Eng Lit teacher in my senior year of HS. She was a brand new starry-eyed idealist teacher, who would lift me and my whitetrash peers out of the mire of ignorance and into the golden light of literacy. What mostly got my interest was she had nice hooters and drove a sporty car.

Anyways, the first thing she did on the first day of class was to hand out brand new paperback copies of "Wuthering Heights". I said to her that I'd rather not read some old gothic soap opera. She was aghast! "But it's a classic!" "So is an Edsel" "What would you rather read?" "Something contemporary. How about I do a report on "Mother Night"?

I aced it and then just coasted the rest of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating
I quit teaching 6 months ago and now earn double what I did as a teacher tooling around on a computer all day. It rules

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I want to know where teachers all buy their weird, depressing clothes.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
We buy then in normal stores, its just we have this aura of stale failure that never washes out.
And yep : Props to Genesplicer

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009

criscodisco posted:

I want to know where teachers all buy their weird, depressing clothes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Nothing is here forever,
not even the world.
Let's enjoy it while it lasts.
I am lucky enough that the teacher I will have for most of my major's classes is a cool and personable dude. He used to work as a cameraman on our local news station and knows more than probably anyone I've ever talked to about the history of filmmaking and digital film technology. He's got a sense of humor, knows what he's talking about without just reading it from some other source, and is genuinely friendly to people that come to him needing help. He actually teaches instead of just telling you the information and saying go hog wild good luck in the real world.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

lol

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i teach plate spinning at the community college

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
Anybody have a secret teacher relationship

Or life mentor support worker sex

Anyone else I mean :smug:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
my teachers were terrible

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
My first grade teacher was named Mrs. Humbird, but I called her Mrs. Dumb-turd. She said I made my "o"s upside-down, but how the gently caress do you make an o upside-down? It's a circle.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Dear Genesplicer,

Pouring one out for you man. Not because of the students. Because of the drooling administrators and dumb as doorknobs fuckwits you have to call fellow teachers.

Enjoy: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/02/28/opinion/when-may-i-shoot-a-student.html?referer=

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 3, 2016

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Helical Nightmares posted:

Dear Genesplicer,

Pouring one out for you man. Not because of the students. Because of the drooling administrators and dumb as doorknobs fuckwits you have to call fellow teachers.

Enjoy: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/02/28/opinion/when-may-i-shoot-a-student.html?referer=

It's not a clip, it's a MAGAZINE. Gosh!

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
People who are good at teaching and people who are good at modding GBS are disjoint sets.

Happy Teacher Day, Genesplicer.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dear Genesplicer,

I think it's funny how apparently in a lot of schools there's now a 1:1 administrator to teacher ratio and that despite the number of students increasing, teacher numbers are nearly the same while vice principals eho make 3 times as much money keep popping up

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Who is the idiot who decided that teachers should get paid poo poo wages?

Props to all of you in that field, and props to Genesplicer.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Doc Friday posted:

Who is the idiot who decided that teachers should get paid poo poo wages?

Props to all of you in that field, and props to Genesplicer.

its an american thing. workers get lovely wages, management gets unreasonably high wages. teachers are workers, administrators are managers.

school principals in my area get six figures vp get 80-90k tell me that's not nuts

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Teachers pay isn't poo poo at all for the amount of work and education level I don't know why this myth from the 60s still is perpetuated. I mean I understand why the Teacher's Union says it but not why anyone else buys it.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I wanna teacher you all to suck my drat balls! - Professor GBS

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Mange Mite posted:

I think it's funny how apparently in a lot of schools there's now a 1:1 administrator to teacher ratio and that despite the number of students increasing, teacher numbers are nearly the same while vice principals eho make 3 times as much money keep popping up

Where I am enrollment keeps going down so they cut teachers, citing "the math" as the reason while ignoring that smaller classes typically show better student achievement.

Whatever, gotta create as many 30 student split classes as possible!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Professor Shark posted:

Where I am enrollment keeps going down so they cut teachers, citing "the math" as the reason while ignoring that smaller classes typically show better student achievement.

Whatever, gotta create as many 30 student split classes as possible!

Have they cut any non-teaching administrators though?

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress teachers, gently caress the mods, and gently caress things like "teacher day"

i hope they cancel summer and all education majors kill themselves

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The school I live next to continues to ask for more money every year, but the only wages going up are the administrators'

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

My mother is a teacher, her pay actually would be pretty good if she didn't give a poo poo like most of the teachers. But she actually works a poo poo ton of hours every week like a bozo!

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Dear Genesplicer,

hey, it's possible that Gene could have a coworker or boss that isn't bad

lovely parents who expect the schools to raise their child, contribute nothing, and then bitch at the teachers when this brilliant strategy implodes would be higher on my shitlist

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
when i graduated high school i gave my favorite english prof a copy of 'dhalgren', which in retrospect may have been kind of weird

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013

Drink Cheerwine posted:

gently caress teachers, gently caress the mods, and gently caress things like "teacher day"

i hope they cancel summer and all education majors kill themselves

If they canceled summer I would kill myself

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kitsunegari posted:

If they canceled summer I would kill myself

Let's do it

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Did you know Education is literally the easiest major in all college? Even easier than gender studies and "general studies"?

The average gpa for an Education major is 3.9

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It's pretty funny how Detroit is telling teachers they can't pay them over the summer, knowing full well that teachers are paid for 10 months stretched out over 12, so the city is basically telling them they aren't going to pay them for hours they've already worked and hoping the public will back them up on theft

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
take 'er easy, gene and anyone else brave enough to teach in this top heavy shitchute of a system.

also, chic filet and chipotle have free food for teachers today. gonna try and snag me some. :twisted:

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013

SurfaceDetail posted:

Did you know Education is literally the easiest major in all college? Even easier than gender studies and "general studies"?

as a dual major in English and education I can confirm this. I'm not saying teaching is easy but education courses are an absolute joke for the student and the professor

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013

Mange Mite posted:

Let's do it

Contact me when they cancel summer and we'll jump together

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SurfaceDetail posted:

Can confirm. Had a retarded Education Major ex-girlfriend that bitched about how hard her courses were so one time I snuck a peek at some of her work in her backpack and it was high school-tier writing assignments and exercises.

Pretty sure she ended up changing diapers on retards at an elementary school. Those poor retards.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I remember auditioning for the middle school band at the end of 6th grade and the audition was so awful I felt pretty bad about it. When I got to 7th grade the band teacher of course put me in Concert I(the newbie ensemble) because my skills at clarinet were really poor. Straight up at the beginning of the year since this ensemble was effectively people who were terrible at their current instruments, he basically forced a bunch of people to switch. He put me on tuba and lo and behold I ended up being really good at it, so good that the next year he put me in Symphonic(the best ensemble) and then the next year in high school I was in symphonic, 2nd chair, because the 1st chair was a senior and even though I was better than him in every way he had seniority.

I had been told before that I had potential but didn't apply myself, but the band teacher, rather than just saying it, made me realize it by forcing me to switch. Thanks, band teacher.

Unfortunately I don't play tuba anymore because that poo poo is loud and expensive, but I know I could probably do it pretty well if I decide to pick it up again.

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
The teachers will have the last laugh when their pension fund implodes and they come knocking on your door for a bailout.

"Don't....don't you care about....the.....the children?"

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Thr point of education majors is job security and indoctrination. Like if you are a college math professor in many places you cannot teach high school math because you don't have an education degree

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Mange Mite posted:

its an american thing. workers get lovely wages, management gets unreasonably high wages. teachers are workers, administrators are managers.

school principals in my area get six figures vp get 80-90k tell me that's not nuts

Just checked, pay scale for high school teacher here tops out at €65k, ~$75k.
I don't consider that lovely wages at all for a job with great job security and lots of free time.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I always thought most of my teachers were dumb as hell and then I got to college and met people who were education majors. All my suspicions had been confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

my mom is a 2nd grade teacher in a lower-income school district and she puts up with so much poo poo from parents, students, and administration

hats off to you, mom

• Locked thread