Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

more like bored game

-nefarious 2.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah that's fine. It's not stupid that people ever played Chess. Things improve over time and they have to start somewhere.

But you could also honor the horse for being the "genesis of modern transportation". Yet if someone tried to get a horse for the purpose of riding it to work everyday when they could have a car they'd have to be an idiot. The horse is obsolete and inferior to a car as a method of transport in basically every way.

Chess is the same way. It historically interesting and had an undeniable impact on the evolution of human culture. But next to modern games it just sucks. And much like a snooty Southern California horse owner, the only reason most people put their time into it because they mistakenly think it's a sign of class or intelligence.

So you would have us replace knights with motorcars? Chess is not monopoly, sir.

In seriousness, that's fine. Someday there'll be fewer and fewer chess players and maybe some other similar, more advanced game'll replace it. That would be fine. It's not sacred, it's just a sort of I dunno, tradition.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It looks like I'm the only one that has played this board game. Bunch of filthy loving millenials yelling about vidja games in here.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I liked playing as Crete cuz you basically had uncontested expansion on the Isle city tiles and you could setup a nice civ without having to rely on flood plain cities.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

phasmid posted:

Oh, they borrowed from a lot of good older scifi, but they had plenty of F. Herbert's stuff (including direct quotations). Never read any of the *color* Mars books, but I heard they were p good.
Imagine the opposite of good, that's what they were.

They're interesting for like 3 pages and then it turns v schlocky v quickly.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

notZaar posted:

I also like the game of 'LIFE'. Spinning that disc never gets old.

*disk flies off of the stupid thing and across the board killing your entire family*

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hmm sounds interesting. Is there a place where I can play this Civilization Board Game online OP?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
only board game i've really played in any decent quantity is catan. catan with some buds and beers is always a fun time, especially since winning is more about psychology than being a sperglord

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Hmm sounds interesting. Is there a place where I can play this Civilization Board Game online OP?
I'm pretty sure you cannot buy the 1995 conversion online anymore but it can be readily found on pseudo-:files: Abandonware sites.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
As a not good chess player I found Jeremy Silman's books to be helpful because they talk generally about how you generate certain advantages and how to identify and fight against advantages your opponent has generated.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

ConstantDelays posted:

And as I understand it, the board game actually does not use that concept, and plays out entirely in the classical age.

I own this board game and yeah, the pinnacle of the tech tree is Philosophy and Code of Law. You advance along a track that is supposed to be equivalent to centuries, but it stops well before the year 0 if I remember correctly.

The Hman
Jan 6, 2015
this cements civilization as just another ripoff of the better game: europa universalis :sweden:

its because they were both stolen from board games

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

phasmid posted:

I agree with your post, but I still think we should honor the game for being the genesis of modern games.

pfft chess isn't even close. Backgammon is the oldest game

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
through the ages is a better civilization game than civilization

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

Rutibex posted:

pfft chess isn't even close. Backgammon is the oldest game

actually the Japanese game Go has been around since 4th century BC

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Snatch Duster posted:

I have 3 cards, 1 is hides, and they are worth 3.

This guy knows what's up.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SirEvelynTremble posted:

actually the Japanese game Go has been around since 4th century BC

Mancala is likely older than both of them.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The oldest game is sex you dummies.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
wtf is civilization

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

serious norman posted:

wtf is civilization

Paintings and indoor plumbing and stuff.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

phasmid posted:

So you would have us replace knights with motorcars? Chess is not monopoly, sir.

In seriousness, that's fine. Someday there'll be fewer and fewer chess players and maybe some other similar, more advanced game'll replace it. That would be fine. It's not sacred, it's just a sort of I dunno, tradition.

Chinese chess already replaced rooks with cars

(Not really but actually yes really the 車 piece is the "chariot" but that's also how you write "car" now and I've heard people talk in English about the "car" piece in Chinese chess)

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

Panzeh posted:

through the ages is a better civilization game than civilization

Most of these nerds around these parts are roll through the ages kind of players dont talk to them about things that will only confuse them. :circlefap:

That being said I'm considering it but god drat being in amerikkka you gonna pay to own it: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/product/941643

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkCLKvqo0Ns

lol this guy is winding from picking up a 20lb game xD

edit: holy poo poo is this guy going to have a heart attack from an unboxing?

4outof5 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

notZaar posted:

I also like the game of 'LIFE'. Spinning that disc never gets old.

I'm tired of it and would frankly like to stop playing

• Locked thread