Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Tectonis posted:

GBS, why am I so bad at Stellaris?

I'm always running out of energy, or spending 15 months saving up gems to build stuff and then when I have enough some rear end in a top hat aliens show up and everyone runs back to my homeworld. It's like yeah, I could do the research project to find out the aliens aren't even scary but then I can't build colony ships. Is this game bad or is it me (probably both)?

Hey OP? Did you maybe try making cool aliens? Like, cool ones? Not bad ones?

Also when you research those projects the research you would have done gets stockpiled and added incrementally to your future research so its basically a wash and makes no difference.

But more importantly; have you tried making dudes that are bad enough to save the space president? have you tired that, OP?

Edit: It think your aliens are just bad probably OP. Did you try to make ET or something? Try and make a good one next time. That'll do it.

Talky fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Talky posted:

Hey OP? Did you maybe try making cool aliens? Like, cool ones? Not bad ones?

Also when you research those projects the research you would have done gets stockpiled and added incrementally to your future research so its basically a wash and makes no difference.

But more importantly; have you tried making dudes that are bad enough to save the space president? have you tired that, OP?

There is no space president in my space despotic empire.
:colbert:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
aliens are bad just kill em all of enslave them just like we should do to (space )aliens irl

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Ahundredbux posted:

aliens are bad just kill em all of enslave them just like we should do to (space )aliens irl

I did the opposite of that, I knocked over a huge empire based on slavery and liberated all of their worlds. Then my sentient AI robot people went on a rampage.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
Trade deals are your friends! Find an empire with an 70% or above trade modifier and give your excess minerals for energy!

Or stop playing like a baby, whatever man I'm not your dad, but he's disappointed.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
paradox released a shell of a game and now we're supposed to be excited for years of DLC to make it halfway decent

shameful

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I'm stuck at the point where the only thing left to research is dangerous tech and 5% upgrades and the like version MXCLVII for 99k. Meanwhile the three empires that took the other three cardinal directions are way past me somehow and do twice or three times as much damage.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Conclave.

"Oh a guy I have nothing to do with apparently did this other guy in my council a favour 12 years ago and is throwing a poo poo fit for some reason, cool, guess I can't take my own army to war with Gwent or w/e despite clearly being able to destroy them with my demense (sp?) holdings alone"

Oh no you can't mindlessly spam wars and map paint you actually have to manage vassal opinions and intrigue against them

get gud

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

I've got like 6 hours in this game now and I just realized the dotted circle is the maximum warp range my ships can travel.

Thinking that the game is bad and so am I at this point.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Berious posted:

paradox released a shell of a game and now we're supposed to be excited for years of DLC to make it halfway decent

shameful

some might call it a ..... conundrum

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Thunder Moose posted:

Trade deals are your friends! Find an empire with an 70% or above trade modifier and give your excess minerals for energy!

Or stop playing like a baby, whatever man I'm not your dad, but he's disappointed.

Excess minerals? lol

I do it the other around though, retarded aliens will buy worthless energy credits for cold hard minerals

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Famethrowa posted:

Oh no you can't mindlessly spam wars and map paint you actually have to manage vassal opinions and intrigue against them

get gud
It's a flawed mechanic, though, because you can't even vote on some issues where you would lose to "burn" those favours, they're either 100% there or not.

If they changed CBs so you could make it a personal thing where you can't raise the realm's troops until it's over (meaning if any big heretic rebellion or w/e happened you might have to white peace, which is almost never how wars end in CK2), or if you could vote on stuff but lose, maybe with a temporary -relations modifier for "Overpowered by Council" or something (which would also make votes a bit less likely to go your way and laws harder to change in general for a few years as a result), that would be A Good Change.

As of now it's just like "oh this important vassal I have is a total jerkoff and apparently did some guys a favour at some point offscreen?, well, guess he has to die now so my realm can work (because kicking him off the council would trigger a rebellion)". That doesn't really make the game all that much different or better, it's just busywork.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Tectonis posted:

I've got like 6 hours in this game now and I just realized the dotted circle is the maximum warp range my ships can travel.

Thinking that the game is bad and so am I at this point.

I think goons are just terrible at video games :)

jBrereton posted:

It's a flawed mechanic, though, because you can't even vote on some issues where you would lose to "burn" those favours, they're either 100% there or not.

You can burn favors and you can stagger them so they don't all get called in at once. You can also not let the council have authority to handle war declarations for you. Favors owed by random people to your council members have no bearing on anything.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 19, 2016

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Roylicious posted:

I think goons are just terrible at video games :)

yea pretty much universally

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
they sure do like to get mad about being bad at fighting games and how that makes fighting games bad because they are bad at them

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
"Yeah so what I like to play on easy difficulty and still have trouble? I'll have you know I have seventeen kids and am a full time computer surgeon."

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roylicious posted:

You can burn favors and you can stagger them so they don't all get called in at once. You can also not let the council have authority to handle war declarations for you. Favors owed by random people to your council members have no bearing on anything.

is this ck2 or
i dont have the newest xpac

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

paul_soccer10 posted:

is this ck2 or
i dont have the newest xpac

Yeah CK2. I mean look the council stuff takes a bit of getting used to and yeah it can be annoying sometimes but seriously people are bitching sooo much about it :rolleyes:

I kinda like it myself, the council has always seemed kinda useless beyond providing a positive opinion modifier for vassals and then sending them to do their thing in my provinces and forgetting about them until they die.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
since when can the council handle war declarations or have rivalries or debts owed or w/e - newest expac?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

paul_soccer10 posted:

since when can the council handle war declarations or have rivalries or debts owed or w/e - newest expac?

Yeah - it replaces the crown authority stuff. So low crown authority means your council basically has to approve war declarations and stuff like that, but you can also abolish the council's authority entirely at some point (absolute authority). And it is granular so like at first the council only has the authority to approve minor things like imprisonment (they will always vote yes if there is a valid reason), then approving title revocations, then war declarations, an so on. Each step takes a new council vote which you can game to your advantage through the favors system versus just hoping enough vassals like you to approve the law change.

The favor thing is like 'hey support me on the council' and the favor is then unconditional voting in your favor for like 5-10 years. They can call favors in with a 'hey press my claim' or a 'hey vote this way for me this one time' which you can also refuse to do.

Plus you can override council decisions a lot of the time anyway for a minor tyranny gain.

I like to role play in my head so that's fine for me :)

Game isn't all that hard anyway once you get some momentum going.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 19, 2016

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
i dont want the council to tell me what to do when im king the council can suck my dick

sounds like a bad xpac

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Well then take the tyranny hit and tell them to mind their own beeswax? Or abolish the council?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
then whats the point of even having the expansion pack

Moltke
May 13, 2009
to add an element of gameplay for people that want to play with it :shrug:

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roylicious posted:

Yeah - it replaces the crown authority stuff. So low crown authority means your council basically has to approve war declarations and stuff like that, but you can also abolish the council's authority entirely at some point (absolute authority). And it is granular so like at first the council only has the authority to approve minor things like imprisonment (they will always vote yes if there is a valid reason), then approving title revocations, then war declarations, an so on. Each step takes a new council vote which you can game to your advantage through the favors system versus just hoping enough vassals like you to approve the law change.

The favor thing is like 'hey support me on the council' and the favor is then unconditional voting in your favor for like 5-10 years. They can call favors in with a 'hey press my claim' or a 'hey vote this way for me this one time' which you can also refuse to do.

Plus you can override council decisions a lot of the time anyway for a minor tyranny gain.

I like to role play in my head so that's fine for me :)

Game isn't all that hard anyway once you get some momentum going.

nice meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Moltke posted:

to add an element of gameplay for people that want to play with it :shrug:

i mean for me, if i'm just gonna turn it off in game, I don't have it I'm asking for real here

• Locked thread