Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

hello friend. tbh i read the first quarter and skimmed the rest because i am a 21st century human with the responsibilities that ensues. but i did find time to read all kinds of c-tier david foster wallace stories, so.

I should reread Oblivion, that book was so good. His 9/11 story with that girl who gets creepily attached to her poo poo was good too.

That movie about the book tour was actually really good, would recommend if you're into dfw. Made me want to read the memoir it's based on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
In college I kept a book of Kafka in my coat to read on the shuttle bus and some drunk frat dude saw me reading it and was like "hey that guy that turned into a bug!"

The one with the doctor visit and the weird dream time way time passes stuck with me.

Also, one translation of the Trial I read ruined the first line. Instead of "someone must have been telling lies..." they made it "someone was traducing..."

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

I should reread Oblivion, that book was so good. His 9/11 story with that girl who gets creepily attached to her poo poo was good too.

That movie about the book tour was actually really good, would recommend if you're into dfw. Made me want to read the memoir it's based on.

i saw the jon krasinki directed version of brief interviews and i was disappointed that he took time away from mugging at camera to make it. not familiar with the one you mention thought, i will look into it.

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015
*agreed* OP

His stuff always left a foul taste in my mouth.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Kalifa is high as hell mother fucker.

That one's up for grabs.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

maporfic posted:

*agreed* OP

His stuff always left a foul taste in my mouth.
its like OK life is hard but guess what you could be breaking ships in bagledesh for a $1 an hour

not to say that academic philosophy is without its merits but like you just said

gently caress kafka

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015
Yeah, but $1 buys so much there. It scales.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

but bangladeski shipbreakers don't have the time or excess vocabulary to describe the existential hollowity of call center break rooms.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

being a ship breaker sounds pretty lovely but also exciting at the same time

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAj9QMmyMEw

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Commie NedFlanders posted:

palaghnick is kinda like the beavis & butthead of "woke fiction"

but hey, some of us like matt and trey judge

kid gets his intenstines sucked out from his butthole by a pool vacuum

yase, this has v. significant things to say about how we live now

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

A Strange Aeon posted:

The one with the doctor visit and the weird dream time way time passes stuck with me.

A Country Doctor(?) is creepy as gently caress

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I love Kafka and Palahniuk. I want to own all of Palahniuk. Except the one where an emo 12 yr old dies and goes to hell

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
We are talking about the FF3 dude here right?

GewuerzKahn
Jan 7, 2014

My opposable nipples are hurting me.
The Kafka anime is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDjmW-gIsKs

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Kafka is cool and good. He is also every high schoolers first deep book report alongside 1984, which is fine. Please read labyrinth by borges instead, for more weedsmoking infinity high art poo poo.

Borges lived during 1800 i think and is considered to be one of the greatest writers of all time, he even touched upon such concepts as post modernism, before modernism was even invented. I know goons love rambling about post modernism, so there you go. Hot drat borges is good.

All of his books are collections of short stories too, VERY short stories. They take about 30 minutes to read, if you dont dig down and get serious, then they last forever, anyway that means that you can read borges for 30 minutes, get dank of some extremely cool and good kalleidoscopic literary infinity concepts and then get back to masturbating over anime, all in 30 mins.

Start with the library of babel. Thats one badass loving short story.

Curdy Lemonstan fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 29, 2016

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEyFH-a-XoQ

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Best Giraffe posted:

A Country Doctor(?) is creepy as gently caress

Yeah, I think that's the one I was thinking of! So loving weird. Like a nightmare given fleshy form.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Kafka is cool and good. He is also every high schoolers first deep book report alongside 1984, which is fine. Please read labyrinth by borges instead, for more weedsmoking infinity high art poo poo.

Borges lived during 1800 i think and is considered to be one of the greatest writers of all time, he even touched upon such concepts as post modernism, before modernism was even invented. I know goons love rambling about post modernism, so there you go. Hot drat borges is good.

All of his books are collections of short stories too, VERY short stories. They take about 30 minutes to read, if you dont dig down and get serious, then they last forever, anyway that means that you can read borges for 30 minutes, get dank of some extremely cool and good kalleidoscopic literary infinity concepts and then get back to masturbating over anime, all in 30 mins.

This guy knows what's up.

If you like Kafka, you'll almost certainly like Borges. He's unique in the same way Kafka is unique--not that they have a lot in common in terms of style, but their very uniqueness gives them something in common.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
have you heard the story of icarus? who continually rolled a ball up a hill?

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, I think that's the one I was thinking of! So loving weird. Like a nightmare given fleshy form.

That's like all of Kafka, but that one is especially disturbing in that way. The rest tend towards a different kind of dreamlike but "nightmare given flesh" is such a perfect way to describe it.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Kafka is cool and good. He is also every high schoolers first deep book report alongside 1984, which is fine.

I'm pretty sure we stopped doing book reports in third grade and just started writing essays.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Wicked

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

did you just turn 20?

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Polish posted:

We are talking about the FF3 dude here right?

final fantasy SIX you cretin!

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

A Strange Aeon posted:

In college I kept a book of Kafka in my coat

I always wondered if people like this are real. Thank you.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I like books, even ones that GBS tells me are very bad. Sorry.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Haier posted:

I always wondered if people like this are real. Thank you.

I took being an English major seriously, what can I say.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

A Strange Aeon posted:

I took being an English major seriously, what can I say.

then maybe you should have carried around a book by an english writer :colbert:

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Germstore posted:

then maybe you should have carried around a book by an english writer :colbert:

lol pwnt

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday

Curdy Lemonstan posted: