Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

thathonkey posted:

i recently broke my first one ever by dropping my iphone 6 from a sitting position onto a perfectly flat and smooth surface and the screen just happened to crakk. i think that's what happened at least. fuckin xanax is a bitch. sometimes you just get unlucky i guess ive dropped the phone way worse and it had a case although not a great one

Well your first problem was you have an iphone, I swear they make the least durable screens of any other manufacturer out there. I think they use that glass they use in movies that break easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
The phone manufacturers are in cahoots with the women's clothes industry who are in cahoots with the purse lobby. It's a triad of collusion.

We deny women adequate pockets, so they must either put their phone in their 3 inch deep rear end pocket and inevitably break it/dump it in a toilet, or they must buy a purse and store it there.

Another win for patriarchy/capitalism.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

TontoCorazon posted:

Well your first problem was you have an iphone, I swear they make the least durable screens of any other manufacturer out there. I think they use that glass they use in movies that break easily.

Could be but at least i dont have to use android os

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

The Pony Incident posted:

has anyone else literally never broken their phone? and kind of looks down on all the people who have broken it like a ton of times or currently have a phone that is broken?

yeah I've never used a case for my phones and haven't broken them either, I honestly don't get how it's such a common thing. Like if someone handed you 300 dollars on a windy day and told you to hang onto them would you accidentally just let go or something? Modern phones are expensive, either upfront or in implied costs in your plans, the idea anyone could be so careless with them baffles me.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I really hate that my dick is made out of glass

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

thathonkey posted:

Could be but at least i dont have to use android os

Lol if this makes any difference to your life

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Tuxedo Gin posted:

maybe take better care of your poo poo, retard

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

CJacobs posted:

Yeah

I have a Galaxy S6 Edge and it has a completely useless curved screen that makes the edges really thin, it really seems like absolutely no attention was paid to how easy it is to drop this thing. I don't even use the case because it could fall, I use it because it makes it possible to hold onto the drat thing. It's a shame.

You paid extra for that 'feature' lmao

It does look nice, though.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

ArbitraryC posted:

yeah I've never used a case for my phones and haven't broken them either, I honestly don't get how it's such a common thing. Like if someone handed you 300 dollars on a windy day and told you to hang onto them would you accidentally just let go or something? Modern phones are expensive, either upfront or in implied costs in your plans, the idea anyone could be so careless with them baffles me.

yeah this

similar to cameras and camera lenses, no on complains about the build quality of a ~$2000 lens if they dropped and damaged them because they'll admit it's their own fault for dropping and damaging them

same goes with cameras or lenses that's been exposed to sea water, they just own it up and protect the devices better if they are going to shoot in those environment instead of blaming the manufacturers

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just got my first smartphone three months ago, till then I was a durable flip phone having man for many years. I also bought a fancy expensive case that is supposed to protect it. Why doesn't the case have something that goes over the screen? The case is huge and bulky and heavy, but gives me no peace of mind, because the glass screen is still exposed. Am I stupid?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Mange Mite posted:

Lol if this makes any difference to your life

If you like sending out green texts instead of blue so be it but i have some semblance of standards not to look poor as poo poo and get laughed out of the room by hot sophisticated chicks

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I've thrown my plastic smartphone in a childish rage and it still didn't break. gently caress metal phones and their ridgid signal blocking glassbreaker bodies.

When I was doing construction work, I swapped out my sim and used a cheap flip phone in high-vis fluorescent pink. It had superior voice quality and didn't ever stop working despite the hell I put it through.

edit: gently caress grammar

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 30, 2016

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
My phone is just the abstract idea of communication, its not made of any kind of breakable matter but it gets better reception than my previous phone which was the vague childhood memory of a fever dream I once had.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

cheerfullydrab posted:

I just got my first smartphone three months ago, till then I was a durable flip phone having man for many years. I also bought a fancy expensive case that is supposed to protect it. Why doesn't the case have something that goes over the screen? The case is huge and bulky and heavy, but gives me no peace of mind, because the glass screen is still exposed. Am I stupid?

Screens usually break when you drop the phone on its edge / corner, so your case has you covered. Your exposed screen will be fine, the reason they're made of glass is to make them extremely difficult to scratch.

Or take off the case like a grownup and just don't drop it.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I set my Samsung s5 active or whatever down on a brick yesterday while working on a truck and when I went to ipick it up it had a long skinny crack jutting across the screen like a...like a.... uh... 90s stock chart for uh...cocain?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

8 track betamax posted:

I set my Samsung s5 active or whatever down on a brick yesterday while working on a truck and when I went to ipick it up it had a long skinny crack jutting across the screen like a...like a.... uh... 90s stock chart for uh...cocain?

Well that was pretty foolish of you wasn't it??

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I hate that my phone is made out of rear end. There's only one port on it :butt:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Wamdoodle posted:

I hate that my phone is made out of rear end. There's only one port on it :butt:

And the port's so loose that the charger won't stay in.

always use a charger with a flared base

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

"i keep dropping my $600 phone and breaking it. this is the phone's fault." -- some idiot goon

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I have a otter defender with a belt clip.

It keeps my phone safe and makes me look even more fashionable in public.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Skeleton Ape posted:

Adult's are mostly idiots who drop and break their phones frequently, and take no preventative methods to stop this from continual happening, again because they are idiots.

Don't do this. Be smarter then the average idiot.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Didn't really read the thread, but my iPhone 4 was built like a tank and it survived without a case up until I traded it toward a 6, which feels infinitely cheaper made.

Don't know much about Android phones, but I do know the Galaxy S6 I used as a loaner for a month last year crashed hard enough to delete the Google Play app. So I'll take my fragile iPhones over that. Plus when I see somebody using an a Android handset, I feel like they're gonna come up to me and start talking about Dawkins and Ron Paul. Literally never met an Android user that wasn't weird in some way.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I've dropped my 1st gen Moto G on the asphalt like a dozen times.

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot

Tuxedo Gin posted:

maybe take better care of your poo poo, retard

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
The iphpne 6 is kind of a pos as much as i liked the bigger screen it was super loving fragile

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
I took my phone (Galaxy S5) out of the case to clean both it and the case, dropped it maybe ten inches screen-down onto a concrete surface, and cracked the screen. After like a year of not dropping it while it was in the case.

I need a case that doesn't get dust in it for my next phone I guese

I'm a poor (phone was a gift) so I've just been using it with the cracked screen because who gives a poo poo? You don't notice the cracks, they're tiny.

I'd rather have a cracked screen than the need to feel superior about not having a cracked screen, goddamn

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Dr. Wang posted:

Didn't really read the thread, but my iPhone 4 was built like a tank and it survived without a case up until I traded it toward a 6, which feels infinitely cheaper made.

Don't know much about Android phones, but I do know the Galaxy S6 I used as a loaner for a month last year crashed hard enough to delete the Google Play app. So I'll take my fragile iPhones over that. Plus when I see somebody using an a Android handset, I feel like they're gonna come up to me and start talking about Dawkins and Ron Paul. Literally never met an Android user that wasn't weird in some way.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating

It is actually you who is the fringe autistic weirdo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lolling at this thread at people who can't even clean the screen, without damaging their expensive phones.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
where are you cleaning the screen where it falls 10 inches onto concrete. do you ahve one of thsoe stupid modern apartments with concrete counters and poo poo or are you squatting on the sidewalk or what

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

The Pony Incident posted:

*to the tune of Electric Ave.* I'm gonna put this phone under that table leg, to make it slightly higher
lol

I take excellent care of my phones, they still look like new 2 years after I buy them when the micro usb connecter goes to poo poo.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

subhuman filth posted:

Turn on your monitor

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lhXOgJ8ahA

Also neither Iphone 6 does well for screen drop test with both models getting screen cracking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGxlm82hWDM

etalian fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 30, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Skeleton Ape posted:

Screens usually break when you drop the phone on its edge / corner, so your case has you covered. Your exposed screen will be fine, the reason they're made of glass is to make them extremely difficult to scratch.

So if I'm standing on a concrete sidewalk and drop my phone, this thing that doesn't cover the screen in any way, but does have thick space age rubbery whatever over everything else, will somehow protect the screen from cracking or breaking?

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Im on a iphone 4s that my mom had before me. Its protected by a cheap rubber cover that I bought for 3$. it aint got no scratches or anything and I switched the battery in january and it runs like new since.
I got a iphone 5 last week from my dad but I think im gonna stick with my 4s.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Mange Mite posted:

where are you cleaning the screen where it falls 10 inches onto concrete. do you ahve one of thsoe stupid modern apartments with concrete counters and poo poo or are you squatting on the sidewalk or what

Sitting on a creeper in the garage. I purposefully sat on that instead of yhe much taller stool because it was low to the ground and I thought it meant accidents wouldn't cause breakage

What do I know tho I'm a ditzy lady

Dunning Krugerrand
Dec 23, 2015

purestrain pyrite

cheerfullydrab posted:

So if I'm standing on a concrete sidewalk and drop my phone, this thing that doesn't cover the screen in any way, but does have thick space age rubbery whatever over everything else, will somehow protect the screen from cracking or breaking?

If you have a case on it the only way you'll break the screen is if you drop it and it lands face down on something that directly impacts the glass. Otherwise the corners of the case will hit first and protect the front.

That said, you can get one of these to protect the glass.
http://smile.amazon.com/Tech-Armor-Samsung-Ballistic-Protector/dp/B00IGISUTG?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

I'm on my second one after I dropped my phone which landed screen down on a tiny pebble on the tile floor. Broke the protector, saved my glass.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

slinky triscuits posted:

That said, you can get one of these to protect the glass.
http://smile.amazon.com/Tech-Armor-Samsung-Ballistic-Protector/dp/B00IGISUTG?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

I'm on my second one after I dropped my phone which landed screen down on a tiny pebble on the tile floor. Broke the protector, saved my glass.

Yeah i'd recommend a solid glass protector as a cheap extra security, for multi hundred dollar investment it's worth a few bucks to keep it like that. It'd be like buying a nice bike and then using a chain lock with a dinky combo-lock, theres no reason not to go for a nice u-lock. Can't even tell its there like those old lovely sticky plastic ones and looks nice. I work out in the field a lot and about 5 days ago I was at a construction site and it fell out of my lovely hi-vis jacket and hit some gravel rocks which broke the protector and saved the screen so a replacement is coming tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

subhuman filth posted:

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating

I don't know where you live but iPhones outnumber Android here at least 4 to 1. Your link, which is broken btw, prob includes everyone in India and China who has a $30 Android phone running Gingerbread.

• Locked thread