Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Freak: +2 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +0 | Superior: +3 | Mundane: -1
Hopeless | Afraid | Insecure | Guilty | Angry
Potential: 2/5

I'm not looking at Megumi, but I am frowning at my ice cream cones, and my frown gets deeper the ruder and ruder Megumi gets - so much so that it's hard to feel very pleased to hear that the AI actually believes me now about the threat closing in on their world. If this is how the smartest and best humans are going to treat me, why should I even care if their stupid, worthless backwater planet gets taken over by Dramara? I don't see any very compelling arguments! Finally, I spin around to face her fully, glaring over my ice cream. "What's your problem Megumi? Why are you treating me like this? You're acting like I'm..." a number of Itarian words come to mind, but they wouldn't mean anything to someone like her, it takes a moment to find the right english one, "garbage, but I'm not, I'm a princess! What did I ever do to you??"

[13:28:44] <godfish> provoke Megumi
[13:28:47] <godfish> !r 2d6+3
[13:28:48] <Krysmbot> godfish, 6+3 = 9
[13:30:21] <godfish> OH WHOOPS I HAVE influence - 10
Tell Supernova what your problem is and add 1 team to the pool
or don't and mark another condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Freak: +1 | Danger: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: 0 | Mundane: +1

Supernova pauses, then whirls on me and gets in my face. Not exactly the kind of response I was hoping for. She demands to know why I'm treating her like this, what my problem is. I point my finger at her as anger overtakes me, "I - you - don't you - hrrrrgh!" I'm too angry even to talk. She kissed me then walked away! You don't just do that! You don't do that to me, you don't do that to someone like her, you don't do it to anyone! I take a step forward, my hand raising like I'm going to hit her...

But then I snake it behind her back and pull her into me, grasping tightly to the rough threads on her outfit. This close to her, I'm overwhelmed with the same emotions from earlier, but I grit my teeth and push them aside. I stand up on my tiptoes and give her as passionate a kiss I can muster, my other hand holding her cheek gently as I take it all in. For a split-second, it's like we're back on that rooftop, locked in that same embrace, embroiled in our passion, our bodies intertwined, our lips...

But we're not back on that roof - and that's not how the story goes. I break from the kiss just as quickly, pushing her softly away from me, then reach my hand up to my lips and wipe her taste from them. I look her in the eyes coldly, "Now, you know what it feels like to have someone walk away."

I turn on my heel and stomp from the room, eager to be literally anywhere else in our new base.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Freak: +2 | Danger: +3 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: -2
Potential: 3/5

OK for a moment there I was just enjoying watching them argue, I'll admit. Eating my blueberry cone as provocatively as I could while keeping my eyes on Megumi, generally being kinda smug. But then it go a bit too real, and then that little... She kissed her and walked away. That's too much. I hate this, I hate her, but if she drives her away by being...whatever the gently caress this is, I'd hate that even more. I crunch the last of the cone up, wipe my chin and walk up behind the slightly shell-shocked Supernova, putting my (big, weird-looking) hand on her (delicate and lovely) shoulder.

"Hey, uh...lemme go talk to her. Just...stay here, or go pick out a new room. Be careful, this place kinda gives me the creeps."

The layout makes it difficult to find Megumi straight away, but it's not that big and I guess she wasn't really hiding, considering I basically catch up with her in a corridor. I swallow a bunch of really hurtful things I want to say, lock down my impulse to grab and shake her like a rat, and open with:

"OK, first things first - I don't like you. Think you probably already know that. But you know what? As much as it burns me to say it, she does. If you haven't noticed the way she's been looking at you since we first met you're the dumbest genius I know, and I grew up in Maelstrom so that's saying something. She's putting everything on the line to stay here on Earth and I think it's because of you and I hate that and...just...go apologize to her. Work whatever this bullshit is out."

Provoke Megumi (Frustrating Megumi?): 2d6+2 10

If they do it, add a Team to the pool
If they don’t do it, they mark a condition

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

I don't get very far in my strut of anger. A rough hand grabs me and spins me around and there's Feral, looking bristly as ever and certainly choking back a few words about what she thinks of me. If only she knew the truth... I'm expecting to be chewed out but instead she... levels with me. Even confesses that she thinks Supe is only here for me... and that she hates me for that...

Part of me is impressed with the display, another part cowed by the fact that she's twice as big as me. And, of course, guilt at my role in all that. But when she tells me to go talk to Supe, of course that's what I now have to go do. Of course it's the right thing to do.

I just find doing the right thing hard sometimes, okay?

I do it, +1 Team

I stammer a bit, searching for a response, then just look her in the eye (which she's thankfully brought down to my level) and nod. I move to walk past her, then pause for a second. "You, uh, might hate me. And... that's okay, I get it. But," I say as I turn to look back at her, "I think you're pretty cool."

Megumi support Feral = 8
On a hit, they hear you: they mark potential, clear a condition, or shift Labels if they open up to you.

I give her a half-smile and a second to respond, then head off to talk to (confront?) Supernova.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 6, 2016

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Potential: 3+1/5

It's my turn to be confused when she just...agrees with me and says I'm cool. I mean, yeah, obviously I'm cool but it's weird to have someone like her say it. I don't want to break her momentum towards Supernova (except of course that I do) so I just flash a lame thumbs up and awkward grin.

"Uh...thanks?"

Oh my god that was the stupidest possible thing to do. I wait for her to turn the corner and sink down with my back to the wall. Why didn't I just let them fight so that I could swoop in afterwards? Why did I go after Megumi?

Why didn't those stupid old men cut out my capacity for love when they were building me as a weapon?

Taking the potential, the thing you learn from Feral opening up is that she craves recognition but is bad at receiving praise. Also she is a big sook.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

I give Feral a nod then take off back to the kitchen (and if Supernova isn't there, I just keep looking until I find her).

There she is... beautiful, mysterious, alien, exotic. Supernova. The team's leader... and if I try really hard, I can still imagine her lips on mine, her scent surrounding me, her tail snaking its way around my legs... but I force myself to suppress the emotions... again... and just look at her with a straight face and dispassionate eyes.

I enter the room, pause, then just lean against the wall, staring down at my shoes. I open my mouth to speak, then think better if it and close my mouth. I did just walk out on her, after all.

The silence is killing me. Oh god please say something!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

I start to take a half step back, a little alarmed, when Megumi makes like she's going to hit me - I doubt it'd hurt, I'm much sturdier than these aliens, and Megumi is not strong even by their standards, but getting hit isn't fitting of someone in my station - but then she pulls me in for a kiss, long and passionate, and I forget all that again. I'm back at the fight, tangled up with her, tasting the sweet scent of her lips on mine, her tongue. My tail moves up, the tip starting to curl along her wrist - and then she drops it, pushing me back, away! What does she think she's doing?! That isn't the same at all! I'm - I'm a princess! It's completely different, I shouldn't have kissed her in the first place, but it was a gift, a gesture, or something! This is different, she's trying to get to me, or... or... or SOMETHING!

I have no idea what the expression on my face is, but it can't be good, because evidently Feral felt the need to try and console me. This is outrageous - unconscionable! "th- thanks" My tail, which was still holding itself pointlessly in the air when Megumi had left it, curls briefly around her wrist as well, and I think I managed a small smile at her, before she left. What am I doing, letting these aliens see me like this! I'm a disgrace to my family, my people! Trying to follow Feral's advice, I'd made it into a hallway before coming to a dazed halt again.

What's that. Oh, Megumi's back. Just staring at me. I don't know if I'm happy to see her or not, but a large part of me wishes it was Feral here instead, at least she treated me well. Sullenly, I take another lick at my ice cream cone, which I was apparently still holding, and only just realized now. I'm not saying anything - anything I could say right now would be too pathetic for someone who'll be the Ruler of an inter-Galactic Empire to say, so I just stare back at her, slowly eating my ice cream, which my possibly be my only true friend on this planet. Except Feral, anyway.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

We stand in silence for a few moments, and I realize that she has no intention of talking. poo poo. Well... time to be the bigger person, I guess. Like that looks good on me...

I readjust one of the straps on my dress and blink, "Well... I guess I'll start off..." I stumble again, thinking furiously about what to say, "I, uh... well, you kissed me right? Like, completely out of nowhere. Like... completely catching me off guard!" The more I talk, the easier it comes out. "I didn't even know you... felt that way about me! And I... I trusted you... you're our leader!" My voice is starting to get louder, gently caress, I can't control this, "I trusted you and then you kissed me and then you just... you just..."

I'm blinking back tears now, desperately trying to hold it together, "You... you told me to forget that it happened. Like it was... payment for... I don't even know." I adjust my dress strap again, drat thing needs to be fitted better, "I... I felt your kiss and I thought... I dunno, that you liked me." I look her in the eyes, "Or even just... accepted me."

I look away, "It's so... It's easy for you - you grew up to be a hero, to be a leader," my shoulders are shaking now, "But I... I'm not... I'm not a good person. There's things in my past... you'd kill me if you knew the truth." Eyes, locked firmly on shoelaces. "I want to try to undo some of that, even if its impossible, even if... even if it kills me. I don't want to be that person ever again. I'd do anything to get rid of that. You'd do anything if you were in my shoes, right? Even if it felt wrong?"

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them what they would do something dark for and gain Influence over them

It's too much. It feels like my heart is breaking... like I'm over, forever. I cry, sobbing, sinking to the ground, "I t-thought... m-maybe, when you kissed me... t-thought that I was on the right track and then you just..." I bury my head in my arms. "F-forget it..."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I... I guess I can understand Megumi, after she lays it all out. She interpreted everything wrong, of course, but once I know how was seeing things, I can understand why she's upset. I open my mouth to snap at her, and tell her exactly how she was wrong, but I catch myself and stop. She's crying, a puddle on the ground. A mess. Megumi, strong, intelligent, regal Megumi. And she's saying she did something horrible, and I'd kill her - I don't know what she's talking about, but that's silly, no one like her could have done something that bad. I don't want to see her like this. I shouldn't have to see her like this - but I did this. And a princess needs to be able to help people less fortunate than her - which is everyone.

I walk forward, and when I'm right in front of her, I squat down, putting our heads at almost the same level. "Megumi..." Reaching out, I put my hands on either side of her head - why doesn't she have horns, ugh - and lift her head up, so she has to look me in the eyes. And then I kiss her again, slowly and tenderly, not letting my desires get in the way. I break it off after a moment, and sigh. "Megumi... Of course I liked you. But I'm a princess, I'll be the next Empress - I can't just get involved with whoever I want! I kissed you because I wanted to, and I walked away because I had to. Don't you understand? I thought... I thought that if you thought it was just a reward - a Princess can reward people with a kiss - then you wouldn't think it was anything more, and I wouldn't hurt you when it couldn't be anything more!" Now I have tears in my eyes! I sniff, and wipe them away angrily with my sleeve. "The rules for this sort of thing are very strict, I can't kiss someone just because I think they're beautiful and smart and graceful. It's not allowed!"

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, they tell you what you should do to fit in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark potential if you do.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Supernova whispers my name, then I can feel her hands touching my cheek, lifting my head up off my arms. I look up at her eyes - bright, bold, exotic - and melt as she leans in and gives me a kiss. But - it's different from our first and second - there's no aggression, no struggle for power, no excitement - just... softness and warmth and care. She likes me! I don't know how I know I can just... feel it. Clearer than before. Somewhere deep inside me... something breaks. And I just let go into the kiss, kissing Supernova back, attempting to convey the same warmth and softness.

The embrace ends after a moment, and Supernova pulls back - but not in a form of rejection. Her eyes look strained and weary, as if she's finally feeling the weight of something very heavy. She signs and starts to explain... how she's royalty, how she can't act that way... how she thinks I'm beautiful and smart and graceful...

I blush suddenly, color spreading to my cheeks uncontrollably. I didn't... I had no idea she felt this way about me! And... I mean, I definitely like her back and respect her and trust her but... she's talking about me like... like she loves me. The royal heir to an intergalactic throne is in love with... me?

"Ha!" I suddenly blurt out with a chortle, followed quickly by slapping a hand over my mouth as I fight to contain more laughter. My eyes are swelling up with tears and my chest is heaving and I can't help it anymore - I laugh, shaking my head, falling onto the floor. I can barely contain this feeling... whatever it is. It's just so crazy that somebody like her would end up falling for somebody like me. What a cruel twist of fate or whatever you want to call it. A few seconds pass and I take a few deep breaths to regain control.

"You.... you think that... I'm beautiful?" I say, between giggles. "You really feel that way about me?" I shake my head, "You've got... you're a princess! I'm like an earthworm! Of course you like me!" I shout sarcastically. What cruel, loving irony.

Of course, she probably thinks I'm making fun of her. I look up at my stunning team captain, "Look... Supe... if that's your problem - how your people or whatever interpret your feelings or something - you've got it all wrong. I don't know who told you that you couldn't kiss people and just have it be that instead of something regal like a gift or a payment or something. But they were wrong - kisses should be... they should be given freely and enjoyed. And... well, I mean, I definitely enjoyed ours."

I shake my head then start to stand up while continuing, "You... look - you're here. Planet Earth, right? This isn't some royal court where you're surrounded by elites and servants and whatever. There's nobody here spying on you and reporting back, right? And... you being here is already beyond what you're allowed, right? So maybe sticking to that one archaic rule isn't getting you anywhere anyway." I sigh, "If you want to be here... be here. Be on Planet Earth. Be... who you want to be. And I'm not telling you that you need to keep kissing me or date me or whatever, but... be who you want be, whatever that means to you."

I blink a bit, "And if that means kissing me, well... you know where to find me."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

She... she's laughing at me? If I wasn't already so tired and drained by this conversation, I'd probably have been furious, but instead I'm mostly just confused. What was funny about that?! She is beautiful. But before I can really get into it, she starts to explain. First, I should make it clear that she's obviously wrong - I know how kisses should be, and they are like that, back home. But it's different for an heiress, I'll be able to enjoy kisses once I've picked someone I like, who is also suitable. And I really doubt Megumi, or anyone else from Earth is.

That said... the idea is intriguing. No one hear to watch me... I could kiss her, for now at least. It'd be a disgraceful neglect of my duty as a princess to be sure, but... I could do it, no one would ever need to know back home, and these are supposed to be my rebellious years, right? I'm not exactly violating the rules by being here, but I'm not really following them either. My lips slowly twitch up into a smile, and I wipe my eyes again. "I..." Still, I'm not sure. "I'll need to think about this... But thank you for the idea." I stand up, then after a brief pause, awkwardly extend my hand to help her up as well. "I think you wanted to tell the team something? Did anyone else get here yet?"

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

She smiles a little as her brain processes my words... and I can't help but blush a little more and smile back. Of course, then she ruins it by saying that she needs to think about it - just kiss me already!

Fine. Whatever. I'm over it. Bye Felicia.

Oh yeah, that other thing.

"Dramara! And... the Raiser!" I shout in response. I quickly grab her and start running down the hall, dragging Supernova behind me, rapidly trying to explain, "Your Dramara - baddie evil worm thingies that take over peoples' brains? Or something like that? And some are monsters?" This isn't very convincing. "They are apparently related to the Raiser! He's... it's some sort of... intergalactic power broker... I can't... explain right now." Yes. Very convincing. "We need to inform the group and... do something! I don't know!"

I suddenly stop, grabbing Supernova again, looking her dead in the eyes. "Look - whatever you know about the Dramara, I'll believe it, okay? I trust you one hundred percent. I- We need to stop them." Oh god, fighting the urge to kiss her. "We need to find Feral! And the others!"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I let out a small, very undignified yelp as suddenly my gracious gesture is turned into me getting dragged off down the hallway. At least I can fly, so after a moment of complete unbalance, I just let myself float as I'm getting pulled. "The who?! He's a what?" There's some intergalactic thing behind the Dramara? Wait... if that's true... That's HUGE! No wonder we were never able to ever defeat them for good, if something that can create them is out there, bringing a new swarm into existence whenever we think we've finally finished them off... "I-how did you find this out?! I need to let the empire know about this! What else can you tell me about this Raiser thing?" Now I'm getting excited! "You saw Feral last, I don't know where anyone else is though!"

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Supernova & Megumi

Well with that confusing and emotional situation resolved (for now). Megumi drags Supernova deeper into the base. Looking for Feral. The base is shockingly huge. Like this place shouldn't be as large as it is. Nor as fancy. There's marble, and red velvet, and gold gilding on everything. It looks all so ornate, and palatial. Thankfully though there didn't seem to be too many ways to go.

That is ignoring the fact that the place seemed a lot less fancy not moments before. Almost like the whole structure changed.

Feral

Sitting with your back to the wall, feeling sorry for yourself and conflicted. You notice your phone buzz again.

quote:

'Oh, you're going to be ripped. Ripped to shreds that is. Seriously, the last person to get this cocky about fighting me ended up dead. Hmmm, maybe I'll go easy on you... IF you bring snacks.
Sprocket.

Is that her name? Sprocket? Odd name, well, not that you can say anything. You glace up from your phone casually and the whole place begins to change, taking on a incredible almost alien technological look.

A second text hits you not a couple of seconds later.

quote:

What are you doing there...?

Huh? What does she mean by that? Looking around you notice a camera has popped down from the ceiling and watching you.
-buzz buzz-

quote:

Yes, you, sitting right there. What are you doing in that place? How did you even find it?

Well, that's interesting. Sprocket seems to know about this place, and is surprised that you're there. Seems like she can control the tech here too. Perhaps she bares some connection to it. Do you think you could use this chance to get a little more info on her? Or do you find this new development worrying?

Anyway, Megumi and Supernova come round the corner. You catch some snatch of conversation. Something about a 'riser' and 'parasites'. Well. Probably important.

Megumi & Supernova

Ah, wonderful, there's Feral. That was easy enough. Now as for the rest of your team...

How are you going to contact them? Do you have their phone numbers? Or perhaps there's someone you can reach out to to get a message out? What do you do?

En Garde

Cuttie gives you a serious look. "Hey, we all have to start off somewhere. Some of the bravest people I know started out like kids in a haunted house. It's through practice, perseverance, and hard work that you can over come that fear. You'll do it, and along the way you'll work out how best to overcome situations you're not equiped for. Even those of us lucky enough to have powers need to work on stuff like that." She looked serious for a moment. Then smiles. "Sorry, sometimes I can't help but trying to play at mentor." She listens with interest to your discription of the base. She nods. "Sounds good to me! Lead on! Least I can do for the chat is try and show you a few tricks. If you'd like it?"

Sounds like Cuttie is happy to follow you to your new home! How do you feel about this? Is it too much attention, or are you happy to show her? What do you do?

Getterman Pink

Athena gives Lex a stern look before starting. "The Shade Council are a group that could be described as a conspiracy. They operate as a crime syndicate. Taking on research and work on behalf of other super villeins for a price. They've got agents everywhere, and their spies are in positions of power. They've recently been moving into the City. Looking for the newest thing they can sell for the highest price. The Ant attack you were dealing with? Started by their handy work." She takes a sip of her drink. Lex continues.

"They're arseholes, willing to do anything they can to get results. Lives mean nothing to them. Hell, some of the biggest incidents in the past few years have been because of them. People like us have been stopping them. But it's not enough. They're spreading like a cockroach infestation. Unless we clear them out, they're establish a foothold and then we can kiss the city goodbye! You think things are crazy now? Wait until the whole place is covered in the worst that mad science can come up with."

"The worst part is that they likely have spies installed in the A.I. as well." Athena adds.

"Point being, we need help for supers who're so new, so unknown, that the Shade haven't had time to infiltrate them. You and yours basically." Lex stops talking long enough to take a big gulp, emptying her drink. "They'll have agents, and bases set up. I'll continue to hit them when I find them. But we need more heads, more hands. If you find any, take them down, loot whatever Intel you can, keep hitting them. Even they've got to have a limit to their resources. If we can hit them enough we can convince them it's not work setting up here. That's the plan at the moment. At least until we can learn more. Something's got the be bringing them here."

"Or to put that more simply. Find the bad guys, stop the bad guys, save the city." Athena finishes "Any more questions?"

Wow, they sound like bad guys, real serious bad guys! Any other questions? What do you do?

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

I wince as Supernova keeps asking questions. Well... better answer them as we sprint down the hallway! "The Raiser... it's... hard to explain..." At least, hard without spilling that it's turned my family evil and me almost along with it. "It's some sort of super-powerful entity, I don't even know if it exists in this dimension or on some greater level, but..." I gulp. "It's bad. Like it wants dominion over the entire universe. And these Dramara are just one of its plots for Earth... That's all I really know. I've been trying to research it but... it's hard without access to higher-level systems. That's part of the reason I joined up."

Hopefully that's enough for now. I whirl as we reach an intersection... Wait... this all looks different. Where are we? Large, colossal pillars line the walls, ornamented in silver patterns and lit by golden hues. "Where... where are we?" I spin around, trying to identify where we are... oh hey! "Feral!"

I rush to the girl, dragging Supe behind me, "We need to get the rest of the team - there's something big going on... no time to explain. Do you know if Pink or En Garde got here yet?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Potential: 4/5

I'm quietly banging the back of my head on the wall in silent despair when the text comes through. Mystery girl has a name, huh? At least I've got that to look forward too. I message back:

quote:

I could kinda use a little total bodily obliteration right now, but I'll bring snacks anyway.

And then the walls and things start changing without any kind of prompting, which isn't loving freaky at all! Seriously, where did Megumi find this place? Wherever she found it Sprocket seems to have been ahead of her, which is kind of disconcerting given how little any of us know about her. I shrug at the camera and text back:

quote:

New team HQ, I guess. Our resident genius said the old base was compromised and moved us here. I don't like it. Why, you know the place?

Man, if Supernova and Megumi find out that she's already got eyes on this place they are going to get so mad...eh, let's keep it a secret for now. Speak of the devil - I assume a forcibly casual stance and expression. I'm just hanging out in this bizarre featureless corridor, chilling.

"Uh...I haven't seen them. We left En Garde to handle the media, dunno about the other two. Are you two...alright?"

Hurts to ask but I gotta know it was worth it.

• Locked thread