Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I watched the movie version of From Hell and always wanted to rewatch/read the comic. Maybe this is the year!

Uhhh.. wtf. The Walking Dead comic is over?

I feel like I woke up from a 5 year sleep. This must be what it's like when people go "oh there's a new Star Wars/Marvel/Nerdbait?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Guy Ritchie's first Sherlock Holmes movie felt like it owed a fair bit to From Hell.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Guy Ritchie's first Sherlock Holmes movie felt like it owed a fair bit to From Hell.

Maybe, there's also multiple tv movies and books where Sherlock Holmes takes on Jack the Ripper that I'm sure Guy Ritchie saw or read when he was 12.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

Maybe, there's also multiple tv movies and books where Sherlock Holmes takes on Jack the Ripper that I'm sure Guy Ritchie saw or read when he was 12.

Here's a good video about the history of depictions of Jack the Ripper in fiction, for the interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-3gmyEluKk

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i dont remember anything about the ritchie movie except for that one scene where he does a slo-mo slap on a guy. was it about jack the ripper?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

i dont remember anything about the ritchie movie except for that one scene where he does a slo-mo slap on a guy. was it about jack the ripper?

No it was about a completely different and fictional serial killer from the end of the 19th century.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The occult stuff in Ritchie's film felt like it bore more than a passing relation, and plenty of film critics noted the similarity to the aesthetic of From Hell's adaption.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The occult stuff in Ritchie's film felt like it bore more than a passing relation, and plenty of film critics noted the similarity to the aesthetic of From Hell's adaption.

Pretend I did the old, stale joke about denying the existence of a really terrible movie move with the Johnny Depp From Hell.

I'm reading Sandman Mystery Theatre at the moment after years of putting it off. After one story arc, I'm not really sure if it's grabbing me. I don't hate it, but I'm not really finding it enthralling either. The mystery in that first arc wasn't great, either; it was convoluted to the point that I wasn't certain why anyone was doing anything at any given moment in the arc.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I would like to read a single review that mentions the similarities.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I would like to read a single review that mentions the similarities.

Mark Kermode posted:

[Ritchie] wisely reins in the irritating visual tics of yore, looking instead toward the shadowy pantomime of Hammer to evoke a smoggy netherworld which is one part Conan Doyle's London to two parts Hughes brothers' From Hell.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lmao

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1214581207083569154

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'd kill for a From Hell with a letterer or computer typeface going back and redoing all the text. I have such a hard time reading that scraggly handwriting that I can never get into the god damned story.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Madkal posted:

I first hear about Blake from Batman: TAS which had an episode titled Tyger Tiger, and quotes the poem in the episode itself. I thought I was so smart for knowing that poem (thanks to the show). Also, did you know that you can't read in dreams?

There's a section in Uncharted 3 that, while basically homaging the lost-in-the-desert sequence from Lawrence of Arabia, has the antagonist recite some of T.S. Eliot's "The Waste Land," without attribution.

I have often wondered how many students in the intervening years have gotten in trouble with an English teacher for not realizing it was a quotation.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Anyone who likes Campbell's art or at least finds it tolerable should check out The Years Have Pants, a collection of his basically autobiographical Alec comics. He's actually a super good writer and covers lots of interesting topics, including numerous encounters with Moore and Gaiman.

If that one is too much of a commitment, at least read After the Snooter which is included in Years but is pretty accessible on its own.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

A Strange Aeon posted:

Anyone who likes Campbell's art or at least finds it tolerable should check out The Years Have Pants, a collection of his basically autobiographical Alec comics. He's actually a super good writer and covers lots of interesting topics, including numerous encounters with Moore and Gaiman.

If that one is too much of a commitment, at least read After the Snooter which is included in Years but is pretty accessible on its own.

I have that and keep meaning to try again but the beginning always bounced me off, although now that I've read Puma Blues I think I've built a temporary tolerance to navel gazing.

Another option would be Bacchus which is now collected in two big books.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/1215730008213245954?s=20

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Compiled from https://www.comic-con.org/awards/eisner-award-recipients-2010-present:

quote:

Past Eisner Award recipients for Best Educational/Academic/Scholarly Work:

2012 Eisner Awards (for works published in 2011)
Best Educational/Academic Work (tie): Cartooning: Philosophy & Practice, by Ivan Brunetti (Yale University Press) and Hand of Fire: The Comics Art of Jack Kirby, by Charles Hatfield (University Press of Mississippi)

2013 Eisner Awards (for works published in 2012)
Best Educational/Academic Work: Lynda Barry: Girlhood Through the Looking Glass, by Susan E. Kirtley (University Press of Mississippi)

2014 Eisner Awards (for work published in 2013)
Best Scholarly/Academic Work: Black Comics: Politics of Race and Representation, edited by Sheena C. Howard and Ronald L. Jackson II (Bloomsbury)

2015 Eisner Awards (for work published in 2014)
Best Scholarly/Academic Work: Graphic Details: Jewish Women’s Confessional Comics in Essays and Interviews, edited by Sarah Lightman (McFarland)

2016 Eisner Awards (for works published in 2015)
Best Academic/Scholarly Work: The Blacker the Ink: Constructions of Black Identity in Comics and Sequential Art, edited by Frances Gateward and John Jennings (Rutgers)

2017 Eisner Awards (for works published in 2016)
Best Academic/Scholarly Work: Superwomen: Gender, Power, and Representation, by Carolyn Cocca (Bloomsbury)

2018 Eisner Awards (for works published in 2017)
Best Academic/Scholarly Work: Latinx Superheroes in Mainstream Comics, by Frederick Luis Aldama (University of Arizona Press)

2019 Eisner Awards (for works published in 2018)
Best Academic/Scholarly Work: Sweet Little C*nt: The Graphic Work of Julie Doucet, by Anne Elizabeth Moore (Uncivilized Books)

Notice anything? All the past winners have been monographs, or in other words, books.

Last year, my 56-page scholarly article about Daredevil was published in a periodical law review. That means this is probably the only year in my life I'll ever have created something that is eligible for an Eisner Award, so I'm going to submit it for consideration in the Best Academic/Scholarly Work category. If I'm lucky, the Eisner Awards Nominating Committee will take a publication from a periodical seriously alongside all these monographs.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 11, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yes! Do it!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Compiled from https://www.comic-con.org/awards/eisner-award-recipients-2010-present:

Notice anything? All the past winners have been monographs, or in other words, books.

Last year, my 56-page scholarly article about Daredevil was published in a periodical law review. That means this is probably the only year in my life I'll ever have created something that is eligible for an Eisner Award, so I'm going to submit it for consideration in the Best Academic/Scholarly Work category. If I'm lucky, the Eisner Awards Nominating Committee will take a publication from a periodical seriously alongside all these monographs.

Hell yeah! Do it!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
If you win I want a special mention in your acceptance speech. Or at least thank all goons everywhere.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My new pet IW/Endgame theory is that Strange picked a timeline where both Thanos and Tony die because every timeline he saw where they won, Stark wound up doing something else down the road to end the world instead.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Retro Futurist posted:

My new pet IW/Endgame theory is that Strange picked a timeline where both Thanos and Tony die because every timeline he saw where they won, Stark wound up doing something else down the road to end the world instead.

I mean...I could see it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

While you're destined to lose to someone's published thesis about minority representation in comics, it really is an honor to be nominated.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

While you're destined to lose to someone's published thesis about minority representation in comics, it really is an honor to be nominated.

A lot of comics scholarship is about exploring and showcasing minority creators because it's a really glaring gap in the records that does urgently need to be filled (a lot of them are also anthologies-- I wonder if that's the more determinative factor, allowing a bunch of contributors to be honored at once?). I don't think it's worth being snarky about-- yeah, that's what a lot of the Eisner winners are about, but it's important work and the texts I know from that list are excellent.

Still rooting for BBVL though!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Archyduchess posted:

A lot of comics scholarship is about exploring and showcasing minority creators because it's a really glaring gap in the records that does urgently need to be filled (a lot of them are also anthologies-- I wonder if that's the more determinative factor, allowing a bunch of contributors to be honored at once?). I don't think it's worth being snarky about-- yeah, that's what a lot of the Eisner winners are about, but it's important work and the texts I know from that list are excellent.

I'm not complaining at all about that since it is a pretty big problem. I was just noting that they have a definite type that they want for winners.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I'm not complaining at all about that since it is a pretty big problem. I was just noting that they have a definite type that they want for winners.

Sorry, just touchy about it! I do think it's encouraging that the last few years have opened up a little from the anthology. That Anne Elizabeth Moore book in particular is not only in theory a single-artist study but also really really weird.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Archyduchess posted:

Sorry, just touchy about it! I do think it's encouraging that the last few years have opened up a little from the anthology. That Anne Elizabeth Moore book in particular is not only in theory a single-artist study but also really really weird.

It's fine. I thought that someone might take the wrong way when I posted, but I also thought it was a bit amusing that the category was so narrowly focused and went for it. Honestly, I probably should read some of those books since I'm positive they would be illuminating.

Edit: I went ahead and ordered Latinx Superheroes in Mainstream Comics since that's a topic I haven't seen anyone do anything more than a cursory touch on.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 11, 2020

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Thanks for your interest and support, folks. I was up late composing the perfect(?) cover letter, and I mailed it out today!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm super excited for you!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Good luck!!!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Thanks for your interest and support, folks. I was up late composing the perfect(?) cover letter, and I mailed it out today!

I'm gonna use this depleted cosmic cube to wish you get the nom.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I picked up a couple books last night with Christmas gift cards.

Super looking forward to digging into the Junji Ito stuff (I grabbed Fragments of Horror and Uzemeki), but what I’m reading first is a book called Bizarre Romance by Audrey Niffenegger and Eddie Campbell. Apparently they’re married, and this is a collaboration of weird little short stories in mostly graphic form. The first story is about a couple that gets married but the guy needs his wife to leave him alone from 6-8 pm every Thursday, and is the reason I bought the book. It’s adorable and I highly recommend that story in particular, though I like the weirdness from the rest of the book too.

Not sure if the link works, but the whole first story is up on google books preview of the book: https://books.google.ca/books?id=Vs1FDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA1&source=kp_read_button&redir_esc=y

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Sheldon Vella has a sale on his original art over at Cadence, everything 30% off with all proceeds going to fire relief in Australia. He has pages from the Dazzler/Daughters of the Dragon short we did ages ago (my first Marvel job!) as well as some other cool stuff!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
New chat thread just in case we are still doing the quarterly thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Madkal posted:

New chat thread just in case we are still doing the quarterly thing.

Thank you, I was just thinking that this one was looking a bit long in the tooth. It's been a hell of a long quarter.