Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

KKKLIP ART posted:

Also, is there a halfway decent beginners bike shoe? I think I'm going to get some 105 pedals.

Try and go to a store in person to try shoes on. They should be a bit wide in the toe box when you’re just standing there, because the forward part of your foot splays out when you’re riding.

I got some Shimano shoes on sale from REI and put up with my toes and forward foot being squished together for years, because I didn’t try them on before buying them. Don’t be like me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

KKKLIP ART posted:

Also, is there a halfway decent beginners bike shoe? I think I'm going to get some 105 pedals.

For a beginner, first clipless shoe, unless you’re ultra confident you’re gonna do exclusively road rides only, no off road, commuting or needing to walk anywhere, everyone would tell you to get SPD (mtb) clipless shoes & pedals.

PD-M540 are perfect double sided clipless SPD pedals and are cheap.

For shoes it totally depends what fits you. There are lots of reasonable options for narrow feet, few for big or wide feet without spending big money.

There are people who fit the DHB lace up shoes, find them decent at £20 on sale and even if they die after a year it’s easily worth it.

There are people with wide feet that can only wear £250+ Lake shoes.

I’d go for SPD shoes from Shimano maybe for a beginner, XC5 or similar. Their current shoes are a bit narrow for me but I think they’re all quality and wear very well.

I really rate Specialized shoes too, though quickly become pricy if you want a boa dial or a nice colour.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

KKKLIP ART posted:

I really like these:

https://www.fizik.com/us_en/tempo-overcurve-r4.html

You can find them for more like $150 at various places online. Hard to find a boa shoe with micro adjust for both tighten and loosen at that kinda price (most are just tighten).

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If not the 105 pedals, how do folks feel about the wahoos? I like that they are bi-directional clipping.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

If not the 105 pedals, how do folks feel about the wahoos? I like that they are bi-directional clipping.

I'm a huge oaf, so being able to just slap my foot down in the pedal in any orientation and still clip in quickly is a huge plus.

I feel that the quality has dropped off a bit since Wahoo bought them, though. My last pair of cleats only lasted a year before a metal bit snapped off of one of them and left the spring too loose to unclip without a lot of movement.

The strange thing is that the cleat that broke was on my non-dominant foot, so it wasn't even like the problem was overuse.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I really liked them apart from the experience I had with several pairs of cleats where if I stood on sand, mud or grass for even a minute I had a hard time clipping in

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Am I a bad person for buying a mint 80s Wisconsin made trek 560 and putting a carbon disc fork on it, so long as I save the old hardware

I never really wanted a trek but after my gt edge and Fuji Club got stolen im running out of quality horizontal top tube bikes on the used market but I really love the ride of carbon, not to mention the weight savings

Ok for $300 more I found a pretty good condition Eddie Merckx (sp?) corsa extra in 7-11 livery (red with a partially green down tube) and it's got period correct dura ace AND it's got the Columbus SLX tubing which... Ought to get it under 20lbs? Or drat close

Paint has a couple of extremely minor chips, probably can fix with touch up paint. Chrome is in great shape. It's the correct 56cm frame size I prefer

Probably going to pull the trigger on that

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Ok for $300 more I found a pretty good condition Eddie Merckx (sp?) corsa extra in 7-11 livery (red with a partially green down tube) and it's got period correct dura ace AND it's got the Columbus SLX tubing which... Ought to get it under 20lbs? Or drat close

Paint has a couple of extremely minor chips, probably can fix with touch up paint. Chrome is in great shape. It's the correct 56cm frame size I prefer

This sounds amazing

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Hadlock posted:

I think I saw the same one on CL. Please buy it so I don't have to. I definitely don't need another bike.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

serious gaylord posted:

Sounds like rapha are in the poo poo.

All these companies going pop right now.

Hope I'm not bringing up a sore topic - wore your Sunday Club bibs today. They've lasted well, for nearly three years now (I tend to only wear them on Sundays though lol)

Not gonna post me in bibs right now but here's a lake:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Angryhead posted:

Hope I'm not bringing up a sore topic - wore your Sunday Club bibs today. They've lasted well, for nearly three years now (I tend to only wear them on Sundays though lol)

Not gonna post me in bibs right now but here's a lake:

Its not sore, it didnt work out and thats, you know ok. I still got to do something I never, ever thought I could have done. I had world track champions and olympic gold medalists in kits I made which is something I'll never forget and nothing can ever take that away.

You guys were absolute champions, especially during covid and i've sold like 85% of what I made give or take a few sizes in the less popular styles and thats also something most people that tried this cant say.

I'd absolutely do it again, especially now most kits have gone back to being 2 colour boring rear end poo poo again because its safe.

I've also just done an Imperial century on zwift since it wont stop bloody raining in the UK and im running out of time to get my miles in before Chase the sun. Would not recommend.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

serious gaylord posted:

Its not sore, it didnt work out and thats, you know ok. I still got to do something I never, ever thought I could have done. I had world track champions and olympic gold medalists in kits I made which is something I'll never forget and nothing can ever take that away.

You guys were absolute champions, especially during covid and i've sold like 85% of what I made give or take a few sizes in the less popular styles and thats also something most people that tried this cant say.

I'd absolutely do it again, especially now most kits have gone back to being 2 colour boring rear end poo poo again because its safe.

I've also just done an Imperial century on zwift since it wont stop bloody raining in the UK and im running out of time to get my miles in before Chase the sun. Would not recommend.
Well I'm glad to hear that :) The bibs (and shirt) were the first pair I ever bought so there's a special place in my heart for them. If by chance you happen to have anything left in Medium let me know.

That's a looong ride on Zwift! I happily rode the trainer over this winter and even did 4h rides and enjoyed it but as soon as I headed back outside something broke in me again and I've stuck to outside, even on rainy and lightly snowy days.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Curious how worried of rust I should be with a waxed chain. I did a slightly muddy ride, where the brakes, forks etc got pretty caked but the chain stayed dry.
When I rinsed the bike after I got a bit paranoid and ended up taking a hair dryer to the chain. Should a wipe down with a cloth to get the excess water off before storing it some place dry be adequate?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

you could just be like me and ride through mud season without washing your bike once

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

its the washing too much that's gonna rust everything

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

always dry a chain after riding in the wet imo

it'll probably still rust but only superficially and wear off the next ride

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Today I learned that Shimano no longer provides brake bleed blocks with their drop bar brakes and apparently GRX use a special size. I have a collection of MTB bleed blocks and none of them fit. What a lovely move Shimano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Math You posted:

Curious how worried of rust I should be with a waxed chain.

Just ride it. Don’t store the bike in the damp, but don’t sweat itx

The chain will get loud and encourage you to throw it in the pot long before it becomes compromised by rust.