Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I've been getting back into it after breaking my collarbone before Christmas. I've been on a few rides but hit some hills today and man I am still very unfit. It was nice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The sheer unadulterated hugeness of your bike gets me every time

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

I've been getting back into it after breaking my collarbone before Christmas. I've been on a few rides but hit some hills today and man I am still very unfit. It was nice though.

Broken collarbone buddy :hfive:

I'm on week 6. Any advice for getting back to riding? Or is it just a waiting and PT game?

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Slavvy posted:

The sheer unadulterated hugeness of your bike gets me every time

You know what they say about guys with big bikes...

Big shoes

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Broken collarbone buddy :hfive:

I'm on week 6. Any advice for getting back to riding? Or is it just a waiting and PT game?

Mostly a waiting game, my break was super clean but I still didn't do any riding until week 8 because it still hurt a bit and you're way more likely to re-break it if you fall again too soon.
I mainly just yeah went hard on the physio, kept up with my back exercises, and then started out with short rides with lots of stretching before and after. It gets better! It's nearly 3 months now and I have some pain still after a a ride or doing too much gardening or whatever but I'm also 40 so everything hurts anyway but I can ride my bike again which makes me so happy:)

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

This drink is like somebody's memory of a grapefruit, and the memory is fading.
Here's the top of La Sal Mountain Loop Road:

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mostly a waiting game, my break was super clean but I still didn't do any riding until week 8 because it still hurt a bit and you're way more likely to re-break it if you fall again too soon.
I mainly just yeah went hard on the physio, kept up with my back exercises, and then started out with short rides with lots of stretching before and after. It gets better! It's nearly 3 months now and I have some pain still after a a ride or doing too much gardening or whatever but I'm also 40 so everything hurts anyway but I can ride my bike again which makes me so happy:)

I'm almost 40 too so yeah everything kinda hurts anyway but good to know PT helps. My break was also very clean, I almost didn't go to the doctor because it didn't hurt that bad.

Last time I crashed (dipshit cut a blind corner on a trail and we collided head on) I fractured my scapula and I didn't trust that shoulder for months, so I'm guessing this will be similar.

The weather here is hinting that spring is coming so it's going to get harder and harder to abstain from riding soon.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I should have just ridden my bike with the day off and all this great weather, but I have more days off this week, the weather will be good for two of them at least, and I honestly had some stuff around the house and garage to do that required good weather. One of those things was applying the teal bar tape to Copperteal, my SBC 4130 All Road.

Wrapping the bars wasn't as hard as I thought it might be--shout out to the Goon who provided the Park Tools YouTube link!--but the bar end is what gave me trouble. I got it looking OK, but the side I did first isn't as perfect as I'd like it to be. SBC included two strips of finishing tape, and I tried to use it, but it immediately failed. So, I grabbed my trusty, 30-year-old roll of fancy electrical tape, and that got the job done.

The stock bar tape was wrapped using the "figure-8" method folks were talking about earlier. I did it the way they show you in the Park Tools video instead, which is easier, a little neater, and only requires a little bit of tape around the bottom of the brifter.

And with that, I think I've just about finished with this colored nonsense. I really like how this looks, and while I was planning on taking my Contend AR out tomorrow, I think I'll take this one instead. I had toyed around with the idea of spraying the rack teal, but that's a lot of work, and I think that would be just a bit too much. I wasn't sure about the bar tape, honestly; it could have been too much, too, and I wasn't sure if I'd really like it. But, bar tape that looks like rear end is an easy problem to fix. De-teal-ing a Topeak rear rack is a bit more of a pain in the butt.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I fractured my scapula
Ouch that sounds terrible, would you say worse than collarbone or about the same?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ouch that sounds terrible, would you say worse than collarbone or about the same?

Much, much worse. I almost didn't go to the doctor for the collarbone, I almost passed out at the scene with the scapula.

Luckily a very nice passerby saw what happened and stayed with me and the dumbass who I collided with until we were both in good enough shape to walk away.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Much, much worse. I almost didn't go to the doctor for the collarbone, I almost passed out at the scene with the scapula.

Luckily a very nice passerby saw what happened and stayed with me and the dumbass who I collided with until we were both in good enough shape to walk away.

How long was the recovery?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

How long was the recovery?

I think it was about 8-10 weeks before I tried riding again. It didn't stop aching for awhile after that but the doctor and PT were encouraging me to ramp into loading that arm with more than just daily tasks. It was another 3-4 months before it felt normal strength, but even now after ~20 months it gets aggravated more easily.

With the collarbone now I think I need to get a full on shoulder strengthening routine once the bone is healed.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
That sounds pretty lovely, 3 to 4 months is a long time.
I was just super stoked I didn't concuss myself, I've had two already and feel like I lost brain power (lol I still post on these forums) so a third would probably have been pretty bad. Plus I was with my 9 year old and he was quite upset seeing me wipe out like that so thinking about having to try to have him get us home while my brain is rebooting is a bit scary.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Glad you stuck to just breaking bones, TBIs are no joke.

And glad MAMIL Jr didn't get too traumatized.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
New frame got here the other day and i finished putting it together

Kind of escalated quickly from "it'd be cool to put a 12 speed axs group on my jake" to finding a super discounted oem overstock group and deciding that I should just get a new frame too and then sell my complete bike and i'd practically make money on the deal.

It's an orbea terra, with myO custom paint, sram red, power meter, nox rims to 240 hubs, easton ec90ax bars, zipp carbon post, xt pedals, pro stealth saddle. I already had the wheels, bars, seat, pedals, etc, but then needed to buy freehubs and the right stem and a bigger chainring and bar tape and new tires and all that stuff.

has a snack box in the frame plus big tire clearance. the 40 pirellis measure more like 43-44 on these wheels and there is a ton of room. Orbea says 48 as max measured tire size.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

It's almost spring time and the weather is pretty lovely in Seattle rn, so I'm enjoying quality time on my fair weather road biek.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bicievino posted:

It's almost spring time and the weather is pretty lovely in Seattle rn, so I'm enjoying quality time on my fair weather road biek.

Magnificent

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

bicievino posted:

That bike only rides into headwinds

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

frogbs posted:

The Brompton has been WAY more fun than I thought it would be. I know i've now entered the old man, pony-tail, Birkenstock's with sandals era of my life by owning one, but it's been a lot of fun. I threw a dynamo and some lights on it and have been doing all my riding on it the last few months. I've toyed with putting a rear rack on it, but from what i've read from other folks its actually kind of hard to carry stuff on it without your feet hitting things. I think i'm gonna leave it like this for a while. Next step is flying with it. Trying to decide to just try and gate check it, get a hard suitcase for it, or just use an Ikea Dimpa bag with some padding and hope for the best.

Awesome bike and a great photo. Single speed, drop bars, and is that a dynamo hub up front?

I can confirm a 20L pannier will just barely avoid heel strike on my brompton's rear rack. Any bigger is unusable. Smaller would probably be preferable. Heel strike actually becomes less of an issue when the pannier is full since more of the fabric is being stretched away from the bike rather than forward/backwards.

https://www.amazon.com/Rhinowalk-Waterproof-Shoulder-Professional-Accessories/dp/B07Q36HRDZ
Is what I use.

The top hooks on this pannier can be shifted forward/backwards, letting you mount it further back than normal, giving you more heel clearance.

At least on my rack I can only use the pannier on one side as on the side with the line into the internal hub shifter it can catch on the cable when I'm trying to shift. If you've got a single speed that would not be an issue though.

I would note, I do have an alibaba rack (though it is made for a brompton, and not just a random rack for a full size bike). So dimensions of the "official" brompton rack may change the story.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 17, 2024

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I picked up a new trunk for my bicycle today

Gone from 25L in the back to 45L

Can carry the old trunk in the back without issue

And now it has a dump truck rear end

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

bicievino posted:

I LOVE that paint

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bicievino posted:

That loving trout livery is so silly I never get tired of it.

that looks sweet, and nice frames with XL clearances loving own. I briefly rode on a 24mm-tired road bike and kept asking myself who the gently caress enjoys that unless the pavement is literally perfect. 35mm and up all the way.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 18, 2024

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

evil_bunnY posted:

That loving trout livery is so silly I never get tired of it.

that looks sweet, and nice frames with XL clearances loving own. I briefly rode on a 24mm-tired road bike and kept asking myself who the gently caress enjoys that unless the pavement is literally perfect. 35mm and up all the way.

Tire clearance is thankfully getting better on road bikes. New Cervelo road bikes (e.g., R5, Soloist), for example, fit up to 34mm.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

vikingstrike posted:

Tire clearance is thankfully getting better on road bikes. New Cervelo road bikes (e.g., R5, Soloist), for example, fit up to 34mm.

Yeah. I'm very glad my Allez fits 32s, but if I were riding it year round I'd want more.
Failing infrastructure sucks!

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

bicievino posted:

Failing infrastructure sucks!

Yep Seattle residency confirmed

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011

Picked up this 2008 Hustler frame a few weeks ago for $200, picked up a 2004 Pike Dual Air for free last weekend, living my late-2000s All Mountain dreams.
The COVE lettering up the side is hand-cut purple glitter vinyl, the paint on the bike is super rough and I didn't want to waste an OEM graphics kit on something I'll probably end up stripping later.
Working on finding a lighter wheelset, the S-Types are solid but so so heavy for this bike.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
bike (1 of 1) by david childers, on Flickr

Feawen
May 12, 2023

This is RIGHT up my alley. What a sick bike.

Here's my Fargo

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I work in an industrial facility with a large outdoor footprint. Over the years I have brought a number of my bikes to work for my colleagues and me to use since the company supplied bikes are basically unrideable. I did the annual tube up this weekend:

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

spf3million posted:

I work in an industrial facility with a large outdoor footprint. Over the years I have brought a number of my bikes to work for my colleagues and me to use since the company supplied bikes are basically unrideable. I did the annual tube up this weekend:

Scrolling down to each one of those cool bikes was a joy, thank you.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Ordering a half frame bag because i'm tired of trying to find one that fits as close as possible by looking at a bunch of measurements and charts and stuff. went with rogue panda for not particular reason other than it was easy and they do custom bags. anyhow, got out the good camera to send them a picture and took some other ones out in the sun to show the paint.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

(Not mine but it was a lot of fun to ride)

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
purchased a cheap and rusty old road bike to stash at my parents-in-law's place for when I visit. hit up the beach on this ride through the pines and the swamps. It's incredibly flat around Médoc.

heavy rains and an intense amount of pollen from all the pine trees during our stay

Mauser fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 15, 2024

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Heliosicle posted:

(Not mine but it was a lot of fun to ride)

The best part of tandems+ bikes is how easy it is to run down anyone who's not on a TT bike with a skinsuit doing a 30mn max effort. When you're pedal for 3 but push air for ±1,5 you can just bomb down any smooth enough road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012