Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

DJExile posted:

Have there been many instances of teams trading for injured players they actually plan on using? Arizona trades for dead guys all the time and there was the Toronto/Lumbus deal with Clarkson but I feel like trading for injured guys you hope heal are pretty rare

Riley Nash was out with a broken something or other when the Leafs traded for him at the deadline last year. Going back much further, I think Owen Nolan was out long term when the Leafs traded to get him from San Jose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/m_bultman/status/1454626875419107330?s=20
He is the chosen one

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Also, found out today that a trade of Jankowski/Brodie for Kadri/Brown was ready to go but Kadri blocked it because he wanted to either play for the Leafs or a top contender

Jankowksi sucks but having Brodie an extra year over Barrie and not misusing Kerfoot as a “shutdown” 3C for multiple years probably makes the Leafs better? I dunno for sure but goes to show even partial NTCs are a big deal.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

the oilers are going to come first in the Pacific by nuking the record for pp% and then lose in the first round when they stop callin penalties

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve posted:

Without Letang, the Penguins have one (1) borderline top pairing defenseman (Dumoulin, who is in and out of the lineup as much as Letang is), then one (1) second pairing defenseman (Pettersson), and then a bunch of third pairing/borderline NHL guys. Which appears, :sigh:, to include Marino, who is just hopelessly overmatched as a top-pairing guy.

With Letang and Dumoulin both in the lineup they can make it worth, but without either of them it falls apart. Sullivan has this weird thing where his system (which IMO is a very good system) calls on defensemen to be ultra active and aggressive, but he has consistently picked the worst possible kind of players for that role (to wit: slow skaters and hit-seekers). But that's just a curiosity. The bottom line is that the forward group is still pretty good, but without Letang the Penguins have too weak a defenseman group to win consistently in the NHL with. I hope they aren't dumb enough to overpay for a goalie that's not really any better than Jarry and declare Problem Solved.

The Pens have not been efficient in their cap usage when it comes to defense. Petterson and Marino are both 2nd pairing defensemen. They're paid like it. Mike Matheson is paid more than both of those players to contribute even less. Go look who makes the pinch for the penalty shot call. Riikola is decent enough. He's 3rd pairing as hell with decent enough offensive upside. The Hornqvist trade remains insanely awful. Nevermind the JMFJ buyout.

That said the Pens went from everything going in to absolutely nothing going in. In fairness to the Devils their spreadsheet stats are very very good as well and up until recently they've been massively let down by goaltending.

Sid and Carter coming back though only for the Pens to look the absolutely worst they've looked all year is some funny stuff though.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

The Golden Man posted:

the oilers are going to come first in the Pacific by nuking the record for pp% and then lose in the first round when they stop callin penalties

Yeah pretty much.

McDavid just looks like he can do what he wants out there on the pp...thank gawd for playoff hockey.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hey all! So, this will only mean something to MennoKnight and Duckman but my request to do a 1 day special in my trivia league was approved, and Just Images: Ridiculous Hockey is coming on January 11th. I have a bunch of pictures I want to use already, but I'm always happy to look at more, so please feel free to share the stupidest and most ridiculous hockey images you can find. There are no specifics, although I would greatly appreciate anything you have relating to women's hockey, and also I need one of PK Subban for a question I already know I want to write.

Thank you in advance!

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

HookShot posted:

Hey all! So, this will only mean something to MennoKnight and Duckman but my request to do a 1 day special in my trivia league was approved, and Just Images: Ridiculous Hockey is coming on January 11th. I have a bunch of pictures I want to use already, but I'm always happy to look at more, so please feel free to share the stupidest and most ridiculous hockey images you can find. There are no specifics, although I would greatly appreciate anything you have relating to women's hockey, and also I need one of PK Subban for a question I already know I want to write.

Thank you in advance!

awesome! I'm a gonna win!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

mennoknight posted:

awesome! I'm a gonna win!

Crush it!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I feel like the Pens have mostly looked pretty good this year. Not sure I agree that they're bad. They've had scoring issues recently, but that makes sense given who they've been missing. They did look really bad last night but that was probably the first game all season where you could say that.

I think they'll still compete for and ultimately get a playoff spot but the Metro is good enough that a slow start might doom them.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The scoring issue is just ill-timed bouts of low shot%, which may reflect forwards that are pretty good otherwise but can't finish (which the Penguins do have a pile of) but is nothing to worry much about IMO. The PP can't possibly be this bad all year.

The problem is the defensemen. They need Letang and Dumoulin both playing to be good, otherwise it's just a bunch of bottom of the roster type guys and it's not good enough. And what's a reasonable over/under on games that both Letang and Dumoulin both play, maybe 45? That and the inconsistent goaltending are the problem, and the Metro is really unforgiving.

As built, this team might have turned out better if they'd retrained a couple of their depth forwards to be puck moving defensemen instead of going with the crew they're going with. They'd play badly in their own end but guys like Marino and Matheson and Ruhwedel are bad in their own end too, and don't move the puck all that well, and aren't fast enough to outskate their mistakes.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 31, 2021

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

HookShot posted:

Thank you in advance!

Is this LearnedLeague?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The metro looks insane this year. We’ll probably claim both wild card spots again. The golden ticket will be the wild card spot that sends you to the Atlantic and gets you out of the Metro meat grinder.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

tarbrush posted:

I assume cap wise they stash him on LTIR this season and figure out who to dump next year.

Prospect wise, I dunno. Buffalo is getting 50c on the dollar, so a pile of dimes might be the best offer there is.

Big issue with any team trading for Eichel is that because he isn't on Buffalo's LTIR currently, he needs to work on the new team's cap as they acquire him, before the new team can put him on LTIR. So you can't be over the cap as the trade is made.

Meanwhile Buffalo doesn't want to retain salary OR take cap dumps back...?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Cartoon Man posted:

The metro looks insane this year. We’ll probably claim both wild card spots again. The golden ticket will be the wild card spot that sends you to the Atlantic and gets you out of the Metro meat grinder.

Far from guaranteed though, Boston and Detroit are decent teams and the Atlantic teams get to feast on that sweet soft Buffalo/Ottawa/Montreal underbelly.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

how good is the draft supposed to be this year?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Dawson Mercer is a fun player. He's been very active the last few games.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

MononcQc posted:

how good is the draft supposed to be this year?

Supposed to be very deep, is what I've read. Shane Wright, Matthew Savoie and Brad Lambert at the top for major junior players, with Wright having received exceptional status and Savoie having been considered for it.
https://thehockeywriters.com/2022-nhl-draft-rankings-preseason-baracchini/

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

mcmagic posted:

Dawson Mercer is a fun player. He's been very active the last few games.

I'm not going to speak too soon, but the Devils sure seem young, fast, and fun to watch.

Mercer has been great, Bratt and Hischier have played really well, McLeod is winning a lot of face-offs and providing a good 4C. And they're playing competitive games even without Hughes.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

stab posted:

Les Canadiens de Montreal sont pourris en marde

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fermun posted:

Supposed to be very deep, is what I've read. Shane Wright, Matthew Savoie and Brad Lambert at the top for major junior players, with Wright having received exceptional status and Savoie having been considered for it.
https://thehockeywriters.com/2022-nhl-draft-rankings-preseason-baracchini/

Wasn't there a Russian guy people were hype on or is that Bedard's class

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Chu pu capable des Canadiens sont pas capable de gagner un ostie de partie parceque ils sont poche en taberbak. Congedie l'ostie de calvare Bergevin ou vendre l'equipe Molson mon grand idiot

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fawning deference posted:

I'm not going to speak too soon, but the Devils sure seem young, fast, and fun to watch.

Mercer has been great, Bratt and Hischier have played really well, McLeod is winning a lot of face-offs and providing a good 4C. And they're playing competitive games even without Hughes.

Sadly I don't think that they are very good in terms of winning a lot of games this year. They are watchable though.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

mcmagic posted:

Sadly I don't think that they are very good in terms of winning a lot of games this year. They are watchable though.

They're not going to have a good record but they're fun to watch and their young players have gotten off to a nice start.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wasn't there a Russian guy people were hype on or is that Bedard's class

I think that's Matvei Michkov of the 2023 draft class, currently with 3 points in 10 games for SKA.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fawning deference posted:

They're not going to have a good record but they're fun to watch and their young players have gotten off to a nice start.

Hopefully Jack gets back at some point and they really need Blackwood back too. Wedgewood is straight up awful.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Hopefully Jack gets back at some point and they really need Blackwood back too. Wedgewood is straight up awful.

The Devils having three dudes with “Wood” in their last names is never going to not confuse me.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

The Devils having three dudes with “Wood” in their last names is never going to not confuse me.

I think Miles is dead.....

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Devils have played some really lovely teams and have looked bad in a lot of games against them. I don't think they look particularly good and I don't get Ruff as a long term coach for this team.

Hischier has 3 points in 7 games. Bratt has 3 points in 7 games. Both of them have had a few good games but neither of them look like first line offensive talent you can rely on. They need way more out of those two, particularly on the powerplay.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 1, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

stab posted:

Chu pu capable des Canadiens sont pas capable de gagner un ostie de partie parceque ils sont poche en taberbak. Congedie l'ostie de calvare Bergevin ou vendre l'equipe Molson mon grand idiot

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hand Knit posted:

I think that's Matvei Michkov of the 2023 draft class, currently with 3 points in 10 games for SKA.

There is also Ivan Miroschnichenko who is certainly not in the Bedard/Wright tier but could go top 3 considering Brad Lambert is sucking it up in Liiga (2 points on 14 GP whereas Kakko was .8PPG in his draft year).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

T-Bone posted:

The Devils have played some really lovely teams and have looked bad in a lot of games against them. I don't think they look particularly good and I don't get Ruff as a long term coach for this team.

Hischier has 3 points in 7 games. Bratt has 3 points in 7 games. Both of them have had a few good games but neither of them look like first line offensive talent you can rely on. They need way more out of those two, particularly on the powerplay.

Mercer has been their best offensive player since Hughes went out and that isn't a great thing.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Rangers are insanely lucky they walked away from that game with points let alone a win.

Igor is awesome.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Matt Zerella posted:

Rangers are insanely lucky they walked away from that game with points let alone a win.

Igor is awesome.

The Rangers are 6-2-1 and have no business being 6-2-1. Adam Fox and Artemi Panarin are just joys to watch. Igor Shesterkin is the real loving deal. Kreider has been a pleasant surprise and is living up to that contract.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

stab posted:

ah bin coudon stab, c'est plate mais tsé qu'y a deux saisons minimum avant que Bergevin sacre son camp

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

thehoodie posted:

Is this LearnedLeague?

I would assume so, based on the llama avatar.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Caps are due to lay an egg, not feeling too confident tonight against Tampa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983619

November thread!!