Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
HOCKEY IS BACK, in every sense of the word.

Welcome back, old and new friends. The NHL returns tonight for the first time since late-June, returns to ESPN for the first time since 2004, and the highest level of hockey returns to Seattle for the first time since 1924.

(this will be edited and fleshed out with season previews, viewer guides, and things like that. But here's somewhere to post about our blessed and wonderful game.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

long covidest, weirdest road

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/SamanthaJPell/status/1447916100801503240?s=20

Backstrom is out and Ovechkin is likely out for the season opener. And Crosby and Malkin are also out for the time being.

Seems like the end of an era, though I suppose with neither team winning a playoff series since 2018 the era may have actually ended 3 years ago.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I am ready to stay up late and watch the Seattle Kraken's first NHL regular season game.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Crosby-less, Malkin-less, Guentzel-less Penguins may have just a liiiiitle trouble handling the Lightning tonight.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Introducing 70% of the Seattle Kraken!

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Yesterday’s practice Lines
Forwards
Danton Heinen - Jeff Carter - Bryan Rust
Jason Zucker - Evan Rodrigues - Kasperi Kapanen
Brock McGinn - Teddy Blueger - Dominik Simon
Drew O’Connor - Brian Boyle - Sam Lafferty

Defense
Brian Dumoulin / Kris Letang
Mike Matheson / John Marino
Marcus Pettersson / Chad Ruhwedel

Probable starting goalie: Tristan Jarry

Scratches: Sidney Crosby (wrist), Jake Guentzel (COVID), Zach Aston-Reese (COVID), Mark Friedman
IR: Evgeni Malkin (knee)

The Pens are starting the season with a pretty depleted roster so when Jarry puts up an .850 with -2.5 GSAA tonight it's going to blow a who lot. I'm glad hockey is back, but it's probably going to be rough with constant reminders of this possibly being the complete end of an era :(

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I hope the devils are good

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Yesterday’s practice Lines
Forwards
Danton Heinen - Jeff Carter - Bryan Rust
Jason Zucker - Evan Rodrigues - Kasperi Kapanen
Brock McGinn - Teddy Blueger - Dominik Simon
Drew O’Connor - Brian Boyle - Sam Lafferty

Defense
Brian Dumoulin / Kris Letang
Mike Matheson / John Marino
Marcus Pettersson / Chad Ruhwedel

Probable starting goalie: Tristan Jarry

Scratches: Sidney Crosby (wrist), Jake Guentzel (COVID), Zach Aston-Reese (COVID), Mark Friedman
IR: Evgeni Malkin (knee)

The Pens are starting the season with a pretty depleted roster so when Jarry puts up an .850 with -2.5 GSAA tonight it's going to blow a who lot. I'm glad hockey is back, but it's probably going to be rough with constant reminders of this possibly being the complete end of an era :(

Took until here before I even realized which team this was.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I think the Penguins play strong enough low event hockey that they can probably stay competitive but if the goaltending doesn't hold up then yeah they'll have a hard time.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Here’s the Blues starting roster:

Forwards (14): Ivan Barbashev, Tyler Bozak, Pavel Buchnevich, Kyle Clifford, Jordan Kyrou, James Neal, Jake Neighbours, Ryan O'Reilly, David Perron, Brandon Saad, Brayden Schenn, Oskar Sundqvist*, Vladimir Tarasenko, Robert Thomas

Defense (7): Robert Bortuzzo, Justin Faulk, Torey Krug, Niko Mikkola, Colton Parayko, Marco Scandella, Jake Walman

Goalies (2): Jordan Binnington, Ville Husso

(Sundqvist is heading on LTIR when that opens up, and will be replaced by Klim Kostin)

Not a bad team, though there really is no need for Kyle Clifford and his “veteran presence” now that Neal signed a league-minimum deal after a really good preseason. Jake Neighbours also will get a cup of coffee following a strong camp. Defense looks okay and it’s only a matter of time until Perunovich gets brought up—mgmt said that he hasn’t played a legit game for 18 months, and will head to SpringyMA to get reps in. We got rid of some boat anchors (Sanford, lookin’ at you) and added Buch for cheap, which is always nice considering your ownership group likes to spend money but doesn’t really have much of it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Rangers going "heavy" for the game vs Tom Wilson.

Laf – Zib – Kreider
Panarin – Strome – Kakko
Blais – Chytil – Goodrow
Hunt – Rooney – Reaves

Lindgren – Fox
Miller – Trouba
Tinordi – Nemeth

Shesty

I'm going to keep an eye on Hunt. He was a low key signing that didn't get a lot of talk, and looked pretty drat good in the preseason. I guess he's also a bit of an analytics darling too.

Because Gaultier and Hajek need waivers, Kravtsov, Lundqvist, and Barron were sent to Hartford but I expect at least Kravy to get the call back up (and hopefully Lundqvist because Tinordi is definitely not an every night starter) after this game and somehow push Reaves out of the lineup.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
the edmonton oilers will finish second in the pacific division

and then get swept by, i dont know, seattle

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Excited to be able to follow the season properly for the first time in years.

As a filthy European, my only way of keeping in touch was either staying up until the early hours of the morning at weekends or living through the heavily sanitised Condensed Games playlists.

Full-time WFH means I can just catch up the morning after and I am here for it!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Philadelphia Flyers are dogshit garbage.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I forget how tedious the workday before the season opener always is.

p.s. fire paul maurice

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

triple sulk posted:

The Philadelphia Flyers are dogshit garbage.

Surely will works better for now

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

nick suzuki should probably fire his agent

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Blues, don't play until Saturday---bullshit!!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://mobile.twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/1447925139136471041

That's Jesperi Kotkaniemi money (and then some).

Pretty stupid of him to sign this now but maybe he's planning on taking it easy for the next 8 years.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 12, 2021

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Mike_V posted:

NHL is wasting no time getting started with scheduling stupidity, there's only one game on Sunday (the first Sunday of the season).

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
They’re doing the all star game this year? Even with the olympics?

https://twitter.com/nhl/status/1447669390313463809?s=21

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Mind_Taker posted:

https://twitter.com/SamanthaJPell/status/1447916100801503240?s=20

Backstrom is out and Ovechkin is likely out for the season opener. And Crosby and Malkin are also out for the time being.

Seems like the end of an era, though I suppose with neither team winning a playoff series since 2018 the era may have actually ended 3 years ago.

On the plus side, Lapierre, McMichael and Fehervary are on the opening roster. They literally assigned McMichael to Hershey yesterday and recalled him this morning, so they must be scrambling.

It'll be fun to have some new young guns to watch out for.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

eXXon posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/1447925139136471041

That's Jesperi Kotkaniemi money (and then some).

Pretty stupid of him to sign this now but maybe he's planning on taking it easy for the next 8 years.

Hands off Carolina we will keep our top center for below market value tyvm

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mike_V posted:

Yeah, Minnesota is Friday in.... Anaheim.

You'd think with an even number of teams again equally divided across 4 divisions they'd have been able to start with games for everyone in the first W/Th.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Gonna watch them raise the banner in person :cool:

Hopefully they win against a depleted Penguins team.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Mike_V posted:

I did like that they used the time to go out to Vail for some skates, fishing, hiking, and in general getting their minds right.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

lol Tampa model my rear end

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Chad Sexington posted:

On the plus side, Lapierre, McMichael and Fehervary are on the opening roster. They literally assigned McMichael to Hershey yesterday and recalled him this morning, so they must be scrambling.

It'll be fun to have some new young guns to watch out for.

I think McMichael was a paper move to save one day of cap calculation on him. They're gonna need every penny by the end of the year.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

fancy stats posted:

nick suzuki should probably fire his agent

I could see the argument for wanting job/life stability
You can chase the dollar and bridge your way through like PLD and end up exiled to Winnipeg probably not making what you thought you could because of bad breaks or sign the big contract now and still have plenty of time to get overpaid when you hit 30.

And granted, if he bridged he'd have no argument in the world to be asking more than Pettersson so the fact that he got term and more than that is pretty fair risk/reward value I think for both sides.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I guess Dallas gets the pleasure of opening up the season against the new look Rangers on Thursday evening. I should be grateful I'm not having to wait until Saturday i guess lol.

I am slightly concerned that the compliment of goons that the Rangers brought in during the off-season will try and produce a statement game as a justification for their wasted salaries and the new direction for that team.. I just have a premonition of Ryan Reaves trying to kill Miro Heiskanen at some point on Thursday night for no good reason at all.

**oh I didn't even realize that the Rangers play the Capitals the night before.. that's perfect! Hopefully the thugs are all suspended after their game against the Capitals.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

I think McMichael was a paper move to save one day of cap calculation on him. They're gonna need every penny by the end of the year.

That was done to get the team under the cap prior to the start of the season, then they put Backstrom on LTIR on day one. It maximizes your cap overage space if you can be cap complaint before the official start of the season without having to put a guy on injured reserve.

youd for i
Mar 24, 2006

Please enter your password, then press pound
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1447946815123435528?t=zC-aP2FPnlp56kDGhLhXtw&s=19

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

This is bullshit.

E:

https://twitter.com/OhRyanMead/status/1447949670722977797

Pretty much sums it up. Hajek is trash and should have been put on waivers so we might lose a good RW who's been mishandled for 2 seasons in a row.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 12, 2021

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Just when most of Rangers fandom had made peace with the lovely Buchnevich trade and the lovely goon signings, Drury has to go and do this

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The penguins could use a Kravtsov

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/Senators/status/1447945072016756740

fuckin lol at capfriendly being open on the computer back there

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/Senators/status/1447945072016756740

fuckin lol at capfriendly being open on the computer back there

To be fair there's no way any team or the NHL has anything as good as what CapFriendly does.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

https://twitter.com/nyp_brooksie/status/1447953919649488900?s=21

Yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/status/1447953919649488900

Wonderful.