Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

I would submit Sidereal Confluence for consideration. It's a zero-luck purely economic game for 4-9 where the majority of the action is real-time trading with the other players to try to get the delicious cube flavors you need to run your economy by offloading the stuff you made last turn. It's an amazing experience, each species has unique features (from the whale-squids who can turn a large pile of resources into an even larger pile of resources, to the space-bees who can settle planets with ease, making huge amounts of real-estate that they can sell, to the tentacle gangsters who can steal from players who didn't trade with them/pay them off) that make every configuration of the game feel unique.

It's already had a re-release that took it from looking like a complete pile of playtest garbage-

to something that's almost semi presentable-

but it could honestly use more visual upgrades. The criterion version of the game would include the expansion, Bifurcation, which made "flipped" versions of the species from the base game. The "flipped" species change the species mechanics, but keep a similar sort of feel, for example, the flipped whale-squids go from being bankers to engineers, who can improve the efficiency of other player's economies, but keep the same core feeling of not being productive on your own, and relying on your value to other players to generate resources. I would recommend several nice (maybe labeled) dishes for holding those mouth-watering cubes for easy reach of all players, since the game takes up fair bit of tablespace and it's easier if folks can grab things for themselves. I would also suggest some nice-weight paper pads with appropriate-species letterhead for making IOUs and noting deals that go across turn boundaries. Some fancy card holders to keep your pile of technology cards organized would be a treat, and, since we're in magical-Christmas-land, maybe some nice tuckboxes to keep the species cards organized when not in use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
So what Criterion worthy game has supplanted Catan?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I cannot easily do a write up for it, but Cosmic Encounter seems a plausible candidate.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Concordia. Maybe also Machi Koro or Space Base.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I think basically the whole euro genre has supplanted Catan, at least the ones that aren’t multiplayer solitaire - the gazillions of mid weight euros with resource conversion. What are the gold standard games in that space? Maybe Concordia, Agricola, Caylus, Hansa Teutonica, Dominion, El Grande, Ticket to ride? If it has to have trading, Chinatown or Bonanza? (Sidereal is better than both but hard to get to the table)