Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Board games have been around for centuries at this point, with a few games surviving until the modern day. Playing card games have similarly been around for a very long time. However, for the most part, the modern form of the board game has been around for the last century, with modern eurogames, war games, and Ameritrash games appearing in the 50s and 60s. So, we have around 3 quarters of a century of modern board games, and a dozen or two timeless ancient games that are still worth playing today.

The theme of this thread is: imagine you are the criterion collection of board games and have the ability to publish any board game in its greatest form along with its most important extras. Extras can be expansions, rules editions, house rules, or other ephemera. The games that most deserve to be preserved, and how.

Here is my starter: War of the Ring: Second Edition(2011)
Expansions: Lords of Middle Earth (2012) and Treebeard (2012)
Houserules: Replace the plastic and cardboard pieces with wooden tokens e.g. https://imgur.com/a/zwI01g5

War of the Ring was my first serious board game. The first edition came out in 2004 and I eagerly followed its development, play through writeups, and eventual release. Other than some modifications for balance and ease of use on the map, the second edition maintains the same basic game that 2004 had. The Lords of Middle Earth add some really fun extra content involving thugs like the Balrog and Galadriel that most players would been missing or wondered about. The latter expansions mostly just seem to offer extra rules crud in exchange for…the company getting more of your money. There’s a reason they waited so long to release these expansions: they know they already had a perfect game. This is THE game for an LOTR fan. It is a perfect bridge for people to move from Risk to Euro games. It will feel epic and powerful and generate fun stories every time you play it even without any explicit story building mechanics. This is a perfect board game, and encompasses everything that people love about Ameritrash and Eurogames in one great package. Also, replacing everything with wooden tokens is the perfect way to absolutely class this thing up into perfection.

From silvergoose:

I've waxed about it a lot, but it'll have to be Napoleon's Triumph for me. It's a wargame, in the general genre of Block Wargames, where (rather than Hex and Counter, typically) your opponent can see the number and location of your units, but not their makeup or strength.

The feel blends Stratego (the first block wargame??), poker (there's a lot of bluffing, feinting, probing here to launch strength there, draw enemy units to stop feints before smashing through the front), and a pure no-luck combat system that rewards positional movement, strategy, and tactics.

There is no other game I would pick. No expansions. Its creator, retired now, is Rachel Simmons, a trans woman, in an area of gaming even more male dominated than the general hobby.

fr0id fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Talisman (specifically second edition) is one of the greatest board games ever made and should be preserved in its entirety, along with every single one of its expansions.

It's just a cool fantasy romp that hits every notable epic high fantasy touchstone. All the cool Tolkien poo poo with a vaguely Warhammer Fantasy spin, and then some other weird stuff in some of the more esoteric expansions.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 27, 2023

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I've waxed about it a lot, but it'll have to be Napoleon's Triumph for me. It's a wargame, in the general genre of Block Wargames, where (rather than Hex and Counter, typically) your opponent can see the number and location of your units, but not their makeup or strength.

The feel blends Stratego (the first block wargame??), poker (there's a lot of bluffing, feinting, probing here to launch strength there, draw enemy units to stop feints before smashing through the front), and a pure no-luck combat system that rewards positional movement, strategy, and tactics.

There is no other game I would pick. No expansions. Its creator, retired now, is Rachel Simmons, a trans woman, in an area of gaming even more male dominated than the general hobby.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Talisman (specifically second edition) is one of the greatest board games ever made and should be preserved in its entirety, along with every single one of its expansions.

It's just a cool fantasy romp that hits every notable epic high fantasy touchstone. All the cool Tolkien poo poo with a vaguely Warhammer Fantasy spin, and then some other weird stuff in some of the more esoteric expansions.

That’s an awesome Rec! I see there are 4 editions of talisman and 24 expansions for the latest. What are your thoughts on those for preservation?

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

In response to the Talisman mention, I’m gonna add a second category: 90s, 80s, and older games “for boys from twelve years of age to one hundred and fifty and for that more intelligent sort of girl who likes boys' games and books” (In reference to the century old HG Wells designed War Game)

Weapons and Warriors: Holy poo poo what a game. This is why your older family still finds weird plastic balls underneath their furniture to this day. Launching little catapults and trebuchets at plastic fortresses held in place by rubber bands rules so hard. Stuff explodes. Stuff goes boom. Incredible. Perfect old school dexterity game. Probably has a pet body count.

Key to the Kingdom: Another great old game where you can literally fold the board on people to crush and kill them. So much fun. SMOOSH.

Tower of the Wizard King: Another childhood absolute banger. The tower had this amazing system wher you slotted in your hero token and then had a super satisfying “chachunk” as you pressed the lever to switch characters. God help anyone if you got the dragon. Incredible

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

silvergoose posted:

I think we can all agree that we would want a better sticker system that what it has. I have my metal flags held on by scotch tape. Criterion absolutely has pressed metal flags.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

fr0id posted:

I think we can all agree that we would want a better sticker system that what it has. I have my metal flags held on by scotch tape. Criterion absolutely has pressed metal flags.

I used super glue, just a dot, and they don't fall off.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

silvergoose posted:

I used super glue, just a dot, and they don't fall off.

I’m a craft moron. I understand this but immediately am like: “both sides of the metal?” “What’s a dot look like?” Do you have a for dummies guide?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Fantastic thread idea, great job.

I want to go away and think about this more but the first things that came to mind:

Race for the Galaxy

In the Criterion edition, I'd have super sized glossy cards and clay victory point chips. I'd include the Alien Artifacts expansion new cards but NOT the Orb expansion. I think this is the best way to play 90% of the time. I'd want the box to be the minimum possible size - maybe a metal small box like Sushi Go Party, or even smaller. Something super portable.

I probably still have more plays of Race for the Galaxy than any other game. It's great 2p or 3/4p. It's fast, setup is virtually non existent (basically counting out VP chips for the number of players and assigning start worlds). Some people complain about the iconography, but screw em, it's like 20 minutes of investment for a game you can chunk in a small bag and play it forever as one of the best travel games.

Twilight Struggle

It has a bunch of flaws - in particular, there are some clearly superior first few moves that approach the early game being scripted, you do have to have a moderately good understanding of the cards in the deck (especially the scoring cards and some of the 'trap' cards that can cause you lose the game), there are some key areas of the board you'll be fighting over every game and a lot which rarely see much action - but all that said, what a game, what a game. I can't think of many games with such strong thematic integration, tension over every move, and the feel that you are playing out history. None of the other games in the family really come close to the scale, tension and global scope, even if they are possibly better mechanically (Watergate, Wir das Volk etc).

I'm sure SOMETHING could be done in a Criterion edition about the chits which are definitely the weak spot component wise. I can't see any Criterion collection being complete without this game.

Feast for Odin with the Norwegians expansion

I was debating between this and Agricola. Agricola is probably the one that really deserves the place here. It's an amazing game and another obvious inclusion. I think out of all the Uwe Rosenberg games in that family, it's the least divisive pick. But I do think that Feast just has fractionally more appeal for more people. It came out later and didn't have nearly the same impact on the industry. It's a little harder to learn. But I think more people will have more fun with it, and you're not playing the full experience if you're not playing with the Norwegians. I'd integrate it in and put it in the first wave of Criterion releases. (Probably the 'gric too honestly) Maybe the Criterion edition could have high quality plastic tiles instead of cardboard? (This could make it worse - maybe it doesn't need anything)

Imperial 2030

Another fantastic thematic game. Slightly prefer it to Imperial mostly because the theme is more appealing to most. World politics is controlled by super rich investors - you get to be one of them and compete over the world. The rules are super simple, the game is highly interactive, its a world domination stocks game. I think this is a great way to get into stocks games and I love fighting over who gets to control China to invade Europe and wreck both economies so the Brazilian stock goes up. For the Criterion edition I probably want to change the money and the shares to something cool but the other components are already great and simple.

I'm debating about which Knizia designs deserve the first Criterion release - probably Tigris & Euphrates but I'm also thinking about Ra, Modern Art and Whale Riders. Chicago Express is also a strong candidate IMO for auction/stock games. For small box games, For Sale! and Air Land and Sea might also be strong contenders.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Carcassonne

It is, in my opinion, the best example of a tile-placement game that isn't Mahjong. The expansions get a little crazy adding more complexity, so for preference I'd include just the base game.

In the Criterion Edition, I'd want the tiles to be made of something more sturdy than cardboard, possibly laser etched and painted wood. More detailed meeples would be nice. Also including a nice bag to draw from so you don't inevitably end up putting the tiles in a Crown Royal bag.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

fr0id posted:

I’m a craft moron. I understand this but immediately am like: “both sides of the metal?” “What’s a dot look like?” Do you have a for dummies guide?

I am too. Both sides as there's a sticker on both sides, you just want enough that it'll expand a little to keep the whole flag on, but not so much that there's glue coming out the edges of the sticker.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Robo Rally, 1994

To me it's the ideal game more or less. You've got to plan both long and short term, the boards look great and using the card-programming instead of dice leaves in just enough randomness to force you to replan on the fly, but not enough randomness that it's the only deciding factor in who wins. It's also hard for someone to build up so much of a lead that someone else can't screw up their plans in some way. I know there are a bunch of expansions and later editions, but I really just feel like the original is already great as it is. The only change I can think of is that the rules for acquiring equipment cards leave a bit to be desired, since it's almost never worth it to waste your time getting one of those rather than just getting ahead, and some of them really add some fun new options, and the one thing I usually end up house ruling when playing it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I submit Richochet Robots & Zendo to the Criterion Collection.

Richochet Robots is a classic puzzle game of people sitting around a table in absolute silence, telling their wife to gently caress off about stirring the cheese dip until the round is over. The copy I have is VERY basic and lacks much pizzaz or elevated production values.

Zendo would be amazing with wood pieces of different species and black and white marble tokens. The only change would be to jettison the orientalism verbiage and theme.

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 27, 2023

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Empire of the Sun (2005) is a very well-designed, thought-out piece of work. A rarity in wargames in a true strategic-scale naval-air-centric game, and it does it without getting into a ton of rivet-counting detail. It's much deeper than games like Victory in the Pacific but with just about the same number of counters on the board. It's also a really good example of making the op-event CDG system work. It is absolutely brilliant in almost every respect.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

fr0id posted:

In response to the Talisman mention, I’m gonna add a second category: 90s, 80s, and older games “for boys from twelve years of age to one hundred and fifty and for that more intelligent sort of girl who likes boys' games and books” (In reference to the century old HG Wells designed War Game)

This is the signal I’ve been waiting for.

This is a great idea for a thread and I will work up a post as soon as I can get back to the archive. Commenting now so I don’t forget when I get home.

while not exactly criterion collection material, here is my first printing of Little Wars by H.G. Wells:

notable for codifying a ruleset for miniatures to elevate them beyond just playing pretend and into something adults began to do with a straight face. should probably be noted as fundamental in laying the groundwork for the wargame hobby and therefore the entire concept of rpgs later on in the mid/late 20th century.

jarofpiss fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 28, 2023

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

fr0id posted:

Weapons and Warriors: Holy poo poo what a game. This is why your older family still finds weird plastic balls underneath their furniture to this day. Launching little catapults and trebuchets at plastic fortresses held in place by rubber bands rules so hard. Stuff explodes. Stuff goes boom. Incredible. Perfect old school dexterity game. Probably has a pet body count.

Holy poo poo I haven't heard of Weapons and Warriors in decades. What a perfect game*

Liquid Communism posted:

Carcassonne

It is, in my opinion, the best example of a tile-placement game that isn't Mahjong. The expansions get a little crazy adding more complexity, so for preference I'd include just the base game.

I think Caracssone needs probably one expansion to go from good to great, not including the River expansion because that's mandatory. I would include the Cathedrals and Lakes expansion to give just a little more strategy to gameplay.

For my contribution I want to see a collection of Cheapass Games. Give me a big box of laminated and color cards with all the tokens I need to play The Very Clever Pipe Game, Light Speed, Agora, both Kill and Save Doctor Lucky, Before I Kill You, Mr. Bond (please get the license back), and hell even throw a few Button Men in there.

*For a 7-9 year old

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I submit Cathedral.
Cathedral is a puzzle game for two players, who take turns placing their pieces representing buildings onto a gridded board within a city wall. The first player places the neutral eponymous cathedral piece, which is also the largest. Players capture territory by walling off part of the city with a contiguous wall, which can be (almost always is) extended off of the external walls of the city; if a single enemy or the neutral cathedral piece is trapped within a captured territory, it is removed and returned to the player that owns it. In this way players attempt to get as many of their pieces as they can fit onto the board. The match ends when neither player can place any more pieces, and the winner is the player with the fewest total "squares" worth of pieces left in their supply.

Like chess, who plays first matters, but a match between experienced players can be played out in ten or fifteen minutes. A common way to play is to play many matches; you can keep an accumulating score across multiple matches and end when one player exceeds some pre-decided total, or you can score by matches, playing until one player has won a predetermined number of matches.

Play is simple enough that children can learn and play; there is a surprising depth to play, so that two experienced players will still find significant challenge, as players learn to prioritize certain pieces, bluff, use cathedral placement to create a more open or more closed game, and even intentionally sacrifice a small piece in order to sneakily capture a larger territory as the opponent takes the bait.

My copy is a Mattel version from 1986 with detailed plastic pieces. A criterion collection entry might be one of the several editions that had wooden pieces:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7/cathedral/versions
Although some of these have a disadvantage of the pieces looking very "samey" from above, which can make the board blend together visually.
The Monumental Moves version might be the criterion collection version to own, since it comes with beautiful pieces depicting monuments from all over the world, but I have never seen it in person and I'm not certain if it has identical piece shapes and rules.

There are also magnetized travel editions, and due to size and speed of play this is an excellent travel game.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 27, 2023

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

bbcisdabomb posted:

Holy poo poo I haven't heard of Weapons and Warriors in decades. What a perfect game*

I knew of and owned it as Crossbows and Catapults, and yeah, literal decades.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Dominion is a classic for a reason, but there are so many expansions. Where would one even start? Even the dud expansions offer an interesting card or two, but for my money, the perfect game of Dominon for any playgroup can be built from the 2nd edition Base set, 2nd edition Prosperity, and Renaissance.

For newer players, the Base set is still as enchanting as it was back in 2008, and the Second edition trims dead cards like Woodcutter and Feast for much more playable cards like Bandit and Vassal.

Once players get the feel for the basics, Prosperity is the perfect expansion, as it adds more. You have your gold based strategies, but what about platinum? More victory points, more, more, more!

Finally, for veteran players, Renaissance adds more interaction and new card types that enable new strategies. Artifacts are powerful enablers that cause struggles between players to retain control. Projects, on the other hand, are universal powers that encourage players to build their strategy around. Finally, Villagers and Coffers provide ways to generate explosive turns that don't rely on card draw, allowing a larger variety of strategies to be viable.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Tigris & Euphrates

Incredible achievement. A Eurogame that has an incredibly dry rule set but through the theme manages to portray military, religious, economic, and cultural conflicts all based on geography. You absolutely feel the history occurring with your moves. You don’t feel like an individual lease but rather a cultural force pushing against others in a very limited atmosphere. Absolutely incredible. A criterion my give us a sturdier board, some clacks plastic domino-like tiles, and general heavier duty stock for things. But this game is an utter achievement. My own personal story is this is the one game I asked my local game store to custom order for me back in the late 2000s. Just wonderful. Great game for even board game newbies who want something more strategic. Utterly addictive.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

I’m surprised it hasn’t been said yet, but I might as well add Heroquest

Anything I could say about it would be a QR code atop the rules linking to as well as an immediate in text link to this video, which is the single most important bit of heroquest ephemera in existence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

also what’s the wwii board game that has a cock and balls for box art and the best Board Game Geek review of all time?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

fr0id posted:

Anything I could say about it would be a QR code atop the rules linking to as well as an immediate in text link to this video, which is the single most important bit of heroquest ephemera in existence.

Are we, as the Criterion Committee, allowed to disagree? I think based on the OP's:

and a dozen or two timeless ancient games that are still worth playing today.

I don't think Heroquest is worth playing today (or Talisman, for that matter, and maybe even not Roborally!!). I think the Criterion brand should be preserved for true excellence - not just trend setters, but evergreen games that are still a great choice to pull out for a gaming group today, and maybe even are still the leaders in their gaming family.

I think those choices are contestable but that's the fun! Tigris and Euphrates for example is probably a paradigmatic example of a classic, influential game that is still amazing to play. If you brought out your top five tile placement games it rightfully deserves a place today.

But for heroquest, there are so many dungeon crawlers and an awful lot of them are probably more fun to play. I reckon a part of the criteria should definitely be 'still does what it does as good as or better than anything else on the market'.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

fr0id posted:

games workshop has been a prolific publisher of boardgames since the early 1980s in addition to their warhammer properties. talisman as mentioned above would be a cornerstone addition to any criterion collection that attempts to catalogue the notable gw board game titles in some sort of large box set that is delivered by freight.

in 1983 games workshop released the first edition of talisman and absolutely transformed the board game medium by allowing players to not only embark on a magical quest for the crown of command playing as an elf, dwarf, wizard and toad at times.

not long after they began releasing the expansion sets that were infinite in number and began to produce metal miniatures as well for the 3rd edition onward.

in 1987 gw published Dungeonquest, an early dungeon crawler that set the stage for later games to come. it's still a great game (brutally difficult) and the artwork is fantastic throughout.

this leads us to 1989's HeroQuest, published by milton bradley and licensed by games workshop. another cornerstone of the genre, aimed at younger players. this wildly successful game was followed up with a three expansions (i do not own any)

after this, Advanced HeroQuest (i do not own yet), and by 1995 the world was ready to ascend to the apex of the dungeon crawling genre and begin playing Warhammer Quest

which i will cover in a dedicated post

these titles represent the core contributions games workshop made to developing and growing the dungeon crawl board game. there are other games that are core to the genre that were not published or licensed by gw (sorcerer's cave, dungeon!, assorted tsr d&d board games, etc), but for the criterion collection of the gw contribution: these are the ones that make the cut for me. they are included because of the impact the games had, and because they helped set the cultural stage for where we are now. undisputably important titles in my opinion.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

I reckon the GW game most worth Criterion inclusion is probably Space Hulk. Maybe Claustrophobia is a Space Hulk beater but I can’t think of many others. Definitely has its flaws but I think it’s the one that stands up the best today.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I suggest we add Diplomacy to the list. It first came out in 1959 and has decades of history under its belt. Apparently Kissinger and Kennedy used to play it in the White House. Other "diplomatic strategy games" have been released since then that have iterated on the idea and added additional mechanics, but for me the simplicity of Diplomacy is what sets it apart from its successors. There are no dice rolls. There are no card draws. There is no random chance of any form. What happens on the board is a direct result of the actions of the players, no more, no less.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

fr0id posted:

also what’s the wwii board game that has a cock and balls for box art and the best Board Game Geek review of all time?

That's World In Flames- it's interesting in that while it has a fairly dedicated small fanbase, the other notable game by the designer, Empires in Arms, is more influential, as it definitely inspired Europa Universalis, which ended up being adapted into a hit computer game.

Though, in other very loosely adapted board games, Francis Tresham's Civilization/Advanced Civilization feels like it belongs there. Even if i'm more partial to the 18XX series, also started by Tresham, Civ is more known.

I also feel Victory Games' Vietnam 1965-75 is a very unique game by a designer who quit the industry pretty quickly, though said designer did end up blessing a GMT Games re-release. While The Civil War is probably the company's best game, it's not quite as unique. (The story of Victory Games being a group of really brilliant designers getting together and making some good stuff is in and of itself quite cool)

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 28, 2023

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tresham Civ and 1830 both belong here, yeah. Both games launched entire genres, are still played today, and are still both extremely good games that I would play any time.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

fr0id posted:

I don’t know enough about board games to add to the Criterion Collection, but Heroquest would fit better on a board game version of the Library of Congress’s National Film Registry. They pick films that are “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant”. The two lists would overlap but the National Film Registry of board games would also have like Monopoly and Settlers of Catan just to give you an idea.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Counter-argument to including Talisman: playing Talisman can be one of the worst gaming experiences possible when things goes south. That's hardly excellence. I can see it be included in a "touchstones of board games history" special release series though.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

you're all wrong about the criterion collection.

"We aim to reflect the breadth of filmed expression. We try not to be restrictive or snobby about what kinds of films are appropriate. An auteur classic, a Hollywood blockbuster, and an independent B horror film all have to be taken on their own terms. All we ask is that each film in the collection be an exemplary film of its kind. "

talisman is S tier criterion collection board gaming

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

I agree lets try and separate the "Game of historic significance" from the "All time classic", because there are huge amounts of stuff in that first category that nobody sane (or with any idea about what else is out there) would play today. Very few criterion films are unwatchable and presumably they all some merit/reason to be watched again and again in future, but I'd never try and sell someone on playing HQ or Talisman with me (or God forbid Magic Realms). Or even Catan!

Whereas I probably would give Space Hulk a go with someone - and definitely games like Tigris & Euphrates, For Sale!, etc. Not everyone will like them but i'd give them happily a try with most groups/people interested in that sort of game. If someone was interested in the sort of game that Hero Quest is I'd definitely recommend something else - whatever experience they are wanting out of that kind of game, there's many contemporary alternatives clearly better in more or less every way. Whereas if someone was interested in an auction game i'd happily give Ra, Chicago Express, Modern Art, For Sale! etc a go.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think being a game (or a film) that defined a genre, in its time, is a quality in and of itself. Some works are important enough to be emulated, and ultimately improved-on, but the existence of the more recent improved works doesn't erase the value of the original.

I bet a lot of the designers of modern dungeon crawl games played Talisman when they were teenagers.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Blamestorm posted:

Or even Catan!

You know, I feel like Catan has somehow ended up as a punchline to making fun of boardgames more than anything people play these days. I've played it a few times and found it a pretty inoffensive, chill experience that even newbies could get into pretty easy without a lot of explaining needed. Did something change or is it just a polite riffing in the board game community rather than a serious critique?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bit of both? Some people got tired of it after playing dozens of times early on, some people (I'm in this category) always hated it because of the high variance and convincing people stuff, and some people still like it. And some people are tired of The Joke.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
But in any kind of history of board gaming, Catan is nevertheless a major milestone no?

I'm less versed in the wide world of board gaming than you folks - but it seems like it was the start of a whole revolution to me, at least from a US perspective.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Oh it 100% was, absolutely.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I would preserve Dune. Rather than decide on a definitive edition of the game I'd do an omnibus chronicling the full history. From the expansions to the original Avalon Hill game, the fan-supplements from the magazine that got included in the Descartes edition of the game, all the way up to the GF9 re-release and two expansions. I think the newest expansion (CHOAM Richese) is kind of bad, and I'm not 100 percent on expansion 1 either. But if I start picking and choosing what to include then we'll just end up with my personal preferences rather than a definitive edition. So it would be a four box set with
  • Core Game
  • Avalon Hill Expansions (Spice Harvest and Duel)
  • Fan Expansions (Ix, Tleilax, Landsraad)
  • GF9 Expansions (Ix, Tleilax, CHOAM, Richese)
The biggest improvement in presentation would be putting all the rules in one rulebook. The Avalon Hill rules had ambiguities that the new edition tries to address, but the GF9 version has way too much information shuffled into separate errata and FAQ documents rather than compiled in a single location. I'd include a companion book chronicling the release of each version and the rules changes over time. A lot of the changes in the GF9 version are common houserules that reflect the way most people actually played the original game, but some rules changes are more controversial. And the tournament scene uses a different set of houserules from either. GF9 Dune has a reference table of houserules in the back for alliances, including the context and how they might affect the game. I think you could do that for all the mechanics that have changed over time (full phase vs one action karama, pass-thru ornithopter use, Fremen advanced combat alliance power...)

Besides that, I want larger components and a bigger board. Maybe stackable wooden meeples for easier force deployment. GF9 opted for smaller pieces and a smaller board to make a cheaper box that was easier to store, but we don't have to compromise if it's meant to be an ultimate edition.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

PurpleXVI posted:

You know, I feel like Catan has somehow ended up as a punchline to making fun of boardgames more than anything people play these days. I've played it a few times and found it a pretty inoffensive, chill experience that even newbies could get into pretty easy without a lot of explaining needed. Did something change or is it just a polite riffing in the board game community rather than a serious critique?

As they others said, it was a huge milestone and most game shops still have tons of copies and direct people to it as a gateway game. (Carcasonne, Ticket to Ride and Pandemic I think are similar in this sense). But unlike those other three I think Catan in particular has just been massively eclipsed by a lot of other games, more so than the others. Like you say it’s fairly inoffensive (although the variance sucks and there really aren’t that many strategic choices) , it’s just I think for newbie friendly experiences there are gazillions of other options that are more fun, have more to explore in terms of repeat plays, play faster, etc. Like I think if a group had access to a good collection of highly rated similar games from the last ten years they’d never pull out Catan by choice. But all that said if the thread is recognising “milestone” games in terms of industry impact yeah it’s totally top 5 material. (I just think the evergreen classic games still awesome today topic is a more interesting chat, but cool if people want to think boardgaming history instead).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Blamestorm posted:

As they others said, it was a huge milestone and most game shops still have tons of copies and direct people to it as a gateway game. (Carcasonne, Ticket to Ride and Pandemic I think are similar in this sense). But unlike those other three I think Catan in particular has just been massively eclipsed by a lot of other games, more so than the others. Like you say it’s fairly inoffensive (although the variance sucks and there really aren’t that many strategic choices) , it’s just I think for newbie friendly experiences there are gazillions of other options that are more fun, have more to explore in terms of repeat plays, play faster, etc. Like I think if a group had access to a good collection of highly rated similar games from the last ten years they’d never pull out Catan by choice. But all that said if the thread is recognising “milestone” games in terms of industry impact yeah it’s totally top 5 material. (I just think the evergreen classic games still awesome today topic is a more interesting chat, but cool if people want to think boardgaming history instead).

Why not both?