Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cithen posted:

It would have been totally cool and fine to leave the continuity between seasons to have been what it was over S1-S3. There are relatively strong themes of exploitation throughout; white, establishment, privileged men taking advantage of 'common' folks is central to all of the crimes presented. And there was some sort of throw away comment in season 3 about the season 1 case, but it had no bearing on the case itself, which felt unnecessary, but fine. Conceivably, all of the seasons take place in the same universe.

S4 was just so ham-fisted and over the top with the references. None of them were subtle and it was made to be a central thread of the case even though it was entirely pointless.

There’s a lore-explainer channel on youtube that does videos like this”this will be how professor x becomes part of the marvel movie universe” and “50 references you missed in The Batman” they did an episode recap series about season 4 of True Detective that was all about how Rust Cohle was going to reappear because the spiral symbol being all over his childhood home meant that he was connected to it and that there was a Blue King the characters would have to defeat—just turning the True Detective franchise into a Marvelfied lore machine. I have no idea if any of the videos were serious, but season 4 definitely made them possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Every season gets its own colour king. And, to balance, every season heavily and overtly references an obscure niche pretentious pseudo philosophy screed like S1. One has a protag who is heavily and annoyingly into pronoia (opposite of paranoia).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

Every season gets its own colour king. And, to balance, every season heavily and overtly references an obscure niche pretentious pseudo philosophy screed like S1. One has a protag who is heavily and annoyingly into pronoia (opposite of paranoia).

Wayne Hays, Audrey Hart, Detective Papania, and Kali Reis’ character are THE TRUE DETECTIVES, coming 2026. Featuring Hamish Linklater as The Red King. Also featuring Owen Wilson as the spirit of Rust Cohle.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Wow

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

S2 feels like HBO put the screws to Nicky Pizza to crank out a new season asap so he just locked himself in a room with a typewriter, bag of coke, and Elmore Leonard novels and went to town