Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volga Boatman
Sep 22, 2006

By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know, I'm betting lots of evil jerks would like to exist in a world were everything is eternally beautiful and perfect. And I doubt anyone wants to go to any of the hells.
I'm pretty sure that some layers of Abyss have been described as very beautiful and pleasant places, for the demons at least. I guess it'd depend on your point of view, the evil petitioners have a chance to become true demons / devils among the tanarri & baatezu, don't know about 'loths though.

ZorbaTHut posted:

Mechanus sounds like the most horrifying area in the entire universe. Sheesh. I don't even mind the Evil "heavens" as much as Mechanus.
I think that Limbo might be even worse, spending an eternity swimming around in an everchanging miasma or getting caught by some "might makes right" Slaad jerk who makes you his slave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The only redeeming factor about Mechanus is that it is apparently full of clockwork automato and gigantic loving gears.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Ashcans posted:

The only redeeming factor about Mechanus is that it is apparently full of clockwork automato and gigantic loving gears.

And crazy gravity since each gear pulls towards its surface.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
I'm taking bets on when Rich Burlew kicks the bucket and his son* continues OoTS Dune style

*if he does not have one one can be procured

evilsake fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 9, 2007

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Stick Figure art was just a means to more easily pass the torch. It all makes sense :froggonk:

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

sakesniper posted:

I'm taking bets on when Rich Burlew kicks the bucket and his son* continues OoTS Dune style

*if he does not have one one can be procured
1. Xykon gains access to Azure City's wells of power
2. Xykon becomes a Turbo Lich
3. Jews in Space

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Red_Mage posted:

1. Xykon gains access to Azure City's wells of power
2. Xykon becomes a Turbo Lich
3. Jews in Space

4. Kevin J Anderson

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
New comic!

Obligatory if the site goes down: http://xs220.xs.to/xs220/07414/OotS291.gif

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Remember how I said Eugene needed a beating?

Done and done.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Oh god that's the biggest and most deserved "gently caress you" i've ever seen.

Awesome.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
Man, I thought that was just great and fulfilling.

"But...That's not fair!"

"No, it IS fair, and that's why you're upset."

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
You know I realize that complaining about the art for this comic is sort of ridiculous but I thought the gate looked pretty mediocre. I'm not sure if it's the choppy looking metal or the weird gate opening perspective but it bugs me for some reason.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Soylentbits posted:

You know I realize that complaining about the art for this comic is sort of ridiculous but I thought the gate looked pretty mediocre. I'm not sure if it's the choppy looking metal or the weird gate opening perspective but it bugs me for some reason.

Yeah, after some of the scenes in Azure City during the war and such that was a bit underwhelming.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

While I was originally unhappy about the "giant update dump" release scheme that was going on, if it means "have a character be a gigantic rear end for 2 comics, then have him sobbing in his cereal 3 comics later, while we all laugh," it is completely okay with me.

Is it bad that I sort of want Elan to die now, so we can see the process of entry to Chaotic Good heaven? "Woo, c'mon in and party man, s'all cool!" "Don't you want to---" "Hey man, par-tay! No rules woo!"

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

Choke Babies Now posted:

Is it bad that I sort of want Elan to die now, so we can see the process of entry to Chaotic Good heaven? "Woo, c'mon in and party man, s'all cool!" "Don't you want to---" "Hey man, par-tay! No rules woo!"

CG heaven is Ysgard so it'll be nice and party-like until the cock crows then he'll find out he has to go fight to the death.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
A lot of gods have their own personal sub-realm within the alignment realms.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Halloween Jack posted:

A lot of gods have their own personal sub-realm within the alignment realms.

But does Banjulhu?

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Strontium posted:

But does Banjulhu?

I don't even think that "madhouse" is a strong enough word for what that place would be.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I wonder if Miko made it into LG heaven; maybe there's another reunion coming up?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DoctorTristan posted:

I wonder if Miko made it into LG heaven; maybe there's another reunion coming up?

Soon pretty much said she wasn't going to the same place as them (And her horsie), so I don't think she made it into Lawful Good. I suspect she's kicking around Mechanus in Lawful Neutral land. She really was trying to be lawful, even if she was batshit insane. She sprang to mind when Roy's bureaucratic angel was talking about all that trying stuff.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 11, 2007

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Soon pretty much said she wasn't going to the same place as them (And her horsie), so I don't think she made it into Lawful Good. I suspect she's kicking around Mechanus in Lawful Neutral land. She really was trying to be lawful, even if she was batshit insane. She sprang to mind when Roy's bureaucratic angel was talking about all that trying stuff.

Soon said she wasn't a paladin. She could have still made it if only for story potential.

What happens to married couples of different alignments when they die? They can't visit each other or anything?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Soylentbits posted:

What happens to married couples of different alignments when they die? They can't visit each other or anything?

It's "until death do we part," so I guess it's possible.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Didn't Soon say that Miko's mount would try to visit her or something? It would be weird if a mount was allowed to visit its ex-paladin master, but you couldn't visit your wife.

Enderwastaken
Oct 11, 2007

by angerbot
# 492 is up

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0492.html

That's my kind of afterlife.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Wow, that was fast.

And here I really thought the ominous prediction would come true. The prediction made by whoever it was that, by actually trying to enter the afterlife, Roy would have given up his quest, and would then be put back in limbo, as he would not be truly lawful.

But this is pretty hilarious, too.

I do not actually know if the server GETS hammered anymore, but here is the strip anyway:

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Link for when the site goes down.
drat you!

I'm wondering where the one night stands come from, and the people who always lose debates. Surely that isn't their heaven.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Lawful good heaven is not at all what I expected.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea to be honest getting to bear on monsters and get pick up a chick, eat, and crash with your family sounds a little more like Ysgard of whatever the fake Valhalla is. I know that LG characters still tend to kill a lot (more than some alignments!) but I always thought that it was on the basis of some sort of justification. IE, that in the ideal you don't kill anyone. Its weird to have spawned dungeons in a heaven.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Ashcans posted:

Yea to be honest getting to bear on monsters and get pick up a chick, eat, and crash with your family sounds a little more like Ysgard of whatever the fake Valhalla is. I know that LG characters still tend to kill a lot (more than some alignments!) but I always thought that it was on the basis of some sort of justification. IE, that in the ideal you don't kill anyone. Its weird to have spawned dungeons in a heaven.

Its not real one night stands/monster slaying/etc. Its all just pretend to pass the eternity. There. Perfectly justified.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Ashcans posted:

Didn't Soon say that Miko's mount would try to visit her or something? It would be weird if a mount was allowed to visit its ex-paladin master, but you couldn't visit your wife.

I'm pretty sure it's because Windstriker is a magical horse- it already planeshifts and lives on the celestial realms or something. I don't think that Miko could visit Windstriker, but Windstriker is a native so he can do all kinds of stuff.

Noonsaliwah fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 12, 2007

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

Ashcans posted:

Well obviously this OotS afterlife is a little different than standard DnD afterlife, but in DnD the River Styx travels through all of the planes, although it's called Lethe in the upper ones. One touch of it's waters will erase all your memories and create you as a bank slate. From there you become a petitioner and start a new life serve your god as your ego slowly fades away over the centuries, to the point where your sense of self disappears and you become one with the plane. Obviously if your characters expects a res he can hold off drinking the water.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

farraday posted:

I'm wondering where the one night stands come from, and the people who always lose debates. Surely that isn't their heaven.
Interns.

Gassire posted:

Well obviously this OotS afterlife is a little different than standard DnD afterlife, but in DnD the River Styx travels through all of the planes, although it's called Lethe in the upper ones. One touch of it's waters will erase all your memories and create you as a bank slate. From there you become a petitioner and start a new life serve your god as your ego slowly fades away over the centuries, to the point where your sense of self disappears and you become one with the plane. Obviously if your characters expects a res he can hold off drinking the water.
You don't have to drink the water, but most petitioners eventually forget their past lives anyway.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I bet Roy and Miko never even notice each other, just because everyone assumes that they're going to meet up.

They'll probably walk past each other while deep in thought and ignore each other.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

MikeJF posted:

There are 7 different levels/subplanes to Mount Celestia (the "seven heavens"); I think Paladins typically go to a different level than others. This is probably what Soon meant; she's just going to a lower level of Celestia than the rest of the Saphire Guard.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Then Leroy says there's something you should know. Not everybody has a place to go, and home is just a place to hang your head.
And dream up things to do in Denver when you're dead.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Gassire posted:

From there you become a petitioner and start a new life serve your god as your ego slowly fades away over the centuries, to the point where your sense of self disappears and you become one with the plane.

Jesus, even the good DnD afterlife sounds horrible.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Probably because all the gods want you up and alive and slaughtering the opposing alignments.

Except the neutral ones, who couldn't care less either way.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

RentACop posted:

Jesus, even the good DnD afterlife sounds horrible.

If I remember right pcs have it a little different, they can retain some of their memory on a more permanent basis. Mainly because their god needs heroes to act as officers in their army. Evil is much worse, when you die no matter your alignment you end up in the NE wastes as a foot long maggot that Night Hags herd and corral to sell to the Demons and Devils to make more Demons and Devils. Neutral people are a little trickier, noone goes to Mechanus or Limbo when they die. It's determined by whether your sell fell closer to good or evil on the axis. To get an idea of the outer planes imagine a compass, the 16 cardinal points would each point to a plane.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Fuego Fish posted:

Probably because all the gods want you up and alive and slaughtering the opposing alignments.

Except the neutral ones, who couldn't care less either way.

Unless they're 2nd-ed neutral ones who want you to slaughter anyone who presumes to change the status quo in any way :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Gassire posted:

Gassire posted:

If I remember right pcs have it a little different, they can retain some of their memory on a more permanent basis. Mainly because their god needs heroes to act as officers in their army. Evil is much worse, when you die no matter your alignment you end up in the NE wastes as a foot long maggot that Night Hags herd and corral to sell to the Demons and Devils to make more Demons and Devils. Neutral people are a little trickier, noone goes to Mechanus or Limbo when they die. It's determined by whether your sell fell closer to good or evil on the axis. To get an idea of the outer planes imagine a compass, the 16 cardinal points would each point to a plane.

Wow, they've changed the cosmology a lot since 2e Planescape. Where is this info about the new purpose of the River Styx and the lack of Limbo/Mechanus petitioners from? I didn't remember seeing that in the Manual of the Planes.