Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think most goalie cuts are one size fits all. I've never seen them identified by anything other than "Goal Cut"

Congrats you lucky gently caress :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

Martytoof posted:

I think most goalie cuts are one size fits all. I've never seen them identified by anything other than "Goal Cut"

Congrats you lucky gently caress :haw:

Thanks, heh. I was browsing their site, but the sizing selection didn't go away after choosing goal cut, and I was a little miffed. Still easing back in to this goalie thing.

On a good note, got a shutout tonight 11-0. To be fair, the other team only had about 11 shots on goal.

e: Also, if I get pick of any jersey off the site, I'm looking at these two.

Then it comes down to if I want my name in English, or Russian (Cyrillic?). Not much of a difference with either.

Rick Grimes fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 15, 2008

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Few pics from tonight. My buddy Justin captioned some of them on Facebook.

"Kozak in butterfly. He wonders why he blew his knee out."

"Halftime"

Blurry shot, but yeah.

Not a big fan of the dangler. But, I was hit twice in the throat last session, luckily nothing too hard.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Rick Grimes posted:

Blurry shot, but yeah.

Are you just posing or is that your stance?

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
Is that a camera in the goal?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Is that a camera in the goal?

If its anything like our nets, that's just HD foam sticking out the top of the middle bar wrap.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

nahanahs posted:

Are you just posing or is that your stance?

God no, that's not my stance. I was coming toward the bench, and saw the camera pointed at me, so I just put the arms out and got in a half assed position.

And yeah, that's just foam in the net.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!
Currently holding a 4-1 record in my league. 2 goals against in each of the last two games. Most I let up was 8 by the top team. Next game is against the team I used to skate up for so I have to work extra hard.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:siren: new project time! :siren:

I guess we'll call this the "before" shot. Stay tuned, hockey fans!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
This may be a stupid question but I've only played ice hockey. What do goalies do in roller when you guys sweat a ton/drink water and it basically drips all over? Do roller hockey refs carry a rag to dry the crease area out or anything?

dexter
Jun 24, 2003

soggybagel posted:

This may be a stupid question but I've only played ice hockey. What do goalies do in roller when you guys sweat a ton/drink water and it basically drips all over? Do roller hockey refs carry a rag to dry the crease area out or anything?

The goalies in my league throw a big towel in the net and they just move it around with their stick to dry everything up.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Towel in the net, using the tape on the blade to mop up, as well as the backside of the glove. I also usually wear head to toe wicking poo poo so there's less drippage.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
I'm not allowed to have water at the net with me. It really sucks by the third period :(

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

nahanahs posted:

I'm not allowed to have water at the net with me. It really sucks by the third period :(

Are you kidding me? I would go batshit if any rink I played at had that rule, unless they want to delay the game every time I need a drink by going to the bench. And it would be verrrrry often.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Are you kidding me? I would go batshit if any rink I played at had that rule, unless they want to delay the game every time I need a drink by going to the bench. And it would be verrrrry often.

If he's playing roller hockey its not that surprising. Although, even then there are water bottles that won't spill all over the place.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
I've never played at a place that allows water. More importantly, etiquette says that water should not be drank.

Part of the "fun" of being a roller hockey goalie is in drinking two gallons of water the day before the tournament and drinking a liter every intermission.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Some goalies bring water onto the floor at Epic. I just keep it on the bench and get some at half, or when a team calls timeout.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Don't goalies sweat like motherfuckers? Shouldn't they be allowed to drink water as to not die or dehydration?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No water would suck, but I'm a sloppy drinker so I can see why they'd have a problem with it :haw:

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

Rick Grimes posted:

Some goalies bring water onto the floor at Epic. I just keep it on the bench and get some at half, or when a team calls timeout.
Do you really play halves?

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!
loving lovely rink is turning my pads blue!

Hard to see with the flash:

Mr cleans magic eraser doesn't make a dent.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

crashlanding posted:

PIHA and MLRH do halves, college does periods. Really depends on the league.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I would ask the rink what they use to paint the crease and go from there.

Maybe fire off an email to Battram and see what he would recommend. Perhaps ask him what solvents are safe to use around the synthetics that make up the pad?

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Suspicious posted:

Don't goalies sweat like motherfuckers? Shouldn't they be allowed to drink water as to not die or dehydration?

Yes, I do sweat like a motherfucker and the rink management's response when I ask if I can at least go to the bench without a delay of game penalty (yes, they'll do it) is something like a confused look and a shrug.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)
We had our first game yesterday. 5 goals against on 16 shots :v: We were leading 2-1 after 2 periods but goddamn am I out of shape. My positioning goes straight to hell when I get tired and it was directly at fault for 2 goals in the 3rd, although all 5 goals were caused by lovely defense. We should actually be pretty decent this year once we get in a little better shape. I had 3 or 4 nice pad stops and a couple decent gloves and blockers in the first half of the game so I'm not too torn up about the loss.

we also got robbed of a goal in the 1st by a quick whistle.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

crashlanding posted:

Yeah, my roller league does 22 minute halves.

Also, I almost got tossed today for telling a ref to do his job. One of our Defensemen got a heavy two hander across the gloves, and nothing gets called. Really blatant, right in front of him. My teammates are already yelling at him, but of course I have to put my two cents in.

:itjb: "Hey ref, are you blind? You gonna call anything?"
:hitler: "Keep talking goal, you're gonna get tossed."

So I laugh at him. He repeats it and adds "You want to get a game too?"

He was a dick all night.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

How did I just now see this thread?

Anyway, I've never really played any organized league hockey, only roller intramural (which is semi-organized I guess) and pick-up games with friends. I suck at ice skating, so I never really tried ice hockey.

I absolutely love playing goalie. I don't know what it is about it, but I just love gloving a sick wrister out of the air, and whatnot. I love playing wing and scoring the goals, probably because that's what I played in soccer, but nothing tops the thrill of playing goalie in hockey imo.

Sometimes (read: all the time) I wish I had any sort of organized league hockey around where I grew up. I would have loved to have played competitively. The lack of teams in my area growing up coupled with the fact that equipment is so expensive kept me from playing. I could only afford to play soccer (not goalie).

Now that I'm out of school and working, I need to find ways to stay fit, and I've been telling myself for 3 years now that I'm going to look for a recreational hockey league in the area. Just some scrub league to get back into it and stay active. How would I go about finding if there's any non-super competitive leagues in my area besides Google?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Find a rink (roller, in your case) near you first. Once you find one, just ask anyone who works there (though going to the management office, or as high up the chain as you can, is preferable). Chances are that if they don't know, they'll direct you to someone who does, and if that particular rink doesn't offer anything they will be able to direct you to someone on staff (or not on staff) who knows something about the area.

And not to be dismissive of roller hockey, I would say that you really ought to give ice a try as well. I sucked at skating too, but it's surprisingly easy to pick up to the point where you can have fun.

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

Waiting for World of Starcraft
Anyone have any experience with Nike Bauer Vapor X gear? Goaliemonkey is closing it out and not surprisingly, my blocker is calling apart as we speak so i was thinking of picking up the combo leg pads/trapper/blocker dealie for $225 + shipping.

EDIT: Also, since playing I've gotten a lot better at stopping 5-hole goals, but now my new thing is stopping with the paddle of my stick and the drat puck just rolling up my stick and in. God i hate roller pucks, it even worse when they just knuckle and drop out of nowhere, luckily that only happens with the lovely light "pracitce" pucks and not the ones we play games with.

fenix424 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 21, 2008

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
Evening, goaltenders. You can add on another ice hockey goalie to your list if you're making one. I've been reading through this thread and decided to give my local 6 AM shinny hockey a shot. So, I woke up this morning psyched to get on the ice for the first time in almost a week and hoping that there'd be fairly high caliber shooters willing to have a goalie come for them to shoot on (and even pay for me if I couldn't get in for free :haw: ). I get to the rink and see a goalie walking in so I think, 'ok maybe he's the only one and we can have a full ice game.' I talk to him and he tells me that they're actually organized and have 2 goalies ready for this morning, so I gave him my email address and went the 20 minutes back home and right back to bed without even getting on the ice. :(

On the plus side, if I ever get an email back from him and get in I'll at least know that there's plenty of players that show up, although I didn't end up checking to see how good they were; I already left when I thought that I should have stuck around to see.

Also, if anyone lives near the NY/CT border near i95 I may have an opportunity for you in the fall if you're reliable since I'm leaving the area. :3:

Last thing, how often do any of you get your gear cleaned, if at all?

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Clean my gear? That's a good one. I spray everything down with febreeze every now and again. That's about it though.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Joey Walnuts posted:

Clean my gear? That's a good one. I spray everything down with febreeze every now and again. That's about it though.

I'm lucky if I do that.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I soak my gloves and C/A in extremely hot water, then hang dry it. Then febreeze (antimicrobial) it.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Here's the only decent pic of me playing with my gear.

Helmet: Hackva custom shortened chin after talking with Gabe
Catch: TPS Pro Summit
Waffle: TPS Pro Summit
Chest: Simmons 993
Breezers: Louisville TPS R8 Response
Pads: 993 34+2's
Skates: Nike XIX's

I'm not a huge fan of the skates and I think I'll move over to the One75's or 95's depending on fit. The pads are great but the 994's fixed one of the problems I had with the 993's and that's the thickness of the thigh rise on the inside edge. I'm taking the summer off to put on some muscle and condition but I think I'll buy some UL5's before the next season. I know lots of people have issues with Simmons ripping off other companies products but at half the price I can live with that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What is the 993/4 a ghost of? It looks kind of like an RBK style pad maybe?

I have no problems with Battram/Simmons ghosting other manufacturers. The market for these guys is basically someone who won't drop $1500 on a big name pro pad, but doesn't want to drop $800 on the equivalent "Sr." level pad either, so they'd either go with a used pro pad or one of these off-brand manufacturers, neither resulting in the original big-brand manufacturer receiving any cash in hand.

Now as far as ethics of ghosting are concerned, I would easily put my ethics on the backburner for a cheap pro quality pad, so w/e :3:

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Martytoof posted:

What is the 993/4 a ghost of? It looks kind of like an RBK style pad maybe?

I have no problems with Battram/Simmons ghosting other manufacturers. The market for these guys is basically someone who won't drop $1500 on a big name pro pad, but doesn't want to drop $800 on the equivalent "Sr." level pad either, so they'd either go with a used pro pad or one of these off-brand manufacturers, neither resulting in the original big-brand manufacturer receiving any cash in hand.

Now as far as ethics of ghosting are concerned, I would easily put my ethics on the backburner for a cheap pro quality pad, so w/e :3:

993/994 is really their most original design, the leg channels are similar but that's about it. The pad itself is much more flexable so when it comes to pad stiffness I'd say 993/4 -> RBK -> TPS Response. I felt more mobile when trying on the Response vs. RBK because the top of the pad isn't holding your leg at all. That being said MAF is the most mobile goalie I've ever seen when pad sliding and he uses RBK pads, it's all about what you're comfortable with.

I ended up ordering the Simmons Ultra Light 5's today. Ordering pads over the phone without seeing how they size up always scares me since its such a huge investment. I'm 6'1" tall with normal length legs and my ATK was the low limit of 36" 993's. They tried to push the 36+2"ers but I thought the 34+2" would fit me better since my last pads were 34" and I was right. It turns out the 36+2" UL5 knee is only 1" higher than my 993s so they should be perfect and now I'm at the NHL limit for pad height! An extra 4" on the ice is always welcome and I'll enjoy the extra flexibility.

If any Minnesota goalies want to try on some 993's before blindly ordering them from the site hit me up and I'll let you see how they fit.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
I had the chance to swing by Simmons on the way back from Cambridge last week and I picked up a 993 glove, which is a pretty decent clone of the RBK feel (the backhand protection is poo poo, but that's why I own extra foam and a sewing awl).

That said, I also stepped into all of their pads, and let me be clear: the 994 is not an original pad in the least. It's almost a perfect clone of the One95 pad, which is itself highly similar to the second-gen Itech 9.8/RX9 series. At the end of the day though, who cares? There's more than a kernel of truth to Martytoof's comment about Simmons hitting a market point that would not have resulted in sales to the "original" manufacturers (although I think there's more overlap than he thinks). Besides, when you really think about it, the only completely innovative pads that have come out in the last 10 years are the Smith SP1000/Vaughn Velocity (box pad), the CCM Blockade (slightly evolved flatface box pad), and the Koho 590 (and this is a stretch). Sure, there's been minor modifications or improvements to things based on construction, strapping, offset/sliding toes, gusset design, and the like, but the fact of the matter is that everyone has been cribbing from one another since Smith changed the entire game of hockey. The only thing you can really get on Simmons for is that the owner and half of the workers are a dicks and have told many a half-truth to my face to try and get a sale, but I don't really care enough to not save some cash. My chest protector is the next best thing to a Brown, has lasted as long as a Brown, and was a third of the price. I haven't tried the glove out yet, but it should be fun to see how it works tomorrow.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:siren: DIY MASK UPDATE :siren:

Primed and ready to rock. Final mask will be completely white with these two on one side and the other:

Its not a pro paintjob by any stretch, but I'll be happy with this DIY job if it comes out well!

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Martytoof posted:

:siren: DIY MASK UPDATE :siren:

Primed and ready to rock. Final mask will be completely white with these two on one side and the other:

Its not a pro paintjob by any stretch, but I'll be happy with this DIY job if it comes out well!

Do you have a writeup on how you're doing this? Are you clear coating it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I'm not sure why you would only paint 1/2 of your helmet of any worth. :colbert:

• Locked thread